Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bold Hurst to be congratulated
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Bold Hurst to be congratulated

This thread currently has 7,690 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
May 24, 2016, 10:21pm
Guest User
Whilst I am sure Paul Hurst is feeling pretty crap about the lads he has let go, he is to be congratulated.

It's a tough job but someone's got to do it. On the whole I feel that he has called it spot on. The players released have given their all and have all contributed to the success this season. There won't be a single fan that isn't grateful for their hard work and efforts.

But we now have to move on again and push for promotion to League 1. So Paul has to be ruthless and frank in his squad selection. He has made his intentions clear from the off with this wholesale review of personnel.

I now look forward to seeing contracts signed by those offered new deals. I sincerely hope that they all want to continue the journey with Grimsby. I also look forward to seeing which new players Paul acquires in the summer.
KingstonMariner
May 24, 2016, 10:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I find myself agreeing 100% with you again Ascend. The World turned upside down  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 52
Swansea_Mariner
May 24, 2016, 10:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
100% agree very brave and its good to see that we don't appear to be setting up to just make up the numbers but will give it a real go next year! Exciting times to be a Town fan.

Well done Paul.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 24, 2016, 10:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I don't think it is brave or bold but it certainly must have hurt. The manager has built up a squad that bonded so well and proved loyal to him that letting players go is a big personal ask.

Professionally though it is just common sense. He knows what is needed and he knows what he had in the squad wasn't good enough so hard decisions had to be made. That's not brave, it is though the best piece of management I have seen from him in the last 4 years. He seems to have grown up. The easy way is to keep your mates and then try and plug the gaps when it goes wrong. The football way is to tell them the truth. That's what he's done and he's done it well.

Now it's part two. Secure the players who can offer L2 standard.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 52
Grim74
May 24, 2016, 11:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Il congratulate him at the end of next season if we are still a league 2 club.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 52
arryarryarry
May 24, 2016, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 120790
Whilst I am sure Paul Hurst is feeling pretty crap about the lads he has let go, he is to be congratulated.

It's a tough job but someone's got to do it. On the whole I feel that he has called it spot on. The players released have given their all and have all contributed to the success this season. There won't be a single fan that isn't grateful for their hard work and efforts.

But we now have to move on again and push for promotion to League 1. So Paul has to be ruthless and frank in his squad selection. He has made his intentions clear from the off with this wholesale review of personnel.

I now look forward to seeing contracts signed by those offered new deals. I sincerely hope that they all want to continue the journey with Grimsby. I also look forward to seeing which new players Paul acquires in the summer.

Erm, isn't this what just about every other manager in the country does at this time of year?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 52
Grim74
May 24, 2016, 11:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, isn't this what just about every other manager in the country does at this time of year?

Exactly!! People want to male masturbation him off for doing his job.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 52
Rik e B
May 24, 2016, 11:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Whilst i kind of agree and think he just about spot on we won't be so congratulatory if due to wholesale changes the new boys fail to gel or bond! Doubt that very much but just saying before we get too carried away.

It must have been so hard for Hursty but it's a ruthless business and he sounds hungry for success -instant success. He must have been fixated on players just out of reach for years so frustrated they wouldnt come and now they are all available to him with agents tripping over calling him!

He's been left with gaping holes (elusive target man, low grade loanees to try and plug things) and now he can finally pad the squad exactly as he wants.

We might see the true Hurst style now he's not missing pieces of his jigsaw.

As a side note; I wonder if any of those offered terms feel a bit miffed that the squad ripped up and questioning their own loyalties? However usually the gaffer points out his targets though to whet their appetites.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 52
davmariner
May 24, 2016, 11:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Very disappointed he didn't given Clay another year. Felt he deserved it, especially with Nolan leaving.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 52
KingstonMariner
May 24, 2016, 11:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Grim74

Exactly!! People want to male masturbation him off for doing his job.

Nah. I've been one of the man's biggest critics on here. The easy (but in the long term less successful) option would be to keep most of the squad together. Hurst is taking risk, but the right call to make.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 52
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bold Hurst to be congratulated

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.