Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: bax, June 29, 2015, 11:10am
...signs on a one year deal...
Posted by: Trawler, June 29, 2015, 11:13am; Reply: 1
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/BREAKING-Grimsby-Town-sign-Marcus-Marshall/story-26797245-detail/story.html

Didn't see that one coming!
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 29, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 2
Wow!

Didn't see that one coming.

If he can reproduce the form from his first loan spell, before he was recalled and all the Luton faffing about, an excellent signing.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 29, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 3
Could be a useful addition to the squad. Does this mean Hurst sees Monkhouse playing in the centre or up front?
Posted by: chaos33, June 29, 2015, 11:20am; Reply: 4
Hmm. Not sure on this one. Don't really rate him.
Posted by: Freemoash88, June 29, 2015, 11:21am; Reply: 5
Not that impressed really. Not the signing I was hoping for but never the less if he gets his head down and gives his all that'll do me.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 29, 2015, 11:23am; Reply: 6
Hurst knows him, he'll add competition
Posted by: nightrider, June 29, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 7
This has to be a urine take. The laziest player Ive ever seen play for us.
He never wanted to be here last time so whats the point.
Posted by: Fishfinger, June 29, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 8
Not sure about this, but to be fair to him he had done well in the first part of his loan spell with us and he ripped us apart when he played against us for Lincoln.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 29, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 9
Certainly didn't see that one coming. Low risk in the sense that Hurst obviously knows him well and he obviously meets the "attitude" criteria. I seem to recall he faded badly towards the end of his last spell with us so it's a risk in terms of whether he'll be of high enough quality.
Posted by: Maringer, June 29, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 10
As I recall, he had decent pace and skill but often didn't achieve quite as much as he should have done when playing for us last time. The final ball or final pass was usually lacking.

Hopefully, he'll show more this time as he should be playing alongside better players.
Posted by: StickfordMariner, June 29, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 11
squad player as back up for makreth and arnold , thats all it must be
Posted by: Laddy89, June 29, 2015, 11:34am; Reply: 12
Such an average player. Really would have preferred the money go towards something more useful, just a player i always hated when he was here, use to frustrate me so much,
Posted by: psgmariner, June 29, 2015, 11:35am; Reply: 13
Underwhelmed.

Welcome aboard in any case.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 29, 2015, 11:40am; Reply: 14
1 min in. A few more of those please Marcus.

[youtube]vQMnPq-cUu8[/youtube]
Posted by: LH, June 29, 2015, 11:43am; Reply: 15
I don't get it myself but will trust Hurst's judgement.
Posted by: BIGChris, June 29, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin
1 min in. A few more of those please Marcus.

[youtube]vQMnPq-cUu8[/youtube]

The day of their beer fesitival!! Ran out of beer by 2pm iirc
Posted by: Rhys_Mariners, June 29, 2015, 11:48am; Reply: 17
This one can go either way honestly, But i don't think Hurst would of signed him if he didn't intend to get the absolute best out of him. Lets wait and see
Posted by: Paris Mariner, June 29, 2015, 11:48am; Reply: 18
Makes me think Hurst will be looking at a 4-3-3 with Bogle in the centre. Marcus Marshall does offer a lot of pace and as an earlier poster said, he ripped us apar v Lincoln last season.

Nice to see the doom mongers getting their gripes in on Twitter and the like. At Conference level, I'm not sure every signing can blow you away. As some have pointed out, he's probably in for competition for places and will provide good competition at that. All these moaners are hardly going to boost his confidence - give him a chance. He may have improved since two years ago!
Posted by: GrimRob, June 29, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 19
Trust Hurst. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since he was last here.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 29, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 20
we had a average team that year, i'm sure bogle and pittman will enjoy his pace and stretching defenders
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 29, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 21
There are a lot worse out there. Will do a job for us. Happy  :)
Posted by: Tommy, June 29, 2015, 11:51am; Reply: 22
Some daft reactions to this. Someone seriously claiming they "hated" him.

He's obviously signed as cover /competition for Arnold, Mackreth and Monkhouse. Don't see what the problem is. He won't be first choice unless he's playing out of his skin,  in which case it'd be fully deserved and everyone's a winner.

Can cover either flank so could be a useful player to have in the squad.
Posted by: coxy, June 29, 2015, 11:52am; Reply: 23
Great signing imo, add competition and has potential so all is good! From me cannot wait to start the season now
Posted by: acko338, June 29, 2015, 11:53am; Reply: 24
Good squad signing !

The receivers weren't always there for a final pass last time around, so he dallied and lost the ball instead of having a shot. Potential not achieved, really, and then tended to drift out of games.

The strikers should be queuing up for action this time around ! Keep both Arnold and Mackreth keen as mustard !

Known quantity with ability to improve, I hope !
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 29, 2015, 11:54am; Reply: 25
Quoted from nightrider
This has to be a urine take. The laziest player Ive ever seen play for us.
He never wanted to be here last time so whats the point.

Not sure about that one.

He turned down a move to Luton when Bury recalled him so he could come back here.

It just never worked out upon his return.  He wasn't the only signing around that time that seemed brilliant on paper but didn't work out at all (Hannah, Brodie & Devitt).
Posted by: mariner91, June 29, 2015, 12:00pm; Reply: 26
Two years ago he was a shoo-in for the starting eleven. Now he might not even make the bench some weeks as Arnold, Makreth and Monkhouse are ahead of him. Shows how much stronger the squad is these days. He'll add competition and has some pace. There have been glimpses of ability and if we can get the best out of him then it isn't a bad signing. Not every signing at this level can be eye catching.
Posted by: Laddy89, June 29, 2015, 12:01pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Tommy
Some daft reactions to this. Someone seriously claiming they "hated" him.

The funny thing is Tommy this is a forum,  a forum where fans have their say and state their own opinions. So when I say I hated him, thats because when he was here, he was awful, lazy and not 1 fan was bothered when he left.
So the fact that 99% of fans who have tweeted and posted on here are not happy with the signing, sort of says it all. I did not like him, just like I didn't like many other players we have had in the past, only difference is, we weren't stupid enough to sign them again!!

Yes we can all say he is a squad player and will be good back up, Id rather have someone else for that role, because he is not good enough to get us out of this league.

