Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2014, 5:22pm
After the Lord Mayors show.........

What a struggle that was after being in control at half time. We didn't play that well but we'd got 2 goals, they looked to have nothing and we had effectively put them to bed by half time.

Somewhere in the break, we gave them a nice wake up call, with a cup of tea and a bacon butty thrown in. We didn't start second half and they pinned us back from the off and again a team scored against us from outside the area, which is happening a lot.

Thought they were the better side after that and i couldn't have argued if they got a replay. We had chances to wrap it up but once again, the strikers didn't look like scoring. I hope the new striker is a straight replacement for LJL because as some strikers come alive in the box, he nods off.

Poor performance and a very boring game yet again.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 11, 2014, 5:28pm; Reply: 1
Just as the radio called it.Ok first half, let them play the second and edge it, Southall and LJL in particular sounded dozy. It's weird, you'd think some of these players would run their socks off in a game like this when given a chance.

Couldn't imagine us losing this but still not fussed about being in it. Hope we can get winning these games in hand, starting at FGR.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 11, 2014, 5:28pm; Reply: 2
Agree with above! But we won
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 11, 2014, 5:31pm; Reply: 3
Hurst has confirmed his interest in Fyfield.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, January 11, 2014, 5:31pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from RoboCod
Just as the radio called it.Ok first half, let them play the second and edge it, Southall and LJL in particular sounded dozy. It's weird, you'd think some of these players would run their socks off in a game like this when given a chance.

Couldn't imagine us losing this but still not fussed about being in it. Hope we can get winning these games in hand, starting at FGR.

I just think it's human nature. It's not really a conscious decision, you just play against a side you're expected to beat and it's difficult to do your best. We saw a few of the players raise their game dramatically against Huddersfield and it's the same thing in reverse. Just glad that we did enough, hopefully we'll see a step up in quality on Tuesday.
Posted by: Ruston AT, January 11, 2014, 5:35pm; Reply: 5
That was maidenheads wembley/giant killing we did a job just , but just is enough. Let's move on and see FGR off!
Posted by: hook line and sinker, January 11, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 6
A wins a win but-

1st half was brilliant,should easily of been 3 or 4 goals clear after half hour. Second half was poor created enough chances to score 3 or 4 again but was wasteful up top.Too me today highlighted why we never really hammer a team scoreline wise. OUR STRIKERS CANT SCORE GOALS (ross excluded), the last time we convincingly beat a team was 5-1 (H) against woking nov 2012. Dont get me wrong as long as we win i dont care but when you create as many chances as we did today and only score 2 goals especially at home it is worrying and could cost us in the long run trying too get out of this league.I'm glad a striker is our main target for the january window, we do really need to get it right though and he needs to be scoring from the off. This isnt a dig at the rest of the squad all the other lads today played well just up top we are lacking.
  Hannah and the Shop are good assets and play well together, even though lenny doesnt bag often he does his job well,cooky and southwell today had the opportunity to stake a claim in the side and a good striker would of had at least a brace against this poor maidenhead side.UTM
Posted by: oldun, January 11, 2014, 6:05pm; Reply: 7
Not great to watch today. Deserved to be in the lead at half time. Should have had more but they got bodies in the way. Second half they caught us out as they began to get more people forward. Deserved their goal and looked likely to draw level and forced several corners. We seemed incapable of raising our game and putting them on the back foot. We still had chances but our strikers seem to want too many touches and did not get good connections when shooting. They just need to put their foot through the ball cleanly and find the net. I notice they don't even do this clinically in the pre-match shooting practice, the number of times they scuff it or mishit it is worrying. However we escaped a banana skin and also avoided a replay which we certainly did not want. We are in the gat and let's hope for another home tie.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 11, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 8
Southwells movement and lack of instinct stands out a mile in games like that, Colbeck fired in some lovely crosses in the first half but Southwell nowhere near any of them.
Should have been 4 up by half time despite a slow start, i think Pearsons goal came at a bad time for us ironically as the players just took that as a signal the game was won and all must have had 40 winks at half time.

