Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 30, 2015, 12:45am
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/New-study-finds-Grimsby-Town-stadium-highly/story-26798289-detail/story.html

says the council have done some research into how a new stadium could help the town.

Here's the pdf with the research at the end:

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/committees/FunctionsPage.aspx?dsid=130550&action=GetFileFromDB

Also mentions that the exclusivity agreement on the Peaks Parkway site has lapsed. No idea how important that fact is.

Ooh nice! Says the club has two plans of how the project could go ahead. One, we'd be able to build a stadium in 14months....the other says it would be 9 years following start of construction for a fourth and final stand!

[img]http://puu.sh/iHCCt/25d0d099ab.png[/img]

A little bit of a bleak outlook:

[img]http://puu.sh/iHDxv/09da1d4d48.png[/img]

and then a rather drab summary conclusion (spot the mistakes): [img]http://puu.sh/iHEjx/0c442660b6.png[/img]
Posted by: Trawler, June 30, 2015, 8:07am; Reply: 1
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/New-study-finds-Grimsby-Town-stadium-highly/story-26798289-detail/story.html

says the council have done some research into how a new stadium could help the town.

Here's the pdf with the research at the end:

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/committees/FunctionsPage.aspx?dsid=130550&action=GetFileFromDB

Also mentions that the exclusivity agreement on the Peaks Parkway site has lapsed. No idea how important that fact is.

Ooh nice! Says the club has two plans of how the project could go ahead. One, we'd be able to build a stadium in 14months....the other says it would be 9 years following start of construction for a fourth and final stand!

[img]http://puu.sh/iHCCt/25d0d099ab.png[/img]

A little bit of a bleak outlook:

[img]http://puu.sh/iHDxv/09da1d4d48.png[/img]

and then a rather drab summary conclusion (spot the mistakes): [img]http://puu.sh/iHEjx/0c442660b6.png[/img]

"The club's strongly held view is that without a move to an efficient and modern stadium the club will cease to operate within 3 years"

That's a pretty powerful statement. Surprised the Telegraph aren't leading with GTFC TO CLOSE IN 3 YEARS?
Posted by: mike_d, June 30, 2015, 8:15am; Reply: 2
They will now it's been on forums. Has anyone twitted it yet to guarantee its inclusion?
Posted by: moosey_club, June 30, 2015, 8:23am; Reply: 3
The club "will cease to operate"...very powerful statement ...or rather propoganda statement.  The club as it is currently run under its current regime may cease to operate but who is to say that should the club find itself still at BP and still non league in 3 yrs time that a takeover wont occurr ?

Strong words trying to sway the council i think, JF has stated many a time that his loans are benign and he wouldnt demand them back if the clubs future would be at risk by doing so.....so in 3 yrs time if he has had enough of pouring his money into the GTFC accounts black hole he could just walk away from a day to day role in the club and leave it open for others to take over, i dont think that equates to "the club will cease to operate" does it?
He would still have his money there as loans to be cashed in should the club find itself in a position to repay ,as he has now ,but without the day to day hassle of it.

Regards the exclusitivity expiring i wonder if this means that any other developer can now just take over the proposed site and have it for housing/ retail without a stadium?  The council have publicly shown they are open to offers for the site and the club have looked at housing development and retail development as part of the deal so i would think, without a current robust local plan in place, that a canny developer could use that to their advantage and put a hostile plan in place? They would have the ready finance and dont need the headache of a stadium to build in the middle so might be a profitable proposition for them now...
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 30, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 4
Quoted from moosey_club
The club "will cease to operate"...very powerful statement ...or rather propoganda statement.  The club as it is currently run under its current regime may cease to operate but who is to say that should the club find itself still at BP and still non league in 3 yrs time that a takeover wont occurr ?

To be fair the statement then says that additional finance cannot be guaranteed, it doesn't rule it out completely, but there's no reason to think it will come. For years Fenty has said the club is available to take over and there has not been anyone come forward publicly as far as I know.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 30, 2015, 9:34am; Reply: 5
I am 100% behind the new stadium plans, but I still don't see how it's viable.  The club owe Fenty a fortune, make an annual loss, are still in non-League after 5 years, and there's an army of NIMBY's who'll fight tooth and nail to stop it, including a GTFC-supporting councillor!  I just can't see this happening.

