Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Perkins, July 30, 2014, 5:30pm
Anyone remember:

1.Football Rattles.

2.Rosettes.

3.The Guy in the black and white striped suit and top hat walking round the side of the pitch getting the crowd going.

4.The Telegraph Photographer and his HUGE camera, pulling HUGE photographic plates out the back and giving them to a lad who jumped on his bike and pedalled like hell to the offices to ensure they were printed in the Football Telegraph that evening.

5.The old guy who continually shouted "Are You There Wouldy" to our illustrious as then chairman F A Would.

6.Hanging numbered plates up on the fencing to give half time scores that would correspond with the fixtures in your programme. (never seemed to tally)

7.Coming down the back exit steps of the Barratts Stand and wondering if you would make it down before it collapsed, (or caught fire because of a stray dog
end).

8.Dads carrying stools and boxes for the kids to stand on. (Now banned under Health and Safety Regs)

9.Grown ups passing kids overhead to the front so they could sit on the ash track and see the game. (Also now banned under Health and Safety regs)

10. Brass bands marching before the kick off.(Grimsby Borough Police Band mainly)

11.Leaving your push bike in an old lasses front garden in Imperial Ave for a tanner, and trying to untangle yours from a stack of about 40 others after the game.

12.When no supporter in the ground could be seen wearing a match day shirt. (when did that start?)

Cos i do.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 30, 2014, 5:33pm; Reply: 1
"Cos i do."

Thats cos your old  :)
Posted by: Perkins, July 30, 2014, 5:37pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Madeleymariner
"Cos i do."

Thats cos your old  :)

Yes, and no wiser, I'm still going.

Posted by: northbankmariner, July 30, 2014, 6:10pm; Reply: 3
Don't remember many of those to be honest, do remember the majorette band at half time, with their xylophones etc,were they called the marching mariners or something?  I think old in and Grimsby Pete will remember these days, I only have vague memories of the old Barrett stand never been in it. But I do remember those nbered boards depicting scores from other games, Christ i am older than I thought lol
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 30, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 4
I remember when we were good and as a kid you got in at half time for free  ;)
Posted by: mariner tommy, July 30, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 5
Remember them all Perkins, ahh, the good old days.

UTM
Posted by: gaz57, July 30, 2014, 6:16pm; Reply: 6
Charles Ekberg ( before JT )
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 30, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 7
Rolls of toilet paper thrown when we scored.  What was that about??

There was also a lack of information about the results of other matches.  But then we had a very different news management society.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 30, 2014, 6:36pm; Reply: 8
The kid who used to walk up and down the front of The Pontoon doing Norman Wisdom impressions!
Posted by: Meza, July 30, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 9
The bloke who had a tattooed body climbing the pole in the pony during the 90's cant remember the game.
Posted by: oldun, July 30, 2014, 6:46pm; Reply: 10
Remember them all plus the half time charity collection when people walked round with a bed sheet and fans hurled coins into it. "Elf n safety" would have none of this today.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, July 30, 2014, 6:53pm; Reply: 11
I also remember all you've recalled.

The boys compound in the Barratts where you got in cheap and then your dad would lift you out into the main Barratts.

Slightly later but still a good memory: Dave Clark Five and 'Glad All Over' before the game.
Posted by: RoboCod, July 30, 2014, 7:10pm; Reply: 12
Chucking snowballs at Mike Channon
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 30, 2014, 7:20pm; Reply: 13
The concierge in the black suit peaked cap with GTFC badge on who used to welcome the visiting teams and guest into the players and directors entrance that was when we had a bit of class around the place
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 30, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 14
The brick entrance into the Barrett and pontoon stand thought it was a bit like loosing the wembley domes when that came down
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 30, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 15
13.  When Town finally granted vuvuzelas to be blown in Blundell Park on match days. [img]http://i.imgur.com/XbPZdP7.gif[/img]
Posted by: Abdul19, July 30, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 16
Away fans.
Posted by: wigworld, July 30, 2014, 7:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

There was also a lack of information about the results of other matches.  But then we had a very different news management society.

