Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 100 Guests

Worst town away day!

This thread currently has 13,512 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
January 31, 2016, 9:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from mariner83
Seen a few but One that sticks in my mind for some reason is Walsall around 2000(?) lost 4-0.

Possibly the only time I've ever thought the whole team was guilty of not trying...terrible game!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 100
Posh Harry
January 31, 2016, 9:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from tintowner
I can handle any bad away day as a football league team.  Being in this league and going to places like Hayes, Histon and Chasetown is difficult.

Understand what you mean but Hayes & yeading  was ok. We were 1-0 up by the time I got there, had a nice beer at half time in the club bar and had another beer after the game watching the players have lasagne with everyone else. And Histonn was also ok (result helped). I think a lot of us have enjoyed the chance to see some of these quaint places and grounds.

The problem is, it has now become the norm, rather than something a bit 'cute'. And that is the worrying thing.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 100
Les Brechin
January 31, 2016, 9:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
I remember going to Colchester in the late 80's on a Friday night and the game was called off 20 minutes before kick-off.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 100
ginnywings
January 31, 2016, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was the Saturday after we'd dubbed Darlington 7-2 at home. The weather was terrible on the way up with heavy snow but it was just rain on the coast with a howling gale off the North Sea. The stand we were put in had a big sliding door at the back of it and the stewards opened it up fully...Until Wembley 2013 the coldest I'd ever been at a Town game..

Now my old mind is getting fuzzy and i may well be mixing up my matches but the game i had in my head that was baltic was the 4-2 defeat in DEC 89 but I'm now questioning myself because your mention of the door being open rang a bell. I think my memory problems may well have started at Hartlepool when my frontal lobe froze for 90 mins. The one you mention is when we scored 12 goals in two home games against Bradford and Darlington and went up there full of beans expecting to roll them over. Snow turned to sleet then to rain and the upshot was that it was very wet and very cold. It was probably just as cold and wintery for both games.

The other game i mention is without any doubt the 8-1 drubbing which i will remember 'til i croak.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 100
Posh Harry
January 31, 2016, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Maybe I have been lucky or chosen well. I have mostly had good days (beer almost certainly helps). I have had some scary days - port vale, Sheffield Utd, Derby (baseball ground) and some depressing ones, Bradford 0-0 year we went down to non league (bloody cold, horrible place and sh8t place to put a ground), Wycombe (see Bradford), Reading (again same as others although a bit warmer, but we were dreadful) and coventry when we lost 3-0 in the second leg of league cup as tony rees had a mental and decided to kick their player after about 5 mins. Someone has already mentioned sheff wed 7-1. The result was terrible but that stewards that day were absolute scum. If you stood up in your seat then you were out. Massive bell8nds each  and everyone of them.

Overall though, probably Ivanovo gate was the worst. Luton is a sh8t hole full stop. The ground is in a sh8t hole where you have to climb over 20 gardens to get to, then lose 3-2 followed by the throwing of chicken/sandwiches by mr laws (allegedly). That was probably a low point.

Losing to Cheltenham at the millennium was also sh8t. Because we were sh8t.

Try and look at the positives though. Far more good days than bad. Highlights (in no particular order), Northampton and Bournmouth at Wembley, Preston (Neil woods best day I a town shirt  - also his first), port vale (again) when we won and stayed up (and they went down), crystal palace, Aston villa, Hayes and yeading, Histon, Barnet last year, chesterfield, Southend (Andy tillson was awesome), Ipswich, Huddersfield (Leeds road, Gary childs screamer) and Rotherham when super Clive took them apart in a 4-1 thrashing.

Good, good times. We can have them again - I hope!!!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 100
Les Brechin
January 31, 2016, 10:00pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ginnywings

Now my old mind is getting fuzzy and i may well be mixing up my matches but the game i had in my head that was baltic was the 4-2 defeat in DEC 89 but I'm now questioning myself because your mention of the door being open rang a bell. I think my memory problems may well have started at Hartlepool when my frontal lobe froze for 90 mins. The one you mention is when we scored 12 goals in two home games against Bradford and Darlington and went up there full of beans expecting to roll them over. Snow turned to sleet then to rain and the upshot was that it was very wet and very cold. It was probably just as cold and wintery for both games.

The other game i mention is without any doubt the 8-1 drubbing which i will remember 'til i croak.

I think the coldest I have ever been at a game was at Halifax in 87 at an FA Cup replay. We'd drawn 1 all at home, and I remember The Pontoon being temporarily evacuated because of a small fire under the stand. When we went to The Shay for the replay you could literally watch the pitch turning white as the game went on. How it finished I'm not sure as the pitch was white over on 90 minutes. We were bloody awful that night too and lost 2-0.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 100
Mariner Ronnie
January 31, 2016, 10:01pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad

Possibly the only time I've ever thought the whole team was guilty of not trying...terrible game!

Bit like port vale away 09/10 season were boshell seemed to get recklessly sent off!

We lost 4-0, Matthew heywood never played again thank god!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 100
Davec
January 31, 2016, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Coldest I've ever been was Buxton away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 100
GrimRob
January 31, 2016, 10:08pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
Arsenal away in 1931. We lost 9-1

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/topresults.php?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 100
friskneymariner
January 31, 2016, 10:21pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Davec
Coldest I've ever been was Buxton away

Has to be Histon on New Years Day when we won 6-0

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.