Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 75 (Guest), July 11, 2014, 9:29pm
Sorry if I've missed this but I hear the Sunderland game has been cancelled again. My mate is a die hard Sunderland fan, says they've sacked us again and booked into la manga or some place. Out of order in my opinion, don't bother with them again.
Posted by: Simariner, July 11, 2014, 9:37pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from 75
Sorry if I've missed this but I hear the Sunderland game has been cancelled again. My mate is a die hard Sunderland fan, says they've sacked us again and booked into la manga or some place. Out of order in my opinion, don't bother with them again.

Welcome Back BPVicar!!
Posted by: davmariner, July 11, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 2
Yeah we're now playing a 'Sunderland XI'. They start their pre-season tour of Portugal they day after they were supposed to play us. Another GTFC master stroke. Let our Youth team manager go in exchange for nothing.
Posted by: SlouchyMetal, July 11, 2014, 10:30pm; Reply: 3
well, its not on their website anymore
Posted by: Maringer, July 11, 2014, 10:36pm; Reply: 4
Is anybody really surprised that the Mackems have been bellends?

It's what I always associate with that club (and their fans, especially).
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 11, 2014, 10:51pm; Reply: 5
As FFS might put it, FFS!
Posted by: GrimRob, July 12, 2014, 7:10am; Reply: 6
Portugal or Grimsby, reminds me of the Don't Forget Your Toothbrush episode
Posted by: Mariner21, July 12, 2014, 8:45am; Reply: 7
Are we playing Hull this pre season? If not why not?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 12, 2014, 11:40am; Reply: 8
Were they not supposed to be playing us in a friendly before as a payoff for nicking one of our coaches then didn't arrange it, I assumed that this one was supposed to be it as not sorted last season. Or am I totally wrong?  :-/
Posted by: davmariner, July 12, 2014, 11:43am; Reply: 9
Quoted from GrimRob
Portugal or Grimsby, reminds me of the Don't Forget Your Toothbrush episode

But it's not about a choice of either or, Rob. They took Robbie Stockdale, and the agreement was that they would send their first team across for a pre-season game to help fund our youth team.
Posted by: Meza, July 12, 2014, 1:10pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from davmariner

But it's not about a choice of either or, Rob. They took Robbie Stockdale, and the agreement was that they would send their first team across for a pre-season game to help fund our youth team.

If its not a contractual agreement then not much GTFC can do.
Posted by: JMT, July 12, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 11
So we basically gave them Stockdale for nothing in return then?
Posted by: davmariner, July 12, 2014, 2:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Meza

If its not a contractual agreement then not much GTFC can do.

Well it should have been!
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), July 12, 2014, 4:11pm; Reply: 13
Will hurst tell Sunderland to intercourse off and don't bother sending their youth team like any top self respecting manager woth his salt?
Will he intercourse he's a fanny who's lost without rob Scott.
Posted by: gary_elton, July 12, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 14
When I spoke to a pal of mine who follows Sunderland , he told me about 3 weeks
ago Sunderland would only be sending their youth team...
Posted by: rancido, July 12, 2014, 4:49pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from davmariner
Yeah we're now playing a 'Sunderland XI'. They start their pre-season tour of Portugal they day after they were supposed to play us. Another GTFC master stroke. Let our Youth team manager go in exchange for nothing.

I don't think you can blame GTFC when it is Sunderland who have reneged on the arrangement. To answer another poster , I think it would have been very difficult to pin them down to any kind of contractual agreement.
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 12, 2014, 6:53pm; Reply: 16
I would rather see the fixture scrapped completely than play sunder lands youth team with a few reserves thrown in. What are we going to learn about our squad if it goes ahead? At short notice I am sure we could hastily arrange a game, even against a championship standard full reserve side would be a better option and a sterner test. Diss appointed but no one will be interested in the Sunderland debacle any more
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 12, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from northbankmariner
       Diss appointed but no one will be interested in the Sunderland debacle any more

I have spoken to the manager of Diss and he knows nothing about a friendly at Grimsby. :P

Posted by: northbankmariner, July 12, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from grimsby pete

I have spoken to the manager of Diss and he knows nothing about a friendly at Grimsby. :P

