Graham Westley - Available

This thread currently has 5,201 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Grimsby69
April 25, 2016, 12:20pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +9
Here is a name of a potential replacement in the summer if we fail to win promotion. What are your thoughts on him being appointed and do you think he will come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Ronnie
April 25, 2016, 12:22pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
As long as he brings Elding........ 😬😂

Not for me thanks.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
Rik e B
April 25, 2016, 12:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
How about we stop looking to a future that doesn't exist yet and get behind this team 100% for what could be one of the most define months in our long history?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
April 25, 2016, 12:45pm
Guest User
20 days will be the best time to discuss.
Reply: 3 - 27
GollyGTFC
April 25, 2016, 12:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Considering the main gripe against Hurst is his lack of a "Plan B" there seems to be a lot of people unhappy that some fans are actually considering one for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 27
psgmariner
April 25, 2016, 12:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
The drinks breaks would be funny once but think his gamesmanship and DIRECT style would put people off.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
RoboCod
April 25, 2016, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Number one target for Lincoln I'd hazard

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
arryarryarry
April 25, 2016, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RoboCod
Number one target for Lincoln I'd hazard

According to the NLP. Robbie Fowler is.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
psgmariner
April 25, 2016, 1:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I wouldn't have thought he need to drop down to the Conference. Someone like Crawley would seem a better fit.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Posh Harry
April 25, 2016, 1:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
I have been to a couple of posh games this season, both corporate as I have great difficulty turning down free food, a free bar and a free ticket to watch a bit of footy!

First game was Westley's first game in charge and he came and talked to the sponsors. Too be fair he came across really well seemed to know his stuff and could see how he could motivate a team. Posh won 5-3 and went on a great run playing some good football. The second game was Saturday v the scunts and they still tried to play decent football to be fair, it just wasn't working. I am guessing he had been given a 'win at all costs' from the chairman as it was 0-0 half time and if anything posh were the slightly better team. He then made a couple of subs at half time, played players out of position and it went very pear shaped in the 2nd half. All over the place, headless chickens. Crowd seemed to be grumbling that it had been really bad for a while but it was clear he was on his way out just watching the second half. Sh8t or bust. Shows he is prepared to make changes to get a win though!!

Hopefully we get promotion and PH is therefore still manager. If not, then I think we could do worse. As I say, they played decent football but just didn't work (remember how Buckley teams could look brilliant one game and awful the next as the passing just did not work on the day). Would he come here? If not working by then I would suspect he would, but obviously just a guess.

Connor played and had a steady game. Not got the licence to get forward as much but did take Marcus Maddison out big style and got himself a yellow card. But anyone who takes out that cheating diving scumbag Maddison out of the game gets a tick from me.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
IlkleyMariner
April 25, 2016, 1:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,872
Gold Stars: 66
No thanks.... not under any circumstances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Abdul19
April 25, 2016, 1:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
I'd look forward to him texting me with ticket news at 2 in the morning.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Davec
April 25, 2016, 1:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
I would be delighted if we appointed Westley, he's got promotion from this league and from league 2 before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
Bigdog
April 25, 2016, 2:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Davec
I would be delighted if we appointed Westley, he's got promotion from this league and from league 2 before

I agree. We would be very lucky to attract someone of his calibre and experience especially if we were non league. We need someone with his knowledge of League One and League Two players and playing standards. To win the Conference we need to be playing consistently as good as a top half League Two team or mid-table League One team. If we get promoted and Hurst leaves it will put us in a better position to have a quick look around. If we lose in the play-offs, and he was willing to come, I'd sign him up immediately to get an early start on trying to re-sign our best players and assemble his squad as soon as possible. If Hurst goes we can't afford to deliberate and take too long in getting a replacement in.

The board should always be updating a list of potential managerial candidates for any contingency anyway.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
forza ivano
April 25, 2016, 3:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
apart from PNE, where he'd have earnt a decent salary, he's a Southerner, Couldn't see him straying this far North for a lesser salary than his P'boro one. Plenty of decent lower/non league clubs in the South who'll offer him what he wants
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
MuddyWaters
April 25, 2016, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Davec

Perhaps you could add that to your message to GYFR?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
HertsGTFC
April 25, 2016, 4:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
When Whestley was Manager at Stevenage I saw them a couple of times when they where in the PO Campaign to come into League 1 and actually I have to say they had a really good mix of ability and physicality and it was clear that similar to the likes of Gary Johnson he knew how to set a team up to win games at that level without resorting to long ball.

He built that team with a mix of free/cheap signings and also players who he had brought up with him when they came up from the Conference and the players looked like they wanted to play for him.

