Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Some analysis.........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

Some analysis.........

This thread currently has 3,871 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 7, 2016, 3:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from voiceofreason

Agreed. That's got to be worth at least £20K extra per home game, approx £460K over the season extra.

Financially it looks like were on a pretty level budget.

We received around 100K for a 16 year old from Derby which even equates to your Operation Promotion fund raising.

We've also received well over £100,000 in cup money. Seems our budgets could be pretty even but for me, you just have a manager with more nous who has done it all before. He showed at BP that he is very astute. We were the better side for 30 mins until he changed it around a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Barrattstander
February 7, 2016, 3:51pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Guess we'll have a better idea after the away games at VGR, Cheltenham and Tranmere as if we can get results there we can get them anywhere.

VoR's stats show that our home record this year is better than our away record and as we only took 2 points from the three home games against those three teams that would suggest we are unlikely to do any better in the away games..........unfortunately.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
HertsGTFC
February 7, 2016, 4:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Barrattstander

VoR's stats show that our home record this year is better than our away record and as we only took 2 points from the three home games against those three teams that would suggest we are unlikely to do any better in the away games..........unfortunately.

"glass half full"? Last year we had poor results at home to some teams but did well against them away Torquay, Wrexham, Macclesfield, Gateshead and Kiddy stand out so you never now. Also away last year we beat the eventual champions and drew with the runners up.

All I am saying is on any given day you never know.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 7, 2016, 5:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
I know it's been spoken about before, but gloucester's match was postponed yesterday. The weathers been horrid down here this week and doesn't look like easing up at all.

I presume Cheltenham are still training at hartpury/Cirencester ?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
GrimRob
February 7, 2016, 5:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I think there is a risk our fixture backlog could see us drop out of the playoffs altogether.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 19
Rick12
February 7, 2016, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings
Last two seasons, we have had a fantastic away record and not so good at home. Seems to have swung the other way now. We cannot seem to get all the elements right at the same time, which is why we are mostly chasing the leading pack every season. Those stats for Cheltenham are frighteningly good and the reason they will win the league.
Frustrates me immensely where I see Cheltenham are and where we are because I feel that should be us.Bigger fan base and traditionally a bigger club.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
voiceofreason
February 7, 2016, 6:01pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +105
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I know it's been spoken about before, but gloucester's match was postponed yesterday. The weathers been horrid down here this week and doesn't look like easing up at all.

I presume Cheltenham are still training at hartpury/Cirencester ?

Still raining here, it's been 2 days pretty much constant and more predicted for Thursday night/Friday morning so Saturdays game has to be in doubt.

Some areas of the pitch were under water yesterday.

As for training, there still based at the Seasons Facility in Swindon Village.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
TownSNAFU5
February 7, 2016, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
Over the last 3 and half seasons our away record has been consistently excellent.  From 2012-13 onwards only Luton and Kidderminster have conceded fewer goals over any season.  In both cases by one goal each.

Our total away wins has also been excellent for the last 4 seasons.

As ever, it is our home form that has let us down.  Particularly, against the teams in the lower half of the league.  This season we have improved our home record. We have scored a lot of home goals, ironically mainly against the smaller teams.  

For all our record goals scored this season,  it is the missed chances at the AWAY games, such as Kidderminster, that have cost us dearly.  This season we have not scored enough goals away from home to secure more sorely needed points.    
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
FishOutOfWater
February 7, 2016, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Rick12
Frustrates me immensely where I see Cheltenham are and where we are because I feel that should be us.Bigger fan base and traditionally a bigger club.

Sad to say that the fan base we have counts for very little when it comes to league positions

I remember when Cheltenham first got themselves promoted in to the league and they saw off a challenge from Rushden, close to where I was living at the time

Rushden followed them in to the league the season after I think it was but if I hadn't lived in the area, doubt I'd have taken note of either club.

"Who were they anyway" sort of complacency was how it was and both new entrants in to the ranks of the 92 seemed to be of no consequence....maybe that was pride before our fall?

We just have to have the good grace to say Cheltenham now deserve to be where they are as much as we do

Do I like it that they're looking likely to go back in the league again, maybe at our expense?

Not in the slightest but it's down to our club to right any wrongs we might think we are suffering; whether we have better support or a more distinguished history is not going to get us back up there. Results out on the park will

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 19
ginnywings
February 7, 2016, 9:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Over the last 3 and half seasons our away record has been consistently excellent.  From 2012-13 onwards only Luton and Kidderminster have conceded fewer goals over any season.  In both cases by one goal each.

Our total away wins has also been excellent for the last 4 seasons.

As ever, it is our home form that has let us down.  Particularly, against the teams in the lower half of the league.  This season we have improved our home record. We have scored a lot of home goals, ironically mainly against the smaller teams.  

For all our record goals scored this season,  it is the missed chances at the AWAY games, such as Kidderminster, that have cost us dearly.  This season we have not scored enough goals away from home to secure more sorely needed points.    

We do score more goals this season than last, especially at home but last seasons team were better equipped for away games; something that cost us home points. This goes back to my belief that Hurst is not capable of getting all the elements needed for automatic promotion right at the same time. He cures one area at the expense of another. The better managers get it right more often than wrong and can change and adapt, whereas i feel Hurst is a little entrenched and tends to leave things too long before he changes them, which always has us playing catch up. I think a hard working target man type like LJL would greatly benefit us away from home and for changing things in home games if we need to throw the kitchen sink at it, yet two thirds of the way through the season, we still don't have one. The loss of LJL has coincided with a downturn in away points but an upturn in home points. He was definitely more effective in away games and was appreciated more by the fans who travel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Some analysis.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.