I think everyone involved right now; fans, players and Fenty; DESERVE this to happen, but I just don't know where the money is coming from.

This all worries me.  Looking down the road at Scunthorpe United, we could not be in a more different situation if we tried.

Even though everyone's positive right now about the playing side, supporting this club is still a huge drain on the sanity of most fans, it really is depressing thinking about the future, especially when the club's owners are practically admitting we might not have one.

I would be ecstatic if the ground got built, genuinely, but right now the only thing I can think of that will give the scheme even half a chance is if we win promotion.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 30, 2015, 9:45am; Reply: 6
The comments from the nimbys always raises a chuckle to me!

'Why do they need a new ground for 14000 when they only get 4000'.....I'd love fenty etc to turn round and ask why they need a 4 bedroom house when it's only then and their old Doris!

You have family round....we have big clubs every now and again!
Posted by: 97 (Guest), June 30, 2015, 9:49am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Heisenberg

I would be ecstatic if the ground got built, genuinely, but right now the only thing I can think of that will give the scheme even half a chance is if we win promotion.

I agree. We have to ride the wave of goodwill this time as I don't think it'll be there next season should we fail again. We HAVE to go up this time.

No pressure lads... ;)

Posted by: Heisenberg, June 30, 2015, 9:51am; Reply: 8
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

'Why do they need a new ground for 14000 when they only get 4000'.....I'd love fenty etc to turn round and ask why they need a 4 bedroom house when it's only then and their old Doris!

You've hit the nail on the head there, they make me laugh too, but the problem is their voices are heard by those who matter.  I suppose one good thing to come from their bile is that THEY come across as the hooligans!

I remember when Town took 500 to Lincoln for a pre-season (Lincs Cup) game maybe 2 years ago, and some allotment owner said "big wow, 500 to a game, tin-pot non league club" or words to that effect.  It made me wonder, how many people go to his allotment?  Seriously, is there anything, other than Armed Forces Day, that gets people in Grimsby (OK, Cleethorpes) in one place at one time like GTFC does?  No, not even close.  Without GTFC, this town is sh#te.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 30, 2015, 9:53am; Reply: 9
I sincerely hope if it is built it is under scenario B as a stadium without stands at both end for 5 years would be pretty soulless.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 30, 2015, 9:58am; Reply: 10
Quoted from arryarryarry
I sincerely hope if it is built it is under scenario B as a stadium without stands at both end for 5 years would be pretty soulless.

It would also be interesting to see how it would work allocating space to away supporters.
Even if we were back in the league, we surely wouldn't be allocating half the ground to away support ??  
Posted by: 97 (Guest), June 30, 2015, 10:05am; Reply: 11
"ride the wave of goodwill"

Christ, I've turned into Andy Townsend.
Posted by: gaz57, June 30, 2015, 11:03am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last

It would also be interesting to see how it would work allocating space to away supporters.
Even if we were back in the league, we surely wouldn't be allocating half the ground to away support ??  

Park the buses down one side and let them watch through the window. It would keep the nimby element happy because they could be driven away as soon as the whistle is blown to end the game.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 30, 2015, 12:05pm; Reply: 13
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/New-list-possible-Grimsby-Town-stadium-sites/story-26799023-detail/story.html

Another story on the Telegraph site about potential alternative locations.  Wondered how long it would take for Freeman Street to be mentioned, with the flats coming down and the empty blocks of shops/flats previously occupied by House of Holland etc. this could be a viable alternative.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a perfect spot but on face value it ticks more boxes than PP does.  

Of course, getting an anchor tenants in would prove a lot more difficult. At least I would presume so anyway.  

