Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How Far Have We Come..........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 204 Guests

How Far Have We Come..........

This thread currently has 9,529 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheCodfather1966
February 3, 2016, 3:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
in the past three seasons !!!   I really don't know to be honest.  I am certainly not anti-Hurst at all, but still wonder how the likes of Macclesfield with hardly any fans and a very small budget have performed not far short of us over the past few seasons.  Is it the fact that so many teams are cannon fodder in this league that we win so many games which possibly distorts PH's achievements and makes him possibly look better than he actually is.  Given a choice between PH and an established manager with pedigree such as Gary Johnson, I would certainly opt for the latter.  If we do not go up this season, I personally would make a change at managerial level.  Not because PH has done a bad job, but more because things will probably need freshening up.  On a plus note crowds have been awesome this season, so that massively goes in PH's favour.  Sadly sometimes certain things in life do not happen, and maybe success and promotion for GTFC is not meant to be for PH.  I would love to see us go up this season, but if we don't, then Fenty has a huge decision to make for the start of the 2016-2017 season.  We have to get back where we belong ASAP.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
February 3, 2016, 4:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We have much better players than 3 years ago. That side was McKeown, Hatton, Pearson, Miller, Thomas, Colbeck, Diz, Niven, Marshall, Cook, Hannah. No we have players such as Arnold, Podge, Bogle and SP can't get in the side. You can't criticise Hurst on the recruitment front. Hurst' man management also seems to be good. You never here of any rumblings or unrest. Hurst' downfall is possibly his in game management, sometimes we need an inspired substitution, not just a player, but maybe a formation change too. We also never seem to be able to dig out results when we play poorly, like Saturday. But Cheltenham and Forest Green can. Cheltenham did courtesy of Aswad Thomas. I know we got a one nil against Kiddy but apart from that we haven't done that this season or before that. If we don't go up I would stick with Hurst as I believe persistence will eventually win through so long as Hurst improves these little things I've suggested.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 70
devs
February 3, 2016, 4:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Great post
Being ultra critical the only criteria to judge Hurst on is promotion - at the moment he has failed, obviously
I like Hurst the man a lot - full of passion, integrity and extremely dignified in the face of criticism
He has brought in players with a desire to play for GTFC, created great club spirit, got his team to play some really good stuff this season and very nearly got us promoted last season...it makes me proud to support a great club.
So what's not to be happy about?

Just a feeling that with another manager we might take the extra step to glory?

Sack Hurst at end of season...get next appointment hopelessly wrong... and it might be a whole lot worse

I've got a mate, season ticket holder, who is convinced PH is the nearly man and we should move on... who knows?

I am 99% certain we won;t get the automatic spot - incidentally how many managers have that sort of pressure?
Chasing FGR down would be hard enough let alone two clubs as we have to do

Cool heads, calm thinking needed before a decision is made...and I haven't got a clue!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 70
Rik e B
February 3, 2016, 4:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Stick with Hurst so long as we always in with a sniff of the title and nailed on for playoffs, no matter how long it takes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 70
jonnyboy82
February 3, 2016, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Sorry but fenty doesnt have a hard decision to make if we dont go up..

Its quite a straight forward one to make and it involves thanks for the hard work and good luck at your new club.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2016, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09
We have much better players than 3 years ago. That side was McKeown, Hatton, Pearson, Miller, Thomas, Colbeck, Diz, Niven, Marshall, Cook, Hannah. No we have players such as Arnold, Podge, Bogle and SP can't get in the side. You can't criticise Hurst on the recruitment front. Hurst' man management also seems to be good. You never here of any rumblings or unrest. Hurst' downfall is possibly his in game management, sometimes we need an inspired substitution, not just a player, but maybe a formation change too. We also never seem to be able to dig out results when we play poorly, like Saturday. But Cheltenham and Forest Green can. Cheltenham did courtesy of Aswad Thomas. I know we got a one nil against Kiddy but apart from that we haven't done that this season or before that. If we don't go up I would stick with Hurst as I believe persistence will eventually win through so long as Hurst improves these little things I've suggested.

Yet here we are looking like automatic promotion has passed us by again.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2016, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Rik e B
Stick with Hurst so long as we always in with a sniff of the title and nailed on for playoffs, no matter how long it takes.

Personally I would like to see us promoted before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
psgmariner
February 3, 2016, 4:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The "we have better players than last year" line gets trotted out every year.

No doubt it will next year whatever division we are in. People always favour current players over those who have gone on to pastures new.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
promotion plaice
February 3, 2016, 5:02pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from arryarryarry

Personally I would like to see us promoted before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

And as for a new stadium that seems to be dead in the water again. I see Eastleigh and now Torquay are in talks over moving to a new stadium.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
GrimRob
February 3, 2016, 5:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from arryarryarry

Stick with PH then! We'll always be challenging near the top with a good chance of going up. Every season we have probably around a 1 in 4 chance of going up with him in charge I reckon - and the current budget or similar. Doubt many could better that

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How Far Have We Come..........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.