6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
May 24, 2016, 12:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
There's hardly any difference in the population of Doncaster with Grimsby and Cleethorpes so why is their potential fan base bigger?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 57
Heisenberg
May 24, 2016, 12:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,804
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pontoonlew
Still recovering from Championship wages with a rich chairman.

Donny have spent a large chunk of their history in Non Leagye.

I didn't think Donny were non-league for much longer than us?  Cambridge had 9 years down there, but so what?  I'd hope nobody holds our 6 years against us for eternity!

The way I see it is the natural order of life does dictate what happens in the long term.  The Man City's DO go down to League 1, but ultimately they return because of their size.

The only reason Bournemouth are in the Premier League is because their owner allowed them to overspend by +£30m, and clubs like Crawley start to falter when the extra money runs out and they have to run on their own steam.

In this respect, I think Town will rise to League 1 in the coming years and the crowds will level out at around 6,000, but of course there's no guarantee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 24, 2016, 12:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Doncaster's basic fan base has historically been about the same as ours since the 70s but the hinterland is a lot more populated so if they are doing well you get people from around Rotherham, Barnsley, Leeds etc. who are sort of part-time fans.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
Heisenberg
May 24, 2016, 12:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,804
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
There's hardly any difference in the population of Doncaster with Grimsby and Cleethorpes so why is their potential fan base bigger?

You may be right there, but it's my opinion that their crowds when in the Championship were bigger than ours ever were in the present era.  You could be right though, the bubble may have burst there, but I'm not so sure.

Maybe it's just their new ground which made the difference.  Time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
MarinerGaz
May 24, 2016, 12:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Sounds about right, we're nearer top than middle...have to account for history as well as fan base. Remember when we were hovering around the bottom waiting for the seemingly inevitable relegation AB mentioned that it didn't seem right not having us in the league...that was true but we've seen other clubs go from strength to strength and we need to keep the push for the new stadium to maintain our status!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
Balthazar Bullitt
May 24, 2016, 12:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
"Size doesn't matter if you're winning" - Rocky Balboa...possibly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
Swansea_Mariner
May 24, 2016, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I do think the ground makes a big difference, it happened down here in Swansea where crowds virtually doubled over night. Hopefully we'll get to experience this boom sometime soon!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
Nelly GTFC
May 24, 2016, 1:13pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
I would say Leyton Orient are a similar sized club.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
ginnywings
May 24, 2016, 1:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I see us as top end of League 2, competing in League 1 in the good years and with an exceptional manager, maybe a flirtation to the Championship again. Think we have been promoted and relegated more than any other team, so my time supporting Town has seen us going up and down like a whore's drawers.

A new ground would give new impetus and almost certainly swell our fan base. No reason why we can't average around 10,000 under the right circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
Golden fox
May 24, 2016, 4:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Attendance wise we will definately be top half at least , would even argue top 7 especially if things are going well . The budget I expect will be somewhere around the middle Pompey , Doncaster etc will have probably double even treble the budget of us , then there will be the likes of Accrington Barnet etc who's will be much lower . I hate the my clubs bigger than yours argument if it was Man U ( who I particularly despise ) would be winning everything with The Sun and BBC having a particularly long wet dream over it . We have a great club with great fans and a manager who with the right backing IMO can definately take us higher , with the boot on the other foot and us not under pressure so much I feel his style of play and siege mentality will be suited to the league especially against the bigger teams . I'me genuinely looking forward to a big game were we are put under the cosh and 'nick' a 1-0 like in the old days . UTM.Fox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town's status as a club in League 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.