Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 24, 2014, 12:52pm
for all the negativity when he signed, he was brilliant yesterday, my MOTM
Posted by: BrickTop, August 24, 2014, 1:00pm; Reply: 1
Good to hear. Did he sit back and allow others to attack or, was he involved in much of the attacking play?
I'm pleased for the lad after reading some of the pre season views of him on here.

UTM
Posted by: MrsMariner, August 24, 2014, 1:16pm; Reply: 2
Where did he play? what was his role in the team? I was very surprised to see him start but obviously it worked
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 24, 2014, 1:39pm; Reply: 3
Centre Mid, looked very comfortable every time he had the ball, great strength and cannot recall him giving it away needlessly
Posted by: DocTower, August 24, 2014, 2:26pm; Reply: 4
It appears that players that were rested could be rested again .
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 24, 2014, 2:36pm; Reply: 5
Good news then, another gem picked up by Hurst.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 24, 2014, 4:03pm; Reply: 6
The lad has potential. He's very much a hard working, ball winner and keep it simple type of midfielder. Your not going to see him skip past a couple of players like a Neilson, or play a 60 yard pass like a Thanoj, he's realised what he's good at and needs to stick to that. Good on the lad!
Posted by: Maringer, August 24, 2014, 4:51pm; Reply: 7
I don't really remember Thanoj making many 40 yard passes, to tell the truth, let alone 60 yard ones!

As for Clay, I was surprised when he signed as he looked out of place in the pre-season games, albeit against higher division teams. He performed competently enough in the two home games this season, even when out of position, so looks as though he could be a useful player.
Posted by: Tinymariner, August 24, 2014, 7:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jimgtfc
The lad has potential. He's very much a hard working, ball winner and keep it simple type of midfielder. Your not going to see him skip past a couple of players like a Neilson, or play a 60 yard pass like a Thanoj, he's realised what he's good at and needs to stick to that. Good on the lad!

Thanoj, 60 yard pass?
Clay had a great game yesterday.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 24, 2014, 7:14pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Tinymariner

Thanoj, 60 yard pass?
Clay had a great game yesterday.

Haha yeah maybe a tad generous, attempted pass then  ;D
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, August 24, 2014, 7:35pm; Reply: 10
I personally think a few on this thread should publicly apologise for their comments.
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1406555224/s-new/

He has acquitted himself very well this season so far and deserves an apology

Posted by: oldun, August 25, 2014, 8:22am; Reply: 11
I was one who could not believe we signed Craig. I am pleased to hear fans supporting him. Like it or not he is one of ours now. I hope he develops into a good player for us.
Posted by: mariner91, August 25, 2014, 8:42am; Reply: 12
Was surprised when he signed but if he keeps proving me and others wrong then that's great. Well done Craig, long may it continue.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 25, 2014, 9:40am; Reply: 13
He's been poor in the two games I've seen him (Brizzle and Dover), but the so was MacDonald in his first few games last season. I'm coming up to BP today in the hope of being wrong about Clay, I'd be more than happy to see him repeat what sounds like a decent performance on Saturday.
Posted by: Mariner21, August 25, 2014, 10:16am; Reply: 14
Same although he's not proved anything yet! Hope he carries on with this progression.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 25, 2014, 10:30am; Reply: 15
I was a bit worried about some of the opinions of Clay when he was on trial. So when he was signed i thought it may have been a bit of a panic signing.

The first couple of games i thought we was a bit anonymous and did give the ball away cheaply at times. That said i did think he was a lot better in the 2nd half against Dover. Was more involved and appears to have continued that against Gateshead.

like a previous poster said he may not be the type to dominate and dictate a game but he keeps it simple. Not a bad thing imo. He works very hard on and off the ball. Closes players down (something that has been lacking in our midfield) keeps the ball moving and gives it to the more creative ones.

He is still quite young and can keep getting better. You have to remember he has joined a new club and it can take a while to fully settle in so hopefully there is more to come.

He was signed as mainly cover but if he keeps performing will give PH some selection headaches.

Anyway he will only get better with our support so lets get behind him and the rest of the team. I will always root for the grafters and guys who give everything regardless of ability. Young Clay may well turn out to be a good signing for us.

