Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, April 19, 2014, 9:42pm
I hope we get a good attendance on Monday over 4000 at least and the crowd gets behind the mariners from the off. We've seen that in our away games this season were a force and that's because of our amazing loud away support, we just need to generate this into our home games a bit more and try and build a bit of momentum going into the playoffs If we get into them.

So let's cheer on the mariners to a vital 3 points on Monday with us scoring a few goals and bringing a bit of that buzz back into blundell park which in my opinion the team deserve with either Gateshead or Braintree faltering.

Up the mariners
Posted by: immariner, April 19, 2014, 10:57pm; Reply: 1
Everyone has to try and remain calm and patient, that is the key. Not easy, given the importance and the expectation but at 0-0 and especially if we (God forbid) happen to go 0-1 down, the players need the crowd's full backing to play their stuff and not be panicked. Need to turn that nervous energy into (cliché alert) becoming the 12th man. Roared on, we should beat them comfortably!
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 20, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 2
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
I hope we get a good attendance on Monday over 4000 at least and the crowd gets behind the mariners from the off. We've seen that in our away games this season were a force and that's because of our amazing loud away support, we just need to generate this into our home games a bit more and try and build a bit of momentum going into the playoffs If we get into them.

So let's cheer on the mariners to a vital 3 points on Monday with us scoring a few goals and bringing a bit of that buzz back into blundell park which in my opinion the team deserve with either Gateshead or Braintree faltering.

Up the mariners

I think we will easily get over 4,000 and I believe that the crowd will be right behind the players even well before kick off.  

We need to get back in the league, we the fans need to treat every game now as a cup final!
Posted by: mariner tommy, April 20, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 3
Goals are so important tomorrow, Us, Gateshead and Braintree have an identical goal difference.
So a big win is needed tomorrow. I still don't think that the two teams I have mentioned will win their remaining two games so I believe that a big win against Hyde will be enough. Especially with Braintree at Barnet tomorrow.

UTM
Posted by: chaos33, April 20, 2014, 10:30am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Marinerz93

I think we will easily get over 4,000 and I believe that the crowd will be right behind the players even well before kick off.  

We need to get back in the league, we the fans need to treat every game now as a cup final!

I'm not so sure we'll 'easily get more than 4000'.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 20, 2014, 10:35am; Reply: 5
Quoted from mariner tommy
Goals are so important tomorrow, Us, Gateshead and Braintree have an identical goal difference.
So a big win is needed tomorrow. I still don't think that the two teams I have mentioned will win their remaining two games so I believe that a big win against Hyde will be enough. Especially with Braintree at Barnet tomorrow.

UTM

I'm the nervy sort so I'd take any sort of narrow win right now, but you are absolutely right. If we are fortunate enough to get 2-0 relatively early, then it would be very wise to try to get 4 or 5 (or more). Could be crucial.

I really hope the crowd stay patient if things don't start brilliantly. Hyde have taken one or two tonkings but they have made life very difficult for plenty of teams too.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, April 20, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 6
I'm actually quite worried about Monday. We struggle to break down the lower teams, and with it being Hyde, I can see our home fans getting very restless and agitated. I hope not, and they stay calm and hope the players do aswell.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 20, 2014, 10:55am; Reply: 7
ultimately the players know what they have to do, and if the fans stay with them and roar them on, i can see only 1 outcome
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 20, 2014, 11:03am; Reply: 8
A good win tomorrow with a good performance will set us up nicely for the Braintree game. :)
Posted by: mariner tommy, April 20, 2014, 11:03am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Hagrid
ultimately the players know what they have to do, and if the fans stay with them and roar them on, i can see only 1 outcome

I agree, from our point of view the equation is simple, just win, and win big.
Cambridge have only scored eight more goals than us this season and they put seven past them, so I'm sure we can manage a few.

UTM
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, April 20, 2014, 11:21am; Reply: 10
I just fear if we dont score the first half the crowd then start getting on the backs ect ect and the cycle begins again.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, April 20, 2014, 11:39am; Reply: 11
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
I just fear if we dont score the first half the crowd then start getting on the backs ect ect and the cycle begins again.

Agreed. I suppose the fine margins make football what it is. Think how comfortable we'd be if the ref gave Jennings that penalty at Macc, or if Cook's header goes in off the post at Dartford, or Thomas clears with his header late on against Alfreton. Obviously there will be plenty of incidents that could have gone against us and cost us points too (but I conveniently choose to forget those).

Bury a couple of early chances against Hyde, Braintree drop points and we'll all wonder what the fuss was about. Struggle to break them down and it might start seeming like we're throwing away our chances of promotion.

Bring it on!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 20, 2014, 11:42am; Reply: 12
Is the kids for a quid offer on Monday??
Posted by: Rick12, April 20, 2014, 12:20pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from immariner
Everyone has to try and remain calm and patient, that is the key. Not easy, given the importance and the expectation but at 0-0 and especially if we (God forbid) happen to go 0-1 down, the players need the crowd's full backing to play their stuff and not be panicked. Need to turn that nervous energy into (cliché alert) becoming the 12th man. Roared on, we should beat them comfortably!
agree crowd plays a massive part.Look at Liverpool for example their fans are a credit to their club(Hillsborough for one).Remember when they won the champions league under Benitez for the first time. Management  were still amazed that they done it with a under par squad.But it was  mentioned the special atmosphere of Anfield  pushed players beyond of what they normally play to
Posted by: moosey_club, April 20, 2014, 12:58pm; Reply: 14
The only danger for me is that we dont have the mentality of all we have to do is turn up to claim three points.
I kind of think thats what happened for the Dartford game in many respects, they are down the bottom with only ten points so something is bound to happen and someone will score.. Hurst needs to get an attacking team out there and go for it and treat it like a shorter version of the game. Use the first 45 mins to win the game and get it over and done with.
No matter how much control we have in a match something can always happen to gift them a goal, Pearson penalty, Thomas O.G, Kerr over elaborating..so wasting 20 mins or so whacking it up to LJL should be a no no, we need incisive, positive play at tempo.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 20, 2014, 1:04pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Is the kids for a quid offer on Monday??

