Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: chaos33, March 28, 2015, 7:53am
The appearance of posts on the fishy has changed on my IPad and IPhone. It's awful. Anyone else got this?
Posted by: cardiffmariner, March 28, 2015, 7:58am; Reply: 1
Was just about to post the same! Had this on my ipad last night and thought it must be a glitch but it's the same on my PC this morning. If it's a deliberate change, I prefer the previous layout!
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 7:58am; Reply: 2
It has changed but you need to use the latest theme. Some of the older themes may look terrible.
Posted by: tintowner, March 28, 2015, 7:58am; Reply: 3
Yes. . .again.
Posted by: chaos33, March 28, 2015, 7:59am; Reply: 4
Rob it's terrible. There's just a big gap and then the message at the bottom of the space. Is there no alternative?
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 8:04am; Reply: 5
It sounds like you may be using the wrong theme. Are you on the latest?
Posted by: chaos33, March 28, 2015, 8:06am; Reply: 6
Whatever it's auto changed to overnight mate. As I say, big gap in the message box then the text underneath the ratings, right at the bottom. It's hard to read and looks like a glitch.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 28, 2015, 8:09am; Reply: 7
For anyone who does not know how to change you go into member centre and click on language and theme bottom left and you can change it to fishy latest there, hope this helps.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 28, 2015, 8:11am; Reply: 8
Quoted from GrimRob
It sounds like you may be using the wrong theme. Are you on the latest?

Wrong theme ? Do we have to dress up to login now.....is it hi vis or wigs i have lost track?   :P
Posted by: cardiffmariner, March 28, 2015, 8:12am; Reply: 9
I've changed to the latest theme, Rob, and this has moved the text to the top rather than the bottom.  However, there is a still a huge empty space below the text as each box seems to be a set size, rather than adjusting to the length of the message. The majority of what I'm looking at is empty space!
Posted by: LH, March 28, 2015, 8:13am; Reply: 10
Changed mine and it's still terrible on iPhone in portrait.
Posted by: lukeo, March 28, 2015, 8:14am; Reply: 11
As everyone says its the same on my laptop
Posted by: chaos33, March 28, 2015, 8:17am; Reply: 12
Quoted from cardiffmariner
I've changed to the latest theme, Rob, and this has moved the text to the top rather than the bottom.  However, there is a still a huge empty space below the text as each box seems to be a set size, rather than adjusting to the length of the message. The majority of what I'm looking at is empty space!

Exactly that.

It's just change for change's sake! :)

There was nothing wrong with the format before. It was perfect. In the words of my hero Alfred Wainwright 'I do wish people would just leave things alone!'
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, March 28, 2015, 8:21am; Reply: 13
The new theme is terrible (again) on iPhone. The old themes now also are terrible (after previously being able to revert back).
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 8:28am; Reply: 14
Put a screenshot on so I can see what you are on about. Everyone I have shown it to thought it was an improvement so you must be seeing something different than me.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, March 28, 2015, 8:40am; Reply: 15
It seems to have altered slightly again on the latest theme. Still not right though.

[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/exAAcnRbj][IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/537/AAcnRb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, March 28, 2015, 8:43am; Reply: 16
[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/pdIMxOIYj][IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/913/IMxOIY.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is what it looked like earlier.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 8:49am; Reply: 17
The latest screenshot looks fine. The old one was using an old theme which I agree look terrible . The following people were on old themes. I have upgraded you all to the latest theme: Garth, louth_in_the_south, LH, psgmariner, Sussexmariner, supertown, Chrisblor, Poojah, Neilo83, Rodley Mariner, chipsandgravy, gobby, the rhino, Mighty_Mariner, LondonMariner43, jamesgtfc, Codswede, jimgtfc, Rick12, percentagefootball, BraStrap, fishyrich, JMT, StickfordMariner, GrimExile.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 8:56am; Reply: 18
I've just realised the signatures have gone which is not intentional. Will have a look.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, March 28, 2015, 9:00am; Reply: 19
[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/paTHJHOwj][IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/910/THJHOw.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is the latest theme, portrait on iPhone.
Posted by: chaos33, March 28, 2015, 9:07am; Reply: 20
Yeah, bring back the signatures!
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 9:09am; Reply: 21
[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/paTHJHOwj][IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/910/THJHOw.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is the latest theme, portrait on iPhone.

