wigworld
October 8, 2015, 9:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from HotToddy
I read that on the os. I thought it was written by professionals - not bloody fans? Is it not therefore a bit of a niche market, only the people who contributed will buy it?

I never contributed, but I'll definitely buy it.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 16
barralad
October 8, 2015, 9:40pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I havent contributed to it but my order is in. I suspect I wont be the only one....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
ginnywings
October 8, 2015, 9:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad
I havent contributed to it but my order is in. I suspect I wont be the only one....

You won't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
moosey_club
October 8, 2015, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Hot Toddy - in answer too your q.

by the fans...for the fans

What "professional" could capture the raw emotion ,what it means inside to a genuine long time supporter to be promoted...to be relegated...the explosive release of tension witnessing Burnett's golden goal...the gut churning helpless inadequate feeling looking onto a motionless Livvo for 14 minutes.....i will tell you...none.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
KingstonMariner
October 8, 2015, 10:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HotToddy
I read that on the os. I thought it was written by professionals - not bloody fans? Is it not therefore a bit of a niche market, only the people who contributed will buy it?

I guess the whole fanzine thing would have left you cold if you'd been around.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
HotToddy
October 8, 2015, 10:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: -444
I suppose friends & family will buy it too. Alan Buckley might be able to capture that emotion?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
CodAlmighty
October 8, 2015, 11:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from HotToddy

Right its late, and I may be falling into a trap, but I'm going to risk it.

Lets not confuse fans with amateurs and then move from amateurs to amateurish. Yes, the book has been put together entirely by Town fans, but in many cases we are talking about professional people -authors, journalists, designers, advertisers - bringing their professional skills to bear on this book because they are Town fans. One of the editors, it is true, is a librarian by profession- even that came in handy for digging out one or two of the chapters. Most of the chapters have been written by amateurs, but they have written with the knowledge and care you can only bestow if what you are doing is a labour of love.

One of the things that has made me the proudest I have ever been to be a Town fan this year has been Operation Promotion - not just the drawing of strength from a defeat, but the realisation that as ordinary fans, we can bring not just our cash but our professional and life skills to bear to make the experience of supporting the Mariners a bit better for everyone. Think of We Are Town as the literary wing of Operation Promotion - people doing what they can do, and do very well, out of love and commitment.

When the book is out, I'm confident you won't be disappointed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are Town - available to order now

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.