Seems that way Chris...saw this on FB

Tickets for the Easter Monday game against Hyde are on sale.

Visit: http://www.gtfctickets.co.uk/ / Call: 01472 605050.

With a voucher from either Saturday's or Monday's Grimsby Telegraph a junior - aged 1-14 - can get a ticket for £1 when accompanied by a paying adult.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, April 20, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 16
If we play to our capabilities, get the ball on the ground and pass it to feet, then we should win against both Hyde and Braintree.  Get behind the team; there are five cup finals coming up.
Posted by: Rick12, April 20, 2014, 2:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
If we play to our capabilities, get the ball on the ground and pass it to feet, then we should win against both Hyde and Braintree.  Get behind the team; there are five cup finals coming up.
agree if the players are on their game I fancy us to take the 3 points(more Hyde than Braintree though)
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 20, 2014, 2:37pm; Reply: 18
A home win for Town on Monday and a home win for Macclesfield and we can all relax for the next week.

If not, as long as we win, it'll be down to Barnet to get a result (either win or draw) in the late kick-off against Braintree.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 20, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Seems that way Chris...saw this on FB

Tickets for the Easter Monday game against Hyde are on sale.

Visit: http://www.gtfctickets.co.uk/ / Call: 01472 605050.

With a voucher from either Saturday's or Monday's Grimsby Telegraph a junior - aged 1-14 - can get a ticket for £1 when accompanied by a paying adult.

Thanks Tim!  I will get the wife to pick them up in the morning then, im at work till 2,45 so it will be a bit of a rush.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 20, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Thanks Tim!  I will get the wife to pick them up in the morning then, im at work till 2,45 so it will be a bit of a rush.

Tell me about it Chris - if you have to get from Pasture St you might be ok if there's not much traffic

I never seem to get to the ground until just before kick off...bad planning and sometimes bad traffic but get there in the end

As long as I can find a place to park near Sidney Park by about 10 to though me and the lad can just about do it, although cutting it fine sometimes
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, April 20, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 21
Looking on the bright side we can lose tomorrow and it is still in our hands....... ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, April 20, 2014, 5:50pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from cmackenzie4

You need one of these parked up in your sidings, park up at New Clee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcar

Posted by: RichMariner, April 20, 2014, 6:39pm; Reply: 23
One thing that Hurst must surely do, and that's to stick with John-Lewis and Hannah.

It's the most used strike partnership this season and the only one that's produced goals on a fairly steady, if unspectactular, basis.

If he's concerned about keeping his 'best' players fresh for the Braintree/play-off games, then he can take them off when we're two or three goals up.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 20, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from RichMariner
One thing that Hurst must surely do, and that's to stick with John-Lewis and Hannah.

Agreed. Dropping a striker who's just ended a drought by banging a hat-trick would be bonkers.
Posted by: GyMariner, April 20, 2014, 9:12pm; Reply: 25
I hope Hannah gets a few tomorrow, we need to stick with the team that are most likely to play in the playoffs to fill them with confidence, would like to see both neilson/Rodman play and thanoj/Kerr with ljl and Hannah upfront
Posted by: chaos33, April 20, 2014, 9:33pm; Reply: 26
Rodman didn't train today so seems doubtful he'll play. On that basis I hope he sticks with Paddy and Neilson wide midfield, as at Alfreton.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 20, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 27
For me, there should only be one change tomorrow, McDonald for Pearson, and that only to stop the latter from picking up a ban. I'm a fan of Disley as he's a smart footballer, but what we need now, more than anything is consistency of selection, they can be tired when they're on the beach on a few weeks time, but for now the players need to give so much they are crawling of the pitch for hopefully five more games.
Posted by: chaos33, April 20, 2014, 10:11pm; Reply: 28
Personally I reckon that central defender swap will be the only change to the starting eleven.
Posted by: mrsd, April 20, 2014, 11:22pm; Reply: 29
Season tickets should come with a government health warning!
Posted by: mariner tommy, April 21, 2014, 9:32am; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33
Personally I reckon that central defender swap will be the only change to the starting eleven.

I hope so, we put in a good performance at Alfreton and would not make sense to change too much.

UTM
Posted by: immariner, April 21, 2014, 1:31pm; Reply: 31
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Paul-Hurst-urges-fans-calm-ahead-Grimsby-Town-s/story-20989218-detail/story.html

As expected, Hurst calls for patience. I think it's sensible. I know there will be some wanting Hurst to say we're going to go out there and smash 'em, which hopefully he thinks we will, but the pressure has to be relieved as much as possible. A supportive crowd and relaxed players should see the result take care of itself.

COT
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 2:59am