arryarryarry
November 26, 2015, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
Great memories for me. I feel that these are the sort of memories that so frustrate some of us old git's on here now that we are having to watch us playing teams like Dover and Braintree every week.

Very eventful weekend for me, I met my wife to be the on the Thursday prior to the match at the Flamingo. Fantastic game on the Saturday and first date that night at Clouds !

I recall everyone singing "Oh Deano" during the song Gino by Dexy's Midnight Runners that night !

Fantastic memories and still married after 35 yrs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was a regular in the Flamingo on a Thursday night.

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
A Brace Of Tees
November 26, 2015, 10:53am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 3
This bunch of home-grown boys, such as Kevin Drinkell, Tony Ford, The Moore Brothers, Gary Lund, Paul Wilkinson, Bob Cumming and the fantastic little Irishman Joe Waters as our captain, took the whole Football League by storm, sweeping all before them with a highest place of 5th in the old 2nd Division during that period. Although McMenemy’s team and the ones later assembled by Alan Buckley were all great teams, this one from about 1978 to the early 80s was easily the best and most talented Grimsby Town team I have ever seen. And best of all, they hardly cost a penny as most of them were nurtured through Town’s youth scheme by Tom Casey and later John Newman, followed by George Kerr who once said it got to the stage where he didn’t even need to talk tactics or tell the players what to do – they were so instinctively capable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
grimsby pete
November 26, 2015, 11:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
No play offs in those days,

We might have got back into the top division if there was.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 26, 2015, 12:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I remember when George was sacked and Dave Booth took over. We signed Chris Nicholl and for the first time ever I began to think the club was really going to go for promotion to the top flight. We had the new stand, backing from big local & national businesses and class players. All the local lads were desperate to play for the club too. That was followed by the arrival of Andy Peake from Leicester and Paul Emson coming home from Derby. The only fly in the ointment was signing Jimmy Gilligan from Watford!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
ginnywings
November 26, 2015, 12:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
This bunch of home-grown boys, such as Kevin Drinkell, Tony Ford, The Moore Brothers, Gary Lund, Paul Wilkinson, Bob Cumming and the fantastic little Irishman Joe Waters as our captain, took the whole Football League by storm, sweeping all before them with a highest place of 5th in the old 2nd Division during that period. Although McMenemy’s team and the ones later assembled by Alan Buckley were all great teams, this one from about 1978 to the early 80s was easily the best and most talented Grimsby Town team I have ever seen. And best of all, they hardly cost a penny as most of them were nurtured through Town’s youth scheme by Tom Casey and later John Newman, followed by George Kerr who once said it got to the stage where he didn’t even need to talk tactics or tell the players what to do – they were so instinctively capable.

Not so sure myself. At their height, the Buckley side played some of the best football i've ever seen and Whymark was the best player i ever saw in a Town shirt, with Futch not far behind. Tough call.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
Teesknees
November 26, 2015, 1:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
A great couple of interviews with Joe and George on Mariner Player, some great memories of the team at that time.

I suppose it's hard sometimes to accept where we are now looking back on a team that did so well in the Championship etc

But at least we have those memories!

Anyway time for my incontinence tablets...nurse!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
FishOutOfWater
November 26, 2015, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Teesknees
A great couple of interviews with Joe and George on Mariner Player, some great memories of the team at that time.

I suppose it's hard sometimes to accept where we are now looking back on a team that did so well in the Championship etc

But at least we have those memories!

Anyway time for my incontinence tablets...nurse!

Don't let's forget though that we had been in a relative "footballing wilderness" for 16 years before we became the champions beating Sheff Utd...

Since we'd been relegated in '64 we only had the '72 McMenemy season to really fire us up. Sure there were a few tasty cup ties along the way before the 79-80 season ( West Ham for example in the FLC who we took to a replay and of course the big FAC day out in Coventry) but my first few years at BP saw more downs than ups

I'll never forget our first game back up with the "big boys of the 2nd division"...away to Shrewsbury and I thought that day it had never been any better. The highest I had ever seen Town in the FL and so proud to be part of the fans that welcomed them out that afternoon.

We didn't win but when Drinks got the equaliser in a 1-1 draw, I knew my Town had lifted us back up where we belonged and for the most part of the next 23 years, we stayed there on merit. Sure we punched above our weight a lot, but we feared no-one

And of course, even when we went off course for a few years, we still bounced right back with double promtions under AB and then the double Wembley wins of '98

The feeling following Town now is a bit similar in some respects...yes we've fallen to our lowest level ever but the backing that we get from the fans now and the team spirit we have now isn't too dissimilar to what we saw back then...

Maybe, just maybe, the tide has turned.... We Are Town!

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 52
acko338
November 26, 2015, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33

"We went top of the league in March, and stayed there till May.
We had a 15 game unbeaten run to the end of the season."

Is that the right time of the season to go top and have the unbeaten run to remember ???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Les Brechin
November 26, 2015, 3:18pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
And that day is still the last Championship winning game!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
HertsGTFC
November 26, 2015, 3:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
That year there was loads of big games in the cups and the league title and yes it may feel hard to believe but if we get promoted this year to me it would be right up there with that season.

One game that does stand out was beating Wimbledon at Plough Lane 6 - 3 (think it was 1 - 1 at half time) took us ages to get there and back but the pies where great.

On the way home on the M1 we got stopped by the coppers as the scarves where hanging out of the car window........we pulled over thinking we where going to get pinched but all they wanted to know was which game we had been to and what the score was, clearly football is not the only place where times have changed.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town 4 Sheff Utd 0

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.