Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: excusebeef, July 29, 2014, 10:11am
Was listening to the Scots going on about the Hampden roar over the years on the radio which got me thinking what was the one BP game that made my hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Would love to hear some stories from the pre 98 era as I never supported town then. The Exeter game on highlights looked QUALITY, just gutted I never saw it. Mine had to be probably home against Wimbledon when Pouton got hat trick and we won 6-2. What an atmosphere
Posted by: mariner83, July 29, 2014, 10:17am; Reply: 1
[youtube]NBbjfuCIgxw[/youtube]

I started supporting them in 97 so for me the Fulham playoff match.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 29, 2014, 10:17am; Reply: 2
Will always be Fulham in the playoffs as one of the Most 'partisan' I have known at bp. The Tmosphere the night was. Shins anything I've experienced there and without a doubt the vestige experienced while it's been all seater.

Other games that spring to mind are wolves and Donny in the fa cup, Lincoln (1-0 Gilbert) and scunny (2-1 same season)
Posted by: psgmariner, July 29, 2014, 10:29am; Reply: 3
Fulham at home was fantastic. The Scunny home game last season was a welcome reminder of how vocal and intimidating can be for away teams.
Posted by: Meza, July 29, 2014, 10:53am; Reply: 4
Best game for me was Stoke City at home their fans never stopped singing and a bit of agro at the end, they snapped the crossed bar too.
Posted by: oldun, July 29, 2014, 11:00am; Reply: 5
Yes that Fulham night was special. Beating Everton in a cup game with Mike Brolly and co was pretty special and of course further back the game against Exeter for promotion.
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 29, 2014, 11:03am; Reply: 6
Quoted from oldun
Yes that Fulham night was special. Beating Everton in a cup game with Mike Brolly and co was pretty special and of course further back the game against Exeter for promotion.

Will always remember the headline on the back page of the Daily Mirror the next day,
It said "Brolly Reigns"

UTM
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 29, 2014, 11:10am; Reply: 7
Going back a few years I remember the fa cup defeat at home to arsenal 4-3, was buzzing all through that game, not even a Charlie Nicholas hat trick dampened the mood that day, and interesting to point out that town fans were in the osmond that day and the noise was fantastic. Also remember the night Newcastle won at BP to get promoted under Kevin Keegan, a fantastic atmosphere probably due to the fact that the Geordies literally took over most of the ground that night.
Posted by: Garth, July 29, 2014, 11:30am; Reply: 8
Quoted from northbankmariner
Going back a few years I remember the fa cup defeat at home to arsenal 4-3, was buzzing all through that game, not even a Charlie Nicholas hat trick dampened the mood that day, and interesting to point out that town fans were in the osmond that day and the noise was fantastic. Also remember the night Newcastle won at BP to get promoted under Kevin Keegan, a fantastic atmosphere probably due to the fact that the Geordies literally took over most of the ground that night.

Are you sure I remember the goals as seen by myself behind the Pontoon goal, maybe memory giving out
Posted by: Codswede, July 29, 2014, 11:34am; Reply: 9
Definitely Fulham at home, I wasn't very old at the time but singing Keegan what's the score will be a gtfc memory forever.

When Peterborough got promoted is probably the loudest roar from the osmond that I remember, it was like an away game, and they really showed us up that day on and off the pitch.
Posted by: marinerjase, July 29, 2014, 11:35am; Reply: 10
Definitely in the Osmond end. Well I watched it from there with Town fans anyway
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 29, 2014, 11:36am; Reply: 11
I agree that Fulham game was an amazing atmosphere. Going back a bit further I remember a game against Bristol City at Blundell Park when we were on a run of 5 or 6 wins - think it may have been when Dave Beasant was on loan. We went 1-0 down (to an Andy Cole goal?), equalised and then got a late, late winner via a massive deflection and I remember the Pontoon going absolutely mad. Would love to see it if anybody knows of any highlights?

Beating Scunny 2-1 under Buckley in his first spell it was rocking as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNbLr0HUSgg
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 29, 2014, 11:37am; Reply: 12
Norwich at home in the FA cup (98 I think) we were on great run anyway - they were a league above us and we absolutely battered them. Years later I became friends with a Norwich fan who was at the game when I mentioned it he just shuddered.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 29, 2014, 11:39am; Reply: 13
On the flip side, a kiddy steward said that he hadn't known such an atmosphere or noise from an away team for a long time after our game last season
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 29, 2014, 12:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
On the flip side, a kiddy steward said that he hadn't known such an atmosphere or noise from an away team for a long time after our game last season

I heard the same. Also heard similar comments from staff and fans at Cambridge. And apparently Alfreton, Nuneaton and Barnet fans and staff all said the same. Its strange how we made real noise going to all those place but when we played Lincoln I thought the atmosphere was poor.
Posted by: samg, July 29, 2014, 12:38pm; Reply: 15
Has to be the Exeter game for me
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:31am