Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 28, 2015, 6:01pm
Seems like several of last year's squad are happy to be at GTFC next season so who's next?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 28, 2015, 6:05pm; Reply: 1
Wherever Magnay goes he will never be as loved as he is here,

Rent your house in Leeds Carl and rent a place in GY/Cleethorpes,

You will even make money on that deal and no travelling.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, May 28, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 2
We all dream of a team of Carl Magnay's
A team of Carl Magnay's
A team of Carl Magnay's
Posted by: StaffsMariner, May 28, 2015, 7:01pm; Reply: 3
If people can sponsor a donkey abroad for a fiver a month., Could a bunch of town fans sponsor a RB for a quid a month?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 28, 2015, 7:35pm; Reply: 4
Maggers replies to his interview.

My comments regarding the clubs budget was an incorrect assumption and not fact. It's clear from today's signings and more to come the powers that be are providing strong financial backing for a successful campaign. UTM!

Come on Carl get that pen out and join us.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 28, 2015, 8:18pm; Reply: 5
His comments about the budget weren't incorrect, money is tight, we have to be sensible and we all understand that.

Contrary to what some fans in this league think, especially Lincoln, we don't throw cash around willynilly. We've learned our lessons from that.

All that said, may be it is just a stalling tactic. He's fully aware of his cult status but also his ability. Would we begrudge him a place in the league? No we wouldn't, is it really so expensive to commute a few days? Not massively, plenty do it.
Has he just waited to see who else signs? More than likely. Imagine how good our defence could/will be next season...
Posted by: Rick12, May 28, 2015, 8:46pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from aldi_01
His comments about the budget weren't incorrect, money is tight, we have to be sensible and we all understand that.

Contrary to what some fans in this league think, especially Lincoln, we don't throw cash around willynilly. We've learned our lessons from that.

All that said, may be it is just a stalling tactic. He's fully aware of his cult status but also his ability. Would we begrudge him a place in the league? No we wouldn't, is it really so expensive to commute a few days? Not massively, plenty do it.
Has he just waited to see who else signs? More than likely. Imagine how good our defence could/will be next season...
Magnay for me has to be a priority. Good player at this level and will set a precedent if he resigns which hopefully will set the trend for most of the others to follow suit from last season.

Posted by: gtfc98, May 28, 2015, 8:49pm; Reply: 7
Are we all forgetting that Magnay is a right back? He's good yes, but he's not irreplaceable. If he wants to go then let him go.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2015, 8:57pm; Reply: 8
So, are the players resigning or re-signing?

We need to know. ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 28, 2015, 9:24pm; Reply: 9
Good use of the word willynilly Aldi. A+
Posted by: RichMariner, May 28, 2015, 10:10pm; Reply: 10
Is it true that he's been offered a better deal than the one he was on last season?

I feel like I read that somewhere - not sure whether it came from the horse's mouth or someone's keyboard on here.

I'm guessing the problem is that any extra money he gets this season will go on travelling, which didn't used to cost so much last season when he car shared.

Is that basically the crux of it?

The guy knows he is loved here. And he's not just a right back - he's a cult hero now (whether you agree with that or not). And you can play him at left back and he'll put in just as good a performance as he would if he was at right back.

That's worth quite a lot at this level. I also believe he feels his strongest position is centre back!
Posted by: chaos33, May 28, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 11
He does, and he himself said he'd been offered a better deal than last season in the interview.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 28, 2015, 10:58pm; Reply: 12
Good player, seems like a decent lad but right back s do not win leagues goal scorers do...........Maybe JF and PF have ring fenced a bit more budget for a better striker to come in?
Posted by: Meza, May 28, 2015, 11:16pm; Reply: 13
So he gets paid a bit more and he aint happy yet Gowling takes a pay cut.  I like Magnay says it how it is and a consistent performer but im not sure what he is trying to achieve here.