We are through and this game will soon be erased from our memories.....unlike Lincoln hahaha.

Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 9
Thought our defence and midfield did OK, but we should have had six today in the first half, their keeper had a decent game and the defence put block tackies in when it mattered.
We missed our first team players and although we won,  it shows how threadbare our replacements are especially up front, Southwell huffed and puffed but is not Conference Premier level and a poor substitute for Hannah, the result was right but the performance second half was lazy
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 11, 2014, 6:29pm; Reply: 10
Definite game of 2 halves. It was a bit of a mis-match in the first half as we were far, far superior and could have had 5 or 6 but fair play to them in the 2nd half, they came out and gave it a real go and could have snatched an equaliser.

Alex Rodman our best player today.
Posted by: Belfast Town, January 11, 2014, 6:43pm; Reply: 11
I have to say I quite enjoyed it, particularly the first half.
Posted by: Alfie, January 11, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin
Definite game of 2 halves. It was a bit of a mis-match in the first half as we were far, far superior and could have had 5 or 6 but fair play to them in the 2nd half, they came out and gave it a real go and could have snatched an equaliser.

Sums it up for me.

Pretty rubbish game. Cold. Made even worse by a load of deadhead Pontoon riff-raff in the Upper.
Posted by: Simariner, January 11, 2014, 7:22pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

Andi Thanoj for me Les
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 11, 2014, 7:29pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Simariner

Andi Thanoj for me Les

Maybe, if he hadn't fannied around with the ball and gave them their goal Si.
Posted by: barralad, January 11, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Alfie

Sums it up for me.

Pretty rubbish game. Cold. Made even worse by a load of deadhead Pontoon riff-raff in the Upper.

Sorry!! I'll go in the Main Stand next time.. :B
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 11, 2014, 8:03pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Alfie

Sums it up for me.

How very dare you ;)
We were just trying to enjoy the game and singing to put some life into an otherwise mute Findus stand. I am far from a 'deadhead' too.UTM
Posted by: Garth, January 11, 2014, 9:17pm; Reply: 17
Rodman was my MOM today he was in cracking form, Joe Colbeck was Hurst pick?
Posted by: oldun, January 12, 2014, 9:00am; Reply: 18
Rodman had a good game, but I thought there was more end product from Joe's play
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, January 12, 2014, 9:07am; Reply: 19
Once LJL went off, and was replaced by Cook, we lost our shape, and never looked like scoring again.  In the second half, Town must have heard that Maidenhead was playing a gay striker, as it was definitely a case of "BACKS AGAINST THE WALL BOYS"
Posted by: Garth, January 12, 2014, 10:38am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Once LJL went off, and was replaced by Cook, we lost our shape, and never looked like scoring again.  In the second half, Town must have heard that Maidenhead was playing a gay striker, as it was definitely a case of "BACKS AGAINST THE WALL BOYS"

Are you insinuating that when the pressures on our lads can`t take it?
Posted by: rancido, January 12, 2014, 4:28pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from moosey_club
Southwells movement and lack of instinct stands out a mile in games like that, Colbeck fired in some lovely crosses in the first half but Southwell nowhere near any of them.
Should have been 4 up by half time despite a slow start, i think Pearsons goal came at a bad time for us ironically as the players just took that as a signal the game was won and all must have had 40 winks at half time.

We are through and this game will soon be erased from our memories.....unlike Lincoln hahaha.