I remember there was always a bloke straining to listen to a little radio to get the other scores.

Posted by: promotion plaice, July 30, 2014, 7:37pm; Reply: 18
Remember coming down the back exit steps of the Barratts stand where you could see blokes peeing in the old
toilet block ( no roof ) .  They don't plan grounds like that anymore.
Posted by: cod_head_doug, July 30, 2014, 7:39pm; Reply: 19
yes, I remember all that, and walking down the Imperial Ave to see the the brick and stone main entrance. My dad giving me a tanner (thats six old pennies, around 2 1/2 pence today, not a tenner ) to go into the boys paddock and then walking round to the main Barratt stand and being crushed for a couple of hours. Do you remember changing ends at half time ?
One thing I dont miss is the old "toilet" in the back of the pontoon stand which was pitch black, stunk and downright horrible, and you never walked behind the barratt stand at half time in case you got caught in the yellow rain !
Posted by: ivanosandwich, July 30, 2014, 8:08pm; Reply: 20
Seeing the Happy Mariner in the Sports Telegraph after the game. A big smile if we win, bit of a sideways glance for a draw and a really down expression when we lost. Also seem to recall that his hat had almost fallen off in the lost photo, exposing his bald head.
Posted by: Teesknees, July 30, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 21
I remember the odd shaped St John's ambulance men and women who used to sit against the fence facing the pitch on the Barrett side of the ground, never saw them called into action! They reminded me of the vultures off Bedknobs and broomsticks.

Also a distant memory of being squashed to fck in the Barrett stand just trying to get half way up was a challenge on big game days and the chaos when we scored.... but it was fcking brilliant!! Also remember the Floral dance by Terry Wogan being played at half time and as it was fcking cold everyone stamping their feet in time to the music and thinking the stand was gonna collapse! People pi ssing into bottles, but not throwing them..... or was that just a dream!!?

I still have my football rattle which I wrapped in black and white stripped tape... God knows what to do with it, it's maybe a foot long.... can't use it for Health and Safety reasons or it would be also classsed as disturbing the peace, or possessing an illegal weapon!!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 30, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 22
I remember them all.

Plus

watching Town's A team play in the Midland League

being allowed to sit in the seats in the Osmond for reserve matches

the lousy sweets we used to buy from the kids with the trays walking round the track

charity collections with people throwing coins into a flag or a sheet carried round the track

being able to change ends at half time

standing up to watch a game

dashing out on the whistle to be first on the bus to Riby Square

Posted by: Brazilnut, July 30, 2014, 8:30pm; Reply: 23
People selling the Telegraph walking thro the stands ....would be robbed now!!!!!
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, July 30, 2014, 8:53pm; Reply: 24
I can remember when we had the cons corner, and trying to decipher the  letters board and the page in the program for half time scores  :)
Posted by: Doubled, July 30, 2014, 9:03pm; Reply: 25
I have vague memories of a "golden goal" competition, Can anyone remember how it worked?
Was there a time printed in the programme?
Posted by: Kk700, July 30, 2014, 9:11pm; Reply: 26
I remember selling those sweets and getting in free. We sat on the track behind the pontoon goal and had the best views
Posted by: Saudimariner, July 30, 2014, 9:15pm; Reply: 27
The song "Do what you do do well, boys" when Town came down the tunnel
The floor of the Barratt Stand bouncing up and down when people stamped their feet to warm them up
Rust falling down from the roof when a ball landed on it
The lad with the broken leg in plaster marching up and down the Barratt Stand playing a trumpet
Posted by: Belfast Town, July 30, 2014, 9:29pm; Reply: 28
Fences behind the goals!
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, July 30, 2014, 9:37pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Perkins
Anyone remember:

1.Football Rattles.

2.Rosettes.

