6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Magsinrio
October 7, 2015, 2:04pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +220
Gold Stars: 2
I think we should also take stock of the fact that the teams he has picked have not lost to FGR, Wrexham or Gateshead. Three difficult teams who have caused plenty of problems for others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
ginnywings
October 7, 2015, 2:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,086
Gold Stars: 548
I think although Bogle is a natural goalscorer, his decision making is a cause for concern to Hurst as he does tend to lose possession in some dangerous places for the team. It's a tough one because had him and Amond started last night, we may have swept them away in the 30 minute purple patch at the beginning of the game, but then we may not have played as well as a unit if Bogle had been trying to score every time he got the ball instead of getting his head up and playing in others. If we had scored the goals our domination merited in that first half, then you couldn't argue with Hursts choices. The fact that we didn't led to calls for the front two to be replaced.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
Rodley Mariner
October 7, 2015, 3:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,237
Gold Stars: 176
I'm surprised neither of Amond or Bogle are starting but we're averaging more points per game when neither of them start than when both of them or just Bogle did. We've only lost two games this season and Amond and Bogle started up front in both of them. Statisitics only tell half the story but I'd suggest they hint that PH's decision making isn't quite as crazy as some on here like to suggest.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
ackomariner
October 7, 2015, 4:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I'm surprised neither of Amond or Bogle are starting but we're averaging more points per game when neither of them start than when both of them or just Bogle did. We've only lost two games this season and Amond and Bogle started up front in both of them. Statisitics only tell half the story but I'd suggest they hint that PH's decision making isn't quite as crazy as some on here like to suggest.

I think what's going on here is, its a very fine balancing act between getting goals or keeping a very tight defence.
We started off with goals galore and a very panicked defensive unit when put under the slightest pressure, so ph has now reverted back to what he does best. Defence first and foremost.
He's bought Tomlinson in on loan who will do the same as Lewis did last season for him, defend from the front, run round all day long, but maybe needs 6 games to get a goal. Ph will take that all day long and hope we can nick a goal from somewhere somehow, by who it doesn't really matter.
As for bogle and podge, I don't know what will happen but they won't be happy sat on the bench, because I wouldn't

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
Maringer
October 7, 2015, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,381
Gold Stars: 184
Tomlinson last season: 14 goals in 46 appearances for a bottom half team.

That's a bit better than 1 in every 6 games. Could and perhaps should have had a couple for us by now but generally, he's not played badly. If he can regain his Lincoln form, all the better. I'm guessing his loan spell will perhaps be extended?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
ackomariner
October 7, 2015, 4:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Tomlinson last season: 14 goals in 46 appearances for a bottom half team.

That's a bit better than 1 in every 6 games. Could and perhaps should have had a couple for us by now but generally, he's not played badly. If he can regain his Lincoln form, all the better. I'm guessing his loan spell will perhaps be extended?

I don't think he's a bad player, quite the apposite. I thought he had a half decent game last night tbh, but by reading things, I'm in the minority.
Wouldn't mind seeing him have a go with podge, because the movement from both of them is very good.
Getting ready for a slaying  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 7, 2015, 4:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It's a tricky situation though it is one that managers are paid to face.

On one hand an unbeaten run based on last season's ethic , on the other hand the two players signed to take us one step further are sitting on the bench.

On one hand draws against teams above us in the table and a win against Gateshead, on the other hand the draws could easily have been wins and we would have been up with FGR & Cheltenham.

Perhaps most importantly - on one hand the unbeaten run continues, on the other hand the margins in several matches have been thin to say the least. All it would take is one error and ......... well, there's no room for error is there? But for two super strikes by Arnold last night would we have had the fire power to come back from 0-1? It's a moot point, certainly not guaranteed.

I agree with Ginny that Bogle has a bit to to learn on decision making but presumably, having watched him for a long time, the manager knew about that before spending £50k on the lad. He was bought because he scored goals for fun not because he was Einstein, so yes he has to learn but also the team has to adapt to get the best from him. One thing's for sure, he won't be learning much sat on the bench. Otherwise he's just a very expensive mascot.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
Maringer
October 7, 2015, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think we're worrying too much about the strikers. We just need Arnold to knock in a couple of belters every game and we'll be sorted.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
Rodley Mariner
October 7, 2015, 4:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,237
Gold Stars: 176

On one hand draws against teams above us in the table and a win against Gateshead, on the other hand the draws could easily have been wins and we would have been up with FGR & Cheltenham.

Perhaps most importantly - on one hand the unbeaten run continues, on the other hand the margins in several matches have been thin to say the least. All it would take is one error and ......... well, there's no room for error is there? But for two super strikes by Arnold last night would we have had the fire power to come back from 0-1? It's a moot point, certainly not guaranteed.

Or maybe we might have lost the games we've drawn. You're right about fine margins but who can say we wouldn't have drawn 2-2 last night if he'd played Bogle and Amond or lost 2-1 on Saturday. Like you say we might have beaten Forest Green and stuffed Gateshead. Obviously we don't know but surely 8 games unbeaten he deserves some level of trust that he is getting it right?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
Maringer
October 7, 2015, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
One thing about Bogle's play that drives me mad is that when he gets possession he invariably tries some sort of a trick - a step-over or flick. Now, this isn't bad when he's trying to beat a man (and he almost got through a couple of challenges with a trick last night), but he also seems to attempt it when there is nobody near him and it can't possibly achieve anything!

The very best players only use such tricks sparingly because good old-fashioned running, close-control and movement is generally what is required to succeed. Bogle's got those in his locker as well so I, for one, would be pleased to see him simply laying the ball off more frequently instead of attempting various tricks in the midfield area. His best touch last night was a first time lay-off finding a good Amond run so I'd like to see more effective, simple play of that sort than backheels which get him and us nowhere.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strikers - a different perspective

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.