There are plenty of RB's out there i hope we can get one in the mould of Lee Vaughan if he's still available or the lad that came on loan from Man City Logan or someone or someone of equivalent mould.
Posted by: LH, May 28, 2015, 11:18pm; Reply: 14
Vaughan has signed for someone I think and Shaleum Logan is playing in Scotland - possibly in Europe next season too.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 28, 2015, 11:32pm; Reply: 15
Sure Hurst can use his computer to get cheap train tickets for him
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 28, 2015, 11:40pm; Reply: 16
Just listened to the interview on Radio Humberside and to me it sounds like a plea to improve the contract and if offered and he'd sign.
He states that he took a contract with us last year on the lowest paid senior pro, because he wanted to sign for Grimsby!  He was pretty much the last player to sign so nearly all the wage budget was gone and only the youth players earned less than him.
He has been offered improved wages (hope its not 50 quid extra a week or something embarrassing like that), he has also lost luxuries like car sharing with Hannah, Paddy and Parslow which may have made it a little more worth while.
He's not daft, players talk and they'll all know roughly what each other earns. He's gonna look at the higher paid players and think Christ that's what I want and yet I won all the Player of the Year awards, I've got a family to look out for and interest from Football League clubs.
We need to improve our offer to further reward what he's given the club and fans.
He wants to stay!!!!!  He's already stated that the offers from football league clubs, despite being better than what we've offered the clubs are smaller than us.
This guy has the passion we need to get us out of this god forsaken league, he has the ability to easily play in league two and above and he loves this club and us fans.

Come on Fenty and Hurst, do the right thing, improve the offer, we don't need to break the bank to do it. Just show Carl we need him and are serious about promotion before he leaves for a smaller club and regrets it later.

If we are too stretched maybe this message can go out to the Mullens too or maybe the town fans can raise some cash to cover costs.

utm
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 29, 2015, 7:53am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Stew0_0
Just listened to the interview on Radio Humberside and to me it sounds like a plea to improve the contract and if offered and he'd sign.
He states that he took a contract with us last year on the lowest paid senior pro, because he wanted to sign for Grimsby!  He was pretty much the last player to sign so nearly all the wage budget was gone and only the youth players earned less than him.
He has been offered improved wages (hope its not 50 quid extra a week or something embarrassing like that), he has also lost luxuries like car sharing with Hannah, Paddy and Parslow which may have made it a little more worth while.
He's not daft, players talk and they'll all know roughly what each other earns. He's gonna look at the higher paid players and think Christ that's what I want and yet I won all the Player of the Year awards, I've got a family to look out for and interest from Football League clubs.
We need to improve our offer to further reward what he's given the club and fans.
He wants to stay!!!!!  He's already stated that the offers from football league clubs, despite being better than what we've offered the clubs are smaller than us.
This guy has the passion we need to get us out of this god forsaken league, he has the ability to easily play in league two and above and he loves this club and us fans.

Come on Fenty and Hurst, do the right thing, improve the offer, we don't need to break the bank to do it. Just show Carl we need him and are serious about promotion before he leaves for a smaller club and regrets it later.

If we are too stretched maybe this message can go out to the Mullens too or maybe the town fans can raise some cash to cover costs.

utm

Agree with all of the above till the Mullens bit. I'm really uncomfortable when we put the begging bowl out to a couple of fans who've had some good fortune. Let's not let the parlous state of the club's finances be an excuse to do this.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 29, 2015, 8:28am; Reply: 18
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Good player, seems like a decent lad but right back s do not win leagues goal scorers do...........

Defences win points though. Keep a clean sheet and you have got 1 point, then the strikers can turn it into 3 !

Posted by: sparkles, May 29, 2015, 8:31am; Reply: 19
The mullens have been more than generous so far, it isn't up to them to finance the club.
I've said it before- we only have a finite amount of money- we cannot blow it all on Magnay.
I'm of the opinion that if he has been offered what he is worth and what we can afford and it isn't enough then so be it- let him go. His bitching about it before anything is signed or official had knocked him down a few pegs in my estimation.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 29, 2015, 8:47am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Meza
So he gets paid a bit more and he aint happy yet Gowling takes a pay cut.  I like Magnay says it how it is and a consistent performer but im not sure what he is trying to achieve here.

There are plenty of RB's out there i hope we can get one in the mould of Lee Vaughan if he's still available or the lad that came on loan from Man City Logan or someone or someone of equivalent mould.

We don't know what they were both on to start with though do we? Even with a pay cut, Gowling could be on more than Magnay, who we got pretty cheap by the sound of things. Gowling also got a 2 years, which would have made the deal sweeter

Makes you wonder how Kiddy can afford higher wages than us. Probably why they are in the sh1t and makes you realise that prudent budgets are necessary for long term survival. Better to have a solvent team in the Conference, than none at all.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, May 29, 2015, 8:48am; Reply: 21
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree with all of the above till the Mullens bit. I'm really uncomfortable when we put the begging bowl out to a couple of fans who've had some good fortune. Let's not let the parlous state of the club's finances be an excuse to do this.

With you 100%, and I don't think that very often ;-)
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 7:59am