mariner tommy
November 25, 2015, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from promotion plaice

Yes the Baseball Ground, I nearly got mixed up with the Southampton replay at Filbert Street, its an age thing.

Yep, you're so right there, thanks

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
HertsGTFC
November 25, 2015, 6:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
We where stood in the main just near the tunnel/dug out Area. I just remember Kev Drinkall being absolutely unplayable that day. We had won promotion the week earlier at Mansfield and we walked to BP that day nervous about whether we could land the title or not but after the first 10 mins it was never in doubt.

Over the years I have had more happier times than sad at BP but this I think was my favourite and against a Yorkshire Team too. As mad as it sounded I remember thinking the crowd was a bit small after the Everton & Wolves games earlier that's season..........That sounds mad now.  

Very apt that this programme is featured considering Joe Waters and some of the lads from that era are back in town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
grimsby pete
November 25, 2015, 6:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from arryarryarry

In the Pontoon for that one as well.

So was I  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
grimsby pete
November 25, 2015, 6:54pm

Exile
Quoted from arryarryarry

Apologies, I was desperate and didn't want to lose my place.  

In the old Ponny before the Bradford fire,

It was always catching fire as fans put their ciggies out,

We just peed on it and put it out.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
Mrs Doyle
November 25, 2015, 7:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Remember hearing the wall of noise BEFORE the game walking up to the ground.

Crushed in the Pontoon  but that incessant chant of "Mariners,Mariners,Mariners" that started in the ponny and went right around the ground was so intimidating to any side it was worth a goal.

What a fantastic side that was best midfielder in Joey Walters and Kev Drinkall was the best striker I have ever seen grace BP and that includes sir Matt Tees and Super Clive.

Of course the Sheffield sides always packed the away end which made for a cracking atmosphere something we really miss here now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
ginnywings
November 25, 2015, 7:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Started watching Town in the Lawrie Mac era. Then we had this great team in 79/80 and was still to hear of Alan Buckley and the great teams he built. OOH! if only you young 'uns could have seen a team of this calibre............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
Eastendmariner
November 25, 2015, 8:58pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
I have some photos but need help posting them any advice?

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2015, 10:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from mariner tommy
Also that season, apart from beating Sheffield United in the last game, this is how good we finished the season-
We lost eight games in the league up to mid November, then after that we only lost two more league games for the rest of the season.
We went top of the league in March, after drawing with Hull City away, and stayed there till May.
We had a 15 game unbeaten run to the end of the season.
Also getting to round 5 of the league cup, only losing to Wolves in the 2nd replay.
The only fly in the ointment was losing to Liverpool, away 5-0  in the FA Cup 3rd round.
Probably has to be my favourite season supporting town, of all time. Even though 71-72 took some beating.
Great, great times.

They will return.

UTM

The Hull away game was played in March due to the original game being postponed due to frosty weather on New Years day I think. We got a late, late equalizer and I think we all knew from that moment we would go up.

Of course it was played at the old Boothferry park which was a lovely big old fashioned ground and they were thousands of us in there willing us to put one over the old enemy - our true rivals not these  Scunny or Imps imposters.

It was a fantastic season - only spoiled for me when I couldn't go to the Liverpool away game when I attended a family wedding. Luckily someone sneeked a radio into church so I knew the score!

Another time when we played Hull away I postponed my honeymoon  so I could go but that of course would be expected for any true fan. A few days earlier I had the reception at Blundell Park!!

I sincerely hope all the younger fans will enjoy days/seasons like the ones a lot of us have been priveleged to see.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
Sir Matt Tease
November 26, 2015, 9:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 31
Great memories for me. I feel that these are the sort of memories that so frustrate some of us old git's on here now that we are having to watch us playing teams like Dover and Braintree every week.

Very eventful weekend for me, I met my wife to be the on the Thursday prior to the match at the Flamingo. Fantastic game on the Saturday and first date that night at Clouds !

I recall everyone singing "Oh Deano" during the song Gino by Dexy's Midnight Runners that night !

Fantastic memories and still married after 35 yrs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
grimsby pete
November 26, 2015, 10:00am

Exile

The Hull away game was played in March due to the original game being postponed due to frosty weather on New Years day I think. We got a late, late equalizer and I think we all knew from that moment we would go up.

Of course it was played at the old Boothferry park which was a lovely big old fashioned ground and they were thousands of us in there willing us to put one over the old enemy - our true rivals not these  Scunny or Imps imposters.

I nearly got squashed at that game so many town fans for the area behind the goal until they open the bit on the side,

I was not so big then ( fat )  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town 4 Sheff Utd 0

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.