Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Belfast Town, April 18, 2014, 7:07pm
Really enjoyed that. Entertaining match. Town well on top, save for 10-15 minutes early in the second half. Town fans were fantastic.  Ross worked his socks off - delighted for him to get his hat-trick.  Roll on Monday.
Posted by: Alfie, April 18, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 1
A very decent attacking performance - the best we've looked going forward for bloody ages.

Hannah looked like the player we all fell in love with during his loan spell. Probably the best that LJL/Hannah combo has played all season.

It was also an exceptionally shoddy defensive display. All three goals looked preventable. We haven't looked the same defensively since we 'released' Miller and even now - with two games to go - it still looks like an unforgivable decision. Crackers.

Don't think any of the back-five have come out of today with any credit. Just don't look composed or steady at the back. Even for the last goal, McKeown should be busting his lungs to shout for that ball and clatter Thomas. Shambles.

All things considered with the embarrassing delay to the game, a point isn't horrendous in the grand scheme of things but the game was there for the taking. So many snatched-at chances when we were leading to go on and extend our lead.

I'd have a serious look at Akinde in the summer.

How did Kempson stay on the field?

Hats off to the 1200-1400 Grimsby Town fans who made the journey - an absolute credit to the club today. Sensational support.

Think we'll stumble into the play-offs with one of Gateshead or Braintree dropping points on Monday and after that it's a complete lottery but if we don't make it, we only have ourselves to blame.
Posted by: meggietown, April 18, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 2
Thought wood was lucky to stay on as well blatant double handed save an wish they would of shown his goal line clearance first half looked a good foot over line
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 18, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 3
How many goals has Thomas given away this season with own goals and silly mistakes like today, ?

He could not have placed that ball better if he was playing for them,

If you can not clear the ball the last thing you do is put it across your own penalty area.

I hope he moves on in the summer.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, April 18, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 4
Good post. Amazed that kempson didn't see red for his professional foul or even second yellow for shirt pulling, surely wud have ended the game for them at that point?
Also, shocked we didn't use 3 subs for fresh legs. Thought we had far more chances than them, tv coverage seemed very pro home side.  Their keeper made a great save plus we hit bar.  Did Pearson win ball for their pen?
Posted by: davmariner, April 18, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 5
Thought Macca should have done better for their second but no one is really talking about that one. He tried catching it when he should have pushed it out for a corner.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 18, 2014, 7:32pm; Reply: 6
It seems like we've wasted 3 points, im glad we scored 3 goals though, all I'll say is when the fixture list came out, my dad looked at braintree on the list day and said "oh no! knowing town it'll come down to needing a win at braintree away on the last day!" and well well well....when all town need to do, is beat the worst team ever to grace the conference, at HOME.............don't know about anyone else but OH MY GOD  ??)

My main complaint is bloody BBC uselesside, Just got back in the country from east midlands, unfortunately flight landed a bit too late for me to get to the start of the game, but if i'd have known about the delay quicker probably could've got there for half time. But ended up listening on the radio. ANYWAY, I can bear with prioritising scunthorpe over us, theyre in a higher league, whatever, I can grit my teeth when they decide to moan about the game till half time, and through half time at the town game, giving very little updates from the town point of view. Thought the whole time, at half time,they'll switch over to the town game. Which they did BUT, after maybe 10 minutes, went back to bloody moaning about scunthorpes amazing exciting 1-1 draw at morcambe, did interviews with players that seemed to go on for absolutely forever, didn't inform us about towns 3rd goal, went back to town commentary for a bit, then with no warning whatsoever, cut to some bloody programme about world war 1 for the remainder of the match. I don't care if there was 3 old grandads who were sat at home waiting for the exciting radio program about world war 1 at home as if they aren't going to be talking about it all year, there was probably plenty of town fans who wanted to listen to the rest of what sounded like a great game of football, and what an opportunity for humberside to keep their listenership above 12 for an extra few minutes. But no, they hate town.

Sorry, made me mad, needed to get home and have my big rant. Anyway 3-3, ok, somehow managed to make a match against hyde edgy but thats this season, its gonna be a wierd end to the season.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 18, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
How many goals has Thomas given away this season with own goals and silly mistakes like today, ?

If you can not clear the ball the last thing you do is put it across your own penalty area.

It was almost literally the only place he had to avoid heading it to. Game was won and it seemed relatively comfortable. After that we were lucky to take a point (which would have been a travesty over the 90 minutes).

As for Kepson staying on - incredible!! Did anyone else think the two footed lunge through the back of LJL in the first few minutes was worth a little more than a ticking off??? I thought it was a straight red but almost nothing was made of it. He was still able to commit a professional foul and haul down Pearson for the penalty and still stay on the pitch.

