Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: denni266, July 28, 2014, 2:47pm
Cant believe Hurst has wasted money on signing Clay, imo Hurst should have gone months ago ,  Cannot believe he has been backed in this signing. No wonder we are non league
Posted by: RoboCod, July 28, 2014, 2:48pm; Reply: 1
You've just said that on the other thread.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, July 28, 2014, 2:48pm; Reply: 2
Clay wasn't intended to be a key player. he's here because Thanoj didn't sign. Hurst probably sees a decent work-rate and professional attitude that he can work with.

John Fenty might make some strange decisions and behave bizarrely for a club representative, but atleast he doesn't slate players who have just signed.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2014, 2:50pm; Reply: 3
disgusting from a so called fan, yeah maybe you dont like what you've seen from clay, but jesus christ he's a town player and you should get behind him for the sake of the team
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 28, 2014, 2:57pm; Reply: 4
I've sent my season ticket back.

Christ almighty!  He's a back-up player, probably on £200 a week.  Hurst has got any two of Disley, Paddy Mac and Brown as his first pairing so needs a little bit of back-up on the cheap.  Who did you have in mind, Frank Lampard?
Posted by: denni266, July 28, 2014, 2:59pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Hagrid
disgusting from a so called fan, yeah maybe you dont like what you've seen from clay, but jesus christ he's a town player and you should get behind him for the sake of the team

Just totally sick of seeing my home club. what i have been supporting for 50 yrs now,, go down the pan with bad signings and decisions.. seem to remember that when poojah made his famous speech you all agreed with him . too many people are willing to accept poor standards  , i wont and wont be bullied in to doing so
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 28, 2014, 3:00pm; Reply: 6
He's still a young kid, Doig and Hurst must see something in him, Disley and Brown will be first choice anyway probally and Paddy Mclaughlin ahead of him, so plenty of time for him to gell with the players and hopefully develop.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2014, 3:03pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
He's still a young kid, Doig and Hurst must see something in him, Disley and Brown will be first choice anyway probally and Paddy Mclaughlin ahead of him, so plenty of time for him to gell with the players and hopefully develop.

ye maybe paul and doig should give the worksop manager a ring to see why they decided he was excrement too.

Posted by: davmariner, July 28, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 8
I'd imagine he'd be on similar wages to Thanoj. Hopefully we've saved a bit of money and can push the boat out and sign that goalscorer.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2014, 3:10pm; Reply: 9
[quote=475]I'd imagine he'd be on similar wages to Thanoj. Hopefully we've saved a bit of money and can push the boat out and sign that goalscorer. [/quote

he makes thanoj look like xavi.

as for the goalscorer ...intercourse knows.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 28, 2014, 3:10pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from denni266

Just totally sick of seeing my home club. what i have been supporting for 50 yrs now,, go down the pan with bad signings and decisions.. seem to remember that when poojah made his famous speech you all agreed with him . too many people are willing to accept poor standards  , i wont and wont be bullied in to doing so

That was based on things that had happened/were happening, not guesswork on things that could happen.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 28, 2014, 3:13pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jonnyboy82

ye maybe paul and doig should give the worksop manager a ring to see why they decided he was excrement too.

And Halifax and Barrow. Then again Niven looked awful but we realised how valuable to the team he was gone.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2014, 3:16pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from denni266

QUOTE  From  somebody, I have forgot his name,  " If you don't fecking like it, don't fecking come "

Come back when we are top of the league and say sorry to Paul. :P
Posted by: cannylad68, July 28, 2014, 3:21pm; Reply: 13

Christ almighty!  He's a back-up player, probably on £200 a week.  Hurst has got any two of Disley, Paddy Mac and Brown as his first pairing so needs a little bit of back-up on the cheap.  Who did you have in mind, Frank Lampard?[/quote]

If he has been signed as a back up player after the 3 players you have mentioned, surely a youth player should be given a chance.
I remember Angus Davidson being thrown in at the deep end and at short notice at a young age, and he didn't do so bad.
Posted by: Garth, July 28, 2014, 3:23pm; Reply: 14
I will be glad when the season starts and we can all have opinions on what we see rather than what we think we might see, just saying like cos I`m no different
Posted by: denni266, July 28, 2014, 3:25pm; Reply: 15
i would gladly Pete. but only if them that say am wrong will say that i was right
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2014, 3:30pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from cannylad68

If he has been signed as a back up player after the 3 players you have mentioned, surely a youth player should be given a chance.
I remember Angus Davidson being thrown in at the deep end and at short notice at a young age, and he didn't do so bad.

WHAT !!!!!!   He ended up at Scunthorpe  ;D ;D
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, July 28, 2014, 3:33pm; Reply: 17
Whilst I wasn't impressed when I saw Clay at Harrogate I do think we should get behind him. He is now a Town player and as fans we should back our players regardless. We are all going to disagree on whether someone is great or not but we have one common aim as fans to back our team. The players have a duty to fans to try 100% in every game.
If I was a player reading the comments on here I wouldn't bother because I am getting slated regardless.
We need to all get behind the team and get out of this crap league. UTM
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 28, 2014, 3:34pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Really, I beg to differ...
Quoted from Worksop Guardian | 19th June 2014
“Players are waiting for me to give them the okay on finances, players like Alex Pursehouse, Jon Stewart, Craig Clay, Nicky Travis, Jack Barnett – players better than you’d expect at the level we’re going into.
Worksop didn't have the finances at the time, and well Grimsby are a bigger club >> [url=http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/sport/local-sport/shaw-can-t-sign-players-until-money-comes-in-1-6682631]http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/sport/local-sport/shaw-can-t-sign-players-until-money-comes-in-1-6682631[/url]
Posted by: lobsterpot, July 28, 2014, 3:59pm; Reply: 19
From what i have seen pre season, Pittman looks like he cant be arsed already and Clay doesnt look like anything that is remotely near good enough. Saying that, the club must know better than i do and its an extra 2 bodies so i will back them to the hilt aslong as they wear the famous black and white stripes. They may be lacking match fitness, they may need to fit into the surroundings, they may have been out of their depth vs bigger and better teams in the friendlies. Im sick and tired of seeing peeps mention how Rob Jones and big Clayts started life with us but they blossomed after that as far as im concerned. I also think that Paddy is $hite but he played like a world beater when up against a challenge VS Northampton so give them a chance guys. Cant wait to see the banners and flags with derogatory abuse with their names on you mardy bunch of barstewards >:(
Posted by: forza ivano, July 28, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 20

From what i have seen pre season, Pittman looks like he cant be arsed already

That flies in the face of what every other poster on here has said about Pittman.
it also contradicts what i was told about pittman, from someone who has played with him for several years, and whose opinion i would trust implicitly
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2014, 4:34pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from forza ivano

From what i have seen pre season, Pittman looks like he cant be arsed already

That flies in the face of what every other poster on here has said about Pittman.
it also contradicts what i was told about pittman, from someone who has played with him for several years, and whose opinion i would trust implicitly

pittman will be a quality striker in this league.

