Bigdog
April 26, 2016, 9:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01
Not thanks...not a nice bloke and we aren't currently looking. The non league mourinho is out of work, what about him?

There's a reason Peterborough have sacked him...

If we can only employ managers that have never been sacked, there would be a very short list. Things can go wrong for a successful and capable manager at a certain club for many reasons. Gary Johnson's been sacked, Jose Mourinho's been sacked. No good those two for us then?

Westley is better than we've got, promotion Conference and League One on a low budget, but maybe there is better out there. Don't care what our manager's character is like, likeable a bonus, as long as he brings success. Success brings unity.

The board should always be keeping an eye on managerial availability. It's not being disloyal, it's just good football business sense. Anything can happen, look at the Notts County speculation. What's the board supposed to do, run around like headless chickens after a manager has gone? Waste two or three weeks collecting in CVs etc. In a time like the end of the season players would leave due to the uncertainty. Surely it's better to keep an updated hit list just in case?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
golfer
April 26, 2016, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Can,t see that we could afford him, his going rate will be at least 3 times that of Hurst. In any case if we get promoted and we win Trophy Hurst,s going nowhere, unless he,s drunk off with us lot [  me included  ] and leaves for a better  [ bigger ] club. I have called him the odd time but if this happens his C.V. will look pretty good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 27, 2016, 1:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

If we can only employ managers that have never been sacked, there would be a very short list. Things can go wrong for a successful and capable manager at a certain club for many reasons. Gary Johnson's been sacked, Jose Mourinho's been sacked. No good those two for us then?

Westley is better than we've got, promotion Conference and League One on a low budget, but maybe there is better out there. Don't care what our manager's character is like, likeable a bonus, as long as he brings success. Success brings unity.

The board should always be keeping an eye on managerial availability. It's not being disloyal, it's just good football business sense. Anything can happen, look at the Notts County speculation. What's the board supposed to do, run around like headless chickens after a manager has gone? Waste two or three weeks collecting in CVs etc. In a time like the end of the season players would leave due to the uncertainty. Surely it's better to keep an updated hit list just in case?

I agree with you. Sadly though,we know from experience that having a Plan B is not in the DNA of our club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
ginnywings
April 28, 2016, 12:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
There always seems to be a post along the lines of " no thanks, he's a male masturbator/c*nt/knobhead/wifebeater" or some such whenever possible managers are discussed. How do you know this and even if true, i don't fecking care if they are good at their job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
ROKERITE
April 28, 2016, 8:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
I actually thought about Westley for Grimsby when he was sacked by Posh. He has a poisonous reputation with so many fans at every club but I'm a great admirer of the bloke. The fact he has been sacked after seven months with a win percentage of 45% and virtually all the fans delighted he has gone says a lot about the short term thinking and impossible demands of so many supporters these days.
It's significant that PoshHarry and HertsGTFC, two people who have actually seen Westley's teams play, both seem supportive of the idea of him coming to Blundell Park. I've followed his career for some years and think his reputation is very unfair. Getting him to come to Grimsby might not be easy but Fenty's loyalty to his managers, which is normally so exasperating, might be a tempting factor. To know you won't have a trigger-happy chairman/owner, but one who'll give you time to do the job, could overrule the geographical question; and Grimsby Town would arguably be his second biggest job so far in management.
Of course it's all academic. Grimsby Town are going to win tomorrow and win the play-off final next month, aren't they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Garth
April 28, 2016, 9:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Westley for Village green rovers is my guess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
ROKERITE
April 28, 2016, 9:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Garth
Westley for Village green rovers is my guess

I do hope you're wrong though it has a ring of possibilty about it. As I've said I rate Westley highly and I can't stand FGR, or to be more accurate I can't stand Dale Vince and he is FGR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
AdamHaddock
April 28, 2016, 2:47pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I think Westley will go to Eastleigh

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Graham Westley - Available

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.