3.The Guy in the black and white striped suit and top hat walking round the side of the pitch getting the crowd going.

4.The Telegraph Photographer and his HUGE camera, pulling HUGE photographic plates out the back and giving them to a lad who jumped on his bike and pedalled like hell to the offices to ensure they were printed in the Football Telegraph that evening.

5.The old guy who continually shouted "Are You There Wouldy" to our illustrious as then chairman F A Would.

6.Hanging numbered plates up on the fencing to give half time scores that would correspond with the fixtures in your programme. (never seemed to tally)

7.Coming down the back exit steps of the Barratts Stand and wondering if you would make it down before it collapsed, (or caught fire because of a stray dog
end).

8.Dads carrying stools and boxes for the kids to stand on. (Now banned under Health and Safety Regs)

9.Grown ups passing kids overhead to the front so they could sit on the ash track and see the game. (Also now banned under Health and Safety regs)

10. Brass bands marching before the kick off.(Grimsby Borough Police Band mainly)

11.Leaving your push bike in an old lasses front garden in Imperial Ave for a tanner, and trying to untangle yours from a stack of about 40 others after the game.

12.When no supporter in the ground could be seen wearing a match day shirt. (when did that start?)

Cos i do.

Fantastic post! 12 out of 12 for me

What about paying an extra thrupence at a turn style to get into the Pontoon?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 30, 2014, 9:44pm; Reply: 30
Informing away fans that they were going to get their heads kicked in!  ;D
Posted by: chaos33, July 30, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Yep, and shredded newspaper thrown into the air as confetti when we came out of the tunnel.
The players walking into the centre of the pitch and then forming a line and raising their arms in the air before turning a 360 waving to all sections of the crowd. 'Up the Mariners' playing on the public address system. Being packed in on the Pontoon and going mental when we scored, trying desparately not to to be trampled to the floor and then popping up in a completely different part of the stand when the celebrations died down - battered, but joyful, seeing if you could loocate your mates again.

I too remember the Norman Wisdom impersonator (class). A bloke called Gobby Dave starting the 'I'll give you a G..' chant. Singing 'you're gonna get your f***ing heads kicked in' when we conceded. Shouting 'Nigel where's your 3 wheeler?' to Batchy. Reseve games being free to get in.......
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 30, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 32
Getting in The Pontoon early to get your usual spot when you knew it was going to be a big crowd only for some 6' 8" bloke to come and stand in front of you a minute before kick-off.

The surge down the terraces when we came anywhere near The Pontoon goal, and ending up about 20 yards away from where you were originally stood celebrating a goal like a complete nutter with total strangers.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 30, 2014, 10:11pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ivanosandwich
Seeing the Happy Mariner in the Sports Telegraph after the game. A big smile if we win, bit of a sideways glance for a draw and a really down expression when we lost. Also seem to recall that his hat had almost fallen off in the lost photo, exposing his bald head.

Actually two faces for the draw. One for a home draw and a marginally happier one for an away draw.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 30, 2014, 10:15pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Toilet rolls? For me it was bus ticket rolls

Used to find them on the shelf behind the bench seat just as you got on the bus (where the pole was that you could hang off - remember that. Great fun!!)

I bet there were a few "clippies" who used to curse (and maybe the drivers got annoyed too - sorry Pete!!  ;)  ) when they came to change the roll in their ticket machine and couldn't find any  

Well they could have done if they'd gone looking further afield....they were just hanging off the goal at the Pontoon end every time we scored  :)
Posted by: Saudimariner, July 30, 2014, 10:19pm; Reply: 35
Someone coming out of the Pontoon every home game to give Harry Wainman an orange (he made the mistake of telling the GET he liked oranges)
Posted by: Belfast Town, July 30, 2014, 10:29pm; Reply: 36
Posters on the buses advertising the match: Town versus xxxxx.

