Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 24, 2014, 5:36pm
Been told we are talking to this lad about a move here, he's a striker.

Scored a few for the gimps a couple seasons ago.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 24, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 1
http://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/football/shakers/shakersupdates/11365075.Bury_release_Cheltenham_target_Ashley_Grimes/?ref=var_0

interesting !
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 24, 2014, 5:52pm; Reply: 2
Played 18 games in total for Bury last season and scored no goals whatsoever...  :-/
Posted by: gtfc98, July 24, 2014, 5:53pm; Reply: 3
Did really well for Lincoln in league 2
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 24, 2014, 5:54pm; Reply: 4
When I first saw this thread I thought ,blimey he must be getting on a bit by now,

Then saw it wasn't the ex Man Utd player, :B

Well this Ashley could be a useful addition.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 24, 2014, 5:56pm; Reply: 5
He's got a great name too! ;D
Posted by: mariner91, July 24, 2014, 5:56pm; Reply: 6
Lincoln fans absolutely loved him.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 24, 2014, 6:16pm; Reply: 7
35 goals in 90 starts according to soccer base in which half of them starts where at league 1 level.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 24, 2014, 6:21pm; Reply: 8
Attacking Midfielder / Striker h'mmm  :)

Some thick idiot messed his wikipedia site up a few weeks ago, i'll fix it in abit...
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, July 24, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 9
Cheltenham and oxford were after him apparently. Got transfer listed and had a year left on his contract at bury and has just left so guessing someone is about to announce his signing very soon.
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 24, 2014, 6:28pm; Reply: 10
Might be doing the lad an injustice here, but do we really need a striker who didn't score at all last season?
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, July 24, 2014, 6:32pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from northbankmariner
Might be doing the lad an injustice here, but do we really need a striker who didn't score at all last season?

Everybody has off season's. And not every club fits everybodys style of play. Didn't get many starts last season by the sounds of it too. Judging by his record at other clubs there is defo a player there. And one that has goals him in too.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 24, 2014, 6:35pm; Reply: 12
I'd rather have him than Pitman who has only started 2 games in 3 seasons.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, July 24, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 1739
I'd rather have him than Pitman who has only started 2 games in 3 seasons.

Pitman played 11 times last season for wycombe according to wiki. I would take a chance on pitman and Grimes.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 24, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Lanchashire Telegraph | Posted: 11th July 2014
Bury midfielder Ashley Grimes has been linked with a move to the U’s, but Appleton said: “I’m aware of him and know he’s a decent player, but as of yet I’ve not had a discussion with anyone about him.”
Link >> [url=http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11334051.Oxford_boss_Appleton_targets_minimum_of_four_new_signings/]http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11334051.Oxford_boss_Appleton_targets_minimum_of_four_new_signings/[/url]
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 24, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 15

Pitman played 11 times last season for wycombe according to wiki. I would take a chance on pitman and Grimes.

9 of them were from the bench though.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, July 24, 2014, 6:50pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from 1739

9 of them were from the bench though.

Oh I see. Still think he is worth a chance if he can prove his fitness. Reckon he would be a quality player in this league.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 24, 2014, 6:58pm; Reply: 17
For what it's worth, fixed his wikipedia. :P
Posted by: acko338, July 24, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 18
I am getting an impression that Hurst feels that Disley alone cannot rule midfield and wants some strength and extra pace around Disley to take pressure off him and prevent injuries.

I am also thinking that if Grimes is a new target, then he could perhaps be a better bet than Clay, and Ironside may come in as a support player with a hope of further development.

If Pittman will stay for the Mansfield game and make a showing, then that could again be the more expensive striker contract.

Could the thought be to settle for 5 or 6 players all achieving 10 to 15 goals each, rather than the sole 20 goals + striker we thought would be a target??

Has anyone any news of potential new trialists tomorrow night??
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 24, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from acko338
I am getting an impression that Hurst feels that Disley alone cannot rule midfield and wants some strength and extra pace around Disley to take pressure off him and prevent injuries.

I am also thinking that if Grimes is a new target, then he could perhaps be a better bet than Clay, and Ironside may come in as a support player with a hope of further development.