I doubt he would come to us but he has a good pedigree at this level and would in theory be able to take us forward, he is a typical Southerner though so may not be to the liking of some around the club.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Grantley
April 25, 2016, 5:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
While he's a good manager, he's also a girl private.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Rik e B
April 25, 2016, 10:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Considering the main gripe against Hurst is his lack of a "Plan B" there seems to be a lot of people unhappy that some fans are actually considering one for the club.

The board should be busy as we speak with shady backroom plans sounding out the highest calibre managers as possible for an immediate smooth transition should disaster come to us and there mass mutiny among the fans -to inspire our best players not to jump rudderless ship and provide immediate inspiration and galvanisation.

This should be a highly secretive process mind.

'It's easy spending someone else's money' yes, but would it pay dividends longer term to invest in an attractive pay package to entice a top manager?

You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Problem is if it blows up got to pay him off.

More likely though Hurst has reached the targets set for him and they plan to keep the status quo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
aldi_01
April 26, 2016, 6:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not thanks...not a nice bloke and we aren't currently looking. The non league mourinho is out of work, what about him?

There's a reason Peterborough have sacked him...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
Bigdog
April 26, 2016, 9:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01
Not thanks...not a nice bloke and we aren't currently looking. The non league mourinho is out of work, what about him?

There's a reason Peterborough have sacked him...

If we can only employ managers that have never been sacked, there would be a very short list. Things can go wrong for a successful and capable manager at a certain club for many reasons. Gary Johnson's been sacked, Jose Mourinho's been sacked. No good those two for us then?

Westley is better than we've got, promotion Conference and League One on a low budget, but maybe there is better out there. Don't care what our manager's character is like, likeable a bonus, as long as he brings success. Success brings unity.

The board should always be keeping an eye on managerial availability. It's not being disloyal, it's just good football business sense. Anything can happen, look at the Notts County speculation. What's the board supposed to do, run around like headless chickens after a manager has gone? Waste two or three weeks collecting in CVs etc. In a time like the end of the season players would leave due to the uncertainty. Surely it's better to keep an updated hit list just in case?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
golfer
April 26, 2016, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Can,t see that we could afford him, his going rate will be at least 3 times that of Hurst. In any case if we get promoted and we win Trophy Hurst,s going nowhere, unless he,s drunk off with us lot [  me included  ] and leaves for a better  [ bigger ] club. I have called him the odd time but if this happens his C.V. will look pretty good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 27, 2016, 1:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

If we can only employ managers that have never been sacked, there would be a very short list. Things can go wrong for a successful and capable manager at a certain club for many reasons. Gary Johnson's been sacked, Jose Mourinho's been sacked. No good those two for us then?

Westley is better than we've got, promotion Conference and League One on a low budget, but maybe there is better out there. Don't care what our manager's character is like, likeable a bonus, as long as he brings success. Success brings unity.

The board should always be keeping an eye on managerial availability. It's not being disloyal, it's just good football business sense. Anything can happen, look at the Notts County speculation. What's the board supposed to do, run around like headless chickens after a manager has gone? Waste two or three weeks collecting in CVs etc. In a time like the end of the season players would leave due to the uncertainty. Surely it's better to keep an updated hit list just in case?

I agree with you. Sadly though,we know from experience that having a Plan B is not in the DNA of our club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
ginnywings
April 28, 2016, 12:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
There always seems to be a post along the lines of " no thanks, he's a male masturbator/c*nt/knobhead/wifebeater" or some such whenever possible managers are discussed. How do you know this and even if true, i don't fecking care if they are good at their job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
ROKERITE
April 28, 2016, 8:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
I actually thought about Westley for Grimsby when he was sacked by Posh. He has a poisonous reputation with so many fans at every club but I'm a great admirer of the bloke. The fact he has been sacked after seven months with a win percentage of 45% and virtually all the fans delighted he has gone says a lot about the short term thinking and impossible demands of so many supporters these days.
It's significant that PoshHarry and HertsGTFC, two people who have actually seen Westley's teams play, both seem supportive of the idea of him coming to Blundell Park. I've followed his career for some years and think his reputation is very unfair. Getting him to come to Grimsby might not be easy but Fenty's loyalty to his managers, which is normally so exasperating, might be a tempting factor. To know you won't have a trigger-happy chairman/owner, but one who'll give you time to do the job, could overrule the geographical question; and Grimsby Town would arguably be his second biggest job so far in management.
Of course it's all academic. Grimsby Town are going to win tomorrow and win the play-off final next month, aren't they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Garth
April 28, 2016, 9:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Westley for Village green rovers is my guess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
ROKERITE
April 28, 2016, 9:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Garth
Westley for Village green rovers is my guess

I do hope you're wrong though it has a ring of possibilty about it. As I've said I rate Westley highly and I can't stand FGR, or to be more accurate I can't stand Dale Vince and he is FGR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
AdamHaddock
April 28, 2016, 2:47pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
I think Westley will go to Eastleigh

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Graham Westley - Available

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.