Nicked loads as souvenirs. Still in the loft I think with all my programmes!
Posted by: TonySmith, July 30, 2014, 10:51pm; Reply: 37
Dave Worthington ball juggling as part of his warm up,his specialty being flicking the ball over his head and catching it between the shoulder blades
Stuart Brace scoring 4 in a game against Oldham including 3 in about 6 minutes
Dave Boylen scoring direct from a corner against Plymouth
And on and on. Oh, happy days of my carefree youth!
Posted by: Grimal, July 30, 2014, 11:12pm; Reply: 38
I havn't been a Town supporter as long as most of you on here but sounded like great times, so what the hell do we want to move to a new stadium for,it would never feel the same to you guys with your fond memories.UTM.
Posted by: LH, July 30, 2014, 11:18pm; Reply: 39
I can just about remember Mini Mariner and smoking in BP being legal.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 30, 2014, 11:26pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
I can remember when we had the cons corner, and trying to decipher the  letters board and the page in the program for half time scores  :)

Ah the constitutional avenue open corner to give its proper title.  As a 10 year old at my first game, it felt like a place of beauty.  Later on the Findus was never quite the same.
Posted by: jaymariner, July 30, 2014, 11:38pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from LH
I can just about remember Mini Mariner and smoking in BP being legal.

That's about as far back as I remember, missed out on some great times and experiences by the sounds of things. I really hope some manner of 'good' times come back to BP
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 31, 2014, 4:36pm; Reply: 42
***scoreflash***
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 31, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 43
The bloke in the Barratts who shouted "You're bloody rubbish number 3" every week, irrespective of who was playing.
Posted by: Sigone, July 31, 2014, 8:06pm; Reply: 44
The bloke in the imp corner who when the ref made his usual balls up would get 'You want molesting with the rough end of pineapple' screamed at him.  Everyone shouted pineapple at the same time, just about every Lino would crease up laughing, but how i miss my white wall that I would lean against as a young child.
Posted by: cod_head_doug, July 31, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 45
more memories from when I was a teenager in the pontoon stand.....

the chant at every home game "if you're going to (next away game) clap your hands"
burning the programmes on the wooden floor of the stand to keep warm at half time in the winter
burning any "captured" away colours, scarves etc in the stand
everyone in tank-tops, tonics, etc with skinhead haircuts and town scarves hanging off your belt, neck and wrists.
Chelsea trying to "take" the pontoon and failing miserably.
There were some hard nuts amongst our lads in them days.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 31, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 46
Trying to find your mates after a surge in the ponny
Or the fact it went ridiculously mental when town scored
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 31, 2014, 9:20pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from cod_head_doug
more memories from when I was a teenager in the pontoon stand.....

the chant at every home game "if you're going to (next away game) clap your hands"
burning the programmes on the wooden floor of the stand to keep warm at half time in the winter
burning any "captured" away colours, scarves etc in the stand
everyone in tank-tops, tonics, etc with skinhead haircuts and town scarves hanging off your belt, neck and wrists.
Chelsea trying to "take" the pontoon and failing miserably.
There were some hard nuts amongst our lads in them days.

I remember that fondly, I was only about 16 or 17 I think.

One of the Chelsea "invaders" nicked my scarf but it was witnessed by one such "hard nut" who ran after said thief, smacked him in the gob and returned my scarf.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 31, 2014, 10:03pm; Reply: 48
Didn't someone throw an apple at our keeper Charlie Wright - and he ate it!
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 31, 2014, 10:06pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Didn't someone throw an apple at our keeper Charlie Wright - and he ate it!

Before my time, but I remember Man City keeper Alex Williams being pelted with loads of bananas.

Can you image that happening today?   ??)
Posted by: TonySmith, July 31, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 50
Quoted Text
Before my time, but I remember Man City keeper Alex Williams being pelted with loads of bananas.

Can you image that happening today?  