One final thing, the booking LJL got was possibly the worst refereeing decision I've ever seen.
Posted by: PB, April 18, 2014, 7:44pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Alfie
A very decent attacking performance - the best we've looked going forward for bloody ages.

Hannah looked like the player we all fell in love with during his loan spell. Probably the best that LJL/Hannah combo has played all season.

It was also an exceptionally shoddy defensive display. All three goals looked preventable. We haven't looked the same defensively since we 'released' Miller and even now - with two games to go - it still looks like an unforgivable decision. Crackers.

Don't think any of the back-five have come out of today with any credit. Just don't look composed or steady at the back. Even for the last goal, McKeown should be busting his lungs to shout for that ball and clatter Thomas. Shambles.

All things considered with the embarrassing delay to the game, a point isn't horrendous in the grand scheme of things but the game was there for the taking. So many snatched-at chances when we were leading to go on and extend our lead.

Hats off to the 1200-1400 Grimsby Town fans who made the journey - an absolute credit to the club today. Sensational support.

Think we'll stumble into the play-offs with one of Gateshead or Braintree dropping points on Monday and after that it's a complete lottery but if we don't make it, we only have ourselves to blame.

Good summary. I would also ask why was Neilson largely missing for the first half, yet was chasing everything in the second half.
Also, when was the last game where the away support outnumbered the home one?!  

Posted by: Tommy, April 18, 2014, 7:44pm; Reply: 9
A decent Town performance marred by individual errors that cost us all 3 points.

Good going forward and in some spells played some good composed football.

Thomas got forward well down the left, Neilson was great on the right and Paddy was ok. Thanoj and Kerr did well in the middle although Thanoj went very quiet the more the 2nd half went on.

Hannah was nice and lively and pleasing to see any striker score a hattrick. Although 1 was a scuff and 1 a penalty. His second might well have been onside despite what BT sport guys said. Difficult to tell from the angle their camera was at.

Thanoj should've scored after that lovely move when Paddy flicked it into his path. Disley gets a lot of criticism on here but that was the type of chance Disley has been finishing for the last couple of years.

Alfreton's 1st goal was a good break from them but we we didn't react well to being unorganised when they broke.
We were well on top at the end of the 1st half and kept the ball well. Then 2nd half they started stronger.
Their penalty was a penalty. Stupid defending from Pearson who had his hands all over Akinde and then made a challenge and as soon ad he did you knew it was going to result in a foul.

Pearson did his best to make amends by winning a penalty after throwing Kempson a stepover and ambling into the box. After we got this 3rd goal we were well on top and looked likely to score again.

Then out of nothing an instinctive decision from Thomas to try and head the ball (don't know what the communication was like down there) and it ends up at their strikers feet to poke in.

Good performance. Just need to cut out the individual errors at the back now. Neilson MOM for me, best player on the pitch.
Posted by: chaos33, April 18, 2014, 7:51pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from meggietown
Thought wood was lucky to stay on as well blatant double handed save an wish they would of shown his goal line clearance first half looked a good foot over line

Exactly what I thought
Posted by: jonnyboy82, April 18, 2014, 7:52pm; Reply: 11
We could have easily lost it as much as we could have won it

Not overly impressed tbh especially with the defending.

Today we got aswad thomased again.

Great support.
Posted by: chaos33, April 18, 2014, 7:55pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Tommy
A decent Town performance marred by individual errors that cost us all 3 points.

Good going forward and in some spells played some good composed football.

Thomas got forward well down the left, Neilson was great on the right and Paddy was ok. Thanoj and Kerr did well in the middle although Thanoj went very quiet the more the 2nd half went on.

Hannah was nice and lively and pleasing to score any striker score a hattrick. Although 1 was a scuff and 1 a penalty. His second might well have been onside despite what BT sport guys said. Difficult to tell from the angle their camera was at.

Thanoj should've scored after that lovely move when Paddy flicked it into his path. Disley gets a lot of criticism on here but that was the type of chance Disley has been finishing for the last couple of years.

Alfreton's 1st goal was a good break from them but we we didn't react well to being unorganised when they broke.
We were well on top at the end of the 1st half and kept the ball well. Then 2nd half they started stronger.
Their penalty was a penalty. Stupid defending from Pearson who had his hands all over Akinde and then made a challenge and as soon ad he did you knew it was going to result in a foul.

Pearson did his best to make amends by winning a penalty after throwing Kempson a stepover and ambling into the box. After we got this 3rd goal we were well on top and looked likely to score again.

Then out of nothing an instinctive decision from Thomas to try and head the ball (don't know what the communication was like down there) and it ends up at their strikers feet to poke in.

Good performance. Just need to cut out the individual errors at the back now. Neilson MOM for me, best player on the pitch.