Obviously, just my opinion,  if that is allowed Sir.
Posted by: acko338, June 29, 2015, 12:02pm; Reply: 28
Hurst must see something to bring him back again - on form, could tear teams apart - we'll be looking for that quality this season !
Posted by: Kymariner12, June 29, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 29
I think we have to realise that not every signing this summer will be 'amazing' and we need players like Marshall to provide competition. To be fair to him he was great on his day and here's hoping he can perform this season. Craig Clay for example didn't initially excite me but turned out to be a quality signing. Trust in Hurst!B-)
Posted by: KK_DOG, June 29, 2015, 12:08pm; Reply: 30
Very happy with him coming back. Can certainly see potential, full pre season training and here for the season. He will do nicely.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 29, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 31
Lincoln City fans are devastated :X >> [url=http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=41152]http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=41152[/url]
Quoted Text
1. Have to say they are welcome to him!
2. Anyone is welcome to him, all the nicer he has joined them though. Thought they wanted promotion!?
3. Great signing for City! 1) We don't get him and (2) it will help dilute the Cods' capability!
4. He doesnt want to be starting for them very often if they have any desire of promotion! IMO he had the odd game where he did something but in the main he was mostly anonymous. As for consistency, the only consistent was his inclusion in the squad when others couldn't believe he was getting picked time after time. A poor signing for them, even if he is a backup.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 29, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 32
I rated him. Isn't it funny how we all see different things.

I remember him for his pace on the wing and he did what I like to see from wingers, whip the ball into the box early.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 29, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 33
Could be a useful addition to the squad. Does this mean Hurst sees Monkhouse playing in the centre or up front?

I was thinking that too.  With Brown, Disley and Clay all vying for a central position it does suggest that Monkhouse may have been brought in as a striker.

Then again, as Paris Mariner, says it could be that Hurst is looking to change formation towards a 4-3-3.  Definitely got enough options to mix things up if required.
Posted by: Trawler, June 29, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from BIGChris

It was.  They had 120 pints. Me, PSG and mates drank at least 20 of them.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 29, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Laddy89

So the fact that 99% of fans who have tweeted and posted on here are not happy with the signing, sort of says it all.

You can have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts! Some fans are unconvinced/unhappy, that's fine, but the 99% claim is demonstrably wrong.
Posted by: mariner91, June 29, 2015, 12:14pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Laddy89

The funny thing is Tommy this is a forum,  a forum where fans have their say and state their own opinions. So when I say I hated him, thats because when he was here, he was awful, lazy and not 1 fan was bothered when he left.
So the fact that 99% of fans who have tweeted and posted on here are not happy with the signing, sort of says it all. I did not like him, just like I didn't like many other players we have had in the past, only difference is, we weren't stupid enough to sign them again!!

Yes we can all say he is a squad player and will be good back up, Id rather have someone else for that role, because he is not good enough to get us out of this league.

If you hate Marcus Marshall for being an average non-league footballer, I'd hate to see your reaction to someone who actually wrongs you. You seem a very angry man, I pity you.
Posted by: Laddy89, June 29, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 37
Angry man? You pity me? Because I've said i don't like marcus marshall.

Get a grip
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 29, 2015, 12:20pm; Reply: 38
Can't say I'm not shocked but he's a squad player, I said we needed another winger (and got slated for it).

He'd be good to bring on at the ends of games, his pace will stretch out sides and I think he'll benefit in a better side. I didn't think he was that bad here either and I'm sure most sides in this league would like a player of his standards as a back up.
Posted by: mariner91, June 29, 2015, 12:21pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Laddy89
Angry man? You pity me? Because I've said i don't like marcus marshall.

Get a grip

You said you hate him. Rather an extreme reaction towards a young man who has done you no harm. I'd suggest it's you that should get a grip.
Posted by: mariner2000, June 29, 2015, 12:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Kymariner12
I think we have to realise that not every signing this summer will be 'amazing' and we need players like Marshall to provide competition. To be fair to him he was great on his day and here's hoping he can perform this season. Craig Clay for example didn't initially excite me but turned out to be a quality signing. Trust in Hurst!B-)

I think your right BUT isn't the argument that if we are only signing 4 or 5 surely they have to be amazing.....
Posted by: RichMariner, June 29, 2015, 12:22pm; Reply: 41
It seems odd that we've signed a player that the fans already know a lot about!

There's not much mystery in this signing, so perhaps that's why some fans feel underwhelmed about it.

I think it's a good signing. He's not an unknown player who has been plucked from nowhere, and Hurst only wants players who have the right attitude. I can only presume that Hurst knows he'll fit in well here.

He's got pace and a bit of skill, and so between him, Monkhouse, Mackreth and Arnold I think we have very capable wingers for next season.
Posted by: DocTower, June 29, 2015, 12:23pm; Reply: 42
We know what Marcus can bring to the party , the ability to change the system .  Good to have him on board,  versatile which is what we needed . Whether starting or from the bench,  good signing .
Posted by: psgmariner, June 29, 2015, 12:24pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from BIGChris

Hence why I missed the goal....
Posted by: Laddy89, June 29, 2015, 12:24pm; Reply: 44
As a player, i hated him when he was here.

Just like i couldn't stand Brodie, and many others.

Lets hope he does a lot better
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 29, 2015, 12:28pm; Reply: 45
Thinking about this a bit more now, it could be that Hurst has learned a lesson from last August where we started off with barely a full side because of injuries and suspensions. In Marshall he has a player he knows and who knows him and so can slot in easily when needed.

Not a signing to tear up any trees but it could be part of a belt and braces job by the manager.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 29, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from DocTower
We know what Marcus can bring to the party , the ability to change the system .  Good to have him on board,  versatile which is what we needed . Whether starting or from the bench,  good signing .

I agree with you.  He could be a good signing for us.  Welcome back to BP, Marcus.

Lincoln fans can say what they want, we're still gonna finish above them this season.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 29, 2015, 12:33pm; Reply: 47
He had enough skill, but like most wingers was inconsistent and you did not know what he would do next.  Unfortunately, neither did his team-mates some of the time.

He needs to be more aware of where his team-mates are and when to release the ball.

He is young enough to improve and can at least beat his man, sometimes twice. I remember in one home game he dribbled right across the pitch.

