Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 349 Guests

Worst town away day!

This thread currently has 13,429 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
February 1, 2016, 10:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Les Brechin
Another horrible awayday was Leyton Orient in Alan Buckley's first season. It was April Fools Day and we lost 5-0. A young Kevin Campbell, on-loan from Arsenal got a hat-trick.

We got our revenge a couple of seasons later though when we won 2-0 there, 2 Garry Birtles goals I think, a couple of games before we beat Exeter at home to clinch promotion to the 2nd tier.

Oh Gawd! That's reminded me of another...Last match of the 80/81 season away at Cambridge. Lost 5-0 and we'd parked our minibus in a field near the ground which was to say the least a bit boggy. Of course we had to push the bloody thing out and guess who had to push in the line of the spinning back wheels?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 100
Town Monkey
February 2, 2016, 11:36am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
I've been trying to think of something that hasn't already been mentioned.  Goes without saying that Burton is the worst and the League 2 play off final in Cardiff was pretty desperate. Others that spring to mind, the Bristol City game before the one mentioned earlier where we were 3 nil down in 10 minutes, might have been Burnett's first game.  Another horror show was Leyton Orient in the league cup in something like 1999, it was two legs at that stage and we were 4-0 up from the first leg.  I took my then girlfriend and her mate who were local and I paid for them all.  Got spat at from one of the tower blocks on the way there and we lost 1-0 in an absolutely desperate game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 100
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 2, 2016, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Burton as mentioned was horrid.

I remember a Walsall game (0-0?) on a Monday night that was possibly the most boring game I've sat through.

Away games at bath city were never joyful either except for the people I made the journey with.

Worst for weather was a cup game at Hartlepool where it constantly pi55ed it down. About 30 town fans stuck in an open corner and futch nearly scoring

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 100
February 2, 2016, 1:05pm
Guest User
Stoke 91.

All that way for 70 minutes of sh1te football, and two pitch invasions. Horrible place, horrible club, horrible fans. To be honest, I was an idiot for expecting anything else given what had happened at BP previously.

Cheltenham at Cardiff 2006

Never, ever felt as gutted as I did that day. Burton was inevitable. This wasn't.
Reply: 73 - 100
Abdul19
February 2, 2016, 1:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Strangely, I can't remember anything about Tranmere. I was there, but that's about all I know.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 100
FishOutOfWater
February 2, 2016, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
Another horrible awayday was Leyton Orient in Alan Buckley's first season. It was April Fools Day and we lost 5-0. A young Kevin Campbell, on-loan from Arsenal got a hat-trick.

We got our revenge a couple of seasons later though when we won 2-0 there, 2 Garry Birtles goals I think, a couple of games before we beat Exeter at home to clinch promotion to the 2nd tier.

At least the sun was shining that day Les....the football on offer was poor but at least we weren't freezing our nuts off and got a bit of colour from standing on their terrace

Talking of brass monkeys,  Barnsley away on NYD 1983. P*ssed down, was sooooo cold and we got stuffed 4-0

That season (82-83) was a weird one actually...we were in 4th place in February but ended the season 4th from bottom  

Along the way there were another couple of miserable 4-0 away defeats, notably at Newcastle on Easter Saturday when Keegan ran the show.

I remember missing the coach, getting a lift to Donny, getting the train to Newcastle, standing again in the open when there was a blizzard blowing and on the way home, having got on the coach, our driver got pulled up on the A1 and was issued with a ticket by the cops. Happy days!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 75 - 100
arryarryarry
February 2, 2016, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

At least the sun was shining that day Les....the football on offer was poor but at least we weren't freezing our nuts off and got a bit of colour from standing on their terrace

Talking of brass monkeys,  Barnsley away on NYD 1983. P*ssed down, was sooooo cold and we got stuffed 4-0

That season (82-83) was a weird one actually...we were in 4th place in February but ended the season 4th from bottom  

Along the way there were another couple of miserable 4-0 away defeats, notably at Newcastle on Easter Saturday when Keegan ran the show.

I remember missing the coach, getting a lift to Donny, getting the train to Newcastle, standing again in the open when there was a blizzard blowing and on the way home, having got on the coach, our driver got pulled up on the A1 and was issued with a ticket by the cops. Happy days!  

As it was raining we went in their end, and there was always the thought what should we do when we score, cheer, get beat up, or keep our hands in our pockets.

We didn't have to worry, our hands kept warm in our pockets.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 100
bluerose13x
February 2, 2016, 5:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
Quoted from Mariner_09
Halifax 0-4.

The only amusing thing that day for me was the look on a proud Yorkie female stewards face after a rendition of "In your Yorkshire slums..."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 100
Richard Cranium
February 2, 2016, 6:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Definitely Burton. I have never been so stressed out at a match. Their stewards caused problems and I had a right go at them. How the hell I didn't get arrested god only knows
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 100
Mariner Ronnie
February 2, 2016, 7:03pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Richard Cranium
Definitely Burton. I have never been so stressed out at a match. Their stewards caused problems and I had a right go at them. How the hell I didn't get arrested god only knows

Wasn't it a mix of ours and derby's?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.