Ipswin
May 25, 2016, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yeah, just like how Amond, Tait, Horwood, Robertson, Nolan, Arnold and Amond weren't good enough last season having been released and deemed not good enough by their previous clubs.

I wouldn't list Horwood or Robertson as successes and did he sign two Amonds?   (wish he had!)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
Rik e B
May 25, 2016, 11:49am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
You are one negative fecker Ipswin.   surely a huge amount of players signed at lower league clubs have been binned off elsewhere but there's plenty of say Steve Mildenhall's to be had. And who's to say that every player we sign will have been deemed a failure and who gives a hoot if they do the business in a Town shirt? Surely that shows one of Hurst's strong points polishing rough diamonds so to speak?

And Hursts full time signings by and large have worked, every single signing by every single manager is something of a gamble -you just don't know if the face is going to fit. I'd put some of the shocking mid season loans down to having to scrape the barrel and there should be a lot more options available to the gaffer now we Football League.

Robertson etc all a success as we lost a final on penalties having the best team last year and went one step further winning the thing this.

I'm pretty sure if we got back to Championship you'd still have a bone to pick with Fenty or something such is your outlook which I bet will never change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
ackomariner
May 25, 2016, 11:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Time will tell. Lets hope he has already lined up some players as did Chesterfield with Nolan.

Also hope that all of the players offered were given 2 year deals, except Disley who does not have 2 seasons left in him.

Some lads at work are saying that now in league 2, the minimum contract allowed is 2 year deal.

Don't know if that's right or not.....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
supertown
May 25, 2016, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from ackomariner

Some lads at work are saying that now in league 2, the minimum contract allowed is 2 year deal.

Don't know if that's right or not.....

It's not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
diehardmariner
May 25, 2016, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,423
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Ipswin

I wouldn't list Horwood or Robertson as successes and did he sign two Amonds?   (wish he had!)

Wouldn't you?  I would say Robertson was excellent, exactly what we needed after Aswad Thomas.  Horwood was vastly underrated in my opinion.  Offered an attacking outlet, not to the level of Townsend but that's an unrealistic expectation, down that left flank and was generally very steady.

It depends on your definition of success.  I would class a success as someone who is an improvement on the guy before them.  By that definition Horwood wouldn't be a success as he followed Townsend but I think we can put that down as an anomaly.  We would have had to signed a world beat to improve there.  

Oh for two Amonds.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
The Yard Dog
May 25, 2016, 12:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Don't particularly think he's being bold. Out of that list of departures, only Robertson, East and Clay were serious contenders to be kept on anyway, and by the sounds of East's Tweet, he was possibly offered a 'squad cover' role which he turned down.

[/b]Bold would have been not offering another deal to someone like Dis who is coming towards the end of his career[b].

Could Disley end up on the coaching staff in the near future?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
MuddyWaters
May 25, 2016, 12:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Could Disley end up on the coaching staff in the near future?

Possibly a very good shout. I think Dis has been great for the club but have serious reservations about him being the fulcrum around which we base our midfield next season.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
ginnywings
May 25, 2016, 12:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Perhaps Hurst didn't bin Monkhouse. Someone on here said a while back that he was retiring?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Mrs Doyle
May 25, 2016, 1:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Robertson was solid and usually reliable ten times better than Thomas the only fault he had was lack of pace. Be nice to have a couple of pacey men on that flank who could work the flank and give us another outlet with Tait (if he signs) and Arnold on the other flank.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
Caesar
May 25, 2016, 1:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Even on Footie manager when I got Town up I couldn't be as bold as Hurst so I agree he is showing his metal and must be tough for him as someone who has formed a bond with this group to be so strong in doing what is best for us as a club.  

I am kind of concerned by the number we let go I would of liked more of a core to build around I think but ultimately I think the areas Hurst excels in it is summer recruitment, getting a strong squad and a group of committed players, so will trust what he is doing and how he is going about it, e knows far better than I what players are out there and what they can do for us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bold Hurst to be congratulated

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.