Hurst must see that he is a player thana will improve the team or squad.  He is usually a good judge of a player.  Maybe coming on with 20 mins left and offering something different against a tired fullback?

Posted by: Maringer, June 29, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 48
I seem to remember that in the play-off games against Newport that season, he was our main threat, even though they were doubling up on him down that side. Certainly enough potential there to be a useful player even if as just an impact sub.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 29, 2015, 12:38pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Heisenberg

Lincoln fans can say what they want, we're still gonna finish above them this season.

I know we have to take rival fans comments with a pinch of salt but when they are so unanimous it can't all be completely dismissed. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well, but the Lincoln fans opinions of him match up exactly with what most of us thought of him about 2 hours ago. Hope Hurst knows what he's doing with this one.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 29, 2015, 12:39pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from mariner2000

I think your right BUT isn't the argument that if we are only signing 4 or 5 surely they have to be amazing.....

Sorry but if anybody thought we'd only sign 4-5 players this pre season id say they're off the mark. Despite what was told to us. If you have a bigger budget I don't believe you reduce the size of your squad, it doesn't make any sense. Our squad was a small one regardless and I reckon we'll sign closer to 6 or 7.
Posted by: springstomind, June 29, 2015, 12:45pm; Reply: 51
Don't understand all the negatives, I saw him have numerous great games and he and Hurst both knew he played nowhere near his potential.. Looked better once he left us too. Also is Mackreth really any better?good competition for Wingers. I honestly think Marshall will play a good part this season and surprise a few. With Monkhouse and Marshall.. Both wingers know they haven't got a guaranteed place. I trust PH
Posted by: BIGChris, June 29, 2015, 12:46pm; Reply: 52
Not sure what people expect tbh?

You will  not find a 'consistent' winger at this level. Nature of the beast imo. In fact wide players at any level seem to flit in and out of games.

Cant say I am excited by the signing but equaly can see him as useful back up

Maybe he didnt fit in at Lincoln because he was fit and available for selection most weeks, most of their signings seem 'injury prone' at best ;)

Now would love to see a decent quality striker to supplement what we already have as goals win games, and then a few trialiist in the opening pre season fixtures to find some more defensive cover & we are ready to go
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 29, 2015, 12:46pm; Reply: 53
The response of Lincoln City supporters on their messageboard does nothing other than convince me that we have signed the right man. Because:-

1. They wouldn't know a half decent footballer if one smacked them in the gob.

2. Their management has shown quite beyond doubt, that they have the inherent ability to take a decent player and make him look ordinary.

3. Clearly a player that didn't suit the Lincoln style. They are not interested for one minute in a fast and skillful player that can take a ball down the wing from his own half to the final third and then put in a cross. They just want players that can launch a long high ball from back to front as quickly as possible, or a player that is good at getting on the end of the same.

Welcome back Marcus.
Posted by: LH, June 29, 2015, 12:46pm; Reply: 54
I wouldn't listen to Lincoln fans opinions. It's been that long since anyone good played for them they don't know what a good player is any more.  ;)
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 29, 2015, 12:46pm; Reply: 55
No prob with his return, as good and consistent as McKreth so why are people moaning (unless they also dont rate Jack)
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 29, 2015, 12:49pm; Reply: 56
Oh come on, he's an okay back up signing but he's not as good as Mackreth.
Posted by: WetFlannel, June 29, 2015, 12:49pm; Reply: 57
What needs to be remembered is that 90% of football fans know absolutely nothing about the sport. Doubly so when it involves their own team. Hardly a blockbuster signing but a handy signing as a bench player.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 29, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 58
Reserve judgement till a few pre-season games, hope he finds his best form back with us. Good luck to him.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 29, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 59
At least everyone can spell his name right, unlike Jack McKreth Macreth Makreth Mackreth.  :)
Posted by: Meza, June 29, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 60
I have no qualms about Marcus coming back I think he's a good player, was just a bit inconsistent, but most wingers are if they don't get enough of the ball.  He isn't exactly a Martin Butler now is he, so to 'Hate' someone is pretty strong especially when you don't know them personally.  (I've always been in the belief that you can't hate someone unless you know them).  However it's opinions at the end of the day and he's a Grimsby Town player so welcome back Marcus.  :)
Posted by: Caesar, June 29, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 61
We obviously need squad players as well as the Bogles that we have all been hoping for.  Didn't think he was all that bad tbh and am sure he will add depth and increased competition.  If he was our first signing and we hadn't already got 3 players who cam play in his position I would understand a certain amount of negativity but am a bit taken back by this.  Have a bit more patience.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, June 29, 2015, 1:04pm; Reply: 62
Not one to get the pulses raising & I would assume signed as a squad player, not someone I would be looking to recruit but I thought the same about Clay so in the end judgement should be reserved until I see him back out playing at BP.

For me additional striker & creative midfielder are the signings that i await & am hoping for.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 29, 2015, 1:04pm; Reply: 63
It's already been touched on but what it does this mean for Monkhouse in terms of position? We now have 4 wingers on paper. Perhaps 2 players competing for every position seems fair enough but we aren't going to have a 22 man squad and we've usually gone with just 3 wide players in the squad under Hurst before. Having a 4th choice winger seems an unnecessary luxury, so does this mean Monkhouse is going to be used as a forward?
Posted by: mariner91, June 29, 2015, 1:05pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from 120790
The response of Lincoln City supporters on their messageboard does nothing other than convince me that we have signed the right man. Because:-

1. They wouldn't know a half decent footballer if one smacked them in the gob.

;D
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 29, 2015, 1:07pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
It's already been touched on but what it does this mean for Monkhouse in terms of position? We now have 4 wingers on paper. Perhaps 2 players competing for every position seems fair enough but we aren't going to have a 22 man squad and we've usually gone with just 3 wide players in the squad under Hurst before. Having a 4th choice winger seems an unnecessary luxury, so does this mean Monkhouse is going to be used as a forward?