:P bloody phone and predictive text speak lol, but pretty quick old boy.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 12, 2014, 9:58pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from davmariner

I know I was taking a light-hearted look at it from their players point of view. The first team get to go Portugal and everyone else ends up with the consolation prize of Grimsby.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 12, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from northbankmariner
I would rather see the fixture scrapped completely than play sunder lands youth team with a few reserves thrown in. What are we going to learn about our squad if it goes ahead? At short notice I am sure we could hastily arrange a game, even against a championship standard full reserve side would be a better option and a sterner test. Diss appointed but no one will be interested in the Sunderland debacle any more

I do sympathise with your point, I am playing the devil's advocate really but wasn't this League 3 idea that we basically play exactly this sort of team several times a season? If Sunderland played their first team it would be Men v Boys. The main purpose of pre-season is to give both sides a competitive game. Many of Sunderland's reserves would probably walk straght into our team.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 13, 2014, 12:50am; Reply: 21
Sunder lands youth team will prob be too good for us  :-/
Posted by: ginnywings, July 13, 2014, 6:58am; Reply: 22
It was never going to be Sunderlands first team or anything approaching it. It's all about money in the Prem and they go on Far Eastern tours nowadays so they can sell a few shirts. Nothing in it financially for them to come here and that is the bottom line, more's the pity.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), July 13, 2014, 7:29am; Reply: 23
I think it was an agreement by Di Canio who obviously left the club but you'd have thought the details would have been between the respective chief executives so it's poor from Sunderland in my opinion. That said, it's not as if they have proper stars we're going to miss out on. I agree with the concensus, tell em to shove their youth team once we've something else in place.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 13, 2014, 7:57am; Reply: 24
We can play (and beat) their first team in the 3rd Rd Replay of the FA Cup after holding them to a 0-0 draw at the Stadium of Light. Loads of money! Revenge will be sweet
Posted by: ginnywings, July 13, 2014, 8:23am; Reply: 25
Quoted from 75
I think it was an agreement by Di Canio who obviously left the club but you'd have thought the details would have been between the respective chief executives so it's poor from Sunderland in my opinion. That said, it's not as if they have proper stars we're going to miss out on. I agree with the concensus, tell em to shove their youth team once we've something else in place.

Was before Di Canio. Martin O'Neill was manager at the time i think.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 13, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete

You got in Ely with that one  :P

Just realised its in Cambridgeshire!!!!!
Posted by: grimps, July 13, 2014, 12:44pm; Reply: 27
I knew this was the case the other day as a couple of Sunderland lads I work with told me they knew nothing about this game.
I think GTFC are probably aware of this but just don't want to publicise it so it dosnt effect the gate too much.
copulated if im going to watch a load of stiffs play
Posted by: oldun, July 26, 2014, 8:32am; Reply: 28
Think about it why would Sunderland send first team players to play a game at Grimsby at this stage of pre-season. It should always gave been billed as a Sunderland XI
Posted by: Mariner21, July 26, 2014, 8:42am; Reply: 29
Prices at £10 is ridiculous. The club really are out of touch. They haven't even done kids for a quid this pre season.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 26, 2014, 9:03am; Reply: 30
The kids are our future supporters so they should have been £1 or free for all three pre-season games! There would have been a few more dads (or Mums) there if it was!  Then the kids would be pestering parents to go to league matches.

Is there anyone who can do joined up thinking at the club?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), July 26, 2014, 9:03am; Reply: 31
Quoted from oldun
Think about it why would Sunderland send first team players to play a game at Grimsby at this stage of pre-season. It should always gave been billed as a Sunderland XI

Because it was an agreement, albeit a gentleman's agreement to do so. Poor form in my opionion and reflects badly on them.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 26, 2014, 9:18am; Reply: 32
Well the 1st team squad are already in Portugal so no doubt it's just going to be their yoofs.

Quoted Text
Published: 25 July, 2014
by Stuart Vose

Players complete first training session on the Algarve.

The Sunderland squad arrived in southern Portugal on Friday afternoon to kick off their 10-day training camp on the Algarve.

After reaching the team hotel, the players were soon out on the training pitch under the watchful eye of Gus Poyet and his staff.

