Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, June 10, 2015, 4:49pm
wheres everyone going this summer? I go to Laganas for 10 days, 2 weeks on sunday
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 10, 2015, 5:07pm; Reply: 1
Enjoy yourself mate, Barcelona for the week (mid August) for my family and me. 8)
Posted by: MidnightMariner, June 10, 2015, 5:26pm; Reply: 2
Guangzhou, China 5 days factory inspection end of This month.
That's about the extent of my hols this year 😕

UTM
Posted by: bradzmilne, June 10, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 3
Believe it or not I'm in laganas the same time as you  ;D
Posted by: mariner91, June 10, 2015, 7:13pm; Reply: 4
I'm doing two weeks of voluntary dentistry in Honduras. Before that I'm visiting Belize and Guatemala and after Honduras I'm going to Costa Rica and Panama.
Posted by: Simariner, June 10, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 5
Long weekend in Malham in Yorkshire with the dog and the Mrs.
Long weekend in London with The Mrs and daughter
Then...
4 nights in Dubai with just the Mrs... (First time there)

Dubai any good?

bighorses
Posted by: Maringer, June 10, 2015, 10:31pm; Reply: 6
Just a nice relaxing week in Devon planned so far. Probably another weekend or two away somewhere as well but nothing too exotic as the missus is expecting and she's no fun when sober.   8)
Posted by: mariner91, June 10, 2015, 10:38pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Maringer
Just a nice relaxing week in Devon planned so far. Probably another weekend or two away somewhere as well but nothing too exotic as the missus is expecting and she's no fun when sober.   8)

Congrats!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 10, 2015, 11:01pm; Reply: 8
Two weeks in Finland as soon as kids break up at school. Middle 7 days of which will be in a summer cottage by a lake. Got it's own jetty and rowing boat so plenty of swimming and reading in peace and quiet (in my head I'm lolling in the boat on my own in the middle of the lake - reality will probably work out different).
Posted by: mariner91, June 10, 2015, 11:02pm; Reply: 9
I'm jealous, Finland and Iceland are very high on my list of places I want to visit.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 10, 2015, 11:12pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Simariner
Long weekend in Malham in Yorkshire with the dog and the Mrs.
Long weekend in London with The Mrs and daughter
Then...
4 nights in Dubai with just the Mrs... (First time there)

Dubai any good?

bighorses

I think it depends on the person Si. Been a couple of times for work. Not my cup of tea but can see why people like it. It's clean and safe. Very relaxed. Obviously guaranteed sun. Good facilities, but tacky architecture. Good food - very good food. Service not all that good in my opinion - seems like everyone has read the customer service manual but not a lot actually understand the principles really! - give me Turkey any day.

Don't think the shops are as cheap as they were famed to be years ago.  If the Mrs views shopping as a leisure activity then she'll be in heaven. Those malls are immense.

If you're driving just don't let a car with a 3 digit number plate hit you. It'll be your fault!
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 10, 2015, 11:17pm; Reply: 11
Back to Plockton again in The Scottish Highlands in October, 2nd time this year and 6th time since 2012. I just love it there, best place in the whole of the UK, in my opinion.

I'm a bit limited now that I can't go on a flight over 2 hours. Next year I'm thinking of getting a European Rail Pass and touring Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Posted by: Maringer, June 10, 2015, 11:26pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Two weeks in Finland as soon as kids break up at school. Middle 7 days of which will be in a summer cottage by a lake. Got it's own jetty and rowing boat so plenty of swimming and reading in peace and quiet (in my head I'm lolling in the boat on my own in the middle of the lake - reality will probably work out different).

Better start taking the iron supplements now to get the blood count up. My sister lived in Finland for a decade and from what she's told me, you're likely to get annihilated by midges by the lakes during the summer!

Nice beer (lager) in Finland, though. Koff and Lapin Kulta are the ones I remember and both were pretty good. Expect to see lots of moose and reindeer produce over there as well!

The Finns are an interesting bunch. Quite different to the Swedes and Norwegians, for example (though some Finns are actually ethnically Swedish). My main memory of visiting there (over a decade ago now), is that it seemed strange that everybody pretty much sat in silence on public transport, apart from the little old ladies nattering away at the back! As I recall, it got a bit tasty on the Saturday night as well with drunks roaming around looking for a fight (that was in the centre of Helsinki, mind). Reminded me of being out in certain UK cities, to tell the truth.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 11, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer

Better start taking the iron supplements now to get the blood count up. My sister lived in Finland for a decade and from what she's told me, you're likely to get annihilated by midges by the lakes during the summer!

