Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 24, 2014, 12:48pm
Well, what do with think of the new stadium? How do they manage to get things sorted so easily, whilst we struggle for 20 years? :o
Posted by: JoeTheMariner, April 24, 2014, 1:16pm; Reply: 1
Don't worry, it'll be another terrible ground for them. It looks soulless and half-arsed. Plus the huge gap between the seating and the roof won't create any atmosphere. In my opinion, it's a sparkly new Glumford.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 24, 2014, 1:18pm; Reply: 2
Scunny and Hull having new grounds will hopefully help ours get the necessary planning permission when it eventually gets to that stage
Posted by: brigg_mariner, April 24, 2014, 1:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from GrimRob
Scunny and Hull having new grounds will hopefully help ours get the necessary planning permission when it eventually gets to that stage

I thought that too, I just don't think it will be in the next 10 years, hope that I am wrong.
Posted by: BIGChris, April 24, 2014, 1:44pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Well, what do with think of the new stadium? How do they manage to get things sorted so easily, whilst we struggle for 20 years? :o

IMO the biggest obstacle are the Councillors who continue to hold back the area despite opportunities to bring Grimsby and surrounding area's kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Not just regarding the ground issue, but they appear hell bent on looking for reasons why things shouldn't be done rather in how obstacles can be overcome.

All local Town fans should be asking questions of their prospective councillors for the forthcoming elections to see if they have an open mind about the feasibility study, or have already made their minds up to object, even before they know what they are objecting to.

If the ground issue is important to you, then ask the question, and vote accordingly
Posted by: rancido, April 24, 2014, 1:44pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from GrimRob

Can't think that would make a difference - they have different councils to us.They seem to have councils that look to the future while ours can only see the past! Even a lot of our fans don't want to leave BP. It's not as if we have a decent ground with a great atmosphere. BP is a relic of a bygone age and the sooner it is gone the better but I can't see this happening in this economic climate and especially with this council.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 24, 2014, 2:45pm; Reply: 6
I Think its spot on.

hope we get one similar soon
Posted by: DocTower, April 24, 2014, 2:51pm; Reply: 7
Their ground is on a prime retail site , so don't know how much they will get for it . Sad thing is their crowds are very poor for a team in their position . Twelve thousand seater stadium only a quarter full moving further away from the town .

That said , progressive chairman , council for the move to bring more retail into that area . Ashby high street is dieing so shops will move there into a village style complex .

What have we got ? Super new pathway already falling apart , a bus station and a one way system of chaos . Failure to bring investment into the town , but we have got " Skint " to look forward to .
Posted by: Trawler, April 24, 2014, 3:33pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from DocTower

What have we got ? Super new pathway already falling apart , a bus station and a one way system of chaos . Failure to bring investment into the town , but we have got " Skint " to look forward to .

You forgot the super slippy fally over and then sandpapery leg gashing new leisure centre pool side floor.

On the plus side off shore wind investment in the Town is promising and we're getting a new cinema complex to boot.

Posted by: Martz86, April 24, 2014, 4:41pm; Reply: 9
Another cinema venue? What a waste of money, don't even fill the current one.
Posted by: oldun, April 24, 2014, 5:13pm; Reply: 10
Their current site is prime retail land with M & S and Debenhams wanting to open stores in that area.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 24, 2014, 5:36pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from oldun
Their current site is prime retail land with M & S and Debenhams wanting to open stores in that area.

They'll no doubt attract more punters there on a Saturday than the Iron could to their tin shed
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 24, 2014, 5:42pm; Reply: 12
Their new ground will be a vast improvement on their last sardine tin.  It's just strange that someone as dynamic as Swann appears to be, that he jumps into bed with such a poorly supported club.

It takes great skill, cunning and a certain ruthlessness to make your plans come to fruition when certain personalities are resistant to positive change.  

Who ever replaces our limpet of an MP, I hope he/she lives locally and gets on board with our hope of a new ground.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 24, 2014, 7:06pm; Reply: 13
Makes no difference what the council thinks does it? We dont have the finance or a backer for a ground last i heard so how will planning be an issue??
Posted by: chaos33, April 24, 2014, 7:48pm; Reply: 14
I think it looks good and I'm more than a little bit jealous and angry.
Posted by: Running like emson, April 25, 2014, 9:10am; Reply: 15
Quoted from chaos33
I think it looks good and I'm more than a little bit jealous and angry.

