3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 28, 2016, 7:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
I don't like to think about failing to get promoted through the play-offs , the thought of failing again would be a bitter pill to swallow. But if we fail and then succeed in the FAT then it would be a welcome financial boost for next season. It could be very handy especially if PH goes  (which I think he should if we don't get promoted ). It would give us some spending power to help the new manager put a squad together.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
pontoonlew
April 28, 2016, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
The biggest boost comes from the attendance. If we lose in the play-off final nobody will turn up and if they do I sure as excrement hope it's not Paul Hurst spending the profits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
lukeo
April 28, 2016, 8:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
attendance will be split in 4 so don't get to excited
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
chaos33
April 28, 2016, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Do you know, it's actually just occurred to me that I am probably genuinely more interested in knowing an approximate amount of income the FAT final might generate than I am in the actual outcome of the match itself. Funny. Must be just me.

I suppose that NET, it's possibly not much at all. Less than six figures I should think.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
GrimRob
April 29, 2016, 7:15am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Sacking PH would cost most of the income. Plus if you want a big name replacement that'll cost extra too. Personally I'd rather spend money on players than sackings.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 27
promotion plaice
April 29, 2016, 7:26am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from GrimRob
Sacking PH would cost most of the income. Plus if you want a big name replacement that'll cost extra too. Personally I'd rather spend money on players than sackings.

Not that l'm agreeing with it at this moment but would PH need sacking, I thought he was on a rolling contract.....?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
GrimRob
April 29, 2016, 7:39am

A rolling contract means you'll always have to be sacked unless there is some exit clause based upon performance.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 6 - 27
jonnyboy82
April 29, 2016, 7:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Here we go...

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
diehardmariner
April 29, 2016, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,067
Gold Stars: 518
Can we have a thread that doesn't turn into a Hurst In/Hurst Out debate please?

Prize money for winning the trophy is £50,000, runners up £25,000.  Combined with the prize money from each round it would result in a windfall of £92,000 for the winner.  That's not to be sniffed at one bit, almost as much as Operation Promotion itself.  What you can, probably should say could, factor in is any knock on of merchandise that would potentially arise from a Wembley trip.  

For Town that's not quite the picture.  I would hazard a guess that the early round matches were run at a loss, if not very close to one.  So we can discount the prize money in those rounds.   We'll have very little, if any, knock-on merchandise sales from a trip to Wembley in the Trophy.  Some will argue that the new shirt will sell extra units, I personally think the people who will buy the shirt will do so regardless be it in May, June, July or whatever month.  

Even if we discount the earlier rounds and any potential merchandise boost, we're still looking at £25,000 for turning up and doubling that if we win.   That could be the difference between keeping a coach on such as Andy Warrington or not.  That's how I'm looking it.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Rik e B
April 29, 2016, 10:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
£25,000 for all the fixture congestion which has potential to wreak havoc on promotion bid, especially in seasons where there's a terrible winter. Ner thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
Cloudy
April 29, 2016, 10:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Rik e B
£25,000 for all the fixture congestion which has potential to wreak havoc on promotion bid, especially in seasons where there's a terrible winter. Ner thanks.

There hasnt been any fixture congestion this season has there?

When we got to the final v Wrexham there was but since then I think there was only one scheduled midweek league game after New Year and plenty of scope to fit games in comfortably. We have hardly been playing Sat, Tues, Thurs, Sat have we?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
GrimRob
April 29, 2016, 10:50am

We had a really tough April even without the extra fixtures, which the FAT inserted into the schedule. We didn't know Cheltenham were going to win the league with such a large points total last year when the FAT started. At most it's probably cost us 5 or 6 points, not enough to have made a difference this season, but if the league had been closer it could have done had Cheltenham not won a few of their close games. If we're in this division next season I'd like to see us throw the game in Round 1 just to give ourselves an extra chance of going up. I doubt it pays for itself until at least the quarter-finals so we wouldn't lose anything with an early exit.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 11 - 27
fishkeeper
April 29, 2016, 10:57am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136
Quoted from GrimRob

money well spent then sacking him  . Most of the current squad will leave  at the end of the season I think  if we don't go up and how many good  players will  come here to play in a nearly team under him  or just be bench warmers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
MuddyWaters
April 29, 2016, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Cloudy

There hasnt been any fixture congestion this season has there?

When we got to the final v Wrexham there was but since then I think there was only one scheduled midweek league game after New Year and plenty of scope to fit games in comfortably. We have hardly been playing Sat, Tues, Thurs, Sat have we?

We had a three week run of Sat Tues Sat against mainly top half teams, most away games were long journeys (Dover, Aldershot, Woking) and most midweeks were caused by the Trophy. Against the financial benefit of promotion, I don't believe that's a price worth paying.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
Cloudy
April 29, 2016, 2:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Could have been as much a issue had we gone 2 weeks without a game due to other teams playing in the trophy plus it is a very southern based league so that isnt something we can easily change

Lets just hope we get ourselves promoted and then we can have local games v Yeovil, Plymouth, Pompey and Carlisle!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
Rik e B
April 29, 2016, 3:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
GrimRob explained it perfectly Cloudy and if ever there is a bleak Winter the two combined cause absolute chaos during the run in. Players tired, travelling up and down the country, minds elsewhere: -one Season with Shouty still on board we were top and flying at Christmas then it all fell apart.

