MarinerMal
May 25, 2016, 10:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
This thread is hilarious. Hurst signed Nolan and said he was someone he'd always tracked and when he became available, he swooped. He plays him in every game from that point, we win promotion and for me Nolan was the difference in midfield. Nolan is then cherry picked by a League 1 side and still people are saying he isn't all that. I suppose Hurst and the Chesterfield manager are not very savvy with signings then.  

This thread is hilarious because of how defensive people get about any criticism of Nolan.

Unless I missed some posts nobody has said Nolan was a bad player just not as good as some make out on here. His impact to the team was a lot more limited then some are making out.

He is clearly a good player but he needs the right system to get the best out of him. Chesterfield may have signed him but it will be interesting to see how he does at that level. I have my doubts but I wish him well.

He is also not irreplaceable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 134
BottesfordMariner
May 25, 2016, 10:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I thought most Town players offered contracts would accept them. The euphoria of promotion, playing a higher level, the ambition to push on with the club.

But when a higher league team like Chesterfield come in can you really blame a player for taking the opportunity? It is a blow to lose Nolan, he was one of our best players since he arrived. But for fans to have  go and call him for showing no loyalty here's  a news flash chaps..there is no loyalty in football....just ask Craig Clay or Gregor Robertson.

I would have been more gutted if he had simply gone to another League 2 club. Cant knock a lad for wanting to better himself.

I wish him good luck.

As has been said Hurst has a good reputation for picking up good players and i am hopeful he can  bring more into to club. No-one is irreplacable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 134
forza ivano
May 25, 2016, 10:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MarinerMal

This thread is hilarious because of how defensive people get about any criticism of Nolan.

Unless I missed some posts nobody has said Nolan was a bad player just not as good as some make out on here. His impact to the team was a lot more limited then some are making out.

He is clearly a good player but he needs the right system to get the best out of him. Chesterfield may have signed him but it will be interesting to see how he does at that level. I have my doubts but I wish him well.

i think the worry people have mal, is that it's taken hurst years to find another decent midfielder apart from disley and then he's gone 4 months after signing. I'm sure that hurst will have several other options lined up, but its just frustrating/disappointing to lose that breath of fresh air that nolan was so quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 134
MarinerMal
May 25, 2016, 10:52am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from forza ivano

i think the worry people have mal, is that it's taken hurst years to find another decent midfielder apart from disley and then he's gone 4 months after signing. I'm sure that hurst will have several other options lined up, but its just frustrating/disappointing to lose that breath of fresh air that nolan was so quickly

I think now we are back in the football league we will have more options available to us. So IMO it's not overly concerning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 134
ginnywings
May 25, 2016, 12:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MarinerMal

Not getting defensive. I just find it hilarious that two football league managers rate him yet some fans on a messageboard are saying that he will be no loss and we were at our worst when he was in the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 134
Mariner_09
May 25, 2016, 12:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Looked better in a three in midfield. I was thinkinh if we lost Podge that we'd play 4-3-3 with Omar as the loan front man with Arnold and another on the flanks as I think that role would suit Nath better. Then another athletic midfielder who can get box to box, all hypothetical and irrelevant now though but I thought it was an idea.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 134
rancido
May 25, 2016, 1:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,565
Gold Stars: 96
The signing of Nolan was mutually beneficial to both parties - he helped us get promoted and he had the opportunity to show what he can really do and consequently further his career. I don't get some of the criticism on here especially where loyalty is concerned. Nolans first and only concern should be about his life , his career and what he can achieve in what is a relatively short career. In the same way, most of the posters on this site would look at their earnings and long term potential in any job they did.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 134
dapperz fun pub
May 26, 2016, 9:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,912
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from rancido
The signing of Nolan was mutually beneficial to both parties - he helped us get promoted and he had the opportunity to show what he can really do and consequently further his career. I don't get some of the criticism on here especially where loyalty is concerned. Nolans first and only concern should be about his life , his career and what he can achieve in what is a relatively short career. In the same way, most of the posters on this site would look at their earnings and long term potential in any job they did.

Couldn't agree more however in a couple of years time I'd like to think the likes of chesterfield offering players better deals,/options than we can offer will be a thing of the past . For now fully understand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 134
1mickylyons
May 26, 2016, 10:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Couldn't agree more however in a couple of years time I'd like to think the likes of chesterfield offering players better deals,/options than we can offer will be a thing of the past . For now fully understand

Ah the sensible post....................
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 134
Maringer
May 26, 2016, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,477
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Unfortunately, that's going to be unlikely for as long as we're still based at Blundell Park.

Traditionally, we've been a better-supported club than Chesterfield but in the past six years since they got their new stadium, they've had an average attendance of well over 6,000 most of the time (around 5,500 in one season).

We've not had an average attendance over 5,000 for a decade and the last season we had an average over 6,000 was back in 2001/02 when we were in the Championship! (called Division 1 back then)

If we have a great season next year (fingers-crossed), I'd be surprised if we got an average attendance much over 5,000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 134
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nolan to Chesterfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.