This thread currently has 9,534 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
LookBackInAngers
February 6, 2016, 9:23pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +93
If the objective was to progress in this competition (which it obviously was) then today was job done.If  however the mission statement included entertaining those who attended a cold BP then not so sure that was achieved.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 53
DocTower
February 6, 2016, 9:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
The weird midfield line-up just didn't work as nobody seemed to know what they were doing and up front Bogle and Pittman barely controlled the ball though it was generally fired into them at chest height at best.

The fantastic shot from Pittman (who looked leaden-footed and perhaps a little overweight?) to give us the lead was so far out of the character of the game, it was ridiculous. After that, they were spent and we eased to a just about deserved victory.

Yet another midfield selection that didn't really click , we saw this in the previous cup game when the whole team seemed to play as individuals,  the weather was a factor maybe today .  It does appear that we are down to the bare bones in numbers and missing a quality player .

We have seen the front pairing before and it didn't work Pittman for me is better coming on as a sub . As my friend said to me it was if Pittman was running through treacle . The subs we had on the bench were just a precaution but the result I feel was never in doubt .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
Garth
February 6, 2016, 10:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Daz460
Best midfielder for me was Clay, he shows why he is generally first choice. Nolan showed why Hurst signed him, lots of potential going forward and in the tackle.
Defence looked OK, only disappointment was Pearson who looks a shadow of the player he was.
Upfront Bogle needs to show more fight and work harder, potential is not enough.
Not many 2nd choice players showed why they should be in the 1st eleven.

Disagree, I thought he had a very steady game against a striker that could put it about a bit, and was a good captain today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
lowerfindus
February 6, 2016, 10:27pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
What's wrong with the the 433/41212 formation played d at first today? Ok it didn't work well first half but surely these games are the time to test the squad with different formaroons and challenges .

Yes we won when we went 442 but a stubborn opposition  is perfect time to test players.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
HackneyHaddock
February 6, 2016, 10:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
People say chop and change the team and try a different formation or combination of players for the Trophy games, then moan when it doesn't immediately pay off.  

Then people moan that we're not winning at half time and should revert back to 442.  

Then, when eventually we win the game handsomely, people moan that it was only the FA Trophy after all so why did we bother?

So my question, as someone not at the game, is what exactly DID people want the manager and team to do today?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
arryarryarry
February 6, 2016, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
Well that was boring. We were dire first half, playing some kind of weird diamond that nobody seemed to understand and we had no width at all. When the full backs did get forward the crosses were mostly rubbish. They were the better side and looked the likely scorers but there was a very strong wind in their favour. A half that won't live long in the memory.

Second half after a slow start, we gradually pinned them in more and more, with the inevitable goal coming from Pittman and a superb strike it was. Only one winner after that but 3-0 was slightly flattering.

Thought Marshall was god awful first half but improved in the second, not that it was difficult. Bogle i thought was inept today. Chuntering at the ref and just being mostly ineffective. His positioning and runs off the ball looked all wrong at times to me and his finishing was not up to much either. Henderson looks like a good footballer but doesn't have the cut and thrust for this league and i don't see him playing much part. Best player was Nolan, who played some very astute passes in behind, gets around the pitch quickly and scored. Most impressive was seeing him bust a gut to get free for our third, when the game was won and we were in injury time. Really like the look of him and he will make a good partner for Dis. New lad just did his job with nowt to report.

Can't disagree with any of that.

I have seen every game Henderson has played and today's was probably his best but in my opinion still not good enough. Nolan looks by far the better player. Henderson & Bogle are like school kids when we get a free kick anywhere near the opposition area both vying to take it and each time Henderson pushes him away and takes it and each time it's been crap.

Still non of the fringe players busting a gut to get in the 1st eleven.  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
arryarryarry
February 6, 2016, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from arryarryarry

Can't disagree with any of that.

I have seen every game Henderson has played and today's was probably his best but in my opinion still not good enough. Nolan looks by far the better player. Henderson & Bogle are like school kids when we get a free kick anywhere near the opposition area both vying to take it and each time Henderson pushes him away and takes it and each time it's been crap.

Still non of the fringe players busting a gut to get in the 1st eleven.  

PS Bogle was basically rubbish today and shows why we still need to sign another forward.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
Sigone
February 6, 2016, 10:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Can anyone name any team(in any country, any league) that has had success with a diamond formation.  442(check), 433(check) 352(check) 4231(check).  I get it was a game to try new things but please Mr Hurst never again with the diamond.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
Maringer
February 6, 2016, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

So my question, as someone not at the game, is what exactly DID people want the manager and team to do today?

Put in a half-decent performance, perhaps?

I don't mind trying different formations (and I initially thought we were try a straight 4-3-3), but the lack of intelligent movement and passing was very disappointing. H&V were a very weak team, hence their league position, but we made them look almost decent at times in the first half. I realise the conditions were difficult, but there was a real lack of nouse on show from our players. Without Pittman's strike, we might well have ended up with a draw which would have been a terrible results in the circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
mariner91
February 6, 2016, 11:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Sigone
Can anyone name any team(in any country, any league) that has had success with a diamond formation.  442(check), 433(check) 352(check) 4231(check).  I get it was a game to try new things but please Mr Hurst never again with the diamond.

Think Liverpool used it the year they nearly won the league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.