barralad
November 27, 2015, 9:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from chaos33

Yes you're right as usual mate and I understand the point you're making there - I can see how that plea is perhaps a little at odds with reality. I suppose it's hard to explain - the idea that fierce competition and a big squad can be both propulsive at times, and destructive at others. It probably springs from the view I have of Amond, Bogle and Pittman, and really wanting to see them play.
I credit Hurst for signing them, and they are all good enough goal scorers to enable us to get promoted, so there's a part of me that doesn't want to see loanees playing instead of them. A flawed view I admit. Having 5 strikers means that nobody is going to get a 'run in the team' - a vital bit of scope for strikers I think. We'll see if the loanees are better than our current players, or if they are good cover in the fullness of time.

Of course, what I didn't mention, was that the number of players we now have (when fit) give us great tactical versatility and potential to change the way we play, or, take a 'horses for courses' approach. A great position to be in when weighing up opponents on a game by game basis.

The most interesting, and welcome of the loan signings for me is Henderson.
IMO we've been crying out for a particular kind of centre midfielder for quite some time. I hope this is him.  

I agree  100% about the horses for courses thing. I genuinely believe it is what Hurst has been after since the close season. If done properly at this level it gives us a massive advantage over most teams who can only dream of it. Time will tell whether the final piece in the jigsaw is managerial ability.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
ginnywings
November 27, 2015, 10:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

I agree  100% about the horses for courses thing. I genuinely believe it is what Hurst has been after since the close season. If done properly at this level it gives us a massive advantage over most teams who can only dream of it. Time will tell whether the final piece in the jigsaw is managerial ability.  

Whoa! Steady on there Barra  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
barralad
November 27, 2015, 10:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ginnywings

Whoa! Steady on there Barra  

It would only take someone like Johnson with a smaller squad to rubbish my argument. It's what Paul Hurst is up against...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
GrimRob
November 27, 2015, 11:50pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Our squad is so strong now we could field two teams in this division  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 35
Rik e B
November 28, 2015, 12:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Eleven v eleven down Cheapside would be a good watch!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
MARINERSMAN22
November 28, 2015, 8:02pm
Wembley 2K15 Centre Box <3
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: -395
Such a strong squad, that we can afford to field separate XI for FA Cup and League matches, and still have enough quality in both to win every match....I hope! Amond will be top scorer and will fetch me a good return on my bet, Bogle will develop into a Vardy-esque player and Hurst will be the next.....Alan Pardew?

Wembley2K15 Centre Box

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
moosey_club
November 28, 2015, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
What worried me today was that with the recent additions the bench looked very lopsided, ie 3 strikers and the fact Hurst felt it necessary to use all three of them.
The substitutions killed off any fluidity or rythm we had.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
HertsGTFC
November 28, 2015, 10:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from moosey_club
What worried me today was that with the recent additions the bench looked very lopsided, ie 3 strikers and the fact Hurst felt it necessary to use all three of them.
The substitutions killed off any fluidity or rythm we had.  

Agree................. I think Barra said something about managerial ability though I am not a massive fan of PH I think how he has tried to assemble this squad shows some nouse, ability and understanding.

We can't afford to sign Championship squad players on perm deals and their agents ensure we don't but brining some quality like Townsend, Jones and all being well Alibi may just lift us to the levels we need to hit.

The next test for the manger is keeping everybody until the end of the season contracted or loanee if we do this we will be serious contenders despite tonight being 5 points behind the leaders tonight.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
WokingMariner
November 29, 2015, 12:39pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
Wouldn't we be better off getting less players but better ones with bigger wages. No point paying people to sit in the stand.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 35
Abdul19
November 29, 2015, 1:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from moosey_club

Agree about the bench. I don't think it was necessarily a case of him feeling he had to play all 3, just that the lopsidedness of the bench left him little choice when taking Arnold off.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strengthening strategy ..winners and losers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.