Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: flash1, February 11, 2013, 3:56pm
Just spoke to Nuneatons club secretary and he,s told me theres a pitch inspection between 9 and 10 in the morning but he did say he,s 99% sure it,ll be off
Posted by: Sconeboy, February 11, 2013, 3:57pm; Reply: 1
Didn't even think it would be in doubt  :-/
Posted by: davmariner, February 11, 2013, 4:00pm; Reply: 2
Don't see why it should... there has been a bit of snow but there isn't anymore forecast. Clear the snow off the pitch and there shouldn't be a problem.
Posted by: flash1, February 11, 2013, 4:03pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from davmariner
Don't see why it should... there has been a bit of snow but there isn't anymore forecast. Clear the snow off the pitch and there shouldn't be a problem.

apparently it has a lot of water on it
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 11, 2013, 4:05pm; Reply: 4
Bloody tinpot non-league clubs!!!
Posted by: davmariner, February 11, 2013, 4:23pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from flash1
Just spoke to Nuneatons club secretary and he,s told me theres a pitch inspection between 9 and 10 in the morning but he did say he,s 99% sure it,ll be off

Very annoyed if that's been said. There's a lot that can be done to the pitch 27 hours before a game and it's ridiculous that the club are already saying that the game will probably be off given that there is no more snow or rain forecast. We cannot afford to have anymore postponements.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 11, 2013, 4:37pm; Reply: 6
Good, no injuries, fresher legs, all for dartford game
Posted by: Sconeboy, February 11, 2013, 4:39pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Just gonna clog our fixture backlog up more though mate!
Posted by: davmariner, February 11, 2013, 4:44pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

You won't be saying that when we'll be having to play 3 games in one week.
Posted by: brigg_mariner, February 11, 2013, 4:45pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

intercourse the Dartford game, League games take priority in my opinion, and we really don't want a back log, it already looks quite a squeeze of games.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2013, 5:44pm; Reply: 10
I don't understand why it would have lots of excess water on the pitch - I spent the whole weekend in Coventry and Nuneaton and it hardly rained at all!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2013, 5:49pm; Reply: 11
Yet another match at Gateshead called off - their game against Kidderminster tomorrow has been postponed after the pitch was deemed unplayable! Something needs to be done its getting beyond a joke!
Posted by: Super Clive, February 11, 2013, 5:50pm; Reply: 12
Tossers.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 11, 2013, 5:54pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Super Clive
Tossers.

They could have been useful seeing as though it's Pancake Day tomorrow  ;)
Posted by: oldun, February 11, 2013, 5:55pm; Reply: 14
Nuneaton inspection now on OS
Posted by: mariner2000, February 11, 2013, 6:09pm; Reply: 15
This is ridiculous the weather in this part of the country is no where near as bad as those seen on the news.  A postponement would be nonsense,
Posted by: laitey, February 11, 2013, 6:12pm; Reply: 16
flipping TOSSPOTS HATE THIS LEAGUE
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 11, 2013, 6:13pm; Reply: 17
Town should send a representative down to ensure the decision is unbiased. Im not saying nuneaton would want us to have a backlog of games which could effect our promotion push but you never know. ;)
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2013, 6:20pm; Reply: 18
Based in Leicester and it really isn't that wet. Its not right on the door step but I doubt the conditions are that different 20 miles away.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2013, 6:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Tinymariner
Town should send a representative down to ensure the decision is unbiased. Im not saying nuneaton would want us to have a backlog of games which could effect our promotion push but you never know. ;)

I doubt they would want a backlog that would affect their relegation battle!
Posted by: tashee69, February 11, 2013, 6:32pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I doubt they would want a backlog that would affect their relegation battle!

They have league matches on the next 2 Saturdays, we don't. We have to fit those fixtures in. I can't see Nuneaton maybe having to play a Sat, Tues, Thurs, Sat one week.
Posted by: GodHelpUs, February 11, 2013, 6:41pm; Reply: 21
Oh for God's sake...treat them with a bit of respect! So they're not as big as us, they probably have a couple of pitchforks rather than a vertidrainer or whatever it's called. So what?  They no more want the game off than you lot do. Idiots!!!
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 11, 2013, 7:35pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GodHelpUs
Oh for God's sake...treat them with a bit of respect! So they're not as big as us, they probably have a couple of pitchforks rather than a vertidrainer or whatever it's called. So what?  They no more want the game off than you lot do. Idiots!!!