Good summary
Posted by: moosey_club, April 18, 2014, 7:59pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Tommy

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Neilson!!! He didnt do anything until the 61st minute other than give it away, you cant give MOM for a 30 min cameo surely?

Hannah with a hat trick for me or possibly Hatton for pretty steady performance at right back.
Kerr is going to cost us big time with his over playing of the ball, thought he was poor again today personally.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 18, 2014, 8:08pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from moosey_club

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Neilson!!! He didnt do anything until the 61st minute other than give it away, you cant give MOM for a 30 min cameo surely?

Hannah with a hat trick for me or possibly Hatton for pretty steady performance at right back.
Kerr is going to cost us big time with his over playing of the ball, thought he was poor again today personally.

I think it was a mixed bag for virtually every player. Agree regarding Neilson, he was terrible first half but looked a threat second half. There's a fine line between being composed on the ball and dallying, Kerr trod both sides of that line. Hannah scored all 3 so surely has to be MOM.
Posted by: BIGChris, April 18, 2014, 8:10pm; Reply: 15
I thought that when we got the ball down and played then we looked good. They had a spell at the start of the 2nd half but then the home team is always going to do so.

I agree totally with the poster above who thought Kempson could have got a straight red for the first half challenge through the back of LJL . That was a challenge from the 1970's, he then pulls Hannah back by the throat before giving away a penalty when Pearson heads towards goal. As an absolute minimum that is 3 yellows or 2 reds and a yellow (if you get my drift)

I haven't had the benefit of watching the tv or reading the other threads but we could have had a hat full. Their keeper made a great save from Hannah's header first half, Boyce looked very close to scoring, Paddy should have done so as should Noj. Pearson hit the bar and it must have been very close to the ball going in during the first half? YET they could argue they gave us 3 goals, what was their keeper doing for the first, twitter suggests the 2nd was offside (?) and a stupid foul from Kempson for the 3rd.

I hope we get the ball down and play with the same verve and attacking intent on Tuesday and we don't make unnecessary changes, If Ross is on the bench I will go mad! Hopefully Rodders should be fit by then.

Persons challenge was very silly and from the Town end looked a nailed on penalty, Thomas probably felt he had to stretch and try and get his head to the ball as he could reasonably expect a striker to be behind him. Communication?
Posted by: Tommy, April 18, 2014, 8:11pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from moosey_club

I thought he was doing ok but most of our play just went down the left, with Thomas getting in behind their full back a few times. He was still drifting into good positions and I didn't think he kept giving the ball away 1st half at all, but thats how people see a game differently I guess.

Good shout for Hatton though. He covered across when the centre-backs were beaten a couple of times - once when Akinde turned Boyce (I think) and was in on goal but for Hatton covering. It also helped Hatton having Neilson on his side showing/wanting the ball, as opposed to Colbeck hiding.
Posted by: Happy_Mariner, April 18, 2014, 8:11pm; Reply: 17
My thoughts having not been in a while.

Going forward we looked a real threat. Shop was excellent and is a real focal point for our attack. Was disappointed to see him go off and I thought Cook was poor when he came on. To me he doesn't look good enough. I liked Kerr in the middle as he gets his foot in and is quite calm in possession. Neilson can be great but too hot and cold. As soon as Wood was booked I thought he should have got at him more. Hatton was steady and did ok but Thomas on the other side was poor. Doesn't do a great deal going forward and cost us the third goal with a bad error. Centre halfs started well but faded against a physical front two. Pearson had a shocker on the penalty. McKeown needs to be more commanding. Should have come for the third instead of Aswad heading it. Hannah very lively and delighted with the hat trick but fades in and out of the game.

Overall though thought it was a very entertaining game but definitely, on chances, three points dropped.
Posted by: chaos33, April 18, 2014, 8:13pm; Reply: 18
Hatton?!? He was very disappointing at times, summed up perfectly by the shamefully wasted free kick near the end that he decided to shoot from, ballooning it over the bar when a good delivery into the box for players to attack was the thing to do. I was also infuriated to see him not busting a gut to get a block in on an Alfreton player pulling the ball back from the touch line near the end. Nielson, MOM or not, was patently the best player on the pitch.
Posted by: Tommy, April 18, 2014, 8:16pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from BIGChris
YET they could argue they gave us 3 goals, what was their keeper doing for the first, twitter suggests the 2nd was offside (?) and a stupid foul from Kempson for the 3rd.

Not certain whether Hannah's 2nd was offside or not. The camera angle isn't the best to judge from. The angle makes it look offsife but its nowhere near being in line with the call. I think he could well have been in line.
Posted by: chaos33, April 18, 2014, 8:18pm; Reply: 20
Is there a post match I/v with Hurst anywhere?
Posted by: Teesknees, April 18, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from chaos33
Is there a post match I/v with Hurst anywhere?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26983806

Posted by: stuart brace was king, April 18, 2014, 8:40pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Happy_Mariner
My thoughts having not been in a while.

