October 7, 2015, 9:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
Heh !

Go steady lads.

This thread is getting far too sensible .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 7, 2015, 10:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chaos33
I agree with RRFC and Barra on this too.

Someone obviously doesn't!

Seems a shame to me that a side works hard & plays well for an hour or so and then when the strikers are swapped the pattern changes to more defensive. Maybe just tiredness in midfield, maybe deliberate, maybe both, but people seem agreed Bogle and Amond didn't get the support the other 2 did earlier in the game.

Fot a home game we needed to win I'd have started with the best two and made the most of possession and buried Gateshead by half time then bring on the reserve and loanee to run about for the final quarter. Wasn't all the pre-match talk about going for the jugular? While it's great to see super strikes from Arnold and I'm really pleased for the lad, they should have been the icing on the cake, not relied on to win the game.

But there again, I'm as pig ignorant about this game as every other fan. Managers know best.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
LondonMariner43
October 7, 2015, 10:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64

Seems a shame to me that a side works hard & plays well for an hour or so and then when the strikers are swapped the pattern changes to more defensive. Maybe just tiredness in midfield, maybe deliberate, maybe both, but people seem agreed Bogle and Amond didn't get the support the other 2 did earlier in the game.

Fot a home game we needed to win I'd have started with the best two and made the most of possession and buried Gateshead by half time then bring on the reserve and loanee to run about for the final quarter. Wasn't all the pre-match talk about going for the jugular? While it's great to see super strikes from Arnold and I'm really pleased for the lad, they should have been the icing on the cake, not relied on to win the game.

But there again, I'm as pig ignorant about this game as every other fan. Managers know best.

why is JPP a 'reserve'.  Arguably the best striker at the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
Mariner1980
October 7, 2015, 10:16am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
I suspect the choice of strikers has more to do with improving the defensive record than the scoring record.

As much as Lenny was maligned, you could rely on being able to pump it out to him and he would hold it up. Rather that it getting lost and straight back at our defense.
Could well be where a few of our silly goals have come from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
barralad
October 7, 2015, 10:17am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121

There you go I agree with you and then you spoil it.   I don't think the "pattern changed" deliberately nor that Bogle and Amond "didn't get the support the other two did earlier in the game" I'm utterly convinced we didn't attack with the same vigour because we didn't press far enough up the park. The first half was as much about a pressing game forcing Gateshead into errors on a difficult surface. Would we have had the same success with Amond and Bogle up top. It's at least a moot point. In balance, as I said in another thread, I would have fancied Amond in particular to have stuck away one or more of the chances that Tomlinson didn't.
We might not agree with Hurst's selection but I think last night's should have proved to any doubters that it is certainly a viable option.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 7, 2015, 10:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Possibly so, I don't dislike him. But he was the reserve at the start of the season in the minds of most supporters based on previous performance. And, his fitness issues make it a bit dodgy to reply on him being the main goalscorer for a championship seeking side.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
arryarryarry
October 7, 2015, 10:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113

I assume he meant that for most of last season and the start of this season he wasn't first choice.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 7, 2015, 10:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

There you go I agree with you and then you spoil it.   I don't think the "pattern changed" deliberately nor that Bogle and Amond "didn't get the support the other two did earlier in the game" I'm utterly convinced we didn't attack with the same vigour because we didn't press far enough up the park. The first half was as much about a pressing game forcing Gateshead into errors on a difficult surface. Would we have had the same success with Amond and Bogle up top. It's at least a moot point. In balance, as I said in another thread, I would have fancied Amond in particular to have stuck away one or more of the chances that Tomlinson didn't.
We might not agree with Hurst's selection but I think last night's should have proved to any doubters that it is certainly a viable option.

Same difference really Barra. I agree with you on that. My worry would be that Tomlinson signs on and turns into this season's LJL, first name on the team sheet not because he scores goals but because he runs about a lot and it helps the defensive aspect of the side.

Bogle is already a good player. I don't agree with this "bring him on gently" philosophy. If he's worth £50k as he is then he's worth playing and doing his learning on the park. He won't learn much warming the bench and doing the odd 15-20 minutes to appease the faithful. I doubt he will learn much about being a striker from the manager on the training pitch either. He needs games and more games and then he will do the business eventually. No good needing him to come in and do it in in February when he's spent the last 4 months suffering from piles in the dugout.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Agree with both of you again.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
Rick12
October 7, 2015, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

Feel that strikers have to earn the right to be called the best here.No one should be labelled a reserve unless they merit it.Pitman in fairness is not a bad player to have at this club and certainly if he is doing the business shouldent  be dropped.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strikers - a different perspective

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.