This thread currently has 4,424 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
inandout
April 28, 2016, 10:18am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +70
I remember watching, not just the city, not just the footballing world but the whole of the country coming together to mourn on the 25th anniversary, and rightly so. I remember crying at the poignancy of it all, but after yesterdays quite historic verdict, and without ever forgetting what happened or the people who unlawfully perished, surely the time for any public shows of grieving should now be reserved, as history demands for future milestone anniversaries, 30th, 40th and the like.

Yesterday wasn't so much about remembrance any more, it was about the conclusion of a 27 year long legal journey made by 96 grieving families and their supporters (97 if one includes the poor soul who committed suicide after selling his ticket to one who died) to get to the truth.

A truth consistently denied to them by the appalling failure of an establishment that we all rely on, or should do anyway, to protect us, and who in an attempt to cover up all their failings, closed ranks like never before, turned out lie after lie, committed perjury over and over again, and who collectively resorted to unprecedented levels of subterfuge to bury what actually happened.

Unlawful killing, whilst not quite giving the families the complete closure they seek, that surely can only be done when the protagonists of this horrific injustice are charged, at least signals the end of their relentless campaign for 'truth', and hopefully the unlawful killing verdict will, in the very short future also give them the justice they have battled so amazingly hard to get.

Singing You'll never walk alone as a token of remembrance or solidarity to me would not be patronising so much, but certainly uncalled for.

The families now know the truth, and far more importantly the whole world now knows the truth, and I think, especially after listening to so many of the very moving interviews yesterday now, for the first time in over a quarter of decade, is the appropriate time for them to at least try and move on with their lives, buoyed hopefully not just by yesterdays verdict but by the fact that with it's announcement, not only do they now officially know the truth but that they also have the support and love of the whole country, and you surely don't need to sing a long, however well intended to remember the 96 any more. Let the families do that in their own way and am sure they do and will, especially as no-one, and I mean no-one, will ever forget this tragedy, and that's surely how it should be?    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
RoboCod
April 28, 2016, 10:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Agree with inandout. The closure can start, the criminal proceedings too. The vindication is done and dusted, it needs no one from outside of it to try and help it along, however good the intentions. It's all about the families now.
Let's get focussed on our own needs and get scoring bags of goals.

Goals = promotion, fellow Mariners! it's within touching distance

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
Madeleymariner
April 28, 2016, 5:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Prosecute all those involved in south Yorks police involved in the cover up I'd be more happy with that than singing YNWA at tranmere

Do we have to dress up as gay cops and red indians to sing YNWA
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
PrestwichMariner
April 28, 2016, 6:18pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Personally bearing in mind the criticism of the police I find it somewhat crass that Merseyside police are now happy to impose restrictions on our fans on Saturday

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
dapperz fun pub
April 28, 2016, 8:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Do we have to dress up as gay cops and red indians to sing YNWA

If that's your thing dress up fella absolutely no problem at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
Golden fox
April 28, 2016, 9:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Watched a documentary Last night on BBC I player about the lady who carried the fight for the 96 , it really is worth a watch . Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago, but without her courage and dignity justice might never of been reached .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
moosey_club
April 29, 2016, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

We may have disagreed earlier Ska but I'm with you on this sentiment. There's a danger of turning this into a Diana moment.

Dont get me started on that one.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Green27
April 29, 2016, 4:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
I reckon Merseyside police should implement a dispersal order to show football fans truly are criminals for being what they are irrespective of recent events.  

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tranmere/Hillsborough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.