Please don't resort to calling me an idiot! I do not appreciate it and I am far from an idiot.
Mansfield had their game against us called off, which coincided with them playing Liverpool a few days later. Clubs will do whatever they can in the interest of their team. I certainly wouldn't put it past any team regardless of size.
Posted by: laitey, February 11, 2013, 7:37pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Tinymariner

Please don't resort to calling me an idiot! I do not appreciate it and I am far from an idiot.
Mansfield had their game against us called off, which coincided with them playing Liverpool a few days later. Clubs will do whatever they can in the interest of their team. I certainly wouldn't put it past any team regardless of size.

WHS
Posted by: moosey_club, February 11, 2013, 7:45pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Tinymariner

How would that work then? Lol
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 11, 2013, 7:50pm; Reply: 25
Erm, down to the ref isn't it?
Posted by: davmariner, February 11, 2013, 7:55pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Erm, down to the ref isn't it?

If they haven't been arsed to clear the snow off the pitch and it melts then the ref has no choice but to call it off due to a waterlogged pitch. Sounds bad but wouldn't surprise me if Nuneaton have looked at our fixture list and seen that we've a potential pile-up so would be more than happy to have it rescheduled at a busy time for us...
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 11, 2013, 7:57pm; Reply: 27
I apprichiate that Wembley fever is hitting people, but surely the bread and butter of the league is much more important than this mickey mouse cup!?!
Posted by: Sconeboy, February 11, 2013, 8:27pm; Reply: 28
Not to the big day out fans its not.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 11, 2013, 8:46pm; Reply: 29
Why can't they play? Which is less safe for the players, playing on a wet pitch or cramming in 3-4 games a week? Refs should be instructed to err on the side of playability if there's any doubt.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2013, 9:37pm; Reply: 30
We've had the wettest year on record. The water table is so high that the wet stuff has nowhere to go. We are lucky at BP that the soil is sandy and drains well, consequently we don't have many postponements. Other teams don't have as good a pitch as we do.

Gateshead for instance.

I can't see why Nuneaton wouldn't want the game to go ahead.
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2013, 9:54pm; Reply: 31
I've read some f@cking tripe on The Fishy over the years, but this thread must go down as something of an archetype. Jeez. The weather is the weather and Nuneaton's pitch and facilities are what they are (to borrow a favourite phrase from Rob Scott). There's f@ck all they (or anyone else) can do about it. To read some of the posts on this thread you'd think there was some sort of conspiracy against us in terms of calling games off unnecessarily. What are some people thinking?! A decision to go ahead with the fixture is based solely on the assessment of the match referee - about as unbiased an opinion as there is. Send a representative down to make sure it's not a con?! Flippin' eck. I know we'll all be disappointed if the game is off and the rearranged fixtures pile up, but that's football. Some folk need to engage their brains before they post knee-jerk nonsense.
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 11, 2013, 10:14pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from chaos33
I've read some f@cking tripe on The Fishy over the years, but this thread must go down as something of an archetype. Jeez. The weather is the weather and Nuneaton's pitch and facilities are what they are (to borrow a favourite phrase from Rob Scott). There's f@ck all they (or anyone else) can do about it. To read some of the posts on this thread you'd think there was some sort of conspiracy against us in terms of calling games off unnecessarily. What are some people thinking?! A decision to go ahead with the fixture is based solely on the assessment of the match referee - about as unbiased an opinion as there is. Send a representative down to make sure it's not a con?! Flippin' eck. I know we'll all be disappointed if the game is off and the rearranged fixtures pile up, but that's football. Some folk need to engage their brains before they post knee-jerk nonsense.

Some folk need to realise that we all have opinions and not to take things too seriously. FFS
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2013, 10:19pm; Reply: 33
Its not about opinions in this case though is it. Getting irate at the weather, having a go at a football club and their pitch as though they could somehow control this is irrational. I know conspiracy theories are popular but come on. They've had a lot of bad weather. Their pitch is waterlogged. The game might be in doubt. Let's just deal with that.
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 11, 2013, 10:23pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from chaos33
Its not about opinions in this case is it. Getting irate at the weather and having a go at a football club and their pitch, as though they could somehow control this is irrational.