Posted by: cannylad68, July 28, 2014, 4:35pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete

WHAT !!!!!!   He ended up at Scunthorpe  ;D ;D

At the end of a very decent career.
Posted by: Vance Warner, July 28, 2014, 4:38pm; Reply: 23
Some people need a dose of reality. People were complaining that we hadn't signed anyone for a while, now they are complaining that we have. People were slagging off Jennings when it looked like we might sign him and are singing his praises now he's at Wrexham. Can't see a problem with signing a 22 year old on low wages for a year - not much to lose. The bottom line is we have one of the best squads in the division on paper so lets see what happens and get behind them. Classic GY mentality = only happy when moaning about something.
Posted by: oldun, July 28, 2014, 4:47pm; Reply: 24
It is not necessarily a case of "slagging players off" as you put it. I have nothing against any of them personally, but I do have an opinion from a footballing point of view and I feel free to express my disappointment at the signings. However now they are with us I will not hurl abuse at any of them. I hope they turn out to be good for us. Paul has made his decision and it is up to him and his colleagues to get the best out of them. I wish them well.
Posted by: lobsterpot, July 28, 2014, 4:51pm; Reply: 25
Forza, again, in my opinion, the main thing i noticed about our strike force VS Donny was that Lenny was here, there and everywhere and Pittman was always stood jockeying on the halfway line. I can honestly only remember him going at it once at the near post and the defender getting a block in for a corner. I am not lieing. Nor am i making it up, It happened and i can only apologise if my comments do not meet with whatever the next bloke is saying.
Posted by: Grimal, July 28, 2014, 5:12pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Can you show us where the Worksop manager decided he is sh1te. Perhaps just didn't fit in to his plans.I will say though Clay is a young lad and he did show improvement in the game against Mansfield.Give the lad a chance. I'm happy with the Pittman signing.

Posted by: TonySmith, July 28, 2014, 5:19pm; Reply: 27
Seriously, slagging off new signings before the season starts and a single ball has been kicked that counts for anything?! Welcome to Grimsby, boys.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 28, 2014, 5:25pm; Reply: 28
I'll wait till I've seen him play before I pass judgement - as should everyone else!
Posted by: Youngy, July 28, 2014, 5:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from denni266
Cant believe Hurst has wasted money on signing Clay, imo Hurst should have gone months ago ,  Cannot believe he has been backed in this signing. No wonder we are non league

So let me get this straight, lets ignore he's signed exciting players like Toto, Mackreth, Arnold and Brown and crucify the manager for making ONE signing who you don't really agree with?

Get a grip mate
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 28, 2014, 5:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Grimal

Can you show us where the Worksop manager decided he is sh1te. Perhaps just didn't fit in to his plans.I will say though Clay is a young lad and he did show improvement in the game against Mansfield.Give the lad a chance. I'm happy with the Pittman signing.

Sorry but I beg to differ, he went off at half time and was replaced by Disley, that's when the improvement came.

UTM
Posted by: forza ivano, July 28, 2014, 5:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from jonnyboy82

just shows that maybe you should engage brain before opening mouth . here is a couple of quotes from mark shaw, who is the workop manager,
'Against Skelmersdale I thought we were in control until Craig Clay went off injured', which tends to suggest he was quite an influential player

Players are waiting for me to give them the okay on finances, players like Alex Pursehouse, Jon Stewart, Craig Clay, Nicky Travis, Jack Barnett – players better than you’d expect at the level we’re going into.”
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 28, 2014, 5:38pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from TonySmith
Seriously, slagging off new signings before the season starts and a single ball has been kicked that counts for anything?! Welcome to Grimsby, boys.

But he has kicked the ball several times in 4 matches now for us, and although I have not seen him virtually every one that has (inc fans at former clubs) says he is not good enough. So I don't understand why he was signed. They may as well have kept Charlesworth on for another year, at least he was a local lad has more time to improve, and he certainly did ok  on his odd appearances for us as a back up to the backups. :(
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from cannylad68

At the end of a very decent career.

He had a few good years at Scunny,

My quote was meant to be a joke !
Posted by: LH, July 28, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 34
Welcome to GTFC, ya excrement illegitimates!

How many of the above whingers have ever said we have the best fans in non league I wonder...
Posted by: Caesar, July 28, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Hagrid

THIS a few hundred times!

Seriously a player has signed and your first reaction is to lay into our manager for the signing and slag the player off! Don't pretend the original post was fair criticism, it is borderline trolling and the kind of reaction that makes me think John Fenty (aka get your facts right) is correct in saying negative fan reaction has an effect on signings.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 28, 2014, 5:44pm; Reply: 36
not true to say that nobody else has rated him .her's a long thread from chesterfield fans from about 18 months ago

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=42639&st=0

positive comments from john sheridan in there as well. maybe it's a confidence thing with clay;doesn't seem to have been given much of a chance elsewhere. not saying he's a world beater but the positive comments in that thread seem to suggest that there's a decent player in there somewhere
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 28, 2014, 5:45pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Vance Warner
Some people need a dose of reality. People were complaining that we hadn't signed anyone for a while, now they are complaining that we have. People were slagging off Jennings when it looked like we might sign him and are singing his praises now he's at Wrexham. Can't see a problem with signing a 22 year old on low wages for a year - not much to lose. The bottom line is we have one of the best squads in the division on paper so lets see what happens and get behind them. Classic GY mentality = only happy when moaning about something.

