Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MrsMariner, July 22, 2014, 5:05pm

Just wondered what everyones expectations are for the start of the season based on the fixtures we've been given & the fact that were missing Neilson, Pearson, & Toto for 3,2 & 1 games respectively.
It's so important we get off to a good start something we dont seem to have been able to do in this league, will a repeat of last seasons 10 points from the first 6 games be classed as good enough bearing in mind we will be fielding a weakened side for the first 3 games or do we have stronger squad this time around. UTM
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 22, 2014, 5:20pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from MrsMariner

Just wondered what everyones expectations are for the start of the season based on the fixtures we've been given & the fact that were missing Neilson, Pearson, & Toto for 3,2 & 1 games respectively.
It's so important we get off to a good start something we dont seem to have been able to do in this league, will a repeat of last seasons 10 points from the first 6 games be classed as good enough bearing in mind we will be fielding a weakened side for the first 3 games or do we have stronger squad this time around. UTM

Good thread MrsMariner, I feel that expectations will be high again this season and hopefully we go up as champions.  With key players out for the first few games it won't give us a true idea of where we will find ourselves come the business end of the season.  How often have we seen a team run away with it up until Christmas then either go up as play off winners or drop off enough for their season to dry up.

This season I believe we have the sort of midfield we all have been crying out for and if they protect the defence then I struggle to see anyone beating us.  I am yet to be convinced we will do enough up top so we could either see a few games won by the odd goal and quite a few draws.
Posted by: oldun, July 22, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 2
Yes everyone likes their team to get off to a flyer  but that does not necessarily mean promotion. Last years runaway winners, Luton were in the bottom half of the table early on. I remember we won away at Crawley in an opening day fixture and they went on to storm the league. As for this season, obviously the first game is difficult because of the suspensions and Bristol will be a bit of an unknown quantity. If can get at least a point that will be fine as it will be a tricky fixture out of the way. I would like to see better results at home than last season and this could be the key to where we end up. I will be happy if we are in the top 8 after 10 games, top 5 by Christmas and hit the top by Easter.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 22, 2014, 5:30pm; Reply: 3
Less worried about how we start than how we finish. I just hope that we don't stutter after Christmas as we have done in the last two seasons. If my memory serves me right, several players tweeted that the Huddersfield game was a platform to kick on from - in fact, it turned out to be the exact opposite.

Whether you blame the trophy, the cup or the transfer window, the last two seasons have both finished disappointingly and I hope that history doesn't repeat itself again.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 22, 2014, 5:32pm; Reply: 4
I am confident we will get the play-offs but to win the league I don't think we have enough upfront. Unless we pay a fee for a striker I can't see us signing a player who is capable of scoring 20+ goals who has pace and power to his game as well. The next 3 signings will make my opinion on whether we will challenge for the league or challenge for a play-off spot.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 22, 2014, 5:48pm; Reply: 5
We will start slow,

Make a bit of headway by the New Year,

Then run away with from all the also rans,

Winning the league by 6 points,

Well I can dream can't   I, :)
Posted by: MrsMariner, July 22, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 6

I would like to see us with 12 points from the first 6 games but realistically I see us with 9 any less & I'll be worried & the doom & gloom merchants will be out calling for Hurst's head.
Posted by: TAGG, July 22, 2014, 6:32pm; Reply: 7
Lack of another striker worries me. If we don't get a top bloke up front we will end up mid table. Hope I'm wrong though UTM
Posted by: Freemoash88, July 22, 2014, 6:34pm; Reply: 8
Its not a race its a marathon and if we start slow who cares aslong as we are there come end of the seasons thats what counts!
Posted by: mariner91, July 22, 2014, 6:57pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from TAGG
Lack of another striker worries me. If we don't get a top bloke up front we will end up mid table. Hope I'm wrong though UTM

Don't think we'd end up mid table but we'd be looking at fighting to be getting in the play offs possibly as opposed to challenging for the title which is where we all want to be.
Posted by: chaos33, July 22, 2014, 7:59pm; Reply: 10
We'll do what we always do
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, July 22, 2014, 8:11pm; Reply: 11
Top half we need a couple of decent strikers and more quality in middle to get play offs or champions for me
Posted by: Perkins, July 23, 2014, 8:12am; Reply: 12
I fully expect us to be 12 points clear by Christmas, due mainly to the 15 goals LJL has screamed into the net. I also expect to be completely off my medication by then and have been released back into the community.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 23, 2014, 9:25am; Reply: 13
FGR won 8-0 first game last season...
Posted by: mariner91, July 23, 2014, 9:37am; Reply: 14
Town won 12-1 in pre-season when we went down.
Posted by: Garth, July 23, 2014, 9:42am; Reply: 15
At least play offs, on last nights showing if Doncaster were in this league they would walk it, the only difference that mattered between the two teams last night was movement off the ball and clinical finishing, obviously they were playing a stronger team than when Lincoln beat them (I hope) ;D
Posted by: Grimal, July 23, 2014, 11:10am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

And look where they ended up at end of season.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 23, 2014, 11:14am; Reply: 17
I expect moaning on here along with an undercurrent of witty banter and optimism
Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 23, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 18
Provided we don't lose at Bristol first match (with a slightly suspect defence) I expect us to win the league undefeated,
scoring around 111 goals in the process.

Will settle for promotion any which way we can get it, though.  :)
Posted by: Abdul19, July 23, 2014, 12:02pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

It was an accurate indicator for their opponent though!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 23, 2014, 1:08pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Grimal

And look where they ended up at end of season.

that was my point :)
Posted by: GrimRob, July 23, 2014, 1:11pm; Reply: 21
I'd be happy with another fourth place finish. I'd take that every year.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 23, 2014, 1:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GrimRob
I'd be happy with another fourth place finish. I'd take that every year.

i agree ! sometimes people forget there is only 1 automatic place in this divison
Posted by: moosey_club, July 23, 2014, 2:01pm; Reply: 23
Start of the season expectations are currently low....suspensions and cover for those areas not good enough...Doig and Magnay ..with no other defenders likely to be recruited i dont fancy that pairing.
As for the rest of the season then until we have a full contingent of players i wouldnt like to predict, the most eye catching players of last night, Arnold, Neilson, Mackreth are likely to be fighting for the same positions unless a change in formation is deployed, and we dont have a threatening striker as yet, Hurst needs to discover the formula in these remaining friendlies and get that striker on board pronto.
Pessimists can already see a loss to Mansfield on Friday with Hearn smashing a couple in.

A slow start will produce a dismal atmosphere and increase the unemployment figures by at least 1 by December.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 11:41pm