Reading between the lines with the WE WILL GO BUST statement from the club and the comments from NELC and respective Councillors, I don't think the new stadium will be built on PP.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 30, 2015, 12:17pm; Reply: 14
The 3 sites the council like are close to:

Harrington st, cleethorpes
Imperial ave, cleethorpes
Blundell ave, cleethorpes
Posted by: ginnywings, June 30, 2015, 12:26pm; Reply: 15
If we don't get the new stadium and JF waves goodbye, then there is evidence that we can do a Wrexham and become fan owned. Think the Trust will be looking at this scenario long term.
Posted by: pizzzza, June 30, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 16
Why are other sites even being mentioned at this stage? It was my understanding that Peaks Parkway was the only viable site, or so we were told.
Posted by: Grim74, June 30, 2015, 1:02pm; Reply: 17
Can't believe a phonix club has even been thought about, how negative! Turned my stomach reading that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 30, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Grim74
Can't believe a phonix club has even been thought about, how negative! Turned my stomach reading that.

Which phoenix club?
Posted by: Grim74, June 30, 2015, 1:29pm; Reply: 19
Read the report above. Phonix  :B
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 30, 2015, 1:45pm; Reply: 20
The one with Sammy the snake?
Posted by: gaz57, June 30, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from arryarryarry

Which phoenix club?

Signing Peter Kay are we, at least he'll go the extra mile for us or is it 500 and then 500 more.
Posted by: EY Mariner, June 30, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 22
I think this has to be seen as a positive step. While I'm still not sure I'll quite believe anything about a new stadium until and unless we're actually playing in it, the fact that we now have the leaders of the two largest council groups expressing public support is encouraging. However, I am worried by the possibility that more potential sites could be brought into play and confusing the issues around the project.

Personally, I don't see the 'cease to operate within three years' line as being any more than a very worst case scenario to lay out, in as stark a way as possible, just how important this is. Politics has got in our way too often. It can't happen again.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 30, 2015, 11:19pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Priceless!
Posted by: immariner, July 1, 2015, 12:13am; Reply: 24
I know it's propaganda by the club but this business about running at a loss, as if it is inevitable and unavoidable, is nonsense. The club doesn't have to run at a loss currently and moving to a new stadium doesn't guarantee against not making a loss, it just guarantees greater year-round income.
Posted by: mimma, July 1, 2015, 12:34am; Reply: 25
What I don't understand is how Hull & Scunthorpe can plan & build their stadium in a few years, with the full help from the council. while we are playing politics & pussyfooting around still arguing about whether the site is right or not.

Why does it take years to make a single decision in N. E. Lincs? Just plan, approve & build, every other town can manage to do it. (Scunny twice!)

Noticed that Hull have announced a new venue for music. It WILL be open by 2018.
Posted by: Meza, July 1, 2015, 6:45am; Reply: 26
Yeah they obviously want to help build one but they don't like the PP site. Unless they are just showing the nimbys that they are trying all possibilities.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 1, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 27
Quoted from mimma
What I don't understand is how Hull & Scunthorpe can plan & build their stadium in a few years, with the full help from the council. while we are playing politics & pussyfooting around still arguing about whether the site is right or not.

Why does it take years to make a single decision in N. E. Lincs? Just plan, approve & build, every other town can manage to do it. (Scunny twice!)

Noticed that Hull have announced a new venue for music. It WILL be open by 2018.

Hull's ground was built with some of the funds from the sale of Kingston Communications I believe and Glanford Park with the help of funding from the sale of the Old Show Ground to is it Sainsbury's.

Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2015, 10:01am; Reply: 28
Quoted from arryarryarry

Hull's ground was built with some of the funds from the sale of Kingston Communications I believe and Glanford Park with the help of funding from the sale of the Old Show Ground to is it Sainsbury's.

This.