Are you suggesting people should be happy no matter what we sign and just get on with it? From what I can see on here from the last few years, is the 'negative' posters very very often being proven right. Now ask yourself, are they being negative because they want something to moan at? Or are they being negative because they love the club and see some really stupid decisions being made.

Just because they support the club, doesn't mean they don't have a right to question a decision whether it be on the pitch or off the pitch, that they believe isn't right? Questioning decisions is far too seen as 'negative' and never seen for what it usually is, a want for us to improve.

I personally don't believe Hurst's signings or tactics will ever take us up. Does that mean I will stop travelling 400 miles in a round trip for a home game? Or not vocally support the side? Not a chance. Or by not being happy with our signings, is that a personal attack on the players themselves? No, it's more of a gripe with Hurst himself who since taking the reins on his own has done more bad than good in the transfer market.
Posted by: Garth, July 28, 2014, 5:55pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from forza ivano
not true to say that nobody else has rated him .her's a long thread from chesterfield fans from about 18 months ago

positive comments from john sheridan in there as well. maybe it's a confidence thing with clay;doesn't seem to have been given much of a chance elsewhere. not saying he's a world beater but the positive comments in that thread seem to suggest that there's a decent player in there somewhere

Perhaps we have not seen the best of him yet, according to that thread
Posted by: TonySmith, July 28, 2014, 5:58pm; Reply: 39

I know this link is 18 months old, but everyone should read through it. It might even make you think that perhaps Paul Hurst knows what he's doing!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2014, 6:01pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from forza ivano

just shows that maybe you should engage brain before opening mouth . here is a couple of quotes from mark shaw, who is the workop manager,
'Against Skelmersdale I thought we were in control until Craig Clay went off injured', which tends to suggest he was quite an influential player

Players are waiting for me to give them the okay on finances, players like Alex Pursehouse, Jon Stewart, Craig Clay, Nicky Travis, Jack Barnett – players better than you’d expect at the level we’re going into.”

Against skelmersdale !

Yes he might have been influential.

You have your opinion I have mine the difference is you think yours has the moral high ground and is more important.
Posted by: Grimal, July 28, 2014, 6:07pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from mariner tommy

Sorry but I beg to differ, he went off at half time and was replaced by Disley, that's when the improvement came.

UTM

Read my post again MarinerTommy and then reply to what I stated.

Posted by: Vance Warner, July 28, 2014, 6:07pm; Reply: 42
Are you suggesting people should be happy no matter what we sign and just get on with it? - No you don't have to be happy but you don't have to start a thread entitled 'Absolutely shocking' either. I can't understand how anyone can be so annoyed with signing a player who is 22 and has only made a few pre season appearances.

Now ask yourself, are they being negative because they want something to moan at? It would seem so in a lot of cases.

Just because they support the club, doesn't mean they don't have a right to question a decision whether it be on the pitch or off the pitch, that they believe isn't right? Questioning decisions is far too seen as 'negative' and never seen for what it usually is, a want for us to improve. How is a thread entitled 'absolutely shocking' about two unproven players going to help us improve?

I personally don't believe Hurst's signings or tactics will ever take us up. Does that mean I will stop travelling 400 miles in a round trip for a home game? Or not vocally support the side? Not a chance. Or by not being happy with our signings, is that a personal attack on the players themselves? When you post it on an internet message board and question their ability to do their job then yes it is.

No, it's more of a gripe with Hurst himself who since taking the reins on his own has done more bad than good in the transfer market. Opinion not fact.

Posted by: Abdul19, July 28, 2014, 6:21pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Against skelmersdale !

But no-one questioned the standard of opponent when Bogle was being talked about?
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 28, 2014, 6:26pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Grimal

Read my post again MarinerTommy and then reply to what I stated.

I have replied to the highlighted text in your post, having read it again, it is still relevant.

You stated that he showed improvement in the game against Mansfield, he didn't.

UTM
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 45

I have replied to the highlighted text in your post, having read it again, it is still relevant.

UTM

He didn't ,some on here will just like to think he did.

We only improved in midfield when disley came.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, July 28, 2014, 6:33pm; Reply: 46
Madeley Mariner: every one that has (inc fans at former clubs) says he is not good enough. So I don't understand why he was signed.

So.....we sign players now on the basis of whether a few fans express their approval or disapproval about a player???
Hurst HAS signed him because after watching him in 2/3 matches he has made the decision to sign him.
Hurst is an ex-player, more informed and experienced than 99% of posters on here, so why the hell can;t he bel left to do what he is emplyed to do
I remember Danny Butterfield getting slagged off mercilessly several years ago and he didn't do too bad when he left for better things; so.....the opinion of a 'professional' football man as to Butterfield's ability WAS of more value than a few fans who had nothing better to do than slag him off - largely, if I remember, cos he 'didn't get stuck in' (usual ill-informed footy fans code for 'loses control of the ball, dives in two-footed to get it back, gets sent off, but proves he must be a man).

Hurst is the manager - he makes the 'ballsy' decisions to sign or not sign a player - and he lives and dies by that decision.

A few people on here thought Ironside looked OK - should Hurst have signed him then???

We all have a right to express our views but some people on here seem to think what they say is FACT when it is only opinion

I despair sometimes - give the manager some credit and the young lad some support.
Posted by: lobsterpot, July 28, 2014, 6:36pm; Reply: 47
How many players have we seen in pre season come and go, wether they looked world beaters but were cack or look shite but surprise us all? Let's just see how they get on when it comes to the big boys games and get behind them. That's pretty much all we can do and hopefully it will spur them on to take us to the promised land (Bury, Crewe etc).
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 48
i know this may sound like a stupid statement but this thread has really drunk me off, yeah everyones entitled to an opinion but to call a lad of 22 who clearly just wants to have a football career really gets to me, Yeah i take on board the reasons, could have been invested elsewhere, could be better out there, we arent the manager, its not for us to say whos shite and whos not, Really hoping craig does well here, he clearly has something about him if the comments on chesterfields forum are anything to go by, maybe all he needs is a bit of backing? as said i respect others opinions on the matter but to put a thread like this before he has even kicked a ball in a competitive game for us is mind boggling and extremely harsh. UTM
Posted by: fiveallive, July 28, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 49
I haven't seen Craig Clay play, but i think people are getting hung up on the fact he played for Worksop last. He left York City the same day Jamal Fyfield left so Worksop was a deal to keep himself ticking over to the end of the season. I will pass judgement when i see him play but he hasn't had full pre season and he does add a bit of height in midfield we have a better all round midfield with Disley, Brown, Paddy and now Clay. We have a lot more threat from corners with the likes of Clay, Pearson, Nsiala, Brown can hit them from outside.