Looks fine, the text wraps round which it is meant to (that was the change). We just need the sigs back that's why it looks a bit different.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 9:57am; Reply: 22
Quoted from GrimRob

Looks fine, the text wraps round which it is meant to (that was the change). We just need the sigs back that's why it looks a bit different.

Sigs are back!
Posted by: LH, March 28, 2015, 10:12am; Reply: 23
Picasso would be proud.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 28, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 24
Quoted from cmackenzie4
For anyone who does not know how to change you go into member centre and click on language and theme bottom left and you can change it to fishy latest there, hope this helps.

Thank you Chris, I have done that,

Can you now go on the Grimsby Telegraph and sort them out,

I rely on that website to keep up to date from our home town,

Bloody adverts popping up all the time.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 28, 2015, 10:36am; Reply: 25
Give it three days and i'll not notice the difference. @Goldfish.
Posted by: Meza, March 28, 2015, 10:50am; Reply: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete

Thank you Chris, I have done that,

Can you now go on the Grimsby Telegraph and sort them out,

I rely on that website to keep up to date from our home town,

Bloody adverts popping up all the time.

The GET is awful Pete.  How they allow for so many adds i do not know.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 28, 2015, 11:00am; Reply: 27
Don't like it at all
Posted by: bluebottle, March 28, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 28
(thumbdown)(thumbdown)(thumbdown)
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, March 28, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 29
Still all over the place for me...  :-/
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 28, 2015, 11:31am; Reply: 30
Sorry Rob. This format is not an improvement.

You know what they say -

If it ain't broke ...............
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 28, 2015, 11:33am; Reply: 31
Sorry Rob and I rarely boo but Booooooo, bring back the old format or I will create a new fishy but with blackjack and hookers.
Posted by: Garth, March 28, 2015, 11:46am; Reply: 32
All a bit stretched to me Rob, apart from the sigs, get used to it I suppose
Posted by: Abdul19, March 28, 2015, 11:55am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Marinerz93
Sorry Rob and I rarely boo but Booooooo, bring back the old format or I will create a new fishy but with blackjack and hookers.

;D
Posted by: gary_elton, March 28, 2015, 12:02pm; Reply: 34
Don't like this one little bit... sorry Rob... please bring back the old...
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 28, 2015, 12:05pm; Reply: 35
This needs a poll!  ;D
Posted by: friskneymariner, March 28, 2015, 12:08pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Marinerz93

If Carlsberg made websites.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 28, 2015, 12:48pm; Reply: 37
Far too much space for me after the text on each posting. Sorry but I preferred the previous format.
(I am using the latest format and settings)
Posted by: realist, March 28, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 38
Looks really good on my mobile, but a backward step on my PC. Why do they look so different?
Posted by: RichMariner, March 28, 2015, 2:47pm; Reply: 39
It don't look great on my laptop. Text seems to be all over the place. Great huge gaps, some posts look empty and then I see the text right at the bottom underneath the blue 'stats' box on the left.
Posted by: acko338, March 28, 2015, 3:03pm; Reply: 40
Just taken c mac's advice but still stuck on the new horrible looking format !!
Posted by: Mariners_15, March 28, 2015, 3:18pm; Reply: 41
Agreed with the majority here doesn't look right!
Posted by: Tinymariner, March 28, 2015, 3:20pm; Reply: 42
No one likes change.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 43
It should look like:

[img]http://www.thefishy.co.uk/crap/fishy1.jpg[/img]

not

[img]http://www.thefishy.co.uk/crap/fishy2.jpg[/img]

If it looks like the latter even after a complete refresh of the page (CTRL-F5 in Windows browsers) let me know what browswer you are using. I have  tested in Firebox, Safari (on my phone), Chrome and latest IE and all look ok.
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 28, 2015, 11:44pm; Reply: 44
New layout looks shite on my laptop and my phone. Just put it back to how it was.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 28, 2015, 11:47pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Chrisblor
New layout looks shite on my laptop and my phone. Just put it back to how it was.

