9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
October 7, 2015, 10:25am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
JT did not bring the subject of sarcastic fans up PH did, and then in his own words JT said "as he raised the subject,  the discussion went on from there"
Of course I don`t agree with the actions of a minority of supporters but thats what it is a minority, unless you live in a police state thats vocally what you get in a football crowd FFS get over it and get on with it, nothing said about the support that Arnold got before and after the match as well as the applause Macca got at half time.
Hurst was entitled to have his say after a win coming when a good deal of supporters thought he had chosen the wrong team on the night, but it rankled with me as he used a broad brush that seemed to include all the support.
The fans have given him a rough time on here lately, and its his platform to get one back I suppose, full marks to JT for his support on the fans behalf regarding the history of hurt that PH walked into late,  something he can and will walk out of someday we can`t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
arryarryarry
October 7, 2015, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

It's not clear from your answer whether you went to work after the game. If not then surely that must be one of the reasons? People working evenings?
I thought historically mid-week league games always attract lower crowds...

EDIT:- Just read your contributions on other threads so obviously you were there (I thought it was strange!). Point still stands though-shift workers?

I was at the game and first time on a PC was at work this morning, but 1,200 shift workers

Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
barralad
October 7, 2015, 11:13am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was at the game and first time on a PC was at work this morning, but 1,200 shift workers

Doh! Obviously it isn't the only reason but a contributing factor?

Go on agree with me. You know you want to....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
NorthseaMariner
October 7, 2015, 12:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
I did cheer when Macca caught the cross, but, for me anyway, it wasn't sarcasm more trying to encourage him to forget his blunder and pleased to see it wasn't still in his, where he could have been afraid to come and confidently catch the cross.
Having said that, I suppose it could have been taken as sarcasm, but maybe like me, that's not how it was meant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
Les Brechin
October 7, 2015, 1:11pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
I did cheer when Macca caught the cross, but, for me anyway, it wasn't sarcasm more trying to encourage him to forget his blunder and pleased to see it wasn't still in his, where he could have been afraid to come and confidently catch the cross.
Having said that, I suppose it could have been taken as sarcasm, but maybe like me, that's not how it was meant.

I think it's just a natural reaction when a keeper has made a big howler that fans will cheer louder than normal when he makes the next routine stop/catch.

It's all football fans in general not just Town fans.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
October 7, 2015, 1:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Les Brechin

I think it's just a natural reaction when a keeper has made a big howler that fans will cheer louder than normal when he makes the next routine stop/catch.

It's all football fans in general not just Town fans.

You are absolutely right. I cannot believe the manager has made an issue of it to spoil what was a good night. Its a normal reaction which would have occurred at every other ground in the country.

When he made the error, which to be honest is the worst goalkeeping error I have seen at Blundell Park, you could hear a pin drop. There was no abuse given, just a stunned silence.

I think the manager is being far too sensitive on things like this - you cannot have our brilliant  fans, giving their all for the club home and away and expect them never to react to a bad display or bad mistake.

On a more positive note, those of us who thought this season would come right because we have some damned good players and a manager who has got them playing some superb football may be proved right, but we will see how it pans out.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
Maringer
October 7, 2015, 1:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
It was certainly more of a jeer than a cheer, if you ask me.

Hurst is generally very touchy in defence of his players which is fair enough, from my point of view. Probably goes some way to explaining why there is such a good atmosphere around the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
FishOutOfWater
October 7, 2015, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37

You are absolutely right. I cannot believe the manager has made an issue of it to spoil what was a good night. Its a normal reaction which would have occurred at every other ground in the country.

When he made the error, which to be honest is the worst goalkeeping error I have seen at Blundell Park, you could hear a pin drop. There was no abuse given, just a stunned silence.

I think the manager is being far too sensitive on things like this - you cannot have our brilliant  fans, giving their all for the club home and away and expect them never to react to a bad display or bad mistake.

On a more positive note, those of us who thought this season would come right because we have some damned good players and a manager who has got them playing some superb football may be proved right, but we will see how it pans out.

Wasn't there last night but I do feel for McKeown as he has been getting back to his best and his old self after his early season mishaps

Let's hope everyone can draw a line under this and get behind him no matter what - the sooner he gets back to making routine saves the sooner we can move on but if there is any unease from the terraces he'll sense it I'm sure and it won't help his concentration

Not having seen the incident, I can't judge how bad his mistake was but JT kept bringing it up on the radio commentary as the worst he'd ever seen too (until Buckley more or less told him to zip it! )

I remember his clanger at Gateshead when he let the ball go through his hands in to the net...I think the whole away end just wanted to believe it was a bad dream but Macca had to stand there facing up to what he'd done. It takes some character to face up to your mistakes, especially when they are so out of character and you must want to just hide away. I guess the same last night - fortunately Nathan Arnold's inspired performance rescued the situation

Thinking of bad goal-keeping errors at BP, I'd have to say Nick Colgan's scrambling around in the mud against Bournemouth has to be my number 1 comedy moment, although I wasn't laughing at the time. I don't think he ever regained the trust of fans again (not that we had the same rapport with him as we do with McKeown) so just hope that last night's gaff won't be repeated

One more thing ( apologies for going on about this ) anyone hear David Burns say he was at the football last night and saying "keepers don't wear pink if you're going to mess up" or words to that effect. No mention of the win, no mention of our goals or the support....I don't actually mind his show but if he had to comment on his night out in Cleethorpes, why twist the knife when there were much more positive things on show last night  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 86
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Mountain
Molehill

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
BottesfordMariner
October 7, 2015, 2:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Its unfortunate that after a good win the attention is focused on Hurst and his relationship with the fans.

He brought the topic up in the interview and is clearly something thats continues to irk him. I have lost count how many times he has had a moan about a certain section of the support...it seems to be after every game.

Hurst is right in saying we need everyone pulling in the same direction. I agree with him on that. I also agree that it doesnt help the players or the team when some fans get on their backs. He has said on numerous occasions the team sometimes find it difficult at home and are a bit more relaxed away from home.

But in my experience Towns fans  and the atmosphere at BP is just like EVERY other team around the country. All fans have their favourites (as do managers!!) and those who are not so.

It was simply a really bad mistake by Macca. Simple as. No excuses he should do better than that and of course the lad knows that himself. Whilst i dont condone the sarcastic cheers that followed i can tell you now the same would have happened at any other ground in the country. The majority of fans got behind him i thought.

with regards to Tomlinson. I think he is a useful addition to the squad. Cant fault his work rate and endeavour. But in the games he has played he has rarely threatened to score. We have 2 guys on the bench who were scoring for fun almost so it puzzles fans that they are ommitted and he starts. So unless he has a blinder and puts a couple in the net there are going to be some fans who will question (maybe vocally) why he is in and the other arent. last night was a typical Tommo performance -plenty of running around but no end product. Hardly surprising then if some cheer when he is substituted. Again maybe not great for the player but again hardly a thing unique to BP. I thought the cheers were more for Bogle & Amond coming on rather than necessarily having a 'go' at Tomlinson myself.

Hurst needs to appreciate that for us town fans being down in this league is purgatory and we are all desperate to get back into the FL where we belong. The frustration for some fans manifests itslef in the jeers and boos. . Might not be right but thats the way it is..and as i say BP is not unique in that respect.

If you want to get rid of the negativity Hurst the teams needs to go out and put on a performance on a more regular basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hursts interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.