The team will spend the next few days training before playing their first game, against Recreativo de Huelva on Tuesday (July 29, KO 8pm) at the Estadio Municipal in Albufeira.

Take a look at some exclusive images from the first training session above.

Don't forget, you can keep bang up to date with Sunderland's trip to Portugal via the club's social media channels, safc.com and SAFSee, where we'll be bringing you daily behind-the-scenes videos.
Posted by: oldun, July 26, 2014, 10:12am; Reply: 33
Quoted from 75

Because it was an agreement, albeit a gentleman's agreement to do so. Poor form in my opionion and reflects badly on them.

How do you know it was agreed THE FIRST TEAM would play this game
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 26, 2014, 10:12am; Reply: 34
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

You got in Ely with that one  :P

Just realised its in Cambridgeshire!!!!!

Near enough but I think we should Bury this now. :)
Posted by: lobsterpot, July 26, 2014, 10:21am; Reply: 35
We might get to see the worst prem striker ever in that Graham cos' he's been left behind! And no not dilly Graham ;D
Posted by: jungleland, July 26, 2014, 2:23pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from lobsterpot
We might get to see the worst prem striker ever in that Graham cos' he's been left behind! And no not dilly Graham ;D

You can't say dilly graham
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 26, 2014, 3:43pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from jungleland

You can't say dilly graham

Why can't you say dilly graham?
Or, can't you say ex pace bowler graham dilley either?
Posted by: lobsterpot, July 26, 2014, 8:00pm; Reply: 38
I didnt say it. I typed it.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 27, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from grimsby pete

Near enough but I think we should Bury this now. :)

Is this 'cos of the March of thyme has overtaken it?
Posted by: bostonian, July 27, 2014, 1:54pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from lobsterpot

Your dream may well be realised ,  yesterday he played against Boston and scored a tap-in due to a defensive error , apart from that he did nothing .    Result 1 - 1 our goal was a Scott Garner classic  :) ,   after 90 secs .    His 3rd goal of the season .

I think Mariners fans maybe underestimating the quality of the Sunderland lads .
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 27, 2014, 2:56pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from bostonian

Your dream may well be realised ,  yesterday he played against Boston and scored a tap-in due to a defensive error , apart from that he did nothing .    Result 1 - 1 our goal was a Scott Garner classic  :) ,   after 90 secs .    His 3rd goal of the season .

I think Mariners fans maybe underestimating the quality of the Sunderland lads .

AND

The goal scoring prowess of Scott Garner. ;)
Posted by: RoboCod, July 27, 2014, 3:00pm; Reply: 42
This Scott Garner guy's making the hairs on my neck stand on end!!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 27, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from bostonian

I think Mariners fans maybe underestimating the quality of the Sunderland lads

I think you may be mis understanding our point, if we book a game with a Premiership club we would hope to get Premiership "stars"to attract a crowd, not some spotty oiks who regardless of ability we have never heard of.
Posted by: bostonian, July 27, 2014, 8:10pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from moosey_club

I think you may be mis understanding our point, if we book a game with a Premiership club we would hope to get Premiership "stars"to attract a crowd, not some spotty oiks who regardless of ability we have never heard of.

No i am not mis understanding your point ,  I too would be disappointed ahd felt let down , notwithstanding that this development team will provide a good test .
Posted by: moosey_club, July 27, 2014, 8:55pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from bostonian

No i am not mis understanding your point ,  I too would be disappointed ahd felt let down , notwithstanding that this development team will provide a good test .

I am sure it will, which may well have the following effect;
pleasing for the manager if his team gets a good work out against some capable players
not attract a crowd...already lost a couple of hundred home support from one friendly to the next....£10 for the third time in a week against a team of youths.....600 maybe?
hiding to nothing for the club whatever the result...lose - p1ss off the home support who think we should be beating a youth/development/third string side.......win - means nothing it was only a bunch of kids

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 27, 2014, 10:36pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from bostonian

Did mikeal mandron play???
Posted by: BIGChris, July 28, 2014, 4:36am; Reply: 47
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Potential loaneee???
Posted by: fiveallive, July 28, 2014, 10:39pm; Reply: 48
Seems a lanky player nothing wrong with a season long loan deal.
Posted by: bostonian, July 29, 2014, 1:08pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

NO.
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 1:45am