Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Simariner, July 18, 2014, 7:24pm
I see a couple of trialists tonight and having another look at Ironside
Posted by: Simariner, July 18, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 1
@officialgtfc: #GTFC starting XI v Matlock Town: McKeown; Bignot, Winfarrah, Magnay, Doig; Brown, Disley, Clay, Neilson; Hannah, Ironside #UTM
Posted by: GyMariner, July 18, 2014, 7:27pm; Reply: 2
Beat me to it! 433??
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 18, 2014, 7:29pm; Reply: 3
Substitutes: Pearson, Nsiala, Walker, John-Lewis, McLaughlin, Thomas, Humble & Bastock

UTM
Posted by: GyMariner, July 18, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 4
Beat me to it! 433??

Can anyone work out the formation? Unless players are playing out of position!
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 18, 2014, 7:34pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Simariner
I see a couple of trialists tonight and having another look at Ironside

Isn't it just the 2 same trialists Clay and Ironside???

Not there 2nite but Went to Harrogate and they never really stood out for me.  Especially Clay. thought Hinchliffe was much better
Posted by: oldun, July 18, 2014, 7:35pm; Reply: 6
Sounds like Disley, Clay and Brown in midfield
Ironsides, Hannah and Neilson up front.
Winfarrah left back I guess
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 18, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 7
1-0 Matlock
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 18, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 8
What time was kick off guys please.
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 18, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
What time was kick off guys please.

19-15

UTM
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 18, 2014, 7:46pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mariner tommy

19-15

UTM

Thank you
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 18, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 11
1-1
Posted by: Simariner, July 18, 2014, 8:04pm; Reply: 12
Half time and Nielson got the equaliser
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 18, 2014, 8:13pm; Reply: 13
From what I have seen and been told the two lads on trial clay and ironside are no way near an improvement on what we had.

Posted by: Simariner, July 18, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from jonnyboy82
From what I have seen and been told the two lads on trial clay and ironside are no way near an improvement on what we had.

It's starting to worry me
Posted by: Tom13, July 18, 2014, 8:25pm; Reply: 15
According to the Telegraph we're playing 4-3-1-2 with Neilson floating in behind the strikers, so not 4-3-3.
Posted by: GyMariner, July 18, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Tom13
According to the Telegraph we're playing 4-3-1-2 with Neilson floating in behind the strikers, so not 4-3-3.

I like the sound of that, it backs up what Paul hurst said on mariners player. That Neilson played very well in this free role position against Kidderminster last season when he also scored.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 18, 2014, 8:30pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Simariner

It's starting to worry me

Agree. If you are not good enough for Halifax Harrogate or Workshop then you are not good enough for us.
Craig Clay is the apparently like Jamal Fyfield but in centre mid.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 18, 2014, 8:37pm; Reply: 18
Based on the fact Hurst deemed Hinchcliffe not good enough and what I've witnessed from Clay and Ironside so far can't see either being offered anything. Think Hurst just wanted to give them a fair chance. On another note, I like the fact that Hurst is choosing pre-season to try other formations despite the fact that we are a little short on squad numbers
Posted by: oldun, July 18, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 19
If the fans see that then hopefully Paul Hurst will too, especially after his statement that he will not sign players if he is not sure.
Posted by: acko338, July 18, 2014, 8:42pm; Reply: 20
Still 1-1 ??

Changes in players for second half ?
Posted by: GyMariner, July 18, 2014, 8:46pm; Reply: 21
2-1 Matlock
Posted by: gtfc98, July 18, 2014, 9:00pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GyMariner
2-1 Matlock

Fishy goes into meltdown.
Posted by: samg, July 18, 2014, 9:02pm; Reply: 23
Pleasing to see we've improved from last season
Posted by: Abdul19, July 18, 2014, 9:02pm; Reply: 24
hursts owt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 18, 2014, 9:03pm; Reply: 25
It's disgrace losing a friendly - sack the Board, the manager and all the players
Posted by: GyMariner, July 18, 2014, 9:03pm; Reply: 26
People just don't understand, matlocks first team is obviously going to be on par/stronger than our second team.
Posted by: oldun, July 18, 2014, 9:11pm; Reply: 27
Come on guys it is not time to jump off the Humber Bridge. Mixture of players trying out a new formation. That is what pre-season is all about.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 18, 2014, 9:19pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from LondonMariner43
It's disgrace losing a friendly - sack the Board, the manager and all the players

Hopefully the irony here was obvious...
Posted by: ScottyUTM, July 18, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 29
How did the trailists play?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 18, 2014, 9:23pm; Reply: 30
It's great changing around with formations if you have skilful, intelligent players.
Posted by: samg, July 18, 2014, 9:37pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It's great changing around with formations if you have skilful, intelligent players.