No, and I hope we can all agree that's a bloody good thing. Shall we get all nostalgic for the monkey sounds that black players had to put up with in the 70's and 80's too?
Posted by: nickmariners, August 1, 2014, 9:04am; Reply: 51
Quoted from TonySmith
Dave Worthington ball juggling as part of his warm up,his specialty being flicking the ball over his head and catching it between the shoulder blades

I think that Dave Boylen direct-corner goal was against Reading, and it may even have been on an April Fool's Day. It was a real muddy old-fashioned game.

Also remember the Christmas/New Year games when the Barratts sang "Ingoldmells, Ingoldmells..." to the tune of Jingle Bells, and the place reeked of holiday cigar smoke.

I'm one of those who thinks we ought to stay at BP...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 1, 2014, 9:12am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Les Brechin

Agree totally. You seen the price of bananas!
A papaya is far better value
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 1, 2014, 9:26am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Les Brechin

When my dad used to take me to watch Hull City as a kid they had a goalkeeper called Ian Mckechnie and the fans used to throw oranges onto the goalmouth before kick off.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 1, 2014, 9:49am; Reply: 54
Quoted from promotion plaice

When my dad used to take me to watch Hull City as a kid they had a goalkeeper called Ian Mckechnie and the fans used to throw oranges onto the goalmouth before kick off.

From memory he was a similar shape to an orange. :)

Had a tremendously long range on his kick outs.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 1, 2014, 9:53am; Reply: 55
Quoted from nickmariners

I think that Dave Boylen direct-corner goal was against Reading, and it may even have been on an April Fool's Day. It was a real muddy old-fashioned game.

Also remember the Christmas/New Year games when the Barratts sang "Ingoldmells, Ingoldmells..." to the tune of Jingle Bells, and the place reeked of holiday cigar smoke.

I'm one of those who thinks we ought to stay at BP...

I know what you mean about moving. So much history there and it’s a fantastic “old school” football experience. I do wonder if it will be quite the same in a shiny new modern stadium surrounded by fields and carparks. Such a shame that BP appears to be unable to be sufficiently developed but if it is move or die then we have no choice.
Posted by: RoboCod, August 1, 2014, 11:31am; Reply: 56
The guy in the early 80's who used to sing, all by himself, "Lincolnshire,Lincolnshire,Lincolnshire..." when it was all the rage to sing "Humberside,Humberside,Humberside..."
Posted by: psgmariner, August 1, 2014, 1:02pm; Reply: 57
Relatively recent but the score board saying "make some noise boys" and then displaying a fishing line and "sing when we're fishing".

Weren't the score flashes sponsored by David Bury?
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, August 1, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 58
Remember when town fans set light to part of pontoon during a game and chanting to opposition were on fire your not!!
John Cockeril scoring direct from a corner against Wolves and lower findus went mental I was sat on front red bar and getting launched head first into fence a bloke buying me a mars to apologies.
Being a ball boy in a track suit ten times too big and Harry Willis sliding to keep ball in and sliding straight into me!
Ball boy another time getting gobbed on by away fans...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 1, 2014, 1:33pm; Reply: 59
I remember the cockerels corner too though thought it was v donny and the main stand going mental
Posted by: thevera, August 1, 2014, 1:56pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Saudimariner
Someone coming out of the Pontoon every home game to give Harry Wainman an orange (he made the mistake of telling the GET he liked oranges)

A few years ago I had a customer in Harrogate ask If I went to the Town games and could I remember the young girl who presented Harry with his oranges? When i told her I remembered that very well she informed me that girl was herself.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 1, 2014, 2:04pm; Reply: 61
The bloke in the Barratts who shouted "You're bloody rubbish number 3" every week, irrespective of who was playing.