Going forward we looked a real threat. Shop was excellent and is a real focal point for our attack. M

Overall though thought it was a very entertaining game but definitely, on chances, three points dropped.

Agree with final point but...
Sorry, MUST disagree...
Bit of a watershed for me today, but two things are clear.
Firstly the Shop... Tries like hell, big heart, but no instant control or class in front of goal.  
Secondly, dear old Aswad,  just forgiven him from Huddersfield game, and he does that; a liability.  The two must, reluctantly, go at end of season IMHO.

Pearson and Neilson were excellent, although the latter only latterly in the second half, defensively a nightmare.  Tighten up Town, get stuck in, be more professional (including the coach driver... FFS the M1 was shut at 10am) and we can get a result from an up and down season.
UTM
Posted by: stuart brace was king, April 18, 2014, 8:44pm; Reply: 23
PS having spent almost 2 and a half hours in the ground... Before kick off
The fans were fantastic, and the drum(s) were just excellent.  Great support, great singing and a great atmosphere.... And that was just before the game!
Well done to all 1063 travelling fans!

UTM
Posted by: Happy_Mariner, April 18, 2014, 8:47pm; Reply: 24

Sorry, MUST disagree...
Firstly the Shop... Tries like hell, big heart, but no instant control or class in front of goal.  
Secondly, dear old Aswad,  just forgiven him from Huddersfield game, and he does that; a liability.  The two must, reluctantly, go at end of season IMHO.

Pearson and Neilson were excellent, although the latter only latterly in the second half, defensively a nightmare.  Tighten up Town, get stuck in, be more professional (including the coach driver... FFS the M1 was shut at 10am) and we can get a result from an up and down season.
UTM

I agree that shop doesn't look a real goal threat but with his back to goal he really brings others in to play. Defensively at corners he does his job too. I think he's one of those players whose good work goes unnoticed with his flicks and he also rarely allows their centre halfs a free header to clear which allows us to keep up pressure.

His booking today was a bad decision but he should have been booked for the earlier challenge.
Posted by: Happy_Mariner, April 18, 2014, 8:50pm; Reply: 25

Sorry, MUST disagree...

UTM

On balance though this was the first time I've seen him play so I may change my mind the more I see him.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 18, 2014, 8:58pm; Reply: 26
Anyone else think thanoj was good today ?

Also when did Pearson turn into ronaldo !!
Posted by: stuart brace was king, April 18, 2014, 9:13pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Happy_Mariner

On balance though this was the first time I've seen him play so I may change my mind the more I see him.

I hope not, but that's where I am with LJL!  He's so dedicated, always trying... And made the second goal today.  But as I said a watershed for me with both those players.
Agree regarding the yellow card, but I think the ref had very little choice as he'd just yellow carded an Alfreton player for a very similar move going for a 50:50 header.

UTM
Ps I suspect I spoke to you at the Port Vale FA Cup game a couple years ago!  Keep the faith.
Posted by: Lambretta Mariner, April 18, 2014, 9:26pm; Reply: 28
Bradley Wood had the cheek to save with his hands and then hold his face as though it hit him in the chops. Would you describe as Qlquick thinking or cheating? Depends who you support I suppose.
Posted by: Rick12, April 18, 2014, 9:37pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Tommy

Neilson MOM for me, best player on the pitch.
good post Tommy      doesnt surprise me with Neilson.For me wouldn't surprise me if ability wise he is one of the best in this league
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, April 18, 2014, 10:00pm; Reply: 30
Why do people keep saying mistakes cost us three points? Did we lose? Have they changed the points system? Am I missing something?
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, April 18, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from grimsby pete

You have to joking. One of the best footballers in the division, with the right coaching and belief could be a superb attacking full back at a level above where we are at.

Has the ability , needs the right coaching and development.

Yes he made a mistake but where was the shout from the keeper.....he was just as much, if not more at fault.

Posted by: Alfie, April 18, 2014, 10:07pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

You have to joking. One of the best footballers in the division, with the right coaching and belief could be a superb attacking full back at a level above where we are at.

Yes he made a mistake but where was the shout from the keeper.....he was just as much, if not more at fault.

WHS - another daft post from GrimsbyPete.

I'd point the finger just as much at Macca or Kerr for not showing the onus to kick Aswad and the ball into touch.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 18, 2014, 10:14pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Alfie

WHS - another daft post from GrimsbyPete.

I'd point the finger just as much at Macca or Kerr for not showing the onus to kick Aswad and the ball into touch.

