Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: oldun, July 29, 2014, 9:38pm
A bit men against boys but most of the squad played at some point and all did well. We probably could have had 4 or 5. Everyone looked fit and lively and yes we did have time and space to play but there was quality around the team. Everyone wanted the ball. Passing movement was good. Macca had 1 save to make which he did superbly. Paddy really looks the part and fired up at the moment. His goal was pure class. Hannah unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Scott Brown is an excellent footballer, quick and pops up everywhere. The young pros, Walker, Winfarrah, and Humble did well. Pittman looks a bit ring rusty but that is to be expected. Nathan Arnold was not included. Finally a special mention for Craig Clay who played the first half , saw a lot of the ball and never put a foot wrong. He seemed a lot more relaxed and confident. Don't let's read too much into this but lots of positives.
Posted by: Garth, July 29, 2014, 9:43pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from oldun
A bit men against boys but most of the squad played at some point and all did well. We probably could have had 4 or 5. Everyone looked fit and lively and yes we did have time and space to play but there was quality around the team. Everyone wanted the ball. Passing movement was good. Macca had 1 save to make which he did superbly. Paddy really looks the part and fired up at the moment. His goal was pure class. Hannah unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Scott Brown is an excellent footballer, quick and pops up everywhere. The young pros, Walker, Winfarrah, and Humble did well. Pittman looks a bit ring rusty but that is to be expected. Nathan Arnold was not included. Finally a special mention for Craig Clay who played the first half , saw a lot of the ball and never put a foot wrong. He seemed a lot more relaxed and confident. Don't let's read too much into this but lots of positives.

Agree with all the above, Clay had a very good half and always showed and wanted the ball, seems a confident lad
Posted by: forza ivano, July 29, 2014, 9:43pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from oldun

You can't say that about Craig clay oldun!!! Jonnyidiotboy will be on to you  ;D
Posted by: cjbill, July 29, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 3
Agree we showed a lot of positives tonight. Paddy looks a different player playing in a midfield 3. Clay looked good in the first half. I also think Walker gave a top performance at right back and could easily be first choice there within time.
Posted by: oldun, July 29, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from forza ivano

You can't say that about Craig clay oldun!!! Jonnyidiotboy will be on to you  ;D

I know but Fair do's to the lad, at least for that 45 Mins. Not pinning my hopes on him yet, only time will tell.
Posted by: oldun, July 29, 2014, 9:52pm; Reply: 5
Walker could easily play and not be out of place. Maybe our next cash generator.
Posted by: cjbill, July 29, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 6
Anyone know why Arnold wasn't in the squad? I know thomas was injured and he was in the stand watching but I hadn't heard anything about Arnold
Posted by: northbankmariner, July 29, 2014, 9:54pm; Reply: 7
Pleased there are a few positives from tonight. Maybe coincidence of course but with people saying clay looked confident and playing well could be as a direct result of having a contract under his belt and not having the nervousness and uncertainty about his footballing as well as financial future. When it is your livelihood and career at stake most of us can have no idea how tough it is to shine and impress, not everyone performs at their best under intense scrutiny and pressure. Now he can get on and just play  and develop further, I feel as any young player he needs time to settle and game time to form understandings on the pitch. Nice. To hear paddy doing the biz also. We'll done town.
Posted by: oldun, July 29, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 8
Ethan Robson, number 10 in midfield for Sunderland caught my eye. Unfortunately he went off after taking a knock in the second half.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 29, 2014, 9:59pm; Reply: 9
That was fairly entertaining, we also looked good switching to 433 second half. Really impressed with walker. Thought Sunderlands keeper was by far there best player.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 29, 2014, 10:08pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from oldun
Ethan Robson, number 10 in midfield for Sunderland caught my eye. Unfortunately he went off after taking a knock in the second half.

Very highly rated apparently.liverpool and moan u were sniffing around a couple of years ago so Sunderland snapped him up with the reward of a meaty signing on fee. Local lad
Posted by: TAGG, July 29, 2014, 10:18pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from oldun

Agree with all of this.
My first pre season game and now feel a bit better about our prospects for the coming season.
Bonus was the young lads doing so well tonight.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 29, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano

So we have resorted to personal insults then.

