6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
tintowner
November 25, 2015, 4:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
I can still 'taste' the atmosphere of that game.

I was 16 years of age and stood in the Barratt Stand. Dear old Charles Ekberg was commentating that day and went through the possible scenarios of who would win the 3rd Division Championship (us or Blackburn Rovers).

A win was the requirement to guarantee the title and what a win it was.

As my bookmarked status below has always stated .......... 1979/80.....now that was a team!

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
mariner tommy
November 25, 2015, 4:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from promotion plaice
It was a great day watching Town win the title in front of a electric atmosphere in BP ( reminds me of the Everton cup game)

I see Towns two goalscorers that day are at the Carr Lane Social Club tomorrow night -

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....3-detail/story.html?

What a night, Mick Brolley scoring both.

I can still see the headlines on the back page of the Daily Mirror the day after, it read- "Brolley reigns"

I think it was October 1979, but not certain.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
arryarryarry
November 25, 2015, 4:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mariner tommy

What a night, Mick Brolley scoring both.

I can still see the headlines on the back page of the Daily Mirror the day after, it read- "Brolley reigns"

I think it was October 1979, but not certain.

UTM

In the Pontoon for that one as well.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
FishOutOfWater
November 25, 2015, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

In the Pontoon for that one as well.

Lots of us were 'Arry....we used to be packed in there like sardines for the big games back then

Made for a fantastic atmosphere though...no comparison at all with today's seating arrangements in the Pontoon
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 52
mariner tommy
November 25, 2015, 5:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Also that season, apart from beating Sheffield United in the last game, this is how good we finished the season-
We lost eight games in the league up to mid November, then after that we only lost two more league games for the rest of the season.
We went top of the league in March, after drawing with Hull City away, and stayed there till May.
We had a 15 game unbeaten run to the end of the season.
Also getting to round 5 of the league cup, only losing to Wolves in the 2nd replay.
The only fly in the ointment was losing to Liverpool, away 5-0  in the FA Cup 3rd round.
Probably has to be my favourite season supporting town, of all time. Even though 71-72 took some beating.
Great, great times.

They will return.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
SuperJoeyWaters
November 25, 2015, 5:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +45
I remember the day very much. I was celebrating my 18th Birthday that day and I remember the Sheff Utd supporters continuing to sing throughtout the game even though they got a hammering
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
promotion plaice
November 25, 2015, 6:18pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Also that season, apart from beating Sheffield United in the last game, this is how good we finished the season-
We lost eight games in the league up to mid November, then after that we only lost two more league games for the rest of the season.
We went top of the league in March, after drawing with Hull City away, and stayed there till May.
We had a 15 game unbeaten run to the end of the season.
Also getting to round 5 of the league cup, only losing to Wolves in the 2nd replay.
The only fly in the ointment was losing to Liverpool, away 5-0  in the FA Cup 3rd round.
Probably has to be my favourite season supporting town, of all time. Even though 71-72 took some beating.
Great, great times.

They will return.

UTM

Also my favourite season supporting Town, I went to all the games you picked out.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
mariner tommy
November 25, 2015, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
I cannot remember for the life of me where the second Wolves replay was, I think it may have been at Derby was it ?

UTM

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
promotion plaice
November 25, 2015, 6:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
I cannot remember for the life of me where the second Wolves replay was, I think it may have been at Derby was it ?

UTM

Yes the Baseball Ground, I nearly got mixed up with the Southampton replay at Filbert Street, its an age thing.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
Peeler_Crab
November 25, 2015, 6:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +371
Gold Stars: 2
Has any on here ever seen the TV footage of the Town 4 v 0 Sheff Utd game?    

Random footage often turns up on Mariners World & YouTube. But have never seen this.

It was before my time - but remember writing to Goals on Sunday years ago when they used to ask for fans to request  to view a game from years ago. Never got it! 😥

GTID

“What has Alan Buckley got in his pocket!" Roly Godfrey - Blundell Park - 1990.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town 4 Sheff Utd 0

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.