Nice beer (lager) in Finland, though. Koff and Lapin Kulta are the ones I remember and both were pretty good. Expect to see lots of moose and reindeer produce over there as well!

The Finns are an interesting bunch. Quite different to the Swedes and Norwegians, for example (though some Finns are actually ethnically Swedish). My main memory of visiting there (over a decade ago now), is that it seemed strange that everybody pretty much sat in silence on public transport, apart from the little old ladies nattering away at the back! As I recall, it got a bit tasty on the Saturday night as well with drunks roaming around looking for a fight (that was in the centre of Helsinki, mind). Reminded me of being out in certain UK cities, to tell the truth.

Been to Finland myself a couple of times with work but always in the depths of winter when there's probably a couple of hours daylight at most so can't say I've seen the country at its best ;)

Never been in the summer although I've heard about the big mozzie problems...wherever you go though they tend to seek you out if you're to their taste

My work contacts over there tell me so far this year it's been disappointingly low temperatures through their spring but the past couple of years they've had scorching temperatures, much higher than we've seen so that's a plus for a summer visit
Posted by: codcheeky, June 11, 2015, 11:45pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from mariner91
I'm doing two weeks of voluntary dentistry in Honduras. Before that I'm visiting Belize and Guatemala and after Honduras I'm going to Costa Rica and Panama.

Did a similar trip a couple of years back, would recommend Caye Caulker(very laid back) just off Belize city(very edgy)  there no cars and and fantastic seafood, Antigua the old capital of Guatemala is great as are Tikal , and Lake Attalan   Enjoyed Tortugero and Arenal in Costa Rica, Didn`t get to  Honduras because someone murdered the skipper of the yacht we were taking just before we left.
would also recomend Mexico city if you get chance absolutely fanastic
Off to Corfu this month and Rome for a few days in september
Posted by: Peeler_Crab, June 12, 2015, 7:06am; Reply: 15
Boating/fishing on the Norfolk Broads in August, Fuertventura in October, Lithuania (Vilnius) in November.
Posted by: gobby, June 12, 2015, 7:58am; Reply: 16
Hisaronu (Turkey) in 2 hours time  8)
UTMM
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 12, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 17
Quoted from gobby
Hisaronu (Turkey) in 2 hours time  8)
UTMM

Have a good time.
Posted by: mariner91, June 12, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 18
Quoted from codcheeky

Did a similar trip a couple of years back, would recommend Caye Caulker(very laid back) just off Belize city(very edgy)  there no cars and and fantastic seafood, Antigua the old capital of Guatemala is great as are Tikal , and Lake Attalan   Enjoyed Tortugero and Arenal in Costa Rica, Didn`t get to  Honduras because someone murdered the skipper of the yacht we were taking just before we left.
would also recomend Mexico city if you get chance absolutely fanastic
Off to Corfu this month and Rome for a few days in september

Believe it or not that's almost the exact route I'm taking though I'm not visiting Guatemala, would it be worth seeing? Is it cheap?
Posted by: codcheeky, June 12, 2015, 12:44pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mariner91

Believe it or not that's almost the exact route I'm taking though I'm not visiting Guatemala, would it be worth seeing? Is it cheap?

Guatemala is cheap but still quite dangerous, and a place not to stray too far from your hotel after dark, but like mast places safe enough if you follow local advice, not really geared up for tourists like Costa Rica , but was one of the favorite countries I have been, if you do go avoid Guatemala City and head or the old Capital which is still like a Colonial spanish town with Fiesta`s every other day, it has a massive volcano on the edge of town. The jungle ruins at Tikal are massive and you will see lots of momkeys just playing around them, would highly recommend it, personally prefered it to Costa Rica because it was more of an adventure, The Mrs prefered CR though
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 12, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Been to Finland myself a couple of times with work but always in the depths of winter when there's probably a couple of hours daylight at most so can't say I've seen the country at its best ;)

Never been in the summer although I've heard about the big mozzie problems...wherever you go though they tend to seek you out if you're to their taste

