Quoted from Teestogreen
Heysel Stadium disaster
Heysel Stadium disaster
Event 1985 European Cup Final
Juventus 1–0 Liverpool
Date 29 May 1985
Location Heysel Stadium, Brussels
Cause Rioting and stadium disrepair
Result 5-year ban for all English clubs & 6-year ban for Liverpool from European competition.
Several top officials, police captain Johan Mahieu, and 14 fans convicted of manslaughter
The Heysel Stadium disaster (pronounced: [ˈɦɛizəl]; Dutch: Heizeldrama; French: Drame du Heysel) occurred on 29 May 1985 when escaping fans were pressed against a collapsing wall in the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium, before the start of the 1985 European Cup Final between Juventus of Italy and Liverpool of England. 39 people—mostly Italians and Juventus fans—were killed[1] and 600 were injured in the confrontation.[2]

'Approximately 1 hour before the Juventus-Liverpool final was due to kick off, a large group of Liverpool fans breached a fence that was separating them from a "neutral area" which contained mostly Juventus fans. The latter ran back on the terraces and away from the threat into a concrete retaining wall. Fans already standing near the wall were crushed; eventually the wall collapsed. Many people climbed over to safety, but many others died or were badly injured. The game was played despite the disaster in order to prevent further violence, with Juventus winning 1–0.[3]

The tragedy resulted in all English football clubs being placed under an indefinite ban by UEFA from all European competitions (lifted in 1990–91), with Liverpool being excluded for an additional 3 years, later reduced to 1,[4] and fourteen Liverpool fans found guilty of manslaughter and each sentenced to three years' imprisonment. The disaster was later described as "the darkest hour in the history of the UEFA competitions".[5]

I suppose the authorities at the time were wary of the above findings but, not enough thought went in to security fence design at Hillsborough to prevent the inevitable disaster maybe.

I went to this game at the Heysel, arrived at the ground after the problem had happened, gained access into section X, learned what had happened and the start of the game was put on hold, left the ground (due to no longer being interested in being at the game but watched it in a bar with Belgians and Italians). Always felt that the best outcome was a Juventus victory: - ref denied Ronnie Whelan (I think) a penalty for a foul inside the penalty box and gave Juventus a penalty for a foul outside the penalty box. These decisions helped, in a very very small way, to give a small amount of justice to Juventus, I thought.  

There was trouble well before this game kicked off, the pre match game was Belgian team playing in red so Liverpool fans backed them and they ended up fighting with Juventus fans and that game was stopped.

What I remember from this game a larger contingent of Juventus fans got tickets with a smaller group of Liverpool fans in what was meant to be the neutral zone for Belgians, and the obvious gesturing resulted coins and stones being thrown by both sides.

As we know the Hooligan element of most English clubs at the time were more than open to fighting on the terraces. A surge of Liverpool hooligans caused a panic and that led to the horrific scenes.

Policing, segregation and a rotten stadium being the root cause of this terrible page in history.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 88
Bristol Mariner
April 27, 2016, 5:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
What idiot gave 'Bigdog' a Red Cross. Ffs the man was there and his post had nothing political about it, pure facts from someone who was there. I give up

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 88
RoboCod
April 27, 2016, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from arryarryarry

i always had a soft spot for Forest, particularly Cloughie through the 80's but I can't say that I ever felt Cloughie's class and knowledge was passed on to a large bulk of Forest fans. They seem to have taken on his abrupt and forthright approach but not his fair-mindedness. Every other Forest fan that I've spoken with simply hate Scousers, and all seem to have been their that fateful day, or (rather handily) knew someone who was, seeing things that non one else did, but should have, from the away end.

Again, thousands of pages, hours of footage, hundreds of eye witnesses (a lot of them neutral) who have presented their evidence, yet still I hear the same..a mate of a mate who knew the program seller that day saw 'what really happened' etc....I wonder if these faceless message board types might actually go as far as to join a radio phone in and tell us what they saw and see if it could possibly tie in with the version of events that thousands of others saw, including the police, who have now withdrawn all of their drunken mob/gate storming/ticketless gangs theories. Maybe, depressingly, The Sun newspaper really can sell a story that sticks, at least to those who want to believe something.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 88
TownSNAFU5
April 27, 2016, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,861
Gold Stars: 42
I remember at the time of the disaster, that Liverpool fans said that the FA should have given them the opposite end of the ground.  This was bigger and Liverpool were expected to take more fans.

Unless I missed it, I did not see this issue mentioned yesterday as a contributory factor.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 88
Eastendmariner
April 27, 2016, 7:04pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Like I said before let's not be Nieve about where the cover started and where it ended

This is a National Scandel  and the Thatcher Goverment knew about  it  

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 88
KingstonMariner
April 27, 2016, 10:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I can't believe some of the muppets on here still disregard the evidence of a due and proper legal process, heard and ruled on by a jury. Sun and Times readers to a man I suspect.

I see that well known Left Wing Witch Hunter (copyright RRFC), Teresa May, was sticking the boot into the rozzers today.