Possibly because Colbecks end product is usually sadly lacking and the forwards  weren't expecting them. ;)
Posted by: barralad, January 12, 2014, 7:58pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from rancido

Possibly because Colbecks end product is usually sadly lacking and the forwards  weren't expecting them. ;)

THIS:-
Posted by: codcheeky, January 12, 2014, 8:31pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from rancido

A decent forward should always put himself in the right position for a good cross even if 9 out of 10 are crap, to blame Colbeck for others failings is wrong
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 12, 2014, 8:50pm; Reply: 24
Six of one and half a dozen of the other

When it comes off  (such as Hannah stepping up to the mark last week) it's great for scoring opportunities but if the correct cross doesn't come in it must frustrate the striker in the box making pointless runs

Then again Lineker always made sure he did the run just in case and he wasn't a half bad striker and goalscorer in his day
Posted by: MaidenheadMark, January 13, 2014, 12:13pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

Ah, what might have been :-/ . We were poor first half, looked a bit scared of you TBH, and were perhaps lucky to be only 2 down at the break (though the one time Danny Green tested your keeper it needed a good stop to keep it out). If we could have played all 90 minutes like we did the 2nd half...

Counting our blessings, we were at least at the right end of the ground to see most of the action close to!

Had a great day out (never mind the result), thank you Grimsby Town. Good luck for the rest of the season  8)
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 13, 2014, 12:43pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from MaidenheadMark

Ah, what might have been :-/ . We were poor first half, looked a bit scared of you TBH, and were perhaps lucky to be only 2 down at the break (though the one time Danny Green tested your keeper it needed a good stop to keep it out). If we could have played all 90 minutes like we did the 2nd half...

Counting our blessings, we were at least at the right end of the ground to see most of the action close to!

Had a great day out (never mind the result), thank you Grimsby Town. Good luck for the rest of the season  8)

Glad you enjoyed the day mate. Good luck to Maidenhead too, if you play like you did in the 2nd half on Saturday you'll soon be storming up that league.
Posted by: Garth, January 13, 2014, 1:06pm; Reply: 27

Hmmm! if you had beaten us,  you might easily have won your home tie and made the semi`s, better luck next year
Posted by: MaidenheadMark, January 13, 2014, 1:31pm; Reply: 28
Cheers guys.

This season's Trophy draw has been brilliant for us travelling fans.  4 away ties, 3 seaside trips (to South, West and East coasts) and 3 grounds we have never been to before.  Won't forget this one in a hurry.

Now to get our league season back on the rails... In 4 months I feel I've aged 4 years as we slid from playoff hopefuls in September to relegation hopelesses by Christmas.
Posted by: oldun, January 13, 2014, 2:18pm; Reply: 29
Cheers guys.

This season's Trophy draw has been brilliant for us travelling fans.  4 away ties, 3 seaside trips (to South, West and East coasts) and 3 grounds we have never been to before.  Won't forget this one in a hurry.

Now to get our league season back on the rails... In 4 months I feel I've aged 4 years as we slid from playoff hopefuls in September to relegation hopelesses by Christmas.

You must take heart from your second half showing, the goal seemed to give the team belief and it was a nervy uncomfortable 45 mins for us, although we were never at our best. Your manager must have said go out and give it a real go in the second half and it so nearly got you a replay at least. Best of luck for the rest of the season. By the way I liked the look of your number 7
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 13, 2014, 2:24pm; Reply: 30
[quote=618]Definite game of 2 halves. It was a bit of a mis-match in the first half as we were far, far superior and could have had 5 or 6 but fair play to them in the 2nd half, they came out and gave it a real go and could have snatched an equaliser.

Alex Rodman our best player today.[/quote]

Bloody hell i misss a game and rodders has a decent one , still wont believe it cos i didnt see it

UTM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 13, 2014, 6:20pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from highcliff mariner
[quote=618]Definite game of 2 halves. It was a bit of a mis-match in the first half as we were far, far superior and could have had 5 or 6 but fair play to them in the 2nd half, they came out and gave it a real go and could have snatched an equaliser.

Alex Rodman our best player today.[/quote]

Bloody hell i misss a game and rodders has a decent one , still wont believe it cos i didnt see it

UTM

If I remember correctly Rodman was being singled out on the commentary as not having done enough...but then again second half that could have been levelled against any number of our team (although credit where it's due...Aswad seemingly kept us in it with a goal-line clearance when JT was about to announce an equaliser)
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 8:32am