5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Bradford Mariner
January 29, 2016, 9:23am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Do these boxes require a satellite/cable connection or do they work solely via the network (LAN) connection?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
Strandty
January 29, 2016, 9:26am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +25
Quoted from Bradford Mariner
Do these boxes require a satellite/cable connection or do they work solely via the network (LAN) connection?

All you need is a LAN connection. They do work on WiFi but a stable cable connection makes them work much better!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
diehardmariner
January 29, 2016, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Amazon Fire Stick for £35.

Doesn't need to be jailbroken as Kodi is so easy to install, just google it for a guide.

Then add the various add-ons for live football etc.  Again a quick google will tell you how to install them.  

Don't waste money on buying pre-loaded boxes.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
ginnywings
January 29, 2016, 10:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
If you go to a site called TVMC, they do a download version of the Kodi programme with all the add-ons installed and configured. It is available in all formats, Windows, Android etc. If you buy pre-loaded boxes, someone has already done this for you and is making a killing. I don't know about fire sticks and android boxes as i have it on my PC. Have a look at the Wetek box, it is endorsed by Kodi but as said before, they do not endorse the add-ons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
Grim74
January 29, 2016, 11:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
If you go to a site called TVMC, they do a download version of the Kodi programme with all the add-ons installed and configured. It is available in all formats, Windows, Android etc. If you buy pre-loaded boxes, someone has already done this for you and is making a killing. I don't know about fire sticks and android boxes as i have it on my PC. Have a look at the Wetek box, it is endorsed by Kodi but as said before, they do not endorse the add-ons.

Yeah you are right someone is making a killing, you can get an android box shipped from China for about £25 and load it yourself, but if you don't know what you are doing and your impatient like me then it's best to just pay the extra and have it fully loaded.

I've seen the sticks and I don't think they are as good as the boxes, the memory is obviously smaller so that limits what you can build on it, they also suffer with buffering especially with the sport channels, I think it's about the speed it can work at, On the box you can usually watch any footy or cricket  game that's on without interruption and some of the channels are now playing in HD.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
Bradford Mariner
January 29, 2016, 11:38am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Anyone got any experience of the quailty of streaming live football using these various methods?

It seems to me that all these Kodi+Android solutions with the appropriate add-ons are simply connnecting to the internet sites I used to connect to directly from my laptop and the quailty and performance was variable at best, or am I missing something?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
ginnywings
January 29, 2016, 11:41am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grim74

Yeah you are right someone is making a killing, you can get an android box shipped from China for about £25 and load it yourself, but if you don't know what you are doing and your impatient like me then it's best to just pay the extra and have it fully loaded.

I've seen the sticks and I don't think they are as good as the boxes, the memory is obviously smaller so that limits what you can build on it, they also suffer with buffering especially with the sport channels, I think it's about the speed it can work at, On the box you can usually watch any footy or cricket  game that's on without interruption and some of the channels are now playing in HD.

I think the buffering and streaming is going to get worse as more people acquire these boxes. It's not the speed of connection or box, it's bandwidth. More people watching slows it down. There has been a noticeable decline lately and people should be aware that if they expect to just buy one of these devices and watch games in flawless HD, then they may be disappointed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
WetFlannel
January 29, 2016, 11:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
I understand the appeal of such devices and don't begrudge anyone them, but I'm personally happy paying for Sports Channels knowing that I get HD sports programming without worry. I watch a lot of sport and occasionally stream when there's games that aren't on TV over here but he quality drives me crazy. I think I'm scarred by being at someone's house to watch a game on something like this and his internet goong half way through
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
ginnywings
January 29, 2016, 11:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from WetFlannel
I understand the appeal of such devices and don't begrudge anyone them, but I'm personally happy paying for Sports Channels knowing that I get HD sports programming without worry. I watch a lot of sport and occasionally stream when there's games that aren't on TV over here but he quality drives me crazy. I think I'm scarred by being at someone's house to watch a game on something like this and his internet goong half way through

I agree. If you want uninterrupted viewing of a game, then a sports channel is still the way to go. Streaming from dodgy sites can be very frustrating but i'm hoping that all the people migrating to 'free' devices will force the likes of Sky to lower their prices.

There is another way of doing it, which is to pay a proxy site, which will allow you to access content from other countries. NBCSN and Fox in America show all Prem games live. You'd still need to subscribe but i think their sport channels are cheaper than ours. There are moves afoot to allow all games to be streamed live in the UK and i expect it will be the norm soon because there is money to be made and we all know that money talks.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-set-tv-revolution-4956046#rlabs=8
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
diehardmariner
January 29, 2016, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Yeah, just like to add that whilst the films and TV shows the quality is generally great, because everyone isn't trying to watch it all at the same time.

For sporting events, everyone is trying to watch it at the same time.  Therefore the quality really can down the pan.  

With regards how long this will last, who knows?  Ultimately sites will always get shut down but as a result more pop up.  It's just a case of finding the quality ones I guess.

That's what a mate told me anyway.  
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Streaming football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.