Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strikers - a different perspective
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 164 Guests

Strikers - a different perspective

This thread currently has 8,563 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
October 8, 2015, 10:02am
Guest User
I posted pre-season (before Bogle & Amond had signed) that a front two of Pittman and Arnold would be good enough to get us out of this league, and that we shouldn't panic about the lack of signings (panicking was rather in-vogue at the time). Still hold that view - though I'm not saying that would be my first-choice pairing.

Thing is, despite our perceived strength in the striker department, it took two wonderful individual goals from Arnold to get us the points on Tuesday - without them we'd be reading bitter comments about Tomlinson's Shop-like effort straight to the keeper when unmarked in front of goal.

Quite sure that ginnywings is correct when he says PH would rather out-defend opponents than out-score them (even at home) - and that's clearly why Tomlinson is playing. It's also the reason I didn't renew my ST. Given our outstanding away form last season, it's obvious that it was our poor home form which cost us promotion - which I put down to Hurst's lack of adventure at BP. Doesn't look like that will change, though the points-per-game argument is fairly compelling justification. I've no beef with PH for trying to do things his way....it's my choice not to fork out plenty to watch it.

Seems to be a slight danger that 'Bogle & Amond' are becoming a double-act....we play both or neither! I'd start JPP and Amond, and sub the Pope after an hour with Bogle. Of more concern to me is midfield: Mackreth is the right type of player - but not quite good enough IMO.
And we need a very good midfielder to cover for Disley, on whom we're relying too much.
Reply: 40 - 57
Abdul19
October 8, 2015, 12:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Tommy

I understand why people say that, but I don't think it's that important.

It comes down to a Manager's coaching/management philosophy rather than the position they played as a player. The position they used to play can influence their coaching philosophy, but there's plenty that go against the theory too.

Eddie Howe was a defender but his Bournemouth team play nice attacking football.

George Graham was a forward but his teams were the dull but effective type, famously grinding out 1-0 wins.

Besides, let's not forget we are the 2nd highest goalscorers in the division.

Exactly. Even the glorious 97/98 team (managed by a striker) was built on defence; we only scored 55 goals (2 less than relegated Carlisle!) and our top scoring striker got 8.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
ginnywings
October 8, 2015, 1:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Abdul19

Exactly. Even the glorious 97/98 team (managed by a striker) was built on defence; we only scored 55 goals (2 less than relegated Carlisle!) and our top scoring striker got 8.

Been and had a look at the stats for that season. We won 19 and lost 12, with 15 draws. One more defeat and we would have finished 9th. We only won one of our first 8 games and the manager was getting plenty of stick as i recall. Fine margins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
barralad
October 8, 2015, 1:54pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

Been and had a look at the stats for that season. We won 19 and lost 12, with 15 draws. One more defeat and we would have finished 9th. We only won one of our first 8 games and the manager was getting plenty of stick as i recall. Fine margins.

And after a very good pre season then as well if I recall

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
Maringer
October 8, 2015, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
In this day of t'internet, there would have been howls for his dismissal long before now. We had 20 points after 15 games that season and were one of the biggest spenders in the transfer market, as I recall. We were in 17th place at the end of October! Boo, Buckleys Out!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
KingstonMariner
October 8, 2015, 7:24pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
There was a lot of discontent and folk wanting him out. Lots didn't want him back at all. No need for your electronical messaging systems to spread discontent.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
rancido
October 8, 2015, 8:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96

Someone obviously doesn't!

Seems a shame to me that a side works hard & plays well for an hour or so and then when the strikers are swapped the pattern changes to more defensive. Maybe just tiredness in midfield, maybe deliberate, maybe both, but people seem agreed Bogle and Amond didn't get the support the other 2 did earlier in the game.

Fot a home game we needed to win I'd have started with the best two and made the most of possession and buried Gateshead by half time then bring on the reserve and loanee to run about for the final quarter. Wasn't all the pre-match talk about going for the jugular? While it's great to see super strikes from Arnold and I'm really pleased for the lad, they should have been the icing on the cake, not relied on to win the game.

But there again, I'm as pig ignorant about this game as every other fan. Managers know best.

That could have been the case but I think you could be doing Gateshead a disservice here. They made a couple of subs and changed their approach at around the same part of the game. It's easy to forget that the opposing manager also sees the game develop and introduces his own counter-measures.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
HackneyHaddock
October 8, 2015, 10:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Of course Curtley Ambrose and Courtney Walsh are the best pairing, but some days, against some opponents, you need a bit of Ian Bishop and Patrick Patterson to get the job done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
Nelly GTFC
October 9, 2015, 12:11am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,732
Gold Stars: 31
Even though I prefer a combination of Amond / Bogle / JPP, I would honestly take Tomlinson till the end of the season if we can, he's got goals in him scoring 18/14/18 over the past three seasons at this level, so the chances are the goals will start popping in and this is what Hurst is thinking regardless if he says he's not bothered if we win and the strikers don't score.

Whatever way you look at it, Tomlinson has played 5 games and not scored, this won't do him any favors at jumping straight back into Barnet's setup as their manager seemed keen to take him back when the loan was initiated, so the chance of extending his loan further have probally greatly increased due to that very fact and Hurst loves him. Tomlinson's loan is due to expire on Saturday, 17th October.

If he had banged in 5 goals in 5 games, we would of been saying "tada" to him come next week, I think the fact he hasn't scored yet will be to our advantage in the coming months.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 9, 2015, 10:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I wonder. Even though I am keen to see Bogle justify his fee and I think Amond is the best finisher we have, I wonder if sometime it will be in Hurst's mind to use Arnold more as a central striker. He has looked at the idea briefly before.

From Hurst's point of view it solves one of his greatest desires, a deep defence with a very quick striker as an outlet playing alongside a more conventional striker. That seems to me to fit the Hurst mantra perfectly.

From the supporters viewpoint we have seen this counter-attack system before a few times. Slade used it with Reddy, Tony Ford also spent a successful season or so as a central striker and before that McMenemy used Stuart Brace in more or less the same role. All scored a lot of goals by using the space behind the defence. But you do need a Dave Boylen type player to put the ball in the right place for them.

Not saying this would be my preference but I bet the thought has crossed Hurst's mind especially after Tuesday.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strikers - a different perspective

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.