My work contacts over there tell me so far this year it's been disappointingly low temperatures through their spring but the past couple of years they've had scorching temperatures, much higher than we've seen so that's a plus for a summer visit

Mozzies won't be such a problem when we're off because late July is past the hottest/worst. And like you say, it's been cold this Spring so not so many flying insects - flip side of that is there won't be so many blueberries in the forest. If it gets bad I'll just have to try the traditional remedy and drink more Koskenkorva!
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 13, 2015, 2:09pm; Reply: 21
My wife and I have been all over the place in our younger years,

Now we are happy to stay in this country,

Just got back from a week in North Yokrshire.
Posted by: scoregasm, June 17, 2015, 3:43am; Reply: 22
Already been had a month in the Philippines early on in the year, ready for another if anyone want's to give a holiday away lol.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 20, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 23
Currently in the 2nd week of my Scottish meander. Left the west coast sharpish as the weather was awful and the midges plentiful. I'm sat by Loch Leven atm just outside Kinross with a glass of red in the sunshine. Heading South next over the Forth bridge to Edinburgh and into the Borders before heading for Nth Yorkshire next weekend to meet up with some family.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 20, 2015, 9:11pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings
Currently in the 2nd week of my Scottish meander. Left the west coast sharpish as the weather was awful and the midges plentiful. I'm sat by Loch Leven atm just outside Kinross with a glass of red in the sunshine. Heading South next over the Forth bridge to Edinburgh and into the Borders before heading for Nth Yorkshire next weekend to meet up with some family.

You didn't manage to get up as far as Skye and Plockton then Ginny?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 20, 2015, 9:38pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

You didn't manage to get up as far as Skye and Plockton then Ginny?

Intended to but the weather was terrible and the forecast was for rain and more rain for the foreseeable. We were at Oban and were looking to go to Kyle but most people we talked to were heading south and east to get better weather, so we decided to follow suit. We loved it though and will be back to that area for more exploration.

Showed my missus the Plockton Inn menu online and she wants to go there now as she loves seafood, so I'm sure we will get there at some point. Already planning the next trip whilst still on this one.

We did a couple of ferry trips to Arran and Kintyre and want to do more of the Isles including Skye. Ah well, there's always next year.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 20, 2015, 9:42pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings

Intended to but the weather was terrible and the forecast was for rain and more rain for the foreseeable. We were at Oban and were looking to go to Kyle but most people we talked to were heading south and east to get better weather, so we decided to follow suit. We loved it though and will be back to that area for more exploration.

Showed my missus the Plockton Inn menu online and she wants to go there now as she loves seafood, so I'm sure we will get there at some point. Already planning the next trip whilst still on this one.

We did a couple of ferry trips to Arran and Kintyre and want to do more of the Isles including Skye. Ah well, there's always next year.

A shame that. If your missus like seafood then she'll just love The Plockton Inn's smoked seafood platter. One of the best meals I've ever had.

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QrjGeB01Jzg/VTPt3lxghgI/AAAAAAAABNg/XU08AKc4ldY/s1600/beal2.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Neilo83, June 20, 2015, 11:36pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

A shame that. If your missus like seafood then she'll just love The Plockton Inn's smoked seafood platter. One of the best meals I've ever had.

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QrjGeB01Jzg/VTPt3lxghgI/AAAAAAAABNg/XU08AKc4ldY/s1600/beal2.jpg[/img]

That looks disgusting!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), June 21, 2015, 12:25am; Reply: 28
Dubrovnik in September for a cheeky week. Maylaysia or possibly Vietnam for the best part of a month in December depending on the wife getting the time off work. I'm in Marrakech as I type, last day tomorrow. Did Skegvegas last week for 4 days between work cycles.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Neilo83

That looks disgusting!

Not just me then. Mrs loves seafood but I'm not keen at all, despite being raised in a house full of the stuff. Prawns and battered haddock is my limit with seafood.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 21, 2015, 11:43am; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings

Not just me then. Mrs loves seafood but I'm not keen at all, despite being raised in a house full of the stuff. Prawns and battered haddock is my limit with seafood.