Bollox ^ the reason he's at this level is he loses his head at vital moments and costs his team results . That's why he got bombed out at charlton and there's no amount of coaching that can fix that fact . Sorry harsh but true .
Posted by: Teesknees, April 18, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 34
Why do people keep saying mistakes cost us three points? Did we lose? Have they changed the points system? Am I missing something?

As we drew it should only cost us two points anyway!
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, April 18, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Bollox ^ the reason he's at this level is he loses his head at vital moments and costs his team results . That's why he got bombed out at charlton and there's no amount of coaching that can fix that fact . Sorry harsh but true .

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Coaching and development is not just about ability but also about mental attitude, and the individual can be be developed in both areas. Just ask the British cyclist team.....

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 18, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 36
Oh I stand corrected I should've remembered the British cycling team
Posted by: BIGChris, April 18, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

I wonder were we can find a coach who used to be a left back with say 15 yrs league experience?

Posted by: Fcukthescunts, April 18, 2014, 10:40pm; Reply: 38
Just made it back to Preston. Firstly great support today from the travelling Army! Thought defence was poor today at crucial times, I have only seen town 6 times this season but not been impressed with Thomas any time I I was a massive fan of his last season. Good to see Hannah get some goals.
Hope the great support continues and drags the performances back to the Scunthorpe/ Huddersfield games earlier in season.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, April 18, 2014, 10:41pm; Reply: 39
Oh I stand corrected I should've remembered the British cycling team

So we are too insular to learn from other sports and individual development techniques are we?

Posted by: Garth, April 18, 2014, 10:41pm; Reply: 40
I wonder were we can find a coach who used to be a left back with say 15 yrs league experience?

Lost on me Chris! get your drift with Hurst but are you saying IYO he is not getting the coaching, or is and can`t take it on board, enlighten please
Posted by: grimps, April 18, 2014, 10:45pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Garth

, enlighten please

Brian Laws is free  ;)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 18, 2014, 10:49pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

So we are too insular to learn from other sports and individual development techniques are we?

How do you know he hasn't had this coaching since the Huddersfield game ? Or his hand held and cuddled and told he's the best fullback in non league
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, April 18, 2014, 11:01pm; Reply: 43

How do you know he hasn't had this coaching since the Huddersfield game ? Or his hand held and cuddled and told he's the best fullback in non league

Leaving aside the general football coaching aspects it would be be
interesting to find out what individual development techniques are used though wouldn't it.

Though I guess you are of the school that the mental side of the individuals game needs no outside development help?

Posted by: barralad, April 18, 2014, 11:06pm; Reply: 44
Well, I only saw the first half but was left wondering about the difference between Town in attack mode (i.e. today) and any of the last four away league games (excluding Dartford) where the defence looked strong(er) but attacking nous was sadly lacking. It certainly made for a more interesting half but ultimately we are two points worse off. Perhaps that is the way it is at our level-difficult to have both with any regularity.
As I said I cannot comment on the second half but got in the first half all the evidence needed as to why P.H. sees LJL as a pivotal player for the team.
Plenty of evidence also for those who believe that the "ball-players" in midfield should have more of a look in. I'll leave it for others to comment on whether what Dis brings in terms of goals and support for the defence outweighs the undoubted improved service for our strike force.  
Posted by: moosey_club, April 18, 2014, 11:15pm; Reply: 45

Sorry, MUST disagree...
UTM

Did you see LJL win the ball back to instigate the first goal and put in on a plate for Hannah for his second?
LJL earnt his wages today.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, April 18, 2014, 11:16pm; Reply: 46
Cracking atmosphere from the town fans, and the best attacking performance I've seen for a long time from us, just stupid silly mistakes at the back have cost us the game.

Thought Macca was poor today, and silly mistakes from Pearson and Thomas have cost us really.
Pleased to see Thanoj on the pitch, a very calming influence and always looking to get the ball down.
Hannah was back to his old self and hardly ever offside for a change, should've won the game for us though late on I thought.
Thought Lenny made the ball stick up top, but his distribution after that he'd got hold of it left alot to be desired.
How Kempson stayed on the pitch I'll never know.

Well done to all the travelling town fans.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 18, 2014, 11:20pm; Reply: 47
Reference your last comment Barra I would, if he is fit, put Dis back in & leave out Kerr on Monday. Ask him to play a bit deeper, think he does do some solid work defensively, and give others freedom to bomb on against what hopefully will be weaker opposition.

