Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 297 Guests

Worst town away day!

This thread currently has 13,499 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jaymariner
January 31, 2016, 5:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +406
Nuneaton away 2013 the Tuesday before we played Wrexham in the trophy final. Freezing cold, the players may as well not even turned up IMO and Richard Brodie was so eager to get on that he spent the whole game talking to someone in the stands, I have seen better football matches down at the park on a Sunday morning.

The play-off final 2015 was the closest I have been to turning my back on football altogether, the feeling that the footballing gods are totally against us was horrible and even worse than that was the realisation that we had another season in the conference ahead of us. I have no idea how I went from hating football to then buying my first ever season ticket a few weeks later
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 100
mariner91
January 31, 2016, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
5-0 away at Lincoln and Slade's infamous half time team talk on the pitch was pretty shite. Gateshead in the play offs was a very bad day too. Last year I enjoyed the play off final except for the result which was the first time I've ever felt like crying at a football match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 100
lukeo
January 31, 2016, 5:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,363
Gold Stars: 143
tranmere sticks out for me as I was devastated that day and I've never felt that way before about football, that was the day I realised how much gtfc mean to me. I just hope we go up because somerset will have one very happy mariner and the whole of taunton will know about it if it happens !!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 100
Caesar
January 31, 2016, 6:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Worst away day for me would be Newport in the playoffs. Had a work thing in Cardiff that Friday night and they said they had got me an open return so was just going to go and stay with a mate. By the time I found out they hadn't got me an open ticket I was desperate to go so forked out on a ridiculously expensive train ticket to see such a limp and effortless display with no even fleeting moment of joy.

Gateshead will always be my worst place to visit though, last year when we enjoyed the 6-1 win I got the train up to Sunderland to stay with my family. Started chatting to 2 Sunderland fans who were now in London travelling to see them play Man U the next day and that really brought home that I have gone from seeing Town at the Stadium of Light, to seeing us at an athletics stadium. When my Mum tried to cheer me up after the playoff final by joking that she knew a good place to stay for the Gateshead match that was what pushed me over the edge from being devestated to being angry and distraught over still being at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 100
jonnyboy82
January 31, 2016, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Burton.

Horrible day awful performance that put us out the football league, could it get any worse than that ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 100
Mariner Marty
January 31, 2016, 7:20pm
UTM
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +26
Tranmere when we got relegated.

Cheltenham - League 2 play off final.

Gateshead play off game 2014.

Burton.

Never do I ever want to relive those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 100
barralad
January 31, 2016, 8:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from livosnose
Oldham away  Grovsey close to sack,  players gave up and think we lost 5 nil and it was free!

That memory has just sent a shiver down my spine...It was SIX and we were three down in about 10 minutes.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 100
barralad
January 31, 2016, 8:17pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ginnywings
Too many to mention but they make the good one even better.

Hartlepool away twice, once for the complete and utter drubbing and once for just a regular defeat but with sleet and snow thrown in. I've been cold at games but that took the biscuit. Didn't thaw out 'til York.

Having bricks and bottles raining down on us at Maine Road was no fun either.

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was the Saturday after we'd dubbed Darlington 7-2 at home. The weather was terrible on the way up with heavy snow but it was just rain on the coast with a howling gale off the North Sea. The stand we were put in had a big sliding door at the back of it and the stewards opened it up fully...Until Wembley 2013 the coldest I'd ever been at a Town game..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 100
Paris Mariner
January 31, 2016, 8:18pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I can't remember what year it was but at a guess I'd say 06/07. It was Barnet away and I went down a bit earlier than usual because my mate from uni is a Barnet fan and we were going to have a few pre-match pints. I got to Barnet tube, and as soon as I saw my mate he said those fateful words, "game's off".

A similar thing happened to me on the way down to Southport away from Edinburgh one year. Got the train down on the Friday evening and the game was called off while I was en route. Morecambe at home in the Football League Trophy was also called off just as I came out of the terminal when I flew back from France.

Days where I actually got to see some football would be Hartlepool away under Buckley part III when they won the league. We lost 2-0 it was bloody freezing and Hartlepool is a long way from Skeg.

Peterborough away in Div 2/League 1. 0-0, if I remember rightly, it was Baltic and neither team looked particularly likely to score. I also saw a Town fan in the crowd that day with a swastika shave into the back of his head which didn't make me particularly proud to be a Mariner or from Lincolnshire.

QPR away when we were in Div 1. We lost 1-0 from a penalty which the ref clearly gave to level it up as Clare had missed an earlier one for Town which was fairly dubious. I'd travelled down from Skeg with two QPR fans and said practically nothing all the way home.

I was also at Braintree away in 2011. I took a day off work, travelled down on the train and was then laughed at on the Braintree highlights as I left after about 50 minutes. I then proceeded to have an foul mouthed rant in the Braintree car park with a bloke and his daughter who were also Town fans leaving early.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 100
easypeersy
January 31, 2016, 8:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from barralad
One thst sticks in my mind was a 4.0 hammering at Dagenham and Redbridge in the late noughties. It snowed, Town were beyond crap and we had to take a detour off the A1 on the way home due to roadworks. Got home at 4.00 a.m. and up for a train to Donny at 6.30

I was at that match. I had to pay twice for my rail ticket due to a mix up with my credit card.
I then got soaked in the sleet and snow. First snow London had seen in October for 75 years or something.

The got back to Doncaster station to pick up my car which had a parking ticket on it!

It was the worst performance I had ever seen by Grimsby Town and I knew from that moment that we were destined to go out of the league.
A sad and miserable day! Polar opposite of the two wins at Wembley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.