Even if it made us one or two points being out, that could be the difference in a close Season and id take that every day of the week over 25k.

Hurst has played a second string in earlier rounds admittedly but even more so it should be used to blood more youngsters, perfect for the transition to the senior game and if they progress then fair do's.

Getting back into the league is everything. Absolutely everything. I see Gary Johnson played the kids as soon as the tiniest sniff of the slightest possibility of messing with league program. This should be our attitude.

We could have won it four times say but still sat down here is failure, end of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Rik e B
April 29, 2016, 3:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
And I don't think 'we are above' the competition or any of those kind of self righteous high and mighty beliefs, just that getting back into the Football League is absolutely paramount, possibly for our very existence and nothing should distract from that goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
diehardmariner
April 29, 2016, 4:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,067
Gold Stars: 518
Even if we went out in the first round, we could end up with a fixture congestion depending on how other teams progress in the competition.  This is no different to what happens in other leagues across the country.

When we met Woking in the semi's, regardless of who the winner was the league game between the two sides was to be rearranged due to the Trophy taking priority over league games.

As long as we're in this league we participate in the Trophy, we might as well get the best out of it.  This season especially it has given the opportunity for fringe players to get a run-out, that's worked on extremes of keeping the likes of Pearson ticking over but also allowed Hurst to look at the likes of Henderson.  The early trophy rounds also gave Nolan and Horwood the chance to shake off a bit of rust before they were quickly thrust into the league campaign.

The Trophy has had absolutely no impact on our league position.  We've not been good enough all season.  We've lacked the 'thou shall not pass' attitude of previous seasons at the back, don't dominate teams in midfield, don't pick up enough second balls, don't have enough width to attack teams and revert to long ball tactics despite not having a recognised target man.  We also lack a much desired Plan B.    That's why we've not gone up automatically this season, not because of a few rearranged games in the FA Trophy.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Jaws
April 29, 2016, 5:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Has the prize gone up seeing as the costs of merging 2 finals into 1 day must be less?
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Cloudy
April 29, 2016, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
GrimRob explained it perfectly Cloudy and if ever there is a bleak Winter the two combined cause absolute chaos during the run in. Players tired, travelling up and down the country, minds elsewhere: -one Season with Shouty still on board we were top and flying at Christmas then it all fell apart.

Even if it made us one or two points being out, that could be the difference in a close Season and id take that every day of the week over 25k.

Hurst has played a second string in earlier rounds admittedly but even more so it should be used to blood more youngsters, perfect for the transition to the senior game and if they progress then fair do's.

Getting back into the league is everything. Absolutely everything. I see Gary Johnson played the kids as soon as the tiniest sniff of the slightest possibility of messing with league program. This should be our attitude.

We could have won it four times say but still sat down here is failure, end of.

GrimRob expressed an opinion ( one he has repeated on many occasions ) it is just that I don't believe the Trophy has had any impact on our league form this season. As DHM states it has, in the early rounds at least been very beneficial
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
Rik e B
April 29, 2016, 6:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
An opinion that resonates with mine then  

I agree it has been beneficial at times this season, think it's the first time we've utilised it wisely like that. I'd have liked a teeny bit more of youth being blooded though.

I'm certain (okay it is my strong opinion) that the potential for losing league points is there, though there is no way of ever knowing truly of course. Surely a break instead of a long trip even if games rejigged because a league opponent is still faffing about in the thing better. Chance to train and focus on tactics to best face upcoming league team?

Don't want to be a negative nelly, we in it so why not win it and all that.... especially now! -Perhaps it's the overall circus of the organisation of things down here whereby Trophy takes priority over the league campaign that causes so many of us to treat it with a smidgeon of disdain.

I just want promotion. Everything else pales into insignificance. If we fail to go up then lift the trophy any celebration from me will be shallow and likely forced before the overpower grim reality quickly returns that we face the prospect of yet another season in the non league. In fact it will be almost embarrassing the victory parade and all that goof. Mates patting me on the back and hugging while I give a false smile and think to myself 'No.'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Rik e B
April 29, 2016, 6:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Or we could go to Wembley for a second time as a Football League club and even if we don't turn up and  get smashed 4-0 I'll be singing and dancing like a mad man throughout!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Vance Warner
April 29, 2016, 7:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from lukeo
attendance will be split in 4 so don't get to excited

Is this true? If so it might benefit us with the number Hereford are taking. Morpeth will think they've hit the jackpot!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Rik e B
April 30, 2016, 9:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Who?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
RonMariner
April 30, 2016, 4:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
I think scrapping replays and moving to a one gam semi would help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2016, 4:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GrimRob
A rolling contract means you'll always have to be sacked unless there is some exit clause based upon performance.

I am sure you could resign if you wanted to........

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
lee65
April 30, 2016, 4:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Surely a rolling contract means either party can give the other notice?,and obviously there will be a period that would need paying up if gtfc asked the manager to leave, or would be compensation from another club if Paul Hurst was poached (before I get a load of flack, I'm not suggesting the second one will happen!)
Three months would be sensible, but knowing us it will probably be a year, hence JF always feels we cant afford it  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
Rik e B
April 30, 2016, 5:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
I think one year rolling is fair all round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Income From FAT Final

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.