Yes, and he would sometimes throw in 'You're bloody rubbish number 7" for a bit of variety.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, August 1, 2014, 2:16pm; Reply: 62
Dogs on the pitch during play, and a Fox if I remember correctly.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, August 1, 2014, 3:43pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I remember the cockerels corner too though thought it was v donny and the main stand going mental

I thought it was Wolves in FA Cup but maybe wrong it was the game when he scored direct from corner anyway. The claim culture now I would have got a grand in compo instead I got a mars and was buzzing!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 1, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 64
It could've been mate. It was one or the other and both games were fa cup same season
Posted by: Perkins, August 1, 2014, 3:49pm; Reply: 65
i maybe be getting two incidents rolled up in one, but i distinctly remember Malcom Partridge getting a head injury and going off for treatment, when he came back on with his head covered with so much bandaging that we thought a Sikh had come on the pitch, obviously still concussed he started to kick the wrong way and had to be taken of. The other incident, wether it was the same game or another was when a partridge landed on the field and started to run the length of the pitch. Safe to assume that everyone at the match was convinced that the bird was faster and nimbler than Malcolm.
Posted by: Sigone, August 1, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 66
And the ref that day was partridge.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 1, 2014, 6:11pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
and a Fox if I remember correctly.

Yeah I think that was the Southend game. Widdrington and banners and all that.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 1, 2014, 6:14pm; Reply: 68
Anyone know when we had the first streaker at BP?

Have we ever had a female streaker?
Posted by: TonySmith, August 2, 2014, 2:27am; Reply: 69

"It could've been mate. It was one or the other and both games were fa cup same season"

Definitely Wolves in a 1-0 F.A. Cup victory.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 2, 2014, 7:31am; Reply: 70
Cockerill scored direct from a corner against Wolves in the FA Cup but he also scored against Donny too although that wasn't a corner it was just a verynnarrow angle.  Here's that Donny goal.

[youtube]8ZU9Ppf5brY[/youtube]
Posted by: barralad, August 2, 2014, 8:02am; Reply: 71
Quoted from crusty ole pie
The concierge in the black suit peaked cap with GTFC badge on who used to welcome the visiting teams and guest into the players and directors entrance that was when we had a bit of class around the place

The incomparable Tom Fox-Did the job well into his 80's. Anyone who ever played in the Lindsey League had good reason to be grateful for Tom's love of all things football.
Posted by: barralad, August 2, 2014, 8:04am; Reply: 72
Quoted from TonySmith

Great memories...
Posted by: oldun, August 2, 2014, 9:39am; Reply: 73
I remember an incident in the old Barratt Stand when someone threw a bottle onto the pitch and a Norwich player threw it back hitting one of the stand supports and showering glass down onto a young lad.  The crowd went mental and the said player went and played over on the main stand side for the rest of the game. The players name escapes me.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 2, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 74
Quoted from Perkins
Anyone remember:

1.Football Rattles.

2.Rosettes.

end).

Cos i do.

Great post. I'm old enough, unfortunately, to remember 7 out of 12 of them!
1st game I ever went to was Darlo at home in 71-72. Dad took a box for me and my brother, just remember how packed it was and there was scrapping in the osmond. Nobody's mentioned the open air toilets at the back of the main stand.
Always thought bp was at its best under lights.atmosphere just seemed much better. Ivano doing his tour of the ground after his WBA winner, spanking Norwich in the fa cup with a weakened team and some of the superb flowing football we played under laws. The Exeter promotion game was awesome and scrapping on the pitch with Stoke. Wish we still had that bloke in uniform and that we gave out fish to the opposition.would give us a bit of class.
Is that little snug posh bar still deep in the main stand? Went in thee once as a youngster and it seemed like a little oasis of calm
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 2, 2014, 11:54am; Reply: 75
I remember I had a rattle but could not make it work :o and also remember wearing a rosette at a cup match once but cant remember when.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 2, 2014, 12:07pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I remember I had a rattle but could not make it work :o and also remember wearing a rosette at a cup match once but cant remember when.

Think I had one for the burnley cup match in 72-73
Posted by: Belfast Town, August 2, 2014, 12:11pm; Reply: 77
I vividly remember the minute's silence when a trawler was lost at sea. Very poignant and demonstrates the strong links between the club and community.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 2, 2014, 3:31pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Belfast Town
I vividly remember the minute's silence when a trawler was lost at sea. Very poignant and demonstrates the strong links between the club and community.

