9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
October 7, 2015, 2:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
I don't like it when Hurst slags off the fans. I think it's really unprofessional.  GTFC is a business and how many businesses  are abusive about their customers?

The interview was spikey from the start and not a very good advert for our club.

Thought John Tondeur did a great job though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
Caesar
October 7, 2015, 3:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I don't like it when Hurst slags off the fans. I think it's really unprofessional.  GTFC is a business and how many businesses  are abusive about their customers?

The interview was spikey from the start and not a very good advert for our club.

Thought John Tondeur did a great job though.

See your point but football is a business like no other, we are not purchasing a product when we go see Town, we are actually a part of that product.  Also while any business wants to make money as its prime aim, in football making money is more of a secondary aim for most involved in it.  

So don't think it is as clear cut as that, Hurst has used his interview to try and get the fans united again in a way we were before the season, think he probably chose the wrong way to go about it but wasn't that critical of fans always focusing on the word minority.  

Mind you agree 100% that John Tondeur (who I often think is unfairly criticised for his interviews) did a v good job in that interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
Mrs Doyle
October 7, 2015, 3:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Fantastic interview Hurst is absolutely spot on his ethos is building a team in spirit as well as effort it is this spirit which makes players want to run through walls to help each other. Is it to much to expect fans to do the same, this negativity is well known here remember the shouty one famously having a face to face with fans?? Hurst remembers all the booing and jeering it is counter productive ffs we are on the brink of a top spot are we not all happy??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
arryarryarry
October 7, 2015, 4:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Fantastic interview Hurst is absolutely spot on his ethos is building a team in spirit as well as effort it is this spirit which makes players want to run through walls to help each other. Is it to much to expect fans to do the same, this negativity is well known here remember the shouty one famously having a face to face with fans?? Hurst remembers all the booing and jeering it is counter productive ffs we are on the brink of a top spot are we not all happy??

I don't get this constant emphasis on Paul Hurst being special about building team spirit as well as effort, surely most if not all managers who want to be successful are doing the same.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
ackomariner
October 7, 2015, 4:17pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't get this constant emphasis on Paul Hurst being special about building team spirit as well as effort, surely most if not all managers who want to be successful are doing the same.

The fans got the spirit going last year after forest green, the fans kept it going again with operation promotion...... So its not all the manager as Mrs Doyle tries to get across

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
big al
October 7, 2015, 4:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
He is provoked into making a comment by JT and so he should be. There are quite a few fans that are 'Hurst out' and others who simply doubt his ability and that is what JT is alluding to. What's PH going to say? I love them and feel great about the fact they want me out of a job. For me it's the playing out of a media role play that's inevitable - least it's not boring and at least he doesn't deflect all these questions. There are too many times when 'PH's black and white army' is belted out during games, to doubt the fact, he is well regarded by many. At the end of the day I don't mind the dissenting voices, however loud they are. It would all be too cosy otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2015, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
JT was fine last night - as was Paul Hurst, someone once said ' you can't please all of the people all of the time' and PH needs to remember that. We played pretty well last night and should/would have been out of sight last night had the strikers taken their chances and Macca not made his howler.

Many sat near me last night are frustrated with the needless points we've dropped and the feeling when Gateshead scored was 'here we go again', surely he feels that himself? There is a feeling out there that, on the balance of play, Wrexham (where we ironically drew) could have been the only game we've lost so far.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
ginnywings
October 7, 2015, 4:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,105
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ackomariner

The fans got the spirit going last year after forest green, the fans kept it going again with operation promotion...... So its not all the manager as Mrs Doyle tries to get across

Agree totally.

Accentuate the positive Paul and as you rightly pointed out several times, it is a minority, so just get on with it and ignore them. Bigger crowds bring with them more mouthy fans. We aint Boston or Ilkeston.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
Rodley Mariner
October 7, 2015, 5:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I wonder if pressure just tells a bit sometimes. Must be pretty horrible at times when people are speculating over your job and when I think how nervous I am watching the last five minutes of a game so god only knows what it's like for managers. I know he's paid to deal with it and a positive interview would have been more use but he generally conducts himself in a very dignified way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
oldun
October 7, 2015, 5:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
There were "fans" in the main stand giving him "advice" on a regular basis last night. " Get some proper strikers on Hurst" was a regular call. His ability as a manager was brought into question. When Tomlinson failed to put a chance away "get him off Hurst" rang out, and so on. Not unusual at games I guess but he surely has the right to reply and he was quite measured in his response to JT. One thing he made very clear was that as far as he is concerned it is the team above any individual and will always be the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hursts interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.