6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
May 24, 2016, 12:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,807
Gold Stars: 89
For years I've always seen us as a club whose natural level is League 1, which is a bit weird as I've only seen us have 2 seasons there in my lifetime!  It got me thinking about what our current status is within the game, as I glanced at the League 2 table and thought 'hang on, there's some big clubs in there, I don't remember it being like that before!'.

I wondered if you lot agreed or disagreed with the relative size of GTFC (mainly to do with fan base, and potential fan base) compared to the others?  Here's how I see it:

Clubs bigger than Town:

Plymouth (they might go up to League 1 anyway)
Portsmouth (this is a given)
Carlisle
Luton
Notts County
Donny (this is possibly a debate in itself.....)
Blackpool

Clubs smaller than Town:

Accrington
Wimbledon (also in the Playoff Final......)
Leyton Orient
Cambridge
Mansfield
Wycombe
Exeter
Barnet
Hartlepool
Stevenage
Yeovil
Crawley
Morecambe
Newport
Cheltenham
Colchester
Crewe

You could of course argue that clubs like Orient, Crewe and Cambridge are very similar sized, and I wouldn't disagree with that, but I thought I'd be ruthless and chance my arm a little!

Do people think I'm over or under-cooking us as an outfit?  Be interesting to see whether we think our stock has risen or fallen during the wilderness years........

In summary, though, I still see this next season being one of discovery for us and I'd see mid-table as being a big step in the right direction and a decent achievement.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
May 24, 2016, 12:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,448
Gold Stars: 15
Doncaster bigger than Town? Maybe ground-wise at the moment, but never in a million years!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
jimgtfc
May 24, 2016, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
I really do hate this 'were a bigger club than x'. What dictates who is a bigger club than another? And what do you win for being a big club? It really is a nonsense.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
pontoonlew
May 24, 2016, 12:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
It's hilarious to see Doncaster putting us down and claiming they're a big club after our promotion.

Doncaster have NEVER been a bigger club than us. In league position over the past 10 years yes, but never before that. Parity is gradually being restored.

Saying that they're increasing their budget next year, last year it was £4.5m! Absolutely eye watering stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
Heisenberg
May 24, 2016, 12:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Doncaster bigger than Town? Maybe ground-wise at the moment, but never in a million years!

Why, because they were a poxy non-league club?  Those in glass houses.....

Donny is a bigger place with more people (so I believe), and my opinion is that their home gates and travelling support would be bigger than ours if they had some success again.

Anyway, it's all about opinions, that's all!  I could have it wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
Heisenberg
May 24, 2016, 12:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
It's hilarious to see Doncaster putting us down and claiming they're a big club after our promotion.

Doncaster have NEVER been a bigger club than us. In league position over the past 10 years yes, but never before that. Parity is gradually being restored.

Saying that they're increasing their budget next year, last year it was £4.5m! Absolutely eye watering stuff.

That would indicate that they're a bigger club, surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
Heisenberg
May 24, 2016, 12:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
I really do hate this 'were a bigger club than x'. What dictates who is a bigger club than another? And what do you win for being a big club? It really is a nonsense.

I already said I've based it on fan base and potential fan base, so I don't see it as nonsense at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
pontoonlew
May 24, 2016, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Still recovering from Championship wages with a rich chairman.

Donny have spent a large chunk of their history in Non Leagye.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
Ipswin
May 24, 2016, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
I'd swap Carlisle for the Orient and you are not far off

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
Rick12
May 24, 2016, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Heisenberg

I already said I've based it on fan base and potential fan base, so I don't see it as nonsense at all.
Agree .Fan base coupled with history does make a big effect if the energy is harnessed correctly.Just look at them special nights at Anfield when Liverpool won the Champions league in 2005 with a squad assembled that in the eyes of many wasnt that good.Hence it was the passion of the crowd that helped players overcome much bigger teams en route to the final and win that lucrative trophy

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town's status as a club in League 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.