Posted by: Welwynmariner, August 25, 2014, 10:41am; Reply: 16
Thought Clay did well in the pre-season against Sunderland so let's hope it continues.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 25, 2014, 5:25pm; Reply: 17
Seems to be growing every game, at this rate PH will have selection headaches. Another player who has stepped up and delivered.

Well done Craig on your performances in the last two games and taking your two goals today.
Posted by: Caesar, August 25, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 18
Was shocked at the negativity when we signed him, but admitted to be a bit unsure of him. Didn't see him today but by all accounts and 2 goals he did very well today. Thought he was excellent against Gateshead full of energy and while Brown and Paddy shone, he provided the cover to allow them to be more attacking. So chuffed for him after the poor reaction, may he continue to prove those doubters and ppl like myself wrong!
Posted by: barralad, August 25, 2014, 5:42pm; Reply: 19
Clay's first goal today was exquisite!
Posted by: boroughparker, August 25, 2014, 5:49pm; Reply: 20
Best mid field we've had for years
Posted by: Maringer, August 25, 2014, 5:49pm; Reply: 21
I thought he'd be used just as a backup defensive player when he signed, but he did well going forward today as well. Good finishes for both of his goals and a good run onto LJL's pass for the first. Keep it up, Craig!
Posted by: oldun, August 25, 2014, 5:54pm; Reply: 22
I am so pleased for him. It was a complete midfield performance from him for 90 mins today, capped by two good goals, definitely MOM for me. I was so wrong when I saw him before he signed. Midfield 3 the best for ages supporting the front players, creating openings and winning the ball back for us. Excellent.
Posted by: ackomariner, August 25, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from barralad
Clay's first goal today was exquisite!

Whs
Posted by: Biccys, August 25, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 24
I've said for years that a decent side has to have a solid spine. In Clay, Brown have we finally found a new Cockerill, Cunnington partnership?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 25, 2014, 6:31pm; Reply: 25
That link is embarrassing for a few people, i thought he would be a steady back up player but today he showed he has a very good football brain and can pass the ball
Posted by: MrsMariner, August 25, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner
That link is embarrassing for a few people, i thought he would be a steady back up player but today he showed he has a very good football brain and can pass the ball

Not for everyone Horsforthmariner said "Let's give the guy a chance he may well turn into a little diamond"
Posted by: cleefish, August 25, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 27
;D ;D ;D ;D well what a pair of great games to days very nearly A BLUE PRINT OF Saturdays felt more  enjoyable they are  good utm
Posted by: barralad, August 25, 2014, 9:00pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Only one or two "usual suspects" who I fear do not have it as a "weakness" to be embarrassed about their behaviour....
Posted by: RichMariner, August 25, 2014, 9:16pm; Reply: 29
I think I'm right in saying he was Chesterfield's young player of the season a couple of years back, so in that sense I'm sure Hurst knew there was a player in there - even if he didn't quite show it in his pre-season games.

Glad the so-called gamble is paying off, for everyone concerned.
Posted by: Tommy, August 25, 2014, 9:59pm; Reply: 30
Yet another example of why you don't write a player off after seeing him play one game. Especially when it's a pre-season friendly.

Absolutely embarrassing all the crap that was spouted a few weeks ago.
Posted by: Rik e B, August 25, 2014, 10:50pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Tommy
Yet another example of why you don't write a player off after seeing him play one game. Especially when it's a pre-season friendly.

Absolutely embarrassing all the crap that was spouted a few weeks ago.

This. Just crazy

Posted by: Grimal, August 25, 2014, 11:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ackomariner

Whs

I've just had a look in the Abbreviation dictionary and it say Whs  stands for,

Wanna have sex.  ;)  

If you don't believe me, take a look.(yes)
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 26, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 33
In a great team performance yesterday and with a few contenders for MOTM i would give it to Clay. Again a very workmanlike display, was all over the park, rarely gave the ball away and always looking to move forward. 2 well taken goals were the icing on the cake but what really caught my eye was his ability to pick a pass and in particular to put a slide-rule ball to the  forwards to run onto.