But you will be alright as you can hide behind your keyboard and give it the big un.

Another example of you being a helmet.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 30, 2014, 12:38pm; Reply: 13
Walker looked outstanding last night. Looks to have bit on a bit of muscle over the summer and worked on his pace - showed the Sunderland left-back a clean pair of heels for LJL's goal.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting against Bristol Rovers over Bignot.

It was men against boys and we're unlikely to play such nice opposition in the Conference, however you can only beat what's in front of you.  Disappointing finishing aside, we looked very good throughout.  The way we knocked about on the floor last night, no team in this league could contend with that.  I don't know if it's confidence, tactics or that we get dragged down to the levels of other teams but we need to do this more.  

I still maintain that we need to get Neilson inside and behind the front men rather than out on the wing.  He naturally wants to float about anyway, which can leave us unbalanced.  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 30, 2014, 1:11pm; Reply: 14
How was Danny Graham for them?

Do you think we could be in with a shout if he could cut it at our level?  ;)
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 30, 2014, 1:20pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from diehardmariner
Walker looked outstanding last night. Looks to have bit on a bit of muscle over the summer and worked on his pace - showed the Sunderland left-back a clean pair of heels for LJL's goal.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting against Bristol Rovers over Bignot.

It was men against boys and we're unlikely to play such nice opposition in the Conference, however you can only beat what's in front of you.  Disappointing finishing aside, we looked very good throughout.  The way we knocked about on the floor last night, no team in this league could contend with that.  I don't know if it's confidence, tactics or that we get dragged down to the levels of other teams but we need to do this more.  

I still maintain that we need to get Neilson inside and behind the front men rather than out on the wing.  He naturally wants to float about anyway, which can leave us unbalanced.  

Always been a quick lad mate, runs the 100 in 10 seconds.

Posted by: mariner91, July 30, 2014, 1:29pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I find that hard to believe. He'd have come first in the Commonwealth games if he was that quick.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 30, 2014, 1:31pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from mariner91

I find that hard to believe. He'd have come first in the Commonwealth games if he was that quick.

Went to school with him, holds the County record for 100 and 200. Set it at 11.01 or something stupid like that.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 30, 2014, 1:54pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Went to school with him, holds the County record for 100 and 200. Set it at 11.01 or something stupid like that.

So not 10 seconds then ? sorry, only joking.
i'm sure he's quick but even 11.01 as an under 17 would be top class sprinting. you may have bowled a googly there, coz he doesn't feature on Power of 10 rankings nor on the lincolnshire county athletics records

http://www.lincsathletics.org.uk/recordstandfmen.htm
Posted by: biggles9999, July 30, 2014, 1:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Lincolnshire county record is somewhere in the region of 10.6/10.7 I believe. Not doubting that he's always been quick but you have to remember that in 100m there is a massive difference between a 10 second time and an 11 second+ time.

Even at 11 seconds I suspect that he would have been picked up as a sprinter rather than as a 'maybe' player for a conference team.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 30, 2014, 2:04pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from forza ivano

So not 10 seconds then ? sorry, only joking.
i'm sure he's quick but even 11.01 as an under 17 would be top class sprinting. you may have bowled a googly there, coz he doesn't feature on Power of 10 rankings nor on the lincolnshire county athletics records

http://www.lincsathletics.org.uk/recordstandfmen.htm

That website is nearly 4 years out of date. He could have set it since it was updated.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 30, 2014, 2:06pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

So can i.........

you are talking feet i presume?? :P
Posted by: forza ivano, July 30, 2014, 2:17pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from psgmariner

That website is nearly 4 years out of date. He could have set it since it was updated.

would be on Power of 10 athletics rankings.all paul walkers listed here:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/athleteslookup.aspx?surname=WALKER&firstname=paul&club=
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, July 30, 2014, 2:49pm; Reply: 23
maybe a stupid question but has Paul Walker played in goal as soccer base has him as a goalie

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1148
Posted by: Abdul19, July 30, 2014, 2:52pm; Reply: 24
And Welsh. And 22.