Have to agree - let's be realistic surely we can assemble a second team,with the occasional first team players that can beat the likes of Matlock FC - errm well obviously not! Just starting to get a little peeved with it all now - and i do know it's just a friendly,but FFS!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 18, 2014, 9:40pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ScottyUTM
How did the trailists play?

Probably not as well as the one last week who s eems to have been too much of a footballer for us!
Posted by: Harry Haddock, July 18, 2014, 9:50pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from samg

Have to agree - let's be realistic surely we can assemble a second team,with the occasional first team players that can beat the likes of Matlock FC - errm well obviously not! Just starting to get a little peeved with it all now - and i do know it's just a friendly,but FFS!

Obviously you don't realise its a friendly or you wouldn't be getting peeved off
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 18, 2014, 9:52pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Probably not as well as the one last week who s eems to have been too much of a footballer for us!

Not what Paul was looking for as he could play football.

A lad deemed not good enough for harrogate and one not deemed good enough for worksop will do the trick though eh.

Baffling.
Posted by: samg, July 18, 2014, 10:03pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Harry Haddock

Obviously you don't realise its a friendly or you wouldn't be getting peeved off

Obviously i realise it's a friendly,but surely if we're to gain promotion from this league we must by now be able to put a team of occasional first team players out that can gain match sharpness/fitness that can beat teams of this calibre - but for whatever reason we can't,so for the forthcoming season i feel we'll be languishing mid-table unless we start being ambitious and get the players out there that are available to us
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 18, 2014, 10:07pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Not what Paul was looking for as he could play football.

A lad deemed not good enough for harrogate and one not deemed good enough for worksop will do the trick though eh.

Baffling.

Agree
Posted by: denni266, July 18, 2014, 10:09pm; Reply: 37
No such thing as a friendly,, you play to win  end of, , agreed we are short of a real first team in numbers to choose from, but we are a full time pro club  and should be able to beat teams  from leagues below us,, This may be a kick up the rear end that Mr Hurst needs,
Posted by: Meza, July 19, 2014, 10:33am; Reply: 38
Everybody loses friendlies, Donny lost to Lincoln 2-0 then Lincoln lose to Basford Utd 4-3
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 19, 2014, 10:35am; Reply: 39
It's really no big deal losing a friendly, the serious stuff starts in three weeks.

UTM
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 19, 2014, 11:06am; Reply: 40
Anyone remember the seasons when we beat Wednesdays first team and beat Winterton 12-1? They went well for us...
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 19, 2014, 11:46am; Reply: 41
Quoted from 1739
Anyone remember the seasons when we beat Wednesdays first team and beat Winterton 12-1? They went well for us...

JLAA scored 4 that day including 2 absolute pearlers. The season we were relegated IIRC.  ??)

Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 19, 2014, 11:53am; Reply: 42
Quoted from mariner tommy
It's really no big deal losing a friendly, the serious stuff starts in three weeks.

UTM

Exactly Tommy, didn't we beat Hull in a friendly last season iirc?
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 19, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Exactly Tommy, didn't we beat Hull in a friendly last season iirc?

I thought it was 0-0 Chris, but I may be wrong.

UTM
Posted by: RoboCod, July 19, 2014, 1:16pm; Reply: 44
Not too concerned on the result but a little dismayed that we've already conceded a wonder goal from a poor player (Hutchinson) who'll not manage it again in his career the whole of the coming season :-/
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 19, 2014, 1:31pm; Reply: 45
It is said each year (so there must be some truth in it) that teams that do well in pre-season friendlies do poorly when the league games starts. And vice versa.  