Agree with you, seeing the new stadium designs made we very jealous indeed. No restricted views, now there's something
Posted by: grimps, April 25, 2014, 9:43am; Reply: 16
How the hell poxy Scunthorpe can have two brand new stadiums and we are still waiting for one says it all  :-/
This council has never been a friend of GTFC and we should start to make it known ,There will be more than a few hundred Town fans in each ward so if we could field a candidate against each Councillor that has hindered us over the years they would soon change their tune  ;)
Posted by: GiveUsAG, April 25, 2014, 1:53pm; Reply: 17
A lot of people (including some of our own fans) are against the move from Blundell park because we rarely fill it and believe we don't 'need' a new stadium.

I believe we do, Blundell park is old and outdated. Has limited parking and a lack of facilities. Didn't they say that we're losing money because of the maintenance costs? Or is costing way too much in maintenance? And because there's a lack of food and drink outlets in the ground, we're losing out on potential income?

But I fear for as long as there is so many against the idea of a new stadium, we'll be stuck at Blundell park for some time to come yet. I think there's more who are 'against' a new stadium than there is 'for' a new stadium.

Whereas Scunny, Boston and Hull have had more of a backing.

Sorry if this comes across as a negative point of view.
Posted by: grimps, April 25, 2014, 2:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GiveUsAG
A lot of people (including some of our own fans) are against the move from Blundell park because we rarely fill it and believe we don't 'need' a new stadium.

I believe we do, Blundell park is old and outdated. Has limited parking and a lack of facilities. Didn't they say that we're losing money because of the maintenance costs? Or is costing way too much in maintenance? And because there's a lack of food and drink outlets in the ground, we're losing out on potential income?

But I fear for as long as there is so many against the idea of a new stadium, we'll be stuck at Blundell park for some time to come yet. I think there's more who are 'against' a new stadium than there is 'for' a new stadium.

I dont believe that more fans are against than for ! Everyone I speak to understands and wants a new ground apart from the few nimbys and a few more soon to be unemployed Councillors
Posted by: GiveUsAG, April 25, 2014, 2:32pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimps

I dont believe that more fans are against than for ! Everyone I speak to understands and wants a new ground apart from the few nimbys and a few more soon to be unemployed Councillors

It's just how it seems to me, I didn't mean to be so negative about it. It's just my opinion. I really hope we do get a new stadium soon.  :o
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 25, 2014, 2:58pm; Reply: 20
I think you make a valid argument.

There are always going to be those who don't like change. But, we NEED change
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, April 25, 2014, 9:20pm; Reply: 21
so in 30 years they have managed something to do something twice, and we cant do it once!
Posted by: BIGChris, April 26, 2014, 1:43pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GiveUsAG

Sorry if this comes across as a negative point of view.

Recent survey showed a massive 93% were in favour of a ground move so it is a tiny number who want to stay at BP which frankly will ensure the club can never be sustainable
Posted by: Rick12, April 26, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 23
They previewed the proposed new stadia today on football focus.Looks impressive to be fair though surprising there going for a new one considering Glanford Park is not that old.Hope we get ours soon in the not to distant future because as much as I love Blundell Park it would be nice to have a new ground.
Posted by: mariner2000, April 26, 2014, 2:49pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from JoeTheMariner
Don't worry, it'll be another terrible ground for them. It looks soulless and half-arsed. Plus the huge gap between the seating and the roof won't create any atmosphere. In my opinion, it's a sparkly new Glumford.

Well all I would say is if thats an 18 million stadium what do you think we'll get for what we are willing to pay!!!
Posted by: GiveUsAG, April 26, 2014, 3:41pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from BIGChris

Recent survey showed a massive 93% were in favour of a ground move so it is a tiny number who want to stay at BP which frankly will ensure the club can never be sustainable

Ah fair enough.  8)
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 4:36pm