I suggested when he first signed that he'll be used for both and we'll have one less striker in potentially. I think today reaffirms that view.
Posted by: northbankmariner, June 29, 2015, 1:09pm; Reply: 66
Like everyone else I didn't this signing coming. A decent player who has vital assets needed for a winger, he is quick, can beat a man and is able to put a cross in. What more do people want st this level or expect?. As for everyone saying a bench warmer and squad player, not so sure about that. Compare him with mackreth. He has a couple more years of experience in him since he last played for town,I expect him to be as quick as jack, he should be better than jack at getting to the byline and crossing the ball and not cutting inside or turning back and playing a square pass which jack does a lot of. I like jack as a player and he is definitely more aware of his defensive duties than Marshall was in his spell here but I don't think there is a lot to choose between them to be honest. Whoever had the best pre season will probably get the nod for me. Different strengths but both very decent players. Time will tell. Not jumping up and down on this one but not dissapointed either.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 29, 2015, 1:15pm; Reply: 67
When you are looking for cover, do you choose:-

A - A steady 25 year old with experience at our level.

B-  A 19 year old released by a Championship academy who has never played in front of a crowd.

C - A 35 been there done that, I retire soon journeyman.

Say no more........

Welcome back Marcus.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 29, 2015, 1:17pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from pontoonlew

I suggested when he first signed that he'll be used for both and we'll have one less striker in potentially. I think today reaffirms that view.

I am starting to think that way. I don't buy the "useful squad player" angle. Hurst likes a relatively small squad that he really trusts. I don't think he will spend a penny of his budget on a senior player that he doesn't intend to play a lot. That's not to say he'll be an automatic starting XI player, but he's not here just as cover for when we've got a few injuries.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, June 29, 2015, 1:17pm; Reply: 69
The odd one on here has been dying for opportunity to say something negative. He provides good competition and can play on either wing so utility also. As someone else has said one more striker in before the Friendlies and a couple of trialists during them and I will be a very happy mariner. UTM
Posted by: SamTheMariner, June 29, 2015, 1:19pm; Reply: 70
He will add decent competition probably. No where near as good as Arnold on his day but a good signing nonetheless
Posted by: Orange_Sauce, June 29, 2015, 1:24pm; Reply: 71
When he was here on loan and went back to Bury, there was uproar, more perhaps about the situation rather than the player, but nevertheless, when we got him back, on his first game return away at Cambridge I remember a few chants of 'we've got our Marshall back', so must have made an impression in his first stint.
Posted by: Tommy, June 29, 2015, 1:28pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Laddy89

Yes Laddy, perfectly entitled to air your opinion on here. I'm not saying you shouldn't.

I was just struggling to think of how anyone could "hate" a footballer who used to play for us, did quite well, most wanted him to stay and were drunk off when Luton tried to steal in and get him, and it didn't work out as successfully when he came back. You could use that same description for Ross Hannah (bar the Luton bit), but I don't remember anyone hating him.

I'm also remembering the signing of Clay last summer when everyone drunk themselves with negativity as they were convinced he was crap from watching a couple of friendlies. Nine months later he wins Young Player of the Year.

No problem with anyone not rating him really but IMO you've got issues if you hate a sportsman for no real reason.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 29, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 73
Disappointing signing for me from when he was here before, initially he looked good then seemed to think he could beat everybody when he didn't and defensively he was very poor. In one of his last games I sure he hopelessly lost the ball then just stood there fannying about making no effort to win the ball back and the opposition went straight up the other end and scored.

I haven't checked on the facts but wasn't he left out of the starting 11 before his loan expired, I know some seem to think he will be a back up, but so was Bignot and he hardly played so was really a waste of cash.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 29, 2015, 1:30pm; Reply: 74
What I remember about him is he was fast and had a bit of skill,

His final pass or shot was lacking apart from that cracker I saw him score at Ebbsfleet,

He has got a real goal scorer to pass to now so lets hope he can find him,

As somebody said we are not going to get 5 amazing signings,

Marcus will be a good squad player who will provide something when called upon.

I have doubted Paul Hurst in the past but no longer,

Paul has learnt by his mistakes and knows what he is doing,

Plus he knows what players he needs to do it.
Posted by: Maringer, June 29, 2015, 1:32pm; Reply: 75
I must say, it's nice to see a bit of hysteria on here following what looks like a reasonable signing on paper.

Things have been so positive here over the past month or so that it just hasn't seemed like the real Fishy. This thread confirms that all is actually right with the world.  ;)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 29, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 76
Probably puts me in a minority of one but im over the moon with this signing I really liked him last time around.A player with genuine pace and ability to beat the fullback and an end product more often than not like others have said did go missing in games but that's a trait with most wingers. Welcome back
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 29, 2015, 1:44pm; Reply: 77
Sorry but everyone is fine and dandy when we all praise Paul's signings but when some me included in this one have a say that they aren't overly happy with a signing all of a sudden their  opinion goes out the window.

This for me is a signing which is strange, Marcus had his day with us and i didn't think he was particularly good then apart from the odd bit of pace when he could be arsed..

He has done nothing at Morecambe and Lincoln but we take him on ?

He is the complete opposite of what we have been signing in the terms of quality and effort, he is from what I remember someone who played when it suited him.

A very strange signing from Paul and i can't see him getting Arnold or mackreth worried as them two will run all day for you something marcus never did for us .

the times when the team had Brodie and Rob Scott is the time you sign a Marcus  Marshall

Sorry guys and gals but this one gets a big fat thumbs down from me.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 29, 2015, 1:51pm; Reply: 78

I know we have to take rival fans comments with a pinch of salt but when they are so unanimous it can't all be completely dismissed. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well, but the Lincoln fans opinions of him match up exactly with what most of us thought of him about 2 hours ago. Hope Hurst knows what he's doing with this one.

That's all true and I also have my doubts but - he has been playing in a poor side that was not necessarily playing to his strengths. Plus - the fact that people say he was maybe our best player against Newport 2 seasons ago says something about changes in the Town side since then as well. Not every signing is going to be hair on end stuff and knowing Hurst as we do we shouldn't be too surprised to see a bit of safety first, somebody for cover and maybe offer something different as a sub perhaps.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 29, 2015, 1:51pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from jonnyboy82

He played around 15 games in league 2 for Morecambe ?
played over 30 games for Lincoln, so almost every game while he was there, including scoring when they beat us...

so not 100% sure how he did nothing ?
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 29, 2015, 1:53pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Sorry but everyone is fine and dandy when we all praise Paul's signings but when some me included in this one have a say that they aren't overly happy with a signing all of a sudden their  opinion goes out the window.

