This thread currently has 3,239 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 11, 2016, 1:31pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
I wonder how many people just don't bother when they get their car insurance renewal in.

I paid £216 for fully comp insurance last year. Had no claims or changes in the past year and I have just got the renewal reminder in and this year they wanted £297!!!

I went to see the Meerkats online and found exactly the same policy with exactly the same company for £205.55!!

Just rang them up, gave them the reference number quoted and they matched it on the spot.

Insurance companies are just trying it on as I'm sure there are people who just don't bother and just leave their policy to renew automatically.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
LH
February 11, 2016, 2:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
ALWAYS ring them when they send your quote. They know people will just accept that is their best price and won't budge but they nearly always do.

I'm still paying the price for writing off my own car (and someone elses in a seperate incident) but still always manage to find a £100 discount.

I moved house recently and I am now posh enough to have a drive and a garage to park in. When I rang to change they said I'd be looking at a discount of £50 - only for them to slam a £65 admin fee on it! Con artists!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
GYinScuntland
February 11, 2016, 2:39pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
You never get the best deal by just renewing with your current insurer. I always use the comparison websites and always save.
I wouldn't even give the current insurers the chance of matching on the general principle - If they aren't honest enough to do it in the first place they aren't having my hard earned.
My renewal quote had gone up to £196 and I got the same policy from a different company with less excess for £132 using a well known website.
I even got a Brian Toy.
It's excrement mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
psgmariner
February 11, 2016, 4:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
At the age of 35 I finally insured a car in my own name. It's a largeish family car with about 35k on the clock but certainly nothing special. Zero years no claims and a Bradford postcode made me TOXIC.

All the quotes I got at first were over £1000 but after exhaustive searching and adding my dad as named driver I got it under £700.

Highly recommend following the order set out by Martin Lewis.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/#comparison

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 11, 2016, 7:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
The Mrs has just (just before Xmas) moved to Gloucester from the smoke. She is saving £450 a year!!!!!!!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
Brazilnut
February 11, 2016, 8:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin
I wonder how many people just don't bother when they get their car insurance renewal in.

I paid £216 for fully comp insurance last year. Had no claims or changes in the past year and I have just got the renewal reminder in and this year they wanted £297!!!

I went to see the Meerkats online and found exactly the same policy with exactly the same company for £205.55!!

Just rang them up, gave them the reference number quoted and they matched it on the spot.

Insurance companies are just trying it on as I'm sure there are people who just don't bother and just leave their policy to renew automatically.

Because they matched on the spot i would have then  told them out of spite Iam now going through the meerkats as the insurance company will have to pay them something (if they try rip me off i am allowed to cost them)  and tell them to remember that next year when they send out renwals so they will at least send you thier best price.......also you would have got 2 for 1 cinema for a year tues or weds and that app is really easy to use

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Les Brechin
February 11, 2016, 9:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Brazilnut

Because they matched on the spot i would have then  told them out of spite Iam now going through the meerkats as the insurance company will have to pay them something (if they try rip me off i am allowed to cost them)  and tell them to remember that next year when they send out renwals so they will at least send you thier best price.......also you would have got 2 for 1 cinema for a year tues or weds and that app is really easy to use

I don't think I've been to the cinema in the last 30 years, plus I already have every meerkat there is!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
grimsby pete
February 12, 2016, 10:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I was with Saga  for years just renewing at a higher price,

Then I went with another company at half the price,

The following year Saga offered me half the price,

Too late Saga if you offered me that to start with I would have stayed with you.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
FishOutOfWater
February 17, 2016, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete
I was with Saga  for years just renewing at a higher price,

Then I went with another company at half the price,

The following year Saga offered me half the price,

Too late Saga if you offered me that to start with I would have stayed with you.

I don't know Pete...these companies that take advantage of older reliable clients  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 9
chaos33
February 18, 2016, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Car insurance premiums are not just all about the price though are they. There is something to be said for the quality of service. You find out the true value of your policy when you need to use them having been involved in an incident. Doubtless there would be cheaper companies, but they might be rotten to deal with in a crisis.

Lots of aspects to a policy. It's conceivable to stick with a company you know offer a great service when handling accidents etc than to leave them for a cheaper rival who aren't nearly so good.
As always, there's a balance to be struck. I stuck with my company even though my renewal was slightly higher as I knew they were good and I could rely on them. I've experienced a few rubbish companies.

All of that said, I think using a comparison site is a no brainer, as it gives you something to bargain with. And, also worth noting, is that it's not advisable to lie in order to bring down costs on things like annual mileage.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Car Insurance

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.