They've put the wrong link in somewhere as that's this bloke: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18444623
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 30, 2014, 3:06pm; Reply: 25
As we are talking about fast young sprinters: Tom Somers is a 17 year old from York.  He ran in the 200 metres at the World Junior Championships this week.  His time of 20.37 secs in winning his semi-final puts him as the second fastest ever 17 year old in the world.   Only Usain Bolt has run faster at this age.        
Posted by: forza ivano, July 30, 2014, 3:46pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
As we are talking about fast young sprinters: Tom Somers is a 17 year old from York.  He ran in the 200 metres at the World Junior Championships this week.  His time of 20.37 secs in winning his semi-final puts him as the second fastest ever 17 year old in the world.   Only Usain Bolt has run faster at this age.        

he's in with some damn good names on the all time UK top 10.

1     20.29          -0.2     20.08          Christian Malcolm          03.06.79     Dan Pfaff     Cardiff     Kuala Lumpur, MAS     19 Sep 98     
2     20.37          1.9     20.37     PB     Thomas Somers          28.04.97     Geoffrey Barraclough     City of York     Eugene OR, USA     24 Jul 14     
3     20.38          1.1     19.98          Adam Gemili          06.10.93     Michael Afilaka     Blackheath & Bromley     Derby     9 Sep 12     
4     20.54          0.8     20.54     PB     Ade Mafe          12.11.66          London Irish     Cottbus, GER     25 Aug 85     
5     20.62          -0.7     20.62     PB     Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake          02.04.94     Dennis Shaver     Ilford     Rieti, ITA     20 Jul 13     
5     20.62          1.8     20.62     PB     Leon Reid          26.07.94     James Hillier     Bristol & West     Rieti, ITA     20 Jul 13     
7     20.63          0.5     20.34          Chris Lambert          06.04.81          Belgrave     Neubrandenburg, GER     21 Aug 99     
8     20.64          0.6     20.58          Dwayne Grant          17.07.82     John Powell     Blackheath & Bromley     Mannheim, GER     16 Jun 01     
20.4     w     3.7                                        Bedford     1 Jul 01     
9     20.67          0.6     20.66/20.3          David Jenkins          25.05.52          Edinburgh Uni     Munich (D), GER     4 Sep 71     
20.6                                                  Siena, ITA     19 Sep 71     
9     20.67          1.3     20.67     PB     Tim Benjamin          02.05.82     Tony Lester     Belgrave     Cardiff     17 Jun 01     
20.60     w     3.6                                   
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 30, 2014, 5:00pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

He looked poor and uninterested.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 30, 2014, 10:12pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from psgmariner

No not possible.

Foreskin ivano knows everything including 100m records.
Posted by: TAGG, July 30, 2014, 10:18pm; Reply: 29

Stood picking his nose at one point in the first half  :)
Posted by: forza ivano, July 30, 2014, 11:27pm; Reply: 30
[quote=2712]

But you will be alright as you can hide behind your keyboard and give it the big un.

Another example of you being a helmet

No not possible.

Two quotes from the new Aaron rattray

Need I say more?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 31, 2014, 8:19am; Reply: 31
Quoted from forza ivano
[quote=2712]

Another example of you being a helmet

No not possible.

Two quotes from the new Aaron rattray

Need I say more?

Yes you forgot to leave out you started with them.

How convinient.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 31, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 32
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Yes you forgot to leave out you started with them.

How convinient.

I think you'll find the word is 'convenient'  :P
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 31, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 33

Sunderland fans told him he was a disgrace at the end of the game. On the way out one said to me that he didn't think we'd give him house room. Didn't look like he was worth 5 million pence let alone 5 million quid.

Town looked very good all round. Everyone had a good run out and it looked very promising. Pearson was unlucky not to score from Nielsen's corner and their goalkeeper saved them several times. Their keeper was the only one you'd want to get in on loan on Tuesday night's showing.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 5:27pm