If Pittman will stay for the Mansfield game and make a showing, then that could again be the more expensive striker contract.

Could the thought be to settle for 5 or 6 players all achieving 10 to 15 goals each, rather than the sole 20 goals + striker we thought would be a target??

Has anyone any news of potential new trialists tomorrow night??

Grimes isn't a central midfielder, he's a striker.

Looking at his record (bar last season) he'd be a very good signing.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 24, 2014, 7:38pm; Reply: 20

Not at all, we supply our own  ;)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 24, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 21
[youtube]sJMtRSZGRhc[/youtube]
Posted by: Abdul19, July 24, 2014, 7:45pm; Reply: 22

He only started 6 league games though.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), July 24, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 23
Football Manager legend, almost a Cherno Samba!
Posted by: brad_gtfc, July 24, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 24
Get him signed.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 24, 2014, 9:14pm; Reply: 25
He would be a smashing signing.
Posted by: ScottyUTM, July 24, 2014, 9:23pm; Reply: 26
All his goals have been at a higher level, he might thrive in this league
Posted by: acko338, July 24, 2014, 9:24pm; Reply: 27
Do we have a solid source in regard to being interested in Ashley Grimes , now that we are whipping up frantic information & video clips of goals scored in his career??

Another league rough diamond who could potentially, like Pittman if signed, produce Connell-like quantities of goals this season?
Posted by: Tom13, July 24, 2014, 9:45pm; Reply: 28
IF we signed him, does it not remind anyone of Luton's signing of Benson last year? Clearly a proven Football League player but has dropped down to the Conference anyway.

(I appreciate it certainly seems unlikely judging from his pedigree and his record!)
Posted by: forza ivano, July 24, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 29
Sounds like he had a problem with fitness levels last season.is he another neilson type character? Seem to remember him attracting a lot of attention from good clubs when he was at Lincoln
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 24, 2014, 10:05pm; Reply: 30
Flitcroft added: “He is as fit as I have ever seen him. We have got him in good nick. He has not missed a day’s training.

“Cheltenham had a sniff at him and that fell by the wayside. We actually thought that was going to get done and then it wasn’t.

“I tried to get him involved last season a bit more and I think because of his conditioning and where he was at he wasn’t able to fulfil what I thought Ash could do.

“But he has been through all the sessions this summer and he is in a good place so Ash is with us.”
Posted by: moosey_club, July 24, 2014, 10:05pm; Reply: 31
By total chance i saw him play two weeks ago while working up that way.....he is the size of a house now which may explain why he is falling down a bit....totally unfit...think Matt Rheed's and Mr McNulty's b@st@rd threesome lovechild with SuBo...embarrassing for a professional sportsman.....completely ignore any previous goal scoring feats or footage...definately a no from me*

*Total bull sh1t but just in case he is any good we arent supposed to advertise potential players on here anymore are we?  ;)
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, July 24, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 32
Going to walsall apparently
Posted by: davmariner, July 24, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 33
Yes, he's going to Walsall his brother is saying.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 24, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from moosey_club
think Matt Rheed's and Mr McNulty's b@st@rd threesome lovechild with SuBo

;D ;D
Posted by: Garth, July 24, 2014, 11:15pm; Reply: 35
Going to walsall apparently

Well it created a few posts while it lasted ;D
Posted by: Meza, July 25, 2014, 12:50am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Garth

Well it created a few posts while it lasted ;D

I know we shouldn't take any notice but a negative cross for what exactly.   Maybe we can add the user who gave you the tick or cross like before.   There are some strange posters on this forum lol.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, July 25, 2014, 12:51am; Reply: 37
was half decent at MUFC and Luton, but will be mid fifties now?
Posted by: Garth, July 25, 2014, 9:23am; Reply: 38
Ashley Grimes to Grimsby

Line drawn under
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 25, 2014, 12:34pm; Reply: 39
Yeah signed for Walsall >> [url=http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/ashley-grimes-signs-july-2014-1781602.aspx]http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/ashley-grimes-signs-july-2014-1781602.aspx[/url]
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 4:45am