This for me is a signing which is strange, Marcus had his day with us and i didn't think he was particularly good then apart from the odd bit of pace when he could be arsed..

He is the complete opposite of what we have been signing in the terms of quality and effort, he is from what I remember someone who played when it suited him.

A very strange signing from Paul and i can't see him getting Arnold or mackreth worried as them two will run all day for you something marcus never did for us .

the times when the team had Brodie and Rob Scott is the time you sign a Marcus  Marshall

Sorry guys and gals but this one gets a big fat thumbs down from me.

Have you thought that Paul might have signed him for cover at left back. :)
Posted by: Laddy89, June 29, 2015, 1:55pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Tommy

Yes Laddy, perfectly entitled to air your opinion on here. I'm not saying you shouldn't.

No problem with anyone not rating him really but IMO you've got issues if you hate a sportsman for no real reason.

Omg lol some people going all jeremy kyle... i obviously don't hate him, i was clearly meaning i just hate him as a player, just like i hate mustard, nothing against mustard, but i hate it. I don't rate him, but I trust PH and I'm excited with bogle, east and monkhouse.

I fully hope marshall proves me wrong and does great for us, and feel free to message me when he does, and i will admit I'm wrong. :)
Posted by: immariner, June 29, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 82
Satisfied with this one. He's not going to be first choice and gives us versatility. In his first loan spell a couple of years ago he was good and he ripped us a new one for Lincoln last year. He looked average in an average Lincoln team but it's probably not that easy to get motivated when you're playing for mid-table obscurity or lower mid-table obscurity. Lacks consistency but then so do the vast majority of Conference players. With our options he'll play if he deserves to, not like at Lincoln, because there was no better option. His late pace might come in handy off the bench. All-in-all, not ecstatic, but as Lew says, for a 4th choice Conference winger, he'll do. Probably cheap too so will leave more for a defender and a striker.

Edit: I also think this is a make or break year for Marcus. He can probably count himself quite lucky to have gotten a move to a club aiming for top spot. If he doesn't produce the goods and doesn't play many games he could easily be on the pro scrap heap next summer. A lot of motivation for him to do well. Let's hope he grasps the nettle.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 29, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
The odd one on here has been dying for opportunity to say something negative. He provides good competition and can play on either wing so utility also. As someone else has said one more striker in before the Friendlies and a couple of trialists during them and I will be a very happy mariner. UTM

So another one on here who wants to stifle debate, what is so wrong in some saying they are pleased to see him sign when others are not, are we not all entitled to an opinion whether you like it or not.

Posted by: diehardmariner, June 29, 2015, 2:30pm; Reply: 84
A few people have mentioned him covering left-back......did he do that at Lincoln?  
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 29, 2015, 2:40pm; Reply: 85
Reaction from when he was initially recalled to Bury.

http://thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1358762281/s-0/

Easy to forget how highly rated by many during that first loan spell.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 29, 2015, 2:42pm; Reply: 86
I thought he had a really decent run of games when he first came to us. Has real pace and could be a really good asset, he is again a different option to what we have.
Posted by: mariner paul, June 29, 2015, 2:44pm; Reply: 87
Hmm not sure about this one to be honest
Posted by: highcliff mariner, June 29, 2015, 3:00pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from mariner paul
Hmm not sure about this one to be honest

You Dont have to be ?
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 29, 2015, 3:04pm; Reply: 89
Anyone listened to what he has to say in his interview on Mariners World?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 29, 2015, 3:13pm; Reply: 90
I think this is just a case of covering bases. We have to have a squad. Hurst is probably banking on getting quality in key positions and therefore paying for it (i.e  Bogle) but we still have to have cover. Suspect Marshall will be relatively cheap. I can understand this signing.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, June 29, 2015, 3:14pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from 120790

Yes.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 29, 2015, 3:17pm; Reply: 92
Retrograde step - not the way forward

Who next Brodie?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 29, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 93
I remember him doing really well in the beginning then becoming anonymous and a bit disinterested later on. Am I thinking of the right player?

I'm content with the signing anyway bit of pace and if I remember right Lincoln used him as a full back so he offers a bit of versatility as well
Posted by: ginnywings, June 29, 2015, 3:25pm; Reply: 94
Good to come back from holiday to a bit of fishy hysteria, it's been a while. ;D

Let's face it, Hurst knows players better than we do and i can't believe how many posters have automatically assumed he is here for back up only. If he does the biz, he will be in the team, same as any other player. Arnold and Mackreth don't play well every week and i doubt Monkhouse will either. It's the nature of the beast at this level and more so with wingers at any level.

Let's give him and Hurst a chance before we reach for the razor blades eh!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 29, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 95
Razor blades ?

Fishy at its ott best  :P
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 29, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 96
Good signing if he's grown up a bit wants to be part of a winning side . Can't believe PH wouldn't have factored this into his decision . If he can produce his best form he could be a starter easy with his ability .
Posted by: Maringer, June 29, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 97
Perhaps we'll see a bit more from Marshall now he won't be playing in front of the erratic (to say the least) Thomas?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 29, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Razor blades ?

Fishy at its ott best  :P

Sausages in your case.  ;)
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 29, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 99
The way I see it ... He was considered good enough for Luton at the time when they were chasing promotion and if things had gone well for him, then he'd be in the football league now and unlikely to play for us.

For whatever reason it hasn't worked out in the last couple of years but that doesn't mean if he comes into a quality squad with a good management team he can't rediscover his previous form.

It's a win win for for player and club.  He has something to prove so should be motivated to work hard.  The manager knows his foibles and strengths.  At worst we get a back up on the left hand side of defence and midfield who will be there if we get injuries.  At best he forces himself into the team and proves to be a cracking signing.

I expect he is cheaper this time round - PH presumably thinks he knows how to get the best from him so has maybe bagged a bargain and saved some money for other signings.

He is kind of replacing Paddy in the squad so I'd say it's a decent upgrade.  Last season we were short of players who could come on from the bench and make a pacey impact out wide.  As a result our subs were often a defensive move (Parslow), rotation of LJL, Ollie and JPP or rotation of Clay, Disley and Brown.  A fresh and motivated Marshall running at defences in the last 15-20 mins could make a difference in those games against teams that park the bus.  Jolley was supposed to be the one but he didn't deliver.  