Clay also good for the FA Trophy games aswell.
Posted by: chaos33, July 28, 2014, 7:46pm; Reply: 50
Well I think the title of this thread is extreme and a bit unfair. That said, I saw Clay play pre- season and thought he was quite comfortably below par, so I'm very surprised to see him offered a contract. In fact, hang on....I'm not at all surprised. This is not the sort of signing that an aspiring automatic-promotion hunting team would make IMO, but then I'm not getting that vibe generally. Yet another compromise I feel. Still, of course, good luck to him, I hope he turns out to be f@cking brilliant.

Posted by: Garth, July 28, 2014, 7:54pm; Reply: 51

UTM

Oh but he did and it was easy to see, give him a chance
Posted by: Tommy, July 28, 2014, 7:57pm; Reply: 52
Let's be realistic here. I've read a hell of a lot of exaggerated views on here and on twitter today regarding Clay. Worst trialist in the history of gtfc etc etc

I only saw him in the Donny game, but could see during that game against much higher level opposition, that he isn't the awful player some are making out. I said after that game that he looked tidy enough but didn't have much of a presence and didn't look to particularly have any big strengths. A bit like a steady all-rounder, playing it simple and to feet.

He wasn't giving the ball away, wasn't caught out of position all the time and wasn't really making mistakes as such. The level of criticism towards him has been way over the top. I said last week I wouldn't have signed him, but what were we expecting as a signing to come in and be the 4th central midfielder?

People slating him seem to be using certain quotes or views but ignoring others that don't suit their argument. Let's give him a chance and support him. Judge him after a few games against teams in our league with our first team, because whether we like it or not, we don't play with the same motivation and intensity as a league game.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2014, 8:03pm; Reply: 53
Have people been slating him on twitter tommy? If so i think thats even worse
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 28, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 54
We're a Conference team and he's going to be our fourth choice centre mid. Who were people expecting? I don't buy that we could have gone with 3 in the squad complimented by loans either as one suspension or injury and you don't have anybody for the bench.
Posted by: RoboCod, July 28, 2014, 8:30pm; Reply: 55
Drama Queen thread title of the year, for sure.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, July 28, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 56
As I said in a previous posting this board is already sliding the way of the previous one with it's negativity. Just because of a few trial games a minority (in the greater supporter sense - not fishy posters) chose to bring down this latest signing with their superior footballing knowledge or prowess with researching historical posts.Do you not have faith in Paul Hurst? If not try applying for his job and see how far you would get. I haven't seen any of the pre-season games I admit but then again it's what happens when the season has started that interests me far more. Perhaps the Fishy admin should start to issue a few cards before we sink again.

Posted by: acko338, July 28, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 57
And if Craig Clay has the misfortune to read these comments, I do hope that his thoughts amount to something like - "I'll show you ignorant bar stewards that I can play", and then knuckles down to prove the knockers wrong.

This signing is down to right age, right height, right cost in wages and Hurst's personal opinion (right or wrong) of what he can get out of the player.

Some of us hope he succeeds with his 3 rights and 1 wrong !!

Only time will tell!

At least give the lad a chance! he's a Mariner now, whether people like it or not !
Posted by: TAGG, July 28, 2014, 8:39pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I'll wait till I've seen him play before I pass judgement - as should everyone else!

This  :)
Posted by: wodewick, July 28, 2014, 8:47pm; Reply: 59
I am more shocked about the obvious lack of education today especially spelling.

Welcome Clay.
Posted by: KK_DOG, July 28, 2014, 8:53pm; Reply: 60
Complete sadness reading some of this. I do hope we get automatic promotion and then Paul Hurst will move onto a bigger and better club and probably take the best players with him. Good luck because the Manager and the players don't deserve this.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from KK_DOG
Complete sadness reading some of this. I do hope we get automatic promotion and then Paul Hurst will move onto a bigger and better club and probably take the best players with him. Good luck because the Manager and the players don't deserve this.

You mean no more hoof ball.

go on then deal.
Posted by: GyMariner, July 28, 2014, 9:06pm; Reply: 62
I think the Fishy should close over the summer to prevent all this nonsense and give the moaners a break from moaning. They obviously have no clue on some things. It really progresses from a 'debate' or an 'opinion' into something much worse before a ball is even kicked, often personal. It should then re-open for the first game of the season so the players have a way of defending themselves and at least most of the disscussion can be based on facts.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 28, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 63
I don't think that people are so much critical of this lad personally as expressing their disappointment with the quality of signings in general. There was a bit of a lift after the first 2 or 3 especially when JF was talking about hair on end and the manager was talking about irons in the fire over a new striker. Expectations were lifted and now they seem to have been dashed. Supporters naturally put 2 and 2 together to make 5 and start to think that JF's promises that money is not an issue is simply not true. They see targets that looked to be in our reach going to rival clubs and they get disillusioned.

It is easy to say real fans shouldn't. It is easy to say real fans should get behind new signings no matter who they are. But fans are the people paying for the privilege of watching their team and if they think their club is lacking the ambition to improve year on year then they are going to say so. Unfortunately this young lad is the victim, the wrong player at the wrong time in the eyes of a good many.

I hope he does well for his own sake, nobody deserves to be personally shot at before they have hardly kicked a ball in anger. But I also think the criticism of the manager and his employer is justified and I will carry on thinking that until they prove otherwise by keeping their word over quality signings.
Posted by: geir, July 28, 2014, 9:31pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from GyMariner
I think the Fishy should close over the summer to prevent all this nonsense and give the moaners a break from moaning.