Could you be specific?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 29, 2015, 6:36am; Reply: 46
Changed as Chris advised but it does not look as good as it use to so one question. WHY??
Posted by: GrimRob, March 29, 2015, 9:26am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Changed as Chris advised but it does not look as good as it use to so one question. WHY??

The Fishy has been gradually evolving over the last year. The reality is it has been changing nearly every month. The original design was in the days when everyone used large screens. Now over 50% of the traffic is from small devices, and if the trend continues they will get even smaller. A year ago you had to adjust your phone on every page to zoom in to read it. Now you can pick up any device and just read it without making adjustments, that is what I have been working towards. I am almost there.

So you might not think it has changed. The reality is it has changed dozens of times you have either not noticed or gradually got used it it many times over.

Anyway I have had another idea about how to do the latest responsive design change which will be very similar if not identical on larger screens to how it was. It will probably be paraded later today. So yesterday's change will be ditched. It's too hard to make it look right for every type of post and every type of signature.
Posted by: DocTower, March 29, 2015, 9:49am; Reply: 48
Well I must be in the minority , think its ok .
Posted by: barralad, March 29, 2015, 9:51am; Reply: 49
Quoted from DocTower
Well I must be in the minority , think its ok .

It's a growing minority then.... :)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 29, 2015, 9:56am; Reply: 50

Quoted from Chrisblor

Quoted from GrimRob

Could you be specific?

Can't get more specific than that Rob! ;D

Could you explain to us why you want to change it?

Posted by: GrimRob, March 29, 2015, 10:49am; Reply: 51

Quoted from Chrisblor

Can't get more specific than that Rob! ;D

Could you explain to us why you want to change it?

I did,. three posts up!
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 29, 2015, 11:53am; Reply: 52
I have no problem with it Rob,

AND

I know you work very hard for little reward,

So thanks and keep up the good work,

BUT

Change the bloody format or you will never hear the end of it. ;D ;D
Posted by: GrimRob, March 29, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 53
If anyone is interested the proposed new layout is on the test site.

http://www.thefishy.eu/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl

It should look very similar to how it was before the change this weekend for most people on tablets and higher resolution devices. The big difference is on mobiles in portait mode where the blue box at the left of the post disappears. I now longer try to wrap the text round it, so we are back to two columns. If you flip round to landscape on a decent smartphone you can see more.

I think it's better and simpler than what is now up but I'd apprreciate other opinions.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 30, 2015, 11:11am; Reply: 54
I think its fine Rob,

BUT

I did not have a problem with the other/ this one,

I only use a lap top my phone is only any good for sending texts and calling people. :B
Posted by: GrimRob, March 30, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 55
Following no negative feedback the layout has changed. It has returned to the old two column format with one big change. The left most column is not visible in portarit mode on a phone. Otherwise it is very similar to how it was last week. A few other minor bugs and cosmetic improvements have been made. It is recommended that you use the latest theme - which nearly everyone does.

No more changes to the forum structure are planned.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 30, 2015, 8:55pm; Reply: 56
So, we are back where we started then.  ;D
Posted by: Dan, March 30, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 57
It looks great on my phone Rob, for the first time it's actually readable.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, March 30, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 58
Yep now good for me, far easier to read in portrait :-)
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 30, 2015, 10:05pm; Reply: 59
It looks better now.
Posted by: Garth, March 30, 2015, 10:18pm; Reply: 60
Its OK with me
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 31, 2015, 4:40pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from ginnywings
So, we are back where we started then.  ;D

A bit like when the government makes a change then. ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, March 31, 2015, 9:52pm; Reply: 62
Many thanks Rob, I'm glad you changed it back because my wife didn't like the idea of me creating a new fishy with blackjack and hookers  ;D
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:26pm