Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 2:50pm
I'm sure this will get asked over the next few days so I'll put it out there now.

The away goals rule DOES NOT COUNT at any stage of the play-offs.

If the aggregate score is level after 90 minutes of the 2nd leg there is 30 minutes extra time and if the scores are still level then it goes to penalties.
Posted by: Biccys, April 27, 2015, 2:55pm; Reply: 1
Now THAT is a excrement way to lose an entire seasons efforts.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 2
Good to see the Conference actually doing something sensible. The away goals rule is one of the shittest rules in this world we call, er, earth.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 27, 2015, 3:36pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
Good to see the Conference actually doing something sensible. The away goals rule is one of the shittest rules in this world we call, er, earth.

It's not just the Conference. They have hardly ever been used in English football and never in any play-off game in this country. They are a European thing.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2015, 3:54pm; Reply: 4
Not strictly true, Robert ;)

"Before the 1999-2000 season away goals were used as a tie-breaker after extra time had been played, however, this was abolished following a club initiative launched by then-Ipswich Town chairman David Sheepshanks, after his club had twice lost on away goals in 1997 and 1999.[2] Since then away goals have played no part in the play-off system."

They're also used in the league cup semi finals.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 27, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 5
Does anyone know if a team wins if they have scored more away goals, if the aggregate scores are level after 2 matches?   ;D
Posted by: pizzzza, April 27, 2015, 4:06pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

Away goals DO NOT COUNT at any stage of the play-offs.

So if we win 3-0 on Thursday it counts for nothing?   ;)

Now please answer those other annual playoff related questions like why can't the final be held at Villa Park? And is the home leg included in the season ticket?
Posted by: moosey_club, April 27, 2015, 4:08pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from pizzzza

Now please answer those other annual playoff related questions like why can't the final be held at Villa Park? And is the home leg included in the season ticket?

Or the bigger one....why cant we win over two legs !!!???!!!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 27, 2015, 4:09pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from pizzzza

Ha ha. Wording suitable amended.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, April 27, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 9
I think the final should be held at Villa Park or Bramall Lane. You'd get a better atmosphere in a smaller ground and its easier to get to.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 27, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I think the final should be held at Villa Park or Bramall Lane. You'd get a better atmosphere in a smaller ground and its easier to get to.

Neither of those two grounds would be big enough if we play Bristol.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2015, 5:26pm; Reply: 11
And the easier to get to bit obviously depends on who's in it!
Posted by: Caesar, April 27, 2015, 5:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete

Neither of those two grounds would be big enough if we play Bristol.

I am not so sure Rovers will take that many to Wembley, I mean they have a huge base of support but a lot of that will go to City and I doubt there are many people who would go to both so would they really take that many more?  
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2015, 7:02pm; Reply: 13
They took 40k to the League 2 playoff final 8 years ago so I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar.
Posted by: Caesar, April 27, 2015, 8:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Abdul19
They took 40k to the League 2 playoff final 8 years ago so I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar.

Fair enough, that is a hell of a crowd to go, thought City would rob them of more fans that would that.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 27, 2015, 9:11pm; Reply: 15
I would think about 30,000 Rovers,

20,000 Mariners

8,000 neutrals ( according to the Conference )

So could be over 60,000,

Just one thing,

We both have to get there first.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 27, 2015, 11:39pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Abdul19

Dunno about that. With our away record......
Posted by: Sigone, April 28, 2015, 12:08am; Reply: 17
Wasn't the away goals rule brought in to try to encourage the Italian teams to come out of there own half in away games. Footy has moved on even it Italy, redundant rule now I feel.
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 9:48am