The results of friendlies are no guide to league form - for the majority of teams.  
Posted by: lobsterpot, July 19, 2014, 2:40pm; Reply: 46
I was at Matlock last night so here is a quick summary.
The ground was a very tidy set up with a beautiful backdrop of the Dales behind 1 of the goals. The club house was very smart and easy to get served. The pie shop ran out of hot food after 20 minutes because they didnt expect anyone from GY to turn up! It was a lovely warm evening to sit on the old school paddock  and sip ale. The Gladiators 1st goal was a fantastic curling effort past Macca into the top corner. Nielsens goal was well taken, as he was being dragged down 1 on 1 by a defender. He still managed to round the keeper with the defender hanging onto his shirt and slot home. Their winner was crossed in to an unmarked fella at the back post who completly scuffed his volley but it jammyly controlled underneath his foot and so he spun and put it away as Bostock had dived for the original effort. Scotty Brown was again the stand out player. Ironside had his best game out of the 3 played so far but was still way below standard. Dizza went off with an injury again. Aswad was cack. Maggers got forward when he got the chance and was always around to challenge the keeper on corners. Mackreth only played for the last 20 mins but did skin his man for a superb cross that the shop duly wasted. Our youngsters again played well and i would not hesitate in calling upon any of them!
Let's be realistic folks, these guys beat Sheff Wed 3-1 a few days ago!
Posted by: RoboCod, July 19, 2014, 2:56pm; Reply: 47
Good write up Mr Pot.
Posted by: rancido, July 19, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from lobsterpot
I was at Matlock last night so here is a quick summary.
The ground was a very tidy set up with a beautiful backdrop of the Dales behind 1 of the goals. The club house was very smart and easy to get served. The pie shop ran out of hot food after 20 minutes because they didnt expect anyone from GY to turn up! It was a lovely warm evening to sit on the old school paddock  and sip ale. The Gladiators 1st goal was a fantastic curling effort past Macca into the top corner. Nielsens goal was well taken, as he was being dragged down 1 on 1 by a defender. He still managed to round the keeper with the defender hanging onto his shirt and slot home. Their winner was crossed in to an unmarked fella at the back post who completly scuffed his volley but it jammyly controlled underneath his foot and so he spun and put it away as Bostock had dived for the original effort. Scotty Brown was again the stand out player. Ironside had his best game out of the 3 played so far but was still way below standard. Dizza went off with an injury again. Aswad was cack. Maggers got forward when he got the chance and was always around to challenge the keeper on corners. Mackreth only played for the last 20 mins but did skin his man for a superb cross that the shop duly wasted. Our youngsters again played well and i would not hesitate in calling upon any of them!
Let's be realistic folks, these guys beat Sheff Wed 3-1 a few days ago!

So based on that the Sheffield Wedneday message board will be full of suicidal fans who predict doom and disaster in the forthcoming season? ;)
Posted by: Maringer, July 19, 2014, 5:37pm; Reply: 49
Nah - they are too massive to worry about that sort of thing.
Posted by: barralad, July 19, 2014, 11:02pm; Reply: 50
Managed to see the first half last night (Don't ask!). The middle-aged Matlock fan sat three along from me asked who our number 9 was (after he'd failed to beat the keeper in virtual one on ones for the third time). When told it was Ironside he said we'd be better off with Detective Ironside complete with wheelchair. (You do have to be a certain age to appreciate that comment.....)

First impressions:- Brown looks the business. Plenty of running, good tackling and decent passing on display...

The scorer of their first goal will NEVER score that good a goal again if he lives to be 100. Our new found Matlock friend nearly had a coronary...

Neilson took his goal very well.

We still don't shoot anywhere near often enough for me...

Very few crosses put into the box...

*Disclaimer* I didn't see Mackreth's stint so that may not be the case for the full game.

Agree with those who said it was a lovely ground. Far better IMHO than several of the teams in our league i.e. Welling, Braintree, Alfreton..
Posted by: nickmariners, July 19, 2014, 11:16pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from barralad
Managed to see the first half last night (Don't ask!). The middle-aged Matlock fan sat three along from me asked who our number 9 was (after he'd failed to beat the keeper in virtual one on ones for the third time). When told it was Ironside he said we'd be better off with Detective Ironside complete with wheelchair. (You do have to be a certain age to appreciate that comment.....)

First impressions:- Brown looks the business. Plenty of running, good tackling and decent passing on display...

The scorer of their first goal will NEVER score that good a goal again if he lives to be 100. Our new found Matlock friend nearly had a coronary...

Neilson took his goal very well.

We still don't shoot anywhere near often enough for me...

Very few crosses put into the box...

*Disclaimer* I didn't see Mackreth's stint so that may not be the case for the full game.

Agree with those who said it was a lovely ground. Far better IMHO than several of the teams in our league i.e. Welling, Braintree, Alfreton..

You could have kept the telly banter going + told him "well I came to Matlock under the impression it was a 1980s US drama about a campaigning attorney. And turns out it's just a tiny town up a hill in the midlands".

int that right, Kojak m8?

Posted by: barralad, July 19, 2014, 11:22pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from nickmariners

You could have kept the telly banter going + told him "well I came to Matlock under the impression it was a 1980s US drama about a campaigning attorney. And turns out it's just a tiny town up a hill in the midlands".

int that right, Kojak m8?

Well over my head never mind his....
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 3:57pm