May 24, 2016, 9:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Plenty more out there. Not that fussed.

Good luck to the bloke and thanks for what you did to help us get promoted 👍🏾

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 134
May 24, 2016, 9:37pm
Guest User
Not quite a League 1 player but plenty to come from this copper top. Long term never a safe bet with scousers in the dressing room.
Reply: 101 - 134
nightrider
May 24, 2016, 9:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Huge step up for him baring in mind most didn't think he was upto it, not that far back - Gateshead...
Be interesting to see how he gets on 2 leagues above. Playing well against Barrow and Braintree is one thing, the likes of Sheff Utd and Charlton in a team that will no doubt be fighting for the drop is another. Must have been offered a fair wedge

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 134
Rik e B
May 24, 2016, 9:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Yes might be too high too soon and might even struggle to get game time. Another year with us could have done his development the world of good but it's done now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 134
GollyGTFC
May 24, 2016, 11:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
I never got the love for Nolan. Don't get me wrong he was a decent player, but Danny Cowley was right about him in my opinion. And our results with him in the team were dreadful:-

Nolan started 18 regular season league games...

Played 18
Won 7
Drawn 4
Lost 7
Points 25
GD -1

And the 28 regular season league games where Nolan didn't start...

Played 28
Won 15
Drawn 10
Lost 3
Points 55
GD +38

For such a "great" player the stats seem to suggest that as a team we were a hell of a lot worse with him in midfield than without him. No great loss in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 104 - 134
Rik e B
May 24, 2016, 11:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
One word: Townsend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 134
HertsGTFC
May 25, 2016, 12:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
My opinion of him changed dramatically and he looked much better as he got much match fitter.

The lad has real talent and as someone said to me once "you become a better player if you play with better players" so as well as the step up in league status he is taking his chance.

Overall he did a good job for us and the relationship clearly worked both ways in the end.

Good luck & thank you.

Time to sign another player to replace him and we all move on.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 134
mariner91
May 25, 2016, 12:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I never got the love for Nolan. Don't get me wrong he was a decent player, but Danny Cowley was right about him in my opinion. And our results with him in the team were dreadful:-

Nolan started 18 regular season league games...

Played 18
Won 7
Drawn 4
Lost 7
Points 25
GD -1

And the 28 regular season league games where Nolan didn't start...

Played 28
Won 15
Drawn 10
Lost 3
Points 55
GD +38

For such a "great" player the stats seem to suggest that as a team we were a hell of a lot worse with him in midfield than without him. No great loss in my opinion.

I think it's unfair to compare stats in games with Conor Townsend to games where he didn't play as I think it's universally agreed that he had a huge effect on our performances and results.

With Conor was played 9, won 7, drew 1, lost 1. So 22 points. Which means games without Conor and without Nolan would read:
Played 19, won 8, drawn 9, lost 2. Points haul of 33. Which isn't hugely different to games with Nolan. The difference in the main was the horrible form at the end of the league season but that was down to players losing form, not solely from having Nolan in the team.

He's undoubtedly a loss in my opinion but not irreplaceable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 134
Tommy
May 25, 2016, 7:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from mariner91

I think it's unfair to compare stats in games with Conor Townsend to games where he didn't play as I think it's universally agreed that he had a huge effect on our performances and results.

With Conor was played 9, won 7, drew 1, lost 1. So 22 points. Which means games without Conor and without Nolan would read:
Played 19, won 8, drawn 9, lost 2. Points haul of 33. Which isn't hugely different to games with Nolan. The difference in the main was the horrible form at the end of the league season but that was down to players losing form, not solely from having Nolan in the team.

This.

The team took their foot off the pedal a bit towards the end when we were pretty sure of a play off place but not in the title race and that had an impact on our form at the end, just like it did for FGR.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 134
MarinerMal
May 25, 2016, 8:00am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from mariner91

If a full back has far more impact on the team than the midfielder then how effective was the midfielder?

Nolan was neat and tidy which caught the eye at this level as we haven't seen it that often in recent years. However, his positional sense, defensively, left us open many times. Some say that's because he was an offensive player but I don't remember him opening up defenses too often in games where teams came to defend and hopefully nick a goal. In those type of games he was more of a negative then a positive. You could see he was trying to improve his defensive side but often that would result in an poor desperate challenge and giving away a foul.

He did have a very good first touch and could often squeeze out of tight situations. He was excellent in the play-off final. For the play-off final alone, I wish him all the best with his next club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nolan to Chesterfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.