No, please don`t close the forum! I have recently discovered that this excellent forum is back and have rejoined proceedings today.

What I don`t understand is, after some excellent signings this summer, why so many people are doom and gloom over one signing that may or may not be of the same quality as the rest. One man can`t destroy Grimsbys season by himself, so please lighten up.

In Paul Hurst I trust! Personally I think he`s the best manager we`ve had since that bald school-teacher! Support the team!!!

Posted by: davmariner, July 28, 2014, 9:34pm; Reply: 65
I don't think that people are so much critical of this lad personally as expressing their disappointment with the quality of signings in general. There was a bit of a lift after the first 2 or 3 especially when JF was talking about hair on end and the manager was talking about irons in the fire over a new striker. Expectations were lifted and now they seem to have been dashed. Supporters naturally put 2 and 2 together to make 5 and start to think that JF's promises that money is not an issue is simply not true. They see targets that looked to be in our reach going to rival clubs and they get disillusioned.

It is easy to say real fans shouldn't. It is easy to say real fans should get behind new signings no matter who they are. But fans are the people paying for the privilege of watching their team and if they think their club is lacking the ambition to improve year on year then they are going to say so. Unfortunately this young lad is the victim, the wrong player at the wrong time in the eyes of a good many.

I hope he does well for his own sake, nobody deserves to be personally shot at before they have hardly kicked a ball in anger. But I also think the criticism of the manager and his employer is justified and I will carry on thinking that until they prove otherwise by keeping their word over quality signings.

Well said, sums up my thoughts also.

Posted by: mariner91, July 28, 2014, 9:35pm; Reply: 66

Other than Clay I don't think they even look bad. The first three were generally considered to be pretty good signings. Magnay is no mug and will be good cover across the back four. Arnold has always impressed me personally. And Pittman has a great record at this level provided we can keep him fit. And Clay is back up on probably next to nothing each week, we can't have a squad full of world beaters.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 28, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from geir

No, please don`t close the forum! I have recently discovered that this excellent forum is back and have rejoined proceedings today.

What I don`t understand is, after some excellent signings this summer, why so many people are doom and gloom over one signing that may or may not be of the same quality as the rest. One man can`t destroy Grimsbys season by himself, so please lighten up.

In Paul Hurst I trust! Personally I think he`s the best manager we`ve had since that bald school-teacher! Support the team!!!

I'm happy to give all of the signings the chance to prove themselves and I hope they do.

However, please remember that GYFR promised us signings that would make the hairs on our necks stand up. At this point, we have signed players (permanent deals) from clubs that finished below us or free agents, the only player from higher is on loan. Well, frankly, if I wasn't bald already, I soon will be!
Posted by: forza ivano, July 28, 2014, 9:52pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Against skelmersdale !

You have your opinion I have mine the difference is you think yours has the moral high ground and is more important.

I despair. You originally posted that Doig n hurst should contact the Worksop manager who could tell them how Shiite clay was.well, my post just goes to prove the Worksop boss did not think he was Shiite, in fact he thought quite the reverse. So it's not a case of taking the moral high ground, it's just a matter of pointing out the facts rather than a load of bloody nonsense as posted by you. As I said try engaging brain before posting and try finding out evidence to back up your claims
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 28, 2014, 9:54pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from GyMariner
I think the Fishy should close over the summer to prevent all this nonsense and give the moaners a break from moaning. They obviously have no clue on some things. It really progresses from a 'debate' or an 'opinion' into something much worse before a ball is even kicked, often personal. It should then re-open for the first game of the season so the players have a way of defending themselves and at least most of the disscussion can be based on facts.

No no no!

You do not make things better by artificially hiding things.

Things are not good at GTFC.

The club (well Fenty really) are taking us for mugs.

We are a big club in a ridiculously low position, and we cannot attract an obvious goalscoring striker if our life depended on it.

We are not trying hard enough!!

If we were serious about promotion don't you think we could have bought a couple of players to scare the opposition? We have to finish TOP to go up unless we get lucky in the play off lottery.

Over a decade of spectacular failure and your answer is to close the Fishy?

Getyourfactsright if it is him, needs to know we are not happy. Not happy at all with him.

I will be cheering the team on as ever hoping we can do it, but the owner must realize that when you have the privelege of owning a professional club which is part and parcel of the community it serves, with a rich history, it simply cannot be run as a personal plaything.

We need progress, intent, ambition and a drive to succeed in a very harsh footballing world - it takes a lot of money and a top notch management team to make it work and that is up to one man - does he "get it" or does he hope against hope it might work with the modest aspirations he seems to have?

And no I don't have the money to put where my mouth is; If I did I wouldn't sink it into any football club, but Fenty chose to. It is a big responsibility, but he must be absolutely single minded about getting us back into League football as a MINIMUM requirement and I simply dont see that attitude from the club.  

Posted by: chaos33, July 28, 2014, 9:59pm; Reply: 70

No no no!

You do not make things better by artificially hiding things.

Things are not good at GTFC.

The club (well Fenty really) are taking us for mugs.

We are a big club in a ridiculously low position, and we cannot attract an obvious goalscoring striker if our life depended on it.

We are not trying hard enough!!

If we were serious about promotion don't you think we could have bought a couple of players to scare the opposition? We have to finish TOP to go up unless we get lucky in the play off lottery.

Over a decade of spectacular failure and your answer is to close the Fishy?

Getyourfactsright if it is him, needs to know we are not happy. Not happy at all with him.

I will be cheering the team on as ever hoping we can do it, but the owner must realize that when you have the privelege of owning a professional club which is part and parcel of the community it serves, with a rich history, it simply cannot be run as a personal plaything.

We need progress, intent, ambition and a drive to succeed in a very harsh footballing world - it takes a lot of money and a top notch management team to make it work and that is up to one man - does he "get it" or does he hope against hope it might work with the modest aspirations he seems to have?

And no I don't have the money to put where my mouth is; If I did I wouldn't sink it into any football club, but Fenty chose to. It is a big responsibility, but he must be absolutely single minded about getting us back into League football as a MINIMUM requirement and I simply dont see that attitude from the club.  