I'm not irate, just saying my view. That is all.
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2013, 10:24pm; Reply: 35
I didn't specify you did I? What is your view?
Posted by: Alfie, February 11, 2013, 10:26pm; Reply: 36
[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111002053618/simpsons/images/b/b1/Hi.jpg[/img]

Boo. Fenty out.
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2013, 10:30pm; Reply: 37
:)
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 11, 2013, 10:32pm; Reply: 38
People believe that there are no cheats and bribes in football, I am not so naive to believe this. Nuneaton may want this game to go ahead as much as us but I wouldn't put it past any team to avoid a game to benefit themselves. Playing us later when we have to play 4 games in a week, for instance, would not be in our best interest but may be in the other clubs.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 11, 2013, 10:36pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33
Its not about opinions in this case though is it. Getting irate at the weather, having a go at a football club and their pitch as though they could somehow control this is irrational. I know conspiracy theories are popular but come on. They've had a lot of bad weather. Their pitch is waterlogged. The game might be in doubt. Let's just deal with that.

The Pope has resigned over this.......i think something got lost in translation though as the message he reacted to was...     Nuns eaten in pitch battle   ??)
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 11, 2013, 10:40pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from moosey_club

The Pope has resigned over this.......i think something got lost in translation though as the message he reacted to was...     Nuns eaten in pitch battle   ??)

;D
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2013, 10:47pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from moosey_club

:)
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2013, 10:51pm; Reply: 42
"People believe that there are no cheats and bribes in football, I am not so naive to believe this. Nuneaton may want this game to go ahead as much as us but I wouldn't put it past any team to avoid a game to benefit themselves. Playing us later when we have to play 4 games in a week, for instance, would not be in our best interest but may be in the other clubs."

I'm sure there are cheats and bribes in football - I agree with you, but where does tomorrow's referee fit into this? He's the only person who can make the decision on the game going ahead? Are you ready to believe that Nuneaton have corrupted him and offered him some sort of incentive to pretend that the pitch isn't playable, just so they can play the fixture later in the season when they might (and might not) theoretically have a slightly improved chance of getting a better result?!

Posted by: LongEatonMariner, February 11, 2013, 10:53pm; Reply: 43
I assume those claiming subterfuge are more about ground staff failing to try to remove water, more than refs with iffy scruples.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 11, 2013, 10:55pm; Reply: 44
People should've probably seen the rain in the Midlands yesterday, I drove past Nuneaton and it was almost undriveable. It was absolutely pissing down, i'm not so sure if we had rain like that even we would've got a game on.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 11, 2013, 10:56pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
I assume those claiming subterfuge ate more about ground staff failing to try to remove water, more than refs with iffy scruples.

Didnt we have him up front once upon a time?
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2013, 10:59pm; Reply: 46
Surely a lack of effort on this matter from groundstaff would be absolutely obvious to the match officials who would report any suspicions they might have.

Blimey, I know we want to play and win the game, but can't people just accept that just because the weather isn't too bad where they live that other regions might be suffering more, meaning that, occasionally, games will be called off due to waterlogged or frozen pitches? Nobody here has any shred of evidence to suggest that Nuneaton may be deliberately trying to get this game postponed (even if that was somehow possible to deliberately influence). I remember some said the same about the Gateshead fixture. Some strategy that turned out to be.
Posted by: EY Mariner, February 11, 2013, 11:42pm; Reply: 47
Surely if our game is in doubt, then others will be as well with the weather as it has been. Given King's Lynn's game at Romulus (Sutton Coldfield) on a supposedly all-weather pitch was called off this evening, then I certainly don't expect us to be playing tomorrow.
Posted by: supertown, February 11, 2013, 11:45pm; Reply: 48
Whilst I dont doubt what the OP has been told. I cannot understand why there is no mention on their website if it is in danger and a pitch inspection is planned.
Posted by: chicaneuk, February 12, 2013, 8:45am; Reply: 49
No more snow overnight here but it's pretty damn cold.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the pitch is flooded / frozen!
Posted by: dunc90, February 12, 2013, 9:09am; Reply: 50
game off according to official twitter
Posted by: chicaneuk, February 12, 2013, 9:10am; Reply: 51
Balls... :(
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 12, 2013, 9:12am; Reply: 52
Can't find anything on twitter
Posted by: davmariner, February 12, 2013, 9:12am; Reply: 53
Yes, game off. Very disappointed. Ref that called it off was Stuart Attwell apparently.
Posted by: dunc90, February 12, 2013, 9:13am; Reply: 54
its on the os aswell, very disappointed
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 10:54am