And ironically some of the community don't want a new ground!!!!
Posted by: barralad, August 2, 2014, 8:07pm; Reply: 79
The guy in the late 80s early 90s who used to shout at the top of his substantial Scottish voice "Get f***in in'tae 'em" who used to stand on the terraces between the Pontoon and the Findus

"Sing When We're Fishing"-the magazine not the chant....

Moving from end to end in the ground-particularly at night games...if Town were kicking towards the Osmond in the second half...
Posted by: nickmariners, August 2, 2014, 8:57pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

And ironically some of the community don't want a new ground!!!!

That's a tad unfair - it's nothing to do with any lack of concern about our once major local industry, and you could just as easily claim that some of Town's support don't care about the legit objections of many local residents to a new stadium.  You can't really have a 'community stadium' if large portions of the community are agin it.

Anyroad, to add to memories thread -- remember shouting "i-ya Elton" to Elton John in the Director's Box during a visit by Watford one wet and windy midweek match in the 70's. It was in the days when you could run all around the ground.  I think it was a year or so before he and Lincolnshire Lad Bernie Taupin penned the not-terribly-impressive "Grimsby, my Grimsby"

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 2, 2014, 9:51pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from nickmariners

That's a tad unfair - it's nothing to do with any lack of concern about our once major local industry, and you could just as easily claim that some of Town's support don't care about the legit objections of many local residents to a new stadium.  You can't really have a 'community stadium' if large portions of the community are agin it.

Anyroad, to add to memories thread -- remember shouting "i-ya Elton" to Elton John in the Director's Box during a visit by Watford one wet and windy midweek match in the 70's. It was in the days when you could run all around the ground.  I think it was a year or so before he and Lincolnshire Lad Bernie Taupin penned the not-terribly-impressive "Grimsby, my Grimsby"

A tad unfair? What are you on about??? I being you to just a couple of examples :

Newts in great coated
Allotment holders
People thinking it will interfere with the crem
Cllr defruityarse

That's more than a tad fair! Like it or not, there is an element that don't want us to have a new stadium for one reason or another
Posted by: TAGG, August 2, 2014, 10:24pm; Reply: 82

I did that two or three times before going off to sell Telegraphs in the Barrett stand.
Posted by: northbankmariner, August 2, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from barralad

"Sing When We're Fishing"-the magazine not the chant....

Crickey forgot all about that, when it was on sale always picked one up outside the ground. Preferred it to the official programme to be honest.
Posted by: nickmariners, August 2, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

A tad unfair? What are you on about??? I being you to just a couple of examples :

Newts in great coated
Allotment holders
People thinking it will interfere with the crem
Cllr defruityarse

That's more than a tad fair! Like it or not, there is an element that don't want us to have a new stadium for one reason or another

What am I "on about"? Sorry, if it was unclear:

1) I politely stated thought it was unfair to link opposition to a new stadium to lack of respect to sunken trawlers. A total non-sequiter, in fact

2) precisely: that was my point -- there IS an element that does not want a stadium "for one reason or another" - and they are fully entitled to their views.
Posted by: Badger57, August 3, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Perkins
Anyone remember:

1.Football Rattles.
2.Rosettes.
end).

Cos i do.