Me too, I am not very adventuress with my food,

Haddock and chips and a prawn sandwich will do for me,

Not at the same time though. :)
Posted by: Maringer, June 21, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 31
Bloody prawn sandwich brigade...  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2015, 2:21pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Maringer
Bloody prawn sandwich brigade...  :)

Prawn curry or king prawn fried rice for me. Don't know if I've ever had a prawn sarnie.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 21, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 33
Prawn Balls are nice  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 21, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from grimsby pete
Prawn Balls are nice  :)

Must be small though. The whole animal is just a few centimetres long.
Posted by: topuphere666, June 25, 2015, 7:10am; Reply: 35
Im in the process of buying a house and have just upgraded my car, no holiday for me this year. I've been lucky enough to have already been to Dublin and Paris for weekend breaks this year though.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 25, 2015, 4:54pm; Reply: 36
I am leaving on Sunday!
Posted by: ginnywings, June 25, 2015, 6:34pm; Reply: 37
Currently staying near Durham on the way back down the country to Lincs via Whitby for the weekend.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 28, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 38
Last day of my meander today. In Whitby before heading back to GY tomorrow, just in time for the predicted heatwave.
Posted by: chaos33, June 28, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 39
I tell you what....fresh caught Northumberland crab sandwiches with a cold beer is an absolute f@cking treat.

Craster, Beadnell Bay ....somewhere like that. Lovely.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 28, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from chaos33
I tell you what....fresh caught Northumberland crab sandwiches with a cold beer is an absolute f@cking treat.

Craster, Beadnell Bay ....somewhere like that. Lovely.

Was in both those places last summer. Love it round there.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 29, 2015, 5:17pm; Reply: 41
Saltburn by the Sea near Redcar does lovely fish + chips,

Not a big resort but a car park opposite the beach,

It has a fish + chip and ice cream shop,

What more could you ask for ?
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, June 30, 2015, 8:53am; Reply: 42
Just back from a week in Corfu - long weekend in Dufton, Cumbria 7th-9th August for the annual beer festival then another 2 weeks in Corfu from 24th August. 8)
Posted by: BIGChris, July 6, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 43
25 th wedding anniversary so going to South Africa and Mauritius in Nov
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 8, 2015, 5:17pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from BIGChris

That's at least your poor wife deserves

Putting up with you for 25 years,

Only kidding, hope you both enjoy yourselves,

Stay safe.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 8, 2015, 5:47pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

That's at least your poor wife deserves

Putting up with you for 25 years,

Only kidding, hope you both enjoy yourselves,

Stay safe.

Yeah just make sure if you go to the toilet in the middle of the night you whistle a tune or something - don't want you getting shot of each other after 25 years together!   ;)

Posted by: chaos33, July 8, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from BIGChris

Where you off to in SA Big Chris?
Posted by: Simariner, July 9, 2015, 9:23pm; Reply: 47
Just booked a weekend away with BPVicar to Düsseldorf to watch the Fury v Klitchko boxing fight in Oct.

Cheap plane fares and decent hotel price.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 9, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Simariner
Just booked a weekend away with BPVicar to Düsseldorf to watch the Fury v Klitchko boxing fight in Oct.

Cheap plane fares and decent hotel price.

Don't tell BP Vicar you've posted this on the "holidays" thread. He'll do his nut!  :)
Posted by: Simariner, July 9, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Les Brechin

Don't tell BP Vicar you've posted this on the "holidays" thread. He'll do his nut!  :)

Aye true as it's not a holiday but a p1ss up break from our Mrs.
The boxing event was only an excuse  ;D
Posted by: BIGChris, July 16, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from chaos33

Where you off to in SA Big Chris?

Western Cape. Plettenberg Bay, Mosel Bay, Hermanus, Camps Bay and Cape Town itself
Posted by: Hagrid, July 20, 2015, 2:03pm; Reply: 51
going to Crete 4th August after I didn't make it to Zante last month, had a few medical complications but all sorted now :)
Posted by: livosnose, July 20, 2015, 5:58pm; Reply: 52
I'm off to santorini to drink Greece out of this excrement storm they are in 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻
Posted by: Maringer, July 20, 2015, 8:48pm; Reply: 53
It's absolutely scorchio in the med at the moment, apparently. Remember to rehydrate!  ;)
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, July 23, 2015, 10:05pm; Reply: 54
Got a farmhouse booked for beginning of August up in Sedbergh, , looks like a spot on location to go to the lakes and do the Yorkie Dales, , anyone got recommendations for day trips, pubs, walks or anything at all up that way?
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 10:25pm