Mark my words, there will be some revelations about ministerial involvement in the cover ups and lies. Now the Tory government has turned on the Old Bill (after falling out with them over cuts the other year) and has been dragged into clipping the press' wings over phone hacking (and bribing coppers), rozzers and journos will be looking for opportunities to bring some big names down with them.

The gang of crooks is falling out big time.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 88
big al
April 28, 2016, 8:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from top man
Full sympathy for the families and relatives and any body involved, BUT  a lot of people turned up late- forged tickets, excess alcohol. desperate to get in close to kick off- and a decision was made , rightly or wrongly to open gates to ease congestion , Many times have Town fans been in a similar situation and it must of been horrendous- remember Derby ,Leicester ,. Wolves . Wednesday  etc in our heydays , To blame one Policeman who oversaw the day is a bit harsh in my opinion . A lot of things went wrong that day and affected a lot of people . is justice done  ? RIP the 96  

Possibly the most hideous post I've ever seen on the fishy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 88
big al
April 28, 2016, 8:23am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen
Heysel Stadium disaster
Heysel Stadium disaster
Event 1985 European Cup Final
Juventus 1–0 Liverpool
Date 29 May 1985
Location Heysel Stadium, Brussels
Cause Rioting and stadium disrepair
Result 5-year ban for all English clubs & 6-year ban for Liverpool from European competition.
Several top officials, police captain Johan Mahieu, and 14 fans convicted of manslaughter
The Heysel Stadium disaster (pronounced: [ˈɦɛizəl]; Dutch: Heizeldrama; French: Drame du Heysel) occurred on 29 May 1985 when escaping fans were pressed against a collapsing wall in the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium, before the start of the 1985 European Cup Final between Juventus of Italy and Liverpool of England. 39 people—mostly Italians and Juventus fans—were killed[1] and 600 were injured in the confrontation.[2]

'Approximately 1 hour before the Juventus-Liverpool final was due to kick off, a large group of Liverpool fans breached a fence that was separating them from a "neutral area" which contained mostly Juventus fans. The latter ran back on the terraces and away from the threat into a concrete retaining wall. Fans already standing near the wall were crushed; eventually the wall collapsed. Many people climbed over to safety, but many others died or were badly injured. The game was played despite the disaster in order to prevent further violence, with Juventus winning 1–0.[3]

The tragedy resulted in all English football clubs being placed under an indefinite ban by UEFA from all European competitions (lifted in 1990–91), with Liverpool being excluded for an additional 3 years, later reduced to 1,[4] and fourteen Liverpool fans found guilty of manslaughter and each sentenced to three years' imprisonment. The disaster was later described as "the darkest hour in the history of the UEFA competitions".[5]

I suppose the authorities at the time were wary of the above findings but, not enough thought went in to security fence design at Hillsborough to prevent the inevitable disaster maybe.

I went to this game at the Heysel, arrived at the ground after the problem had happened, gained access into section X, learned what had happened and the start of the game was put on hold, left the ground (due to no longer being interested in being at the game but watched it in a bar with Belgians and Italians). Always felt that the best outcome was a Juventus victory: - ref denied Ronnie Whelan (I think) a penalty for a foul inside the penalty box and gave Juventus a penalty for a foul outside the penalty box. These decisions helped, in a very very small way, to give a small amount of justice to Juventus, I thought.  

No, was wrong. This one's even more despicable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 88
big al
April 28, 2016, 8:29am
Snakebite drinker
I came in to work this morning (in Manchester), bumped in to someone and told them that I'm going to Wembley in two weeks to see my team return to the football league. Read this thread and feel sick regarding quite a few of the posts on here. There are many you have a lot to learn from the dignity and grace of the people that this whole thing has affected. Could probably get you a job with the South Yorkshire police legal team if you fancy it. Go and speak your bile to the people of Liverpool,

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 88
Caesar
April 28, 2016, 8:37am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Bit late to the discussion, normally the withch hunt in the aftermath of tragedy is something that upsets me.  For example there were so many errors that caused that tragedy, I think it is foolish to blame one person or one group, diasasters are a series of unfortunate events and most of the time if you take out one of the contributing factors, the disaster doesn't occur.  So for example I think it is right to say that if the hooligan elements hadn't been so prominenet in football we wouldn't have had peremiter fencing, no peremiter fencing no tragedy that day.  To disregard all fan behaviour in the years building up to Hilsborough would be wrong.  

BUT having had these problems we had the procedures and systems in place to properly deal with crowds like this and not let what happened happen.  Catastrophic mistakes were made by the people managing the game on the day.  If they had been open and honest about it that would of been the most powerful weapon, we learn from our mistakes.  I admit if I make a mistake at work it doesn't result in 96 people losing their lives, but surely if the man who carried that scar with him everyday was to use his experience to prevent it happening to anyonelse that would of been so beneficial to all people involved in crowd control.

Instead they hid the truth disgracefully trying to run away from the consequences, and that is the biggest offence in my opinion.  While I do not think Tatcher, Ingham and co. were actually involved in covering it up, I do think their predisposed opinion that football fans were all yobs meant they were happy with the varnished truth and never took any further interest in the matter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hillsborough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.