Also gives Kerr a rest and another opportunity to see if we can continue to create more goalscoring opportunities. Have to say after Tuesday todays attacking display was very enjoyable pity we decided to lose defensive shape.
Posted by: Rick12, April 19, 2014, 12:02am; Reply: 48
Quoted from grimps

Brian Laws is free  ;)
hope Hurst can get us out of this league but the one I like and admire is John Still.I know he hasnt had it all plain sailing in his managerial career  eg with Barnet whom were relegated with him at the helm but managers learn.One of the things I like about him is his preference for choosing mentality over ability and his no nonsense attitude
Posted by: oldludensian, April 19, 2014, 7:33am; Reply: 49
Quoted from moosey_club

Did you see LJL win the ball back to instigate the first goal and put in on a plate for Hannah for his second?

Too true, I thought LJL held it up well, sprayed it about, competed with the physicality/cheating of Kempson and headed a few on. Far superior than the saviour Cook I'm afraid.

Also, no one appears to have mentioned Thomas saving us from conceding another by a pretty blatant hand ball near in the second half.

Posted by: stuart brace was king, April 19, 2014, 7:38am; Reply: 50
Quoted from moosey_club

Agree regarding the second goal... As per my previous post on this thread.
"... And made the second goal today."

As far as the first, my eyes struggle to see at the opposite end of the pitch.  You're lucky to have perfect vision.... Or did you watch on TV?

UTM
Posted by: chaos33, April 19, 2014, 8:27am; Reply: 51
Oh man, this really was a game we should have won. Poor decisions from players and the officials have cost us 3 points we really needed. I SO hope we don't end up regretting that because we were much improved going forward. Tend to agree with Ginny that we are making much harder work of getting into the play offs than we should be doing. Got very mixed feelings this morning. :o
Posted by: Badger57, April 19, 2014, 9:26am; Reply: 52
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Cracking atmosphere from the town fans, and the best attacking performance I've seen for a long time from us, just stupid silly mistakes at the back have cost us the game.

Thought Macca was poor today, and silly mistakes from Pearson and Thomas have cost us really.
Pleased to see Thanoj on the pitch, a very calming influence and always looking to get the ball down.
Hannah was back to his old self and hardly ever offside for a change, should've won the game for us though late on I thought.
Thought Lenny made the ball stick up top, but his distribution after that he'd got hold of it left alot to be desired.
How Kempson stayed on the pitch I'll never know.

Well done to all the travelling town fans.

To be fair, there was a suspicion that Hannah was offside for the first and definitely offside for his second. Another day he'd have had one goal but pleased for him anyway. Thanoj is the future (if he stays) Much more potent than Disley although he really should have put away that chance in the first half. World class save from LJL header! Very enjoyable game and a fair result overall.
Posted by: nightrider, April 19, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 53
Ffs andy cook was only on the field 10mins and people still want to pick fault.
We scored 3 goals, none of which were scored by the saviour ljl and everyone thinks were barcalona. One was from the spot, one was offside and the other was only scored due to a shocking once in a career mistake by their goalkeeper.

Andy Cook scored more goals than ljl last season despite taking a while to get going in what was his first season full time.
The strikeforce he was in scored more goals than ljl and co
The team itself scored more goals
We should be better than last season if anything
'He holds it up better' 'he brings others into play' 'he's good for the team'  

We might as well sign 10 american football players and join the nfl next season
Posted by: rancido, April 19, 2014, 4:53pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Alfie

It was also an exceptionally shoddy defensive display. All three goals looked preventable. We haven't looked the same defensively since we 'released' Miller and even now - with two games to go - it still looks like an unforgivable decision. Crackers.Don't think any of the back-five have come out of today with any credit. Just don't look composed or steady at the back. Even for the last goal, McKeown should be busting his lungs to shout for that ball and clatter Thomas. Shambles.

Miller didn't want to stay and his contract was up.His wife hated the area and he went with her wishes. This has been mentioned many times on here but some fans still seem to think we got rid of him! Totally untrue - he wanted away , end of story.

Posted by: ginnywings, April 19, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from rancido

Miller didn't want to stay and his contract was up.His wife hated the area and he went with her wishes. This has been mentioned many times on here but some fans still seem to think we got rid of him! Totally untrue - he wanted away , end of story.

Not end of story..................

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Released-Grimsby-Town-defender-bears-grudges/story-18889777-detail/story.html
Posted by: BIGChris, April 19, 2014, 5:21pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from rancido

Not sure about his wife's involvement but he had been offered a contract on more money, housing allowance and with an offer to coach at Cambridge. This was a long time before the end of last season. This was disclosed to GTFC. That package was higher than S&H wanted to pay ( they didn't want to upset others with the housing allowance thing) and therefore he wasn't offered new terms as it was felt pointless because we didn't want to match the deal he had at Cambridge
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 19, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 57
Another daft post from Alfie , who thinks he knows everthing,

Miler is a Bury St Edmunds lad and he was offered a great deal to come home,

I only hope he made the wrong decision playing wise and we go up and not Cambridge,

As far as Thomas goes, I said how many goals has he cost us this season ?