Thinking back to Wembley, imagine if we could have brought on a fresh winger late on when Rovers were falling down with cramp...

Once again PH has kept his cards close and pulled out a surprise.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 29, 2015, 3:51pm; Reply: 100
Christ on a bike some over reaction here lets see what he can do I thought he looked ok first time round, nice bit of pace he will have a better understanding with the Robertson lets see first what happens. An extra wide man is a great addition.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 29, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Christ on a bike some over reaction here lets see what he can do I thought he looked ok first time round, nice bit of pace he will have a better understanding with the Robertson lets see first what happens. An extra wide man is a great addition.

Based on what, have they played together before?
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 29, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Good signing if he's grown up a bit wants to be part of a winning side . Can't believe PH wouldn't have factored this into his decision . If he can produce his best form he could be a starter easy with his ability .

Lincoln fans seem rather scathing of his likely performances based on what he did for them.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 29, 2015, 4:07pm; Reply: 103

True, but if you ask most Town fans about Bradley Wood, for example) they'll say he's not good enough for Town, but personally I'd have him back (OK, for cover only at first); I think this is because he's gone to our local rivals; if he'd gone anywhere else I think we'd all be sayng he's a good signing.  

Marshall looked very good against us from what people say (I missed the home game v the Gimps), so maybe it's just a case of Hurst getting his consistency levels up.  In Hurst we trust.
Posted by: NewtoN, June 29, 2015, 4:17pm; Reply: 104
Imagine he'll play the sort of role Jolley played second half of last season. Chip in with a couple of  important goals and not moan when left out. Good squad player.  :)
Posted by: Helgy, June 29, 2015, 4:29pm; Reply: 105
Hey he's a Lincoln reject surely that's not good enough for you from a mid table side. ;D

Joking aside very hit and miss. Struggled early on with fitness showed the odd glimmer of talent but in the main tended to hide on the pitch.
My take he would suit a winning side but not one where a lot of graft was required.
Posted by: Sigone, June 29, 2015, 4:34pm; Reply: 106
People getting upset just cos he's played for us before, I don't get it sorry..if he hadn't of played for us we would be looking at his highlights video and eulogising about the new signing and singing hursts praises..better than mackreth for me..good signing.
Posted by: Sigone, June 29, 2015, 4:35pm; Reply: 107
Oh and Twitter rumour of a right back signing for us..anyone else heard this..no idea who though.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 29, 2015, 4:41pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Sigone
People getting upset just cos he's played for us before, I don't get it sorry..if he hadn't of played for us we would be looking at his highlights video and eulogising about the new signing and singing hursts praises..better than mackreth for me..good signing.

First of all I don't see anyone upset about the fact he is an ex player.

Secondly unless I don't understand the point you are making, those that are making comments about his ability are saying it because we have seen him before.

Posted by: moosey_club, June 29, 2015, 4:47pm; Reply: 109
Another winger/attacking player on the books who knows the set up already which should help rule out any settling in/ teething issues.  
Good move IMO

Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 29, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 110
Personally believe that an on-form Marshall offers more than an on-form Mackreth, more flair anyway.

As has been said before, we should get behind anyone pulling on the shirt whether we rate them or not.

Welcome back Marcus.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, June 29, 2015, 5:12pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Sigone

This exactly.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, June 29, 2015, 5:17pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from Helgy
Hey he's a Lincoln reject surely that's not good enough for you from a mid table side. ;D

Joking aside very hit and miss. Struggled early on with fitness showed the odd glimmer of talent but in the main tended to hide on the pitch.
My take he would suit a winning side but not one where a lot of graft was required.

We know about him ? He's been here before 😀
Is it quiet on the gimps forum ?
I
Utm
Posted by: highcliff mariner, June 29, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from arryarryarry

First of all I don't see anyone upset about the fact he is an ex player.

Secondly unless I don't understand the point you are making, those that are making comments about his ability are saying it because we have seen him before.

I don't think you understand the point he's making .
Posted by: Garth, June 29, 2015, 6:16pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Helgy

TBF it was a surprise to me to see him back here again,  but after experiencing how wrong we all were regarding the signing of Clay I feel that PH knows his man better than us,  and he just may turn out like Clay a complete surprise, anyway its no big risk is it with the strength of the squad already signed up.

Welcome back for a second try Marcus
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), June 29, 2015, 6:27pm; Reply: 115
Gotta laugh it this Helgy trying to tell us about Marcus

No disrespect Helgy bu Lincoln fans are poor judges of what makes a footballer
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 29, 2015, 6:29pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from 120790

I hope they don't start rating Liam Hearn if he scores 25 goals next season!
Posted by: tarka, June 29, 2015, 6:34pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from 120790

ermmmm....why?
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, June 29, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 118
Posted by Luke Imp on the non league fans forum:

He had a good 5 or 6 games in a row when Moyse's first came in when there was less emphasis on wingers doing defensive work but that was it.

Won't fit in with Hurst's style of football with the emphasis on wingers also being full-backs !!!!!!!
Posted by: Tinymariner, June 29, 2015, 7:01pm; Reply: 119
He didn't overly impress here last time and tended to run into trouble with the ball, however that could have been due to a lack of outlets available to him in the box.
I will judge him on current form and not previous. I'm not doing cartwheels at the signing, however, welcome back Marcus and let's get promoted. UTM
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, June 29, 2015, 8:32pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from 120790

Why would we do that? We'd be in danger of having an informed debate! ;-)
Posted by: Meza, June 29, 2015, 8:38pm; Reply: 121
Yep quite refreshing actually says his time at Lincoln was awful lol
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 29, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Meza
Yep quite refreshing actually says his time at Lincoln was awful lol

It'll be funny if he scores a wonder goal and sets up 2 others for a comprehensive 3-0 win at Sincil Bank.
Posted by: Youngy, June 29, 2015, 9:09pm; Reply: 123

Was thinking that myself. Monkhouse maybe the Jones to Bogles Reddy.
Posted by: nightrider, June 29, 2015, 9:11pm; Reply: 124
I don't think anybody is knocking his talent
Its the lack of effort he put in last time. I thought he got dropped for afew games and this was the reason? Could have been 'personal problems' or what ever he had going on. I just know Ive never seen a player saunter around so blatantly uninterested. In one game Im sure he was trying to run away from the ball! I think he was dropped for the next game
Posted by: Rik e B, June 29, 2015, 9:47pm; Reply: 125
Butler?
Sestanovich?
Warhurst?