That, is spot on.
Posted by: chaos33, July 28, 2014, 9:59pm; Reply: 71

Good balanced post as usual.
Posted by: ackomariner, July 28, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from GyMariner

Think those that have no clue on some things, were proved right last season  :P
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from wodewick
I am more shocked about the obvious lack of education today especially spelling.

Welcome Clay.

Yes welcome Clay,

I am shocked at the spelling on here as well it's Absolutly shocking  ;)
Posted by: barralad, July 28, 2014, 10:52pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Against skelmersdale !

Ah the old moral high ground get out clause again!

So everyone who disagrees with you is somehow moralising-not just making their opinion known on a public message board. You imagined victims of the moral majority need to get a grip on real life....
Posted by: barralad, July 28, 2014, 10:58pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from forza ivano

I despair. You originally posted that Doig n hurst should contact the Worksop manager who could tell them how Shiite clay was.well, my post just goes to prove the Worksop boss did not think he was Shiite, in fact he thought quite the reverse. So it's not a case of taking the moral high ground, it's just a matter of pointing out the facts rather than a load of bloody nonsense as posted by you. As I said try engaging brain before posting and try finding out evidence to back up your claims

Ooh I fear the "your reply is condescending" weapon is being rolled out for use.......
Posted by: barralad, July 28, 2014, 11:00pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from ackomariner

Think those that have no clue on some things, were proved right last season  :P

So where do you stand on slagging off a Town player before a ball has been kicked in anger?
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 28, 2014, 11:03pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from geir

Great to see you back geir, if I remember rightly you are Norwegian aren't you.  

Some of the negativity with the recent signing is due to a misquote / taken out of context comment from John Fenty to the local press.  The local press claimed John Fenty said that the new signings will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

John Fenty did not challenge this publication and fans got excited expecting a quality signing/signings that would more or less make us unstoppable.
Posted by: geir, July 28, 2014, 11:26pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Marinerz93

Great to see you back geir, if I remember rightly you are Norwegian aren't you.  

Some of the negativity with the recent signing is due to a misquote / taken out of context comment from John Fenty to the local press.  The local press claimed John Fenty said that the new signings will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

John Fenty did not challenge this publication and fans got excited expecting a quality signing/signings that would more or less make us unstoppable.

Thank you! Great to be back with all these dedicated fans. I have missed it. And I sure am 100% Norwegian and 100% a Town fan. I don`t even bother to follow a team in the Premier League as many do. It is all Town!
I know about Fenty`s alleged comment and I`m wondering: Do people really expect Messi signing up for the club? Yes, I am as disappointed as the other guy that he isn`t, but I guess it is time for a reality check - no matter what is supposedly said.
I think the most important thing in this coming season will be to make Blundell Park a Fortress. A place the opposition players fear because the twelfth player - the fans of Grimsby Town - are behind the players from the first to the last minute. It really does matter! In my job, the end result is always better when my boss is cheering me on rather than shouting insults in my general direction. I get more motivated, and I think that works about the same for the players doing their job.
So I really hope anyone going will make a lot of positive noise there instead of slagging people off here before they`ve even had the chance to prove themselves.
I think you feel the same way, too! :-)

Posted by: chaos33, July 28, 2014, 11:40pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from barralad

So where do you stand on slagging off a Town player before a ball has been kicked in anger?

There's a clear difference between 'slagging off' and giving a critical, informed and honest opinion based upon seeing a player in action first hand though. It's wrong that people should be publicly disrespectful or abusive to a new player, but it's quite another thing to state that you simply don't think the player is very good/up to standard etc.

Some people on this board (not you Barra) confuse critical analysis and just call it all negativity or moaning. These are probably the types who seem quite happy with mediocrity and scraping our way through season after season, hoping to drag our @rses into the play offs, only to get embarrassed. Bit of a generalisation? Don't like or agree with it? Don't be so negative. Stop 'bashing' other people for their views.  :P
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 28, 2014, 11:42pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from geir

Thank you! Great to be back with all these dedicated fans. I have missed it. And I sure am 100% Norwegian and 100% a Town fan. I don`t even bother to follow a team in the Premier League as many do. It is all Town!
I know about Fenty`s alleged comment and I`m wondering: Do people really expect Messi signing up for the club? Yes, I am as disappointed as the other guy that he isn`t, but I guess it is time for a reality check - no matter what is supposedly said.
I think the most important thing in this coming season will be to make Blundell Park a Fortress. A place the opposition players fear because the twelfth player - the fans of Grimsby Town - are behind the players from the first to the last minute. It really does matter! In my job, the end result is always better when my boss is cheering me on rather than shouting insults in my general direction. I get more motivated, and I think that works about the same for the players doing their job.
So I really hope anyone going will make a lot of positive noise there instead of slagging people off here before they`ve even had the chance to prove themselves.
I think you feel the same way, too! :-)

Good points Geir.

I think that the player who some aren't happy about will only be a bit part player, filling in were needed.  Some players come into their own when they are given time and Hurst may have seen that.  I will give any player who wears Town's colours my full support.  It is down to every player to give us something to be proud of, they just need to make the most of their opportunities when given the chance.

I also think that the frustration of being in non league is showing more each season.
Posted by: Grimal, July 29, 2014, 12:10am; Reply: 81

UTM

If you have been to all the preseason games as I have, you would have noticed Clay played better in the 45 minutes he played against Mansfield than in his previous games. Nothing to do with "we improved when Disley came on".

Posted by: Grimal, July 29, 2014, 12:24am; Reply: 82
Quoted from jonnyboy82

He didn't ,some on here will just like to think he did.

We only improved in midfield when disley came.

I'm saying Clay showed improvement in the Mansfield game, to what we had seen from him in the other matches .  I've made no mention about how we,the team improved when Disley came on. I am only talking about Clay for Christ sake.

Posted by: ackomariner, July 29, 2014, 4:59am; Reply: 83
Quoted from chaos33

There's a clear difference between 'slagging off' and giving a critical, informed and honest opinion based upon seeing a player in action first hand though. It's wrong that people should be publicly disrespectful or abusive to a new player, but it's quite another thing to state that you simply don't think the player is very good/up to standard etc.