It must be 5 or 6 , I repeat I hope he moves on.
Posted by: wigworld, April 19, 2014, 6:09pm; Reply: 58
I don't often disagree with you, Pete, but I have to make an exception this time. I know he has been a liability at times, but he's created a few goals as well. And who did we have before Thomas? Lee Ridley, wasn't it? I'll stick with Thomas.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 19, 2014, 6:14pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from wigworld
I don't often disagree with you, Pete, but I have to make an exception this time. I know he has been a liability at times, but he's created a few goals as well. And who did we have before Thomas? Lee Ridley, wasn't it? I'll stick with Thomas.

I agree he has a lot of good points,

BUT

His silly mistakes out weights them imo,

Every body are entitled to have an opinion though, it does not make it daft or wrong, ( Alfie )
Posted by: BIGChris, April 19, 2014, 6:21pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from wigworld

The alternative at present is Fyfield.

Thomas tends to flit between a run of good performances and then becomes error prone. He started the season shakily, then after Goodhall went back to Fleetwood Assy came back very well, he had another dip when he seemed to score own goals or conceded penalties and was replaced by Fyfield. When he got his place back he had been excellent, both defensively and as a crucial part of our team going forward.

I certainly don't think he should take the sole blame for their 3rd goal yesterday. Communication seemed sadly lacking. He clearly felt he HAD to try and get his head to the ball as he would have assumed a Alfreton striker was behind him
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, April 19, 2014, 6:39pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from grimsby pete

I agree he has a lot of good points,

BUT

His silly mistakes out weights them imo,

Every body are entitled to have an opinion though, it does not make it daft or wrong, ( Alfie )

Certainly doesn't make it daft.....as you say everyone has different opinions, its what makes football so fascinating....

Posted by: chaos33, April 19, 2014, 7:09pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from BIGChris

Thomas tends to flit between a run of good performances and then becomes error prone. He started the season shakily, then after Goodhall went back to Fleetwood Assy came back very well, he had another dip when he seemed to score own goals or conceded penalties and was replaced by Fyfield. When he got his place back he had been excellent, both defensively and as a crucial part of our team going forward.

I certainly don't think he should take the sole blame for their 3rd goal yesterday. Communication seemed sadly lacking. He clearly felt he HAD to try and get his head to the ball as he would have assumed a Alfreton striker was behind him

I think that's spot on BC
Posted by: rancido, April 19, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from BIGChris

I certainly think that McKeown should be more vocal and commanding in the 6 yard box. This is the only area that lets him down and if he was more " aggresive " in this area he would be a great keeper.
Posted by: chicaneuk, April 19, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 64
Was a mostly enjoyable game despite the disappointment of going ahead THREE TIMES and only walking away with a point. The mystery of this club is that at times they can put on mountains of pressure and play brilliantly, and then within minutes have just switched off almost inviting the opposition into the town half. It's baffling.

Town did play some poor football, but my overriding feeling was one of positivity - there was some great play, and I feel that we did deserve to win it.

I thought Scott Neilson was fantastic. Definitely my MOM - though it feels difficult to say that given that Hannah is on the scoresheet as taking the hat-trick? Neilson had some moments of brilliance and sheer determination that I don't think I've really seen from anyone in the town lineup in quite some time - it was very refreshing.

Quoted from wigworld

It's a tough one with Aswad. Sometimes he's rock solid and makes some great play, and great challenges - he was right in there quite a few times, crossing in the ball, etc on Friday - yet sometimes might as well not be on the pitch and just seems really out of sorts. If he could just get a bit more consistent he'd be an indispensable player I think.
Posted by: thevera, April 19, 2014, 9:39pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from grimsby pete
Another daft post from Alfie , who thinks he knows everthing,

Miler is a Bury St Edmunds lad and he was offered a great deal to come home,

I only hope he made the wrong decision playing wise and we go up and not Cambridge,

As far as Thomas goes, I said how many goals has he cost us this season ?

It must be 5 or 6 , I repeat I hope he moves on.

He is too good a player to move on from the standard we are currently at. Can't remember the game but two or three home games ago I thought he was superb as an attacking option unfortunately no one was getting on the end of some super crosses.
As for yesterday it looked on the face of it a terrible piece of defending to head it back across goal like that. However he was heading back to his position after the corner when the ball came straight back in, he was obviously unaware who was behind him, as it was it was Kerr who was coming out from covering the post, Kerr should have let Thomas know he was ok to leave it and it would have gone harmlessly out of play or to Macca. Having said all that who knows if Kerr said that and Assy chose to ignore it.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, April 19, 2014, 9:39pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from nightrider
Ffs andy cook was only on the field 10mins and people still want to pick fault.
We scored 3 goals, none of which were scored by the saviour ljl and everyone thinks were barcalona. One was from the spot, one was offside and the other was only scored due to a shocking once in a career mistake by their goalkeeper.