Did it a couple of times and is the type of ball that cuts open defences and is what strikers dream of. Hearn for example would have thrived on that and would have scored 30+ goals a season , more often that not he had to play with his back to goal. Pittman, Hannah and LJL (and Connell) will also benefit from this. Brown also has this type of play in his locker. We have pace up front now with also mckreth, neilson and Arnold . Adds a new dimension to our play

Midfield looks as good as it has done for several seasons. Paddy and Dis add to the competition for places. Its only 2 wins but 2 great wins that  have showed what we can do...lets keep it going.

Pleased for Clay in particular after the negativity upon his arrival. Keep it up lad.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 26, 2014, 4:28pm; Reply: 34
I personally think a few on this thread should publicly apologise for their comments.
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1406555224/s-new/

He has acquitted himself very well this season so far and deserves an apology

I cannot find if I commented but I have seen every game he has played including all the friendlies and have to say I haven't rated him, in fact in some he looked quite poor.

Yes he played very well against Alfreton but to get out of this shite league you need most of the players to play like they did yesterday in most games, playing the odd good game will not get us promoted.

Posted by: oldun, August 26, 2014, 5:20pm; Reply: 35
I admit I did not see much in his game in the pre-season friendlies, but I have to say I was wrong. The young man showed on Monday he has everything in his locker. He has a good engine and never stopped working. His positional play was very good. Finds space and is always available to receive the ball. Does nothing flash but plays intelligent passes quickly and accurately. He also spots danger and closes the opposition down quickly. The goals were the icing on the cake, the run he made for his first was brilliant and he finished very well. He seems to have grown in confidence now PH has showed faith in him and put him in the team. Played like he intends to make it difficult to be left out. Keep it up Craig.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, August 26, 2014, 7:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from arryarryarry

I cannot find if I commented but I have seen every game he has played including all the friendlies and have to say I haven't rated him, in fact in some he looked quite poor.

Yes he played very well against Alfreton but to get out of this shite league you need most of the players to play like they did yesterday in most games, playing the odd good game will not get us promoted.

Not sure whether you went to Gateshead or not but he did it there aswell. Personally me think he'll be very important against the possesion based teams like Barnet. We always seem to play deep and I remember last season playing them and Kerr forcing our back four to push higher up and not just sit deep and allow them to have the ball and both our goals came from us pressing high up the pitch and winning the ball.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 26, 2014, 8:03pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Not sure whether you went to Gateshead or not but he did it there aswell. Personally me think he'll be very important against the possesion based teams like Barnet. We always seem to play deep and I remember last season playing them and Kerr forcing our back four to push higher up and not just sit deep and allow them to have the ball and both our goals came from us pressing high up the pitch and winning the ball.

Like I said I have seen every game he has played and I didn't think he had that good a game at Gateshead, gave far too many balls away for my liking.
Posted by: acko338, August 27, 2014, 9:33am; Reply: 38
With the team staying roughly as it is, and playing in a similar vein to the weekend, Craig Clay could be really valuable in a Kerr / Niven role, but with simple accurate passes as an extra, along with the ability to nip in with some goals - got a good shot on him, and age on his side in that position as well - not hitting anywhere near the 30 mark !

If he gets a bit of a first team run, this midfield could turn into the best in this division - each playing their part, and Disley perhaps bossing any show in the 2nd halves when opponents' legs are not as fit and he isn't being rushed ??

It's a squad game, and those in place are starting to look as if the jigsaw is complete - love to also see Nathan Arnold and Ross Hannah in full flow when both are fully fit - no need to rush recoveries at present - using Arnold and Hannah as subs in the short term will keep the starting line ups fresh for each game.

Options in all areas, just need to keep the scouts away from McKeown !!

Boyce to sign for all season as well, please !!
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 27, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 39
Quoted from arryarryarry

Maybe he needed time to gel with the team, Nathan pond was poor against southport first game of the season when he came.

Posted by: arryarryarry, August 27, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Maybe he needed time to gel with the team, Nathan pond was poor against southport first game of the season when he came.

Quite possibly, and I do remember Pond having a poor game at Southport.

Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 10:25pm