Some people on this board (not you Barra) confuse critical analysis and just call it all negativity or moaning. These are probably the types who seem quite happy with mediocrity and scraping our way through season after season, hoping to drag our @rses into the play offs, only to get embarrassed. Bit of a generalisation? Don't like or agree with it? Don't be so negative. Stop 'bashing' other people for their views.  :P

Spot on for me this post
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 29, 2014, 7:31am; Reply: 84
Quoted from barralad

Why would you stand on him?? The fishy us just as good for ripping into unknown players, and you can do it from the comfort of your own home
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 29, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 85
Quoted from forza ivano

The lad started at chesterfield then to York then on to Halifax, barrow then on to worksop , the evidence is that the player has declined to lower levels than us.

The fact is he has not been very good in any of the games and I think he is a poor signing after seeing him and getting feedback of fans of his previous clubs who as much as you might not like it actually know more about him than you do.

You have your opinion I have mine and just because it doesn't agree with yours it doesn't mean its wrong.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 29, 2014, 10:18am; Reply: 86
Quoted from barralad

Ah the old moral high ground get out clause again!

So everyone who disagrees with you is somehow moralising-not just making their opinion known on a public message board. You imagined victims of the moral majority need to get a grip on real life....

But your opinion is if you don't agree with mine then you are wrong.

You only crawl out to give it the big un to certain posters who don't agree with your opinion..

And comparing peoples opinions on a message board to sugggesting people need to get a grip on real life is just silly from you again in fact probably your best one yet.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 29, 2014, 10:50am; Reply: 87
Quoted from jonnyboy82

The lad started at chesterfield then to York then on to Halifax, barrow then on to worksop , the evidence is that the player has declined to lower levels than us.

The fact is he has not been very good in any of the games and I think he is a poor signing after seeing him and getting feedback of fans of his previous clubs who as much as you might not like it actually know more about him than you do.

You have your opinion I have mine and just because it doesn't agree with yours it doesn't mean its wrong.

i repeat - you said that the worksop manager said he was shiite. you have NO evidence to back that claim up, in fact all the evidence points to exactly the opposite i.e that shaw rated the lad. furthermore there is a very long thread from chesterfield fans, nearly every one being positive as to his abilities and potential. i've still to read the threads from fans of previous clubs who are slagging him off. if you're going to make statements as to his ability at least base it on some evidence. i
ps i have never said i know anything about him -i've merely said that there is evidence that he might not be the complete crock of shiite that you've obviously decided he is
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 29, 2014, 11:01am; Reply: 88
Quoted from forza ivano

i repeat - you said that the worksop manager said he was shiite. you have NO evidence to back that claim up, in fact all the evidence points to exactly the opposite i.e that shaw rated the lad. furthermore there is a very long thread from chesterfield fans, nearly every one being positive as to his abilities and potential. i've still to read the threads from fans of previous clubs who are slagging him off. if you're going to make statements as to his ability at least base it on some evidence. i
ps i have never said i know anything about him -i've merely said that there is evidence that he might not be the complete crock of shiite that you've obviously decided he is

Go on the York forum or the conference forum search for Craig clay and you will find your answer.

What evidence are you basing your opinion on ?

Posted by: mariner91, July 29, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 89
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Go on the York forum or the conference forum search for Craig clay and you will find your answer.

What evidence are you basing your opinion on ?

He told you in that post if you bothered to read it properly.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 29, 2014, 11:26am; Reply: 90
Quoted from mariner91

thank you mariner.

where's ffs when you need him?

ffs
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 29, 2014, 11:36am; Reply: 91
Quoted from mariner91

I know , I was asking him what he based his opinion on ?

Has he seen him play ?

Has he seen in him in any friendlies ?

Or is it just opinions from over 2 years ago and the worksop manager wanting to keep him because he played well against skelmersdale.

If you want to join in at least have some knowledge about it.
Posted by: biggles9999, July 29, 2014, 11:43am; Reply: 92
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Has he seen him play ?

Or is it just opinions from over 2 years ago and the worksop manager wanting to keep him because he played well against skelmersdale.

And he has also said that he doesnt have an opinion on the guy at the moment until hes seen him play. Only that he cant be as bad as is made out based on the available opinions of others at other clubs.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 29, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 93
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Has he seen him play ?

'ps i have never said i know anything about him -i've merely said that there is evidence that he might not be the complete crock of shiite that you've obviously decided he is'

which bit of this don't you understand?

anyway that's my last word on the subject.i'll base my judgement on what i see in the league and trophy. i can be bothered to waste my time with people who can't, or won't, read what other posters write
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 29, 2014, 11:46am; Reply: 94
Can you imagine what it would have been like if the fishy had been around in the nineties - I can imagine the posts for example on - "why are we wasting money on a 35 year old Halifax reserve"

Let's give the guy a chance he may well turn into a little diamond
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 29, 2014, 11:50am; Reply: 95
Quoted from forza ivano

'ps i have never said i know anything about him -i've merely said that there is evidence that he might not be the complete crock of shiite that you've obviously decided he is'

which bit of this don't you understand?

anyway that's my last word on the subject.i'll base my judgement on what i see in the league and trophy. i can be bothered to waste my time with people who can't, or won't, read what other posters write

What you really mean is I can't be arsed if they don't agree with me .

Later!
Posted by: Garth, July 29, 2014, 11:57am; Reply: 96
Quoted from biggles9999

And he has also said that he doesnt have an opinion on the guy at the moment until hes seen him play. Only that he cant be as bad as is made out based on the available opinions of others at other clubs.

I also read the link to other clubs supporters, and agree that was a fair comment to make, we are all getting a bit tense pre the mighty Sunderland match, 3-0 to Town
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 29, 2014, 11:58am; Reply: 97
Can't wait til he starts playing competitVely!!!!
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 29, 2014, 12:00pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Can you imagine what it would have been like if the fishy had been around in the nineties - I can imagine the posts for example on - "why are we wasting money on a 35 year old Halifax reserve"

Spot on, made me chuckle  ;D
Posted by: chicaneuk, July 29, 2014, 1:28pm; Reply: 99
I absolutely have no opinion on the team until I see them playing, against competing teams, in the same league as us... so when the season actually starts. Transfer news, friendlies, rumours, signings really mean nothing until we're actually kicking a ball in games that actually count.