Add many from that dreadful period... unless you really quite young.
Posted by: Meza, June 29, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 126
I thought Sestanovic was ok just had an attitude.  Butler well i aint even going to there.  Warhurst wasn't to bad i guess we got him during his end of days.
Posted by: friskneymariner, June 29, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 127
Sestanovic criminally wasted his talent literally.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, June 29, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 128
Decent enough signing, makes sense, can play either side, maybe not expected to start but will put pressure on McKreth and Arnold.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 29, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 129
I don't think Monkhouse will be first choice. Anyway its always good to have different types of wingers and strikers on the bench to change a game. One thing I did notice last season was that we hardly ever had a player who came on and changed a game.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 29, 2015, 11:33pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from 120790

Based on what?

The Lincoln fans don't buy the players you know, or do you think they do?

Posted by: arryarryarry, June 29, 2015, 11:39pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from highcliff mariner

We know about him ? He's been here before 😀
Is it quiet on the gimps forum ?
I
Utm

I'm quite happy for other clubs fans to post on here and in the case of Helgy I don't think he posts to take the p!ss or to cause offence.

Are you just being childishly petty?
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, June 30, 2015, 7:26am; Reply: 132
  Reckon he is reasonable enough signing for us right now with squad we have the fact Hurst seems to have a plan, the new players coming should be a team of intent (I hope) and I think the gaffer knows what he is doing. UTM
Posted by: highcliff mariner, June 30, 2015, 7:46am; Reply: 133
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm quite happy for other clubs fans to post on here and in the case of Helgy I don't think he posts to take the p!ss or to cause offence.

Are you just being childishly petty?

It was said light heartedly ,hence the smiley .

Are you a policeman 😥
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, June 30, 2015, 8:32am; Reply: 134
Quoted from Mariner_09
I don't think Monkhouse will be first choice. Anyway its always good to have different types of wingers and strikers on the bench to change a game. One thing I did notice last season was that we hardly ever had a player who came on and changed a game.

Other than Parslow you mean? ;-)
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 30, 2015, 9:07am; Reply: 135
Quoted from highcliff mariner

It was said light heartedly ,hence the smiley .

Are you a policeman 😥

No smiley appeared on my view of your quote.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 30, 2015, 9:39am; Reply: 136
I think he gives decent back up and pace is something we were short of. Have quite a bit of variety now in our attacking players which could be useful as the season progresses.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 30, 2015, 9:45am; Reply: 137
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I think he gives decent back up and pace is something we were short of. Have quite a bit of variety now in our attacking players which could be useful as the season progresses.

I agree with one of the posters earlier, Marshall could actually break into the team and replace Mackreth or Arnold.  Neither should be 100% sure of a starting berth, they're not that good.  Don't get me wrong, one their day they're really good and I like them both, but neither is consistent enough,  this will keep them on their toes and maybe bring the best out of them.

At the very least, Marshall is a good option to have coming off the bench.  I don't see what all the fuss is about, the signing makes complete sense to me.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 30, 2015, 9:46am; Reply: 138
Quoted from Helgy

We'll be doing a lot of that this season so he'll suit nicely.  ;)
Posted by: oldun, June 30, 2015, 10:55am; Reply: 139
Marcus is a skilful player, he just needs to apply himself more and show it consistently rather than in flashes and then go missing for long periods. He may be different now he has a contract rather than being on loan and remember he was only on loan at Lincoln. I fully understand their style would not get the best out of him.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 30, 2015, 11:26am; Reply: 140
A Paul hurst signing of 2 years ago , not the standard of recent signings imo.

I just don't see what he Will give us to help us win the league, not the quality required.

Remember the target is winning the league this year nothing less.

I can see him being cover but I still think there would have been better out there unless he was stupidly cheap.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, June 30, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 141
If he wants it enough he could be a quality signing. Just depends which Marcus Marshall we've signed, the one we had on loan before the Luton saga, or the one we signed. As with all wingers he's inconsistent, but can be the match winner on his day.
The biggest thing for me is, was his lack of commitment and passion, hopefully we can see some this time around and with this squad around him, which showed more passion and belief than any Town side I've seen for years last year, we should get it out of him.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 30, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 142
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I just don't see what he Will give us to help us win the league, not the quality required.

I can see him being cover but I still think there would have been better out there unless he was stupidly cheap.

We're building a squad and I'd imagine he probably was pretty cheap. He showed in his first spell that he had something, he just didn't sustain it. If you expect every signing we make this Summer to be title winning calibre then you're going to be disappointed.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 30, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 143
Quoted from jonnyboy82

He needs some kind of motivation jonnyboy.  How about some kind of forfeit if he plays in a certain amount of games, or is on the pitch for a certain amount of minutes.
Perhaps beef burgers this year? ;)
Posted by: mariner91, June 30, 2015, 11:45am; Reply: 144
Quoted from Civvy at last

He needs some kind of motivation jonnyboy.  How about some kind of forfeit if he plays in a certain amount of games, or is on the pitch for a certain amount of minutes.
Perhaps beef burgers this year? ;)

Hot Bovril enema.
Posted by: Rick12, June 30, 2015, 12:19pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from acko338
Hurst must see something to bring him back again - on form, could tear teams apart - we'll be looking for that quality this season !
Thing is Acko this suggests that when he wants to he has the quality to do it which suggests its maybe a attitude thing.Get the mentality right and we have a good signing on our hands.That comes from Hurst helping the player but ultimately boils down to Marcus himself.Work on the mental side of his game and be consistent and he'll be a good signing for us
Posted by: DocTower, June 30, 2015, 1:02pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Rick12
Thing is Acko this suggests that when he wants to he has the quality to do it which suggests it a maybe a attitude thing.Get the mentality right and we have a good signing on our hands.That comes from Hurst helping the player but ultimatley boils down to Marcus himself.Work on the mental side of his game and be consistent and he'll be a good signing for us