1. Yes! My dad made me one painted in black and white stripes but you needed the strength of Sampson to make it work. Ok, slight exaggeration but my little seven year old hands had to be used in conjunction using what little muscle power I had to make it work! Made a heck of a racket though! :>)
2. Yep. There used to be a guy who sold them from a tray especially at cup ties.
3. Yah but only very vaguely. I remember a guy in the pontoon with a Jimmy Saville (YIKES! sorry!) haircut with one half dyed black and the other bleached white!
4. Yes indeed.
5. Nope but I did use to like the shout, Harry Harry Harry! :>)
6. Yeah but they were useless weren't they? LOL!
7. Yeah! BP NEVER had the same atmosphere when it was replaced. :(
8. Of course. And old milk crates!
9. Yep. I was one of them! :>)
10. Can't say as I can but they did have some at half time. Think the Marching Mariners did a performance before the game though.
11. Nah, use to leave mine at a mate's house in Colin Avenue and walk from there, although I often walked from my home in Dixon Avenue near the crem or from Hainton Avenue when I lived there!
12. Yup but I only ever had one myself and that wasn't black and white. It was the Barcelona blue and red away strip from Ivano Bonetti era. Got him to sign it for me at Swingtime golf centre when he visited there and never wore it again, still got it! :>) ......Thinking about it, I think I did have another one. Think it was all Yellow with a red collar possibly? Same sort of era or am I just imagining that one???  

Ahhh great memories. :>) Enjoyed that, thanks!
Posted by: barralad, August 3, 2014, 10:08pm; Reply: 86
Dave Duranne a local folk singer who stood in the centre circle before home games playing the guitar and singing "We Shall Overcome"...Think he lasted about two games....
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 4, 2014, 8:32am; Reply: 87
I remember illustrious gy (I think they we called) playing before a game in the Harrington st corner. Maybe v Sunderland
Posted by: chaos33, August 4, 2014, 9:24am; Reply: 88
Yeah I remember that. It was pretty @rse though wasn't it.  :X
Posted by: marinerjase, August 4, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 89
Always used to be a buzz around the ground..you knew a game was taking place 3 hours before. My memories include standing on a milk crate in the Barratt Stand, calling Watford Ross Jenkins a name and sh**ting myself when he stared back, Marching Majorettes? pre games, good old fashioned warm ups (ie none), Bobby Cumming launching into someone, Harry Wainmans shop...

Back then it was easier for the club to get fans in, leagues were competitive, no gulf in between...now Tv and money ensure the gulf gets bigger, people can get a virtual season ticket for a Prem club via their tv's and you wouldn't know a game was on at BP before or during now if you weren't there.

I still maintain money is killing football in this country. Know I'm going to get hammered for that but genuinely believe that is the case.

And re community stadium and some comments above - Nick has it right..the vast majority of people in/around the Town don't give two hoots if Gtfc get a new ground. Sad but true...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 4, 2014, 10:17am; Reply: 90
Quoted from marinerjase

I still maintain money is killing football in this country. Know I'm going to get hammered for that but genuinely believe that is the case.

And re community stadium and some comments above - Nick has it right..the vast majority of people in/around the Town don't give two hoots if Gtfc get a new ground. Sad but true...

I put exactly the same and got slated...........good luck!  :P
Posted by: barralad, August 4, 2014, 11:57am; Reply: 91
Quoted from marinerjase

The fact that only 4500-ish out of potentially 200,000 have signed the petition suggests that is true. However, once there are concrete plans in place I think the numbers in favour will grow quite quickly. At the moment there are no physical plans. It will be interesting to see whether the latest in the Telegraph stimulates more interest.

Posted by: barralad, August 4, 2014, 12:07pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I put exactly the same and got slated...........good luck!  :P

Surprised really as it's not a "slatable" issue. Only someone without any feeling for the past could not be even a little upset at leaving B.P. For all Town fans (especially those my age :-/) there are fantastic memories. What I don't want is for those memories to be all that we have left. If we stay at B.P. I can only see the slow, painful decline continuing until JF decides there are better ways of spending his money and no-one wants to take it on.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 4, 2014, 12:22pm; Reply: 93
I couldn't agree more!!
I wod even welcome the stands being kept as their original names. Would hate to have something different, but could understand if a stand was to be named after a player/manager. ( decent one as don't fancy being in the bobby Roberts/Ashley sestanovich stand)
Posted by: oldun, August 4, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 94
Allotment corner has nice quaint feel about
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 10:11am