No disrespect intended to the original poster who says he's supported town for 50 years - I admire that commitment and can say it's been tough even as someone who's only followed town for 5 or so years, but it seems the most disillusioned folks on here (including the OP) are those that are long term supporters who've seen the glory days for town, and struggle to accept the position of the club now. For me, as someone who never knew the glory days, I think we're doing the best we can with limited revenues in this crap league. We're making some good signings, and a have a loyal fan base who travel far to a lot of games across the country - so many clubs in this league would envy what we have.

The players looked burned out and lacked passion towards the end of last season but I believe all those involved want the club to succeed and I really do believe Paul Hurst will get us out of this league eventually.. hopefully this season. We just need to give them our support (financially and morally) to make that happen - not going to games, or cancelling your season ticket only serves to shoot yourself in the foot surely?!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 29, 2014, 2:44pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from chicaneuk
I absolutely have no opinion on the team until I see them playing, against competing teams, in the same league as us... so when the season actually starts. Transfer news, friendlies, rumours, signings really mean nothing until we're actually kicking a ball in games that actually count.

No disrespect intended to the original poster who says he's supported town for 50 years - I admire that commitment and can say it's been tough even as someone who's only followed town for 5 or so years, but it seems the most disillusioned folks on here (including the OP) are those that are long term supporters who've seen the glory days for town, and struggle to accept the position of the club now. For me, as someone who never knew the glory days, I think we're doing the best we can with limited revenues in this crap league. We're making some good signings, and a have a loyal fan base who travel far to a lot of games across the country - so many clubs in this league would envy what we have.

The players looked burned out and lacked passion towards the end of last season but I believe all those involved want the club to succeed and I really do believe Paul Hurst will get us out of this league eventually.. hopefully this season. We just need to give them our support (financially and morally) to make that happen - not going to games, or cancelling your season ticket only serves to shoot yourself in the foot surely?!

That is a fair point. What you never had, you never miss.

But as somebody whose first memory of BP is being passed over the heads of blokes in a packed Osmond Stand to the front railing to watch Town play Liverpool on a 1950s Christmas Day morning, all of this "we are where we are" attitude is a bit hard to take.

Posted by: cannylad68, July 29, 2014, 3:14pm; Reply: 101

But as somebody whose first memory of BP is being passed over the heads of blokes in a packed Osmond Stand to the front railing to watch Town play Liverpool on a 1950s Christmas Day morning, all of this "we are where we are" attitude is a bit hard to take.

I was there too. Got my first black and white scarf as a Christmas present.

Posted by: ackomariner, July 29, 2014, 3:20pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from barralad

Deleted my first reply to your question,

I don't call any player until I've seen them play, but others have been to every game so far, so that's their opinion , but I will make my own mind up on the matter.

As for where do I stand, I don't, I sit in the pontoon row b, seat 41, pop along and say hello
Posted by: ackomariner, July 29, 2014, 6:52pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from ackomariner

I don't call any player until I've seen them play, but others have been to every game so far, so that's their opinion , but I will make my own mind up on the matter.

As for where do I stand, I don't, I sit in the pontoon row b, seat 41, pop along and say hello

Three negatives for this and I've been called a keyboard warrior  :'(
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 29, 2014, 6:59pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from chaos33

I would put barralad right up there with those who confuse critical analysis with negativity. One of several who seem prepared to put up with mediocrity.
Posted by: chaos33, July 29, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from horsforthmariner

I reckon the electronic fishcake was around in 1999, and that I was posting on it, albeit under a different name. Rob will know when it started......
Posted by: barralad, July 29, 2014, 9:27pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from ackomariner

Thanks for your reply...Not that it really matters but I'm much reassured that you aren't prepared to join in the ritual slaughter of a Town player...

Thanks too for the offer...I will!
Posted by: barralad, July 29, 2014, 9:31pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from jonnyboy82

But your opinion is if you don't agree with mine then you are wrong.

You only crawl out to give it the big un to certain posters who don't agree with your opinion..

And comparing peoples opinions on a message board to sugggesting people need to get a grip on real life is just silly from you again in fact probably your best one yet.

Your grip on reality is so tenuous that you gave me a negative reputation marking...I may never recover. I'm cut to the quick!!
Posted by: mrsd, July 29, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 108
IMHO he was OK tonight
Posted by: Grimal, July 29, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from mrsd
IMHO he was OK tonight

I've lost the gist of this thread now but I suppose we are talking about Craig Clay. I was in agreement with all on here that no way should we have signed him but on tonights showing I can see a decent player there and he seems to have a good footballers brain.Perhaps the pressure on him trying for a contract was making him try to hard ,hell knows we've all been there.Tonight he was more relaxed and it showed in his performance he made some excellent passes and neat little flick ons.Obviously Paul could see a good player in him or he wouldn't have signed him. Welcome to our Club  Craig..

Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 29, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from chaos33

I reckon the electronic fishcake was around in 1999, and that I was posting on it, albeit under a different name. Rob will know when it started......

So 1998/99 we finished in 11th place in what is now the championship and then Grimsby fans discovered the internet and we've never been that high again, in fact we ve been relegated out of the football league. Maybe this internet thing is not all it's cracked up to be  ;) ;)
Posted by: chaos33, July 29, 2014, 11:21pm; Reply: 111
We were definitely a Championship side when it started. It was on the Rvals network. We would be bantering with our rivals - Norwich City, Leicester, Wolves, Crystal Palace etc
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 29, 2014, 11:34pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from chaos33
We were definitely a Championship side when it started. It was on the Rvals network. We would be bantering with our rivals - Norwich City, Leicester, Wolves, Crystal Palace etc

Man City would probably have been too lowly for us back then
Posted by: nickmariners, August 25, 2014, 9:40pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from jonnyboy82

What you really mean is I can't be arsed if they don't agree with me .

Later!

But "to be fair" -- it reads as though you can't be arsed that quite a few people disagree with YOU, particularly on this Clay thread.

I'm sure we're all glad how well he performed this weekend.
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 3:56pm