Hurst has improved as a manager  , he believes he can get the best out of Marcus  I'm sure he will , he will now be playing  in and with a team who believes . Certainly different from last time he was here plus he is two years older two years wiser two years more experience . A couple of good games to prove these doubters wrong will do the trick .
Posted by: Rick12, June 30, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from DocTower

Hurst has improved as a manager  , he believes he can get the best out of Marcus  I'm sure he will , he will now be playing  in and with a team who believes . Certainly different from last time he was here plus he is two years older two years wiser two years more experience . A couple of good games to prove these doubters wrong will do the trick .
Hope so

Posted by: Trawler, June 30, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Given your recent well publicised failure with player assessment - i.e. the blinder you played with your views on LJL - forgive me if I take your opinions with a JCB sized pinch of salt.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 30, 2015, 1:31pm; Reply: 149
Do what you want  >:(
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 30, 2015, 1:46pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from DocTower

Unfortunately something he failed to do with Cook and Nielson.

As for two years older and more experience that certainly wasn't the case with Jolley who was a shadow of the player he was two seasons ago.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 30, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 151
I don't think Marshall comes in the "awkward" category of Thomas or Nielson or possibly Cook. Hurst doesn't tend to keep such players too long and that's maybe the reason for the current good team spirit, I don't know. It does tend to remove the flair element from the side but it seems to me that Hurst doesn't rate flair as much as he rates teamwork.  Marshall isn't a blind signing, he's a squad signing who will provide cover and might fit in better than he did last time. We wait and see.

Tait may fill a space at the back and then I'm still hoping for a good quality experienced striker to play with Bogle. That would be the clincher for a decent squad.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, June 30, 2015, 2:04pm; Reply: 152
i thought Marshall was decent in his last stint here even if not exactly great.Has good pace and a bit of skill. His problem is end product and lack of consistentcy. tbh flaws many players at this level have..

He provides another option.He may have improved his game since he left. Let's not slate him before he kicks a ball.

Posted by: DocTower, June 30, 2015, 3:30pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from arryarryarry

Unfortunately something he failed to do with Cook and Nielson.

As for two years older and more experience that certainly wasn't the case with Jolley who was a shadow of the player he was two seasons ago.

All depends  if your cup is half full or half empty , I want to be positive.  Jolley , to me never wanted to be here , the other two , there were plenty of reasons anyone could give as to why they left . These players have gone , Marshall you could say has something to prove , let's get behind him and support him . I for one don't bash the players even before they've  kicked a ball in anger .
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 30, 2015, 4:31pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from DocTower

All depends  if your cup is half full or half empty , I want to be positive.  Jolley , to me never wanted to be here , the other two , there were plenty of reasons anyone could give as to why they left . These players have gone , Marshall you could say has something to prove , let's get behind him and support him . I for one don't bash the players even before they've  kicked a ball in anger .

I'm not bashing the bloke just making comments based on what I thought of him when I saw him when he was here previously and also trying to add a different perspective of those who seem to suggest Paul Hurst will do this or that with a player when no one on here knows what Paul Hurst will do with a player.

This board is full of posters who make themselves look a bit of a prat with outlandish comments such as this player will tear full backs a new @rsehole, this year we will go up, and the best of all "Neil Woods will keep us up" when it never happens.

It is OK being positive but making statements that certain things will happen when no one really as a clue until the ref blows his whistle on the final game of the coming season could come back to haunt us.

It worries me that it could all end in tears (of sorrow not joy) if it all goes t!ts up.

Posted by: Maringer, June 30, 2015, 4:36pm; Reply: 155
Has any manager got the best out of Nielson, ever?
Posted by: LH, June 30, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 156
The one at Burger King has.  ;)
Posted by: DocTower, June 30, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from arryarryarry

This board is full of posters who make themselves look a bit of a prat with outlandish comments such as this player will tear full backs a new @rsehole, this year we will go up, and the best of all "Neil Woods will keep us up" when it never happens.

It is OK being positive but making statements that certain things will happen when no one really as a clue until the ref blows his whistle on the final game of the coming season could come back to haunt us.

It worries me that it could all end in tears (of sorrow not joy) if it all goes t!ts up.

Your right that some of the comments regarding other signings were overboard , we will be a strong side again this coming season , and we will be the scalp that  other teams will want .  Your right again , we won't know how good we until that first whistle , highs and lows are part and parcel of watching town . A lot rides on this season , could it all go mammaries up ? Like you , I hope not but will still be there watching , if it does go mammaries  up I'll bring the tissues .
Posted by: Abdul19, June 30, 2015, 5:32pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from LH
The one at Burger King has.  ;)

Or Faces
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 30, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's all part of the fun. Don't forget it works both ways. A few people said we wouldn't make the playoffs, crowds would dwindle, and famously LJL wouldn't get 20 goals.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 30, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 160
There is a very big belief that this is our time I think we all know not to be over confident and at the end of the season there will be games we should win, but it's not only players that can turn games the poor standard of officicials can and do influence matches.

The big plus this time around for me anyway is the fact that barring two players we still have the strong side we finished with which proved away from home anyway virtually unbeatable.

This season is going to very interesting to say the least.
Posted by: Rick12, June 30, 2015, 7:38pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

This season is going to very interesting to say the least.
Have a feeling its going to be stronger than the last though especially with the likes of Bogle in it.Have a sneaky feeling he maybe a better player than John Lewis was

Posted by: grimsby pete, June 30, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 162
The squad Hurst and Doig are getting together is better than last year,

If that striker is signing tomorrow( a little bird told me he is )

We have strength in depth in all departments,

So injuries and suspensions should not be too much of a worry,

Well done Paul and Chris,  you are both doing a grand job. 8)
Posted by: Rick12, June 30, 2015, 7:48pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from grimsby pete

If that striker is signing tomorrow( a little bird told me he is )

Fingers crossed Pete

Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, June 30, 2015, 9:35pm; Reply: 164
With Hurst's track record of signings, should we really be quibbling over his judgement? Just wait and see...
Posted by: ginnywings, June 30, 2015, 9:37pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
With Hurst's track record of signings, should we really be quibbling over his judgement? Just wait and see...

Welcome Mr Brace.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 9:34pm