Andy Cook scored more goals than ljl last season despite taking a while to get going in what was his first season full time.
The strikeforce he was in scored more goals than ljl and co
The team itself scored more goals
We should be better than last season if anything
'He holds it up better' 'he brings others into play' 'he's good for the team'  

We might as well sign 10 american football players and join the nfl next season

Good god your an idiot.
Posted by: Alfie, April 19, 2014, 10:08pm; Reply: 67
Anyone who is doubting Aswad's potential genuinely needs their noggin' looking at.

It's very easy to blame him for the third goal yesterday but the finger should just as easily be pointed at Kerr and McKeown.

He's made a couple of high-profile mistakes this season that have cost us goals (probably no more than Macca tbf) but was part of a rock solid defence last season, has proven to be adept defensively this season but is absolutely sensational going forward as a full back. We genuinely look a different side with him in the team.

Expect him to move on to pastures new at the end of the season but wouldn't be shocked to see him turn up at one of the London-based Football League clubs.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 19, 2014, 11:09pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Alfie
Anyone who is doubting Aswad's potential genuinely needs their noggin' looking at.

It's very easy to blame him for the third goal yesterday but the finger should just as easily be pointed at Kerr and McKeown.

He's made a couple of high-profile mistakes this season that have cost us goals (probably no more than Macca tbf) but was part of a rock solid defence last season, has proven to be adept defensively this season but is absolutely sensational going forward as a full back. We genuinely look a different side with him in the team.

Expect him to move on to pastures new at the end of the season but wouldn't be shocked to see him turn up at one of the London-based Football League clubs.

I think it is you who noggin needs looking at Alfie,

You have an opinion and anybody who disagrees with it are just plain daft,

We all have opinions but who apart from you is to say who is right.

Posted by: marinette, April 20, 2014, 7:45am; Reply: 69
Didn't get to see the game, either live or on TV, but surprised by my brother (who is a rugby fan).  He said he recorded it, watched it and enjoyed it.  Even more surprised by my sister in law, who also enjoyed it.  They both said Town should have won - that Town were by far the better side.  And also that it was good to see players getting straight back up after they'd been clattered.  (I suppose with Bradley Wood, Darran Kempson and Shaun P on the pitch, that's what you're going to get.)
Posted by: Alfie, April 20, 2014, 11:04am; Reply: 70
Quoted from marinette
Didn't get to see the game, either live or on TV, but surprised by my brother (who is a rugby fan).  He said he recorded it, watched it and enjoyed it.  Even more surprised by my sister in law, who also enjoyed it.  They both said Town should have won - that Town were by far the better side.  And also that it was good to see players getting straight back up after they'd been clattered.  (I suppose with Bradley Wood, Darran Kempson and Shaun P on the pitch, that's what you're going to get.)

I've found this too.

Every neutral i've taken to games - including a couple of Man Ure season ticket holders - have fell in love with the authenticity, passion and togetherness of football at our level.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 20, 2014, 11:29am; Reply: 71

Agree regarding the second goal... As per my previous post on this thread.
"... And made the second goal today."

As far as the first, my eyes struggle to see at the opposite end of the pitch.  You're lucky to have perfect vision.... Or did you watch on TV?

UTM

I do have perfect vision, well i did last time i went to specsavers anyway, but no i watched on telly so had several replays too to help decipher the action and talking points.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 20, 2014, 11:33am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Alfie

I've found this too.

Every neutral i've taken to games - including a couple of Man Ure season ticket holders - have fell in love with the authenticity, passion and togetherness of football at our level.

I've found this too with friends of mine, which is strange, because I watch it most weeks and think it's shit!  ;)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 20, 2014, 1:07pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Alfie

I've found this too.

How delightfully patronising of them.
Posted by: RoboCod, April 20, 2014, 1:16pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

How delightfully patronising of them.

Sometimes the standard Like button just doesn't cut it;

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbXRnpS2piyfwelqvsCr1OjQ20diDIVc9dN3HhkH-YofiZOqOU[/img]
Posted by: Garth, April 20, 2014, 7:35pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from rancido

Speaking to the Telegraph, Miller admitted he thought he had done enough to earn a new deal – having played a key part in earning the Mariners the best defensive record in the league this season.

Hmm! seems he saw it differently

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Released-Grimsby-Town-defender-bears-grudges/story-18889777-detail/story.html#ixzz2zS6UbsrB
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 4:08pm