We are in a position where we need outside finance and that brings it's own complications. It's not just a case of getting planning for a new ground and building it. There are many different things that have to fall into place and the site has to contain housing and/or pubs and shops to be viable. That takes a lot of planning and the Council have to make sure it meets other criteria other than just football, that will benefit the wider community. Then there is all the infrastructure to consider.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 1, 2015, 3:02pm; Reply: 29
Ideally a new stadium built near Freemo say on the old ice house site opposite would aesthetically look superb with the Doc Tower and old dock offices as back drops (imagine the view on the fly over.) Would not be that difficult to provide a exit road off the Ai80 and a rail link already exists. It would be a great gateway and a jewel in Grimsby's crown. Plus would still keep fans away from the main shopping area and town centre. Just one major stumbling block ABP would probably never give us the land or grant planning. Would not be any nimbys to contend with over there and it would certainly look better than that derelict old ice house which needs pulling down it's a bloody right eye sore.
Posted by: ackomariner, July 1, 2015, 3:13pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Ideally a new stadium built near Freemo say on the old ice house site opposite would aesthetically look superb with the Doc Tower and old dock offices as back drops (imagine the view on the fly over.) Would not be that difficult to provide a exit road off the Ai80 and a rail link already exists. It would be a great gateway and a jewel in Grimsby's crown. Plus would still keep fans away from the main shopping area and town centre. Just one major stumbling block ABP would probably never give us the land or grant planning. Would not be any nimbys to contend with over there and it would certainly look better than that derelict old ice house which needs pulling down it's a bloody right eye sore.

Would just have people fighting to stop the old ice works being pulled down. Going to have people moan wherever gets put forward... Sad but true
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 1, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 31
It is mate especially when these eyesores get the go ahead straight away.How long we been trying 20 odd years?? makes ya sick.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Green-light-giant-solar-farm-power-6-000-homes/story-26798029-detail/story.html
Posted by: moosey_club, July 1, 2015, 3:29pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Not enough space for a decent sized stadium, land too valuable to ABP .....we have no money of our own to develop. End of.

We are reliant on external funding paying for it, cheap/ gifted land which preferably isnt green fields and in a desirable location where a developer would see a good return for their money, whether from attracting prestigious shopping names or pound per square metre for housing.  PP ticks some of those but not all so it would never be an easy overnight process, G Coates didnt tick them all either so again not an overnight process and ultimately wasted time effort and money forging ahead with it.
Its ok moaning at the council but they are there to uphold the central government's planning laws, Scunny's first move was an easy one, get the football stadium out of the town centre to a remote roundabout and bring in a much needed resource .....their next move again fits in with what is happening in the local plan so easy to do.

There are very few brown field options in the Town to consider to make the planning process an easily supported one, along the Humber Bank perhaps but earmarked for industrial use and no great desirability for partnering with a developer, Freeman St..complications with various land owners involved (largely the mason's) and in a largely residential area however i would think businesses may not object and possibly not the residents either also not ready to roll out any time soon, Western School..large enough plot but surrounded by residential...and my own personal favourite Waltham Airfield...space..remote...major road link..desirable post code..retail opprtunity for ever expanding New Waltham, Humberston, Waltham and villages to the south.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, July 1, 2015, 3:42pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from moosey_club

Not enough space for a decent sized stadium, land too valuable to ABP .....we have no money of our own to develop. End of.

We are reliant on external funding paying for it, cheap/ gifted land which preferably isnt green fields and in a desirable location where a developer would see a good return for their money, whether from attracting prestigious shopping names or pound per square metre for housing.  PP ticks some of those but not all so it would never be an easy overnight process, G Coates didnt tick them all either so again not an overnight process and ultimately wasted time effort and money forging ahead with it.
Its ok moaning at the council but they are there to uphold the central government's planning laws, Scunny's first move was an easy one, get the football stadium out of the town centre to a remote roundabout and bring in a much needed resource .....their next move again fits in with what is happening in the local plan so easy to do.

There are very few brown field options in the Town to consider to make the planning process an easily supported one, along the Humber Bank perhaps but earmarked for industrial use and no great desirability for partnering with a developer, Freeman St..complications with various land owners involved (largely the mason's) and in a largely residential area however i would think businesses may not object and possibly not the residents either also not ready to roll out any time soon, Western School..large enough plot but surrounded by residential...and my own personal favourite Waltham Airfield...space..remote...major road link..desirable post code..retail opprtunity for ever expanding New Waltham, Humberston, Waltham and villages to the south.

And only a stones throw for anyone that wants to go to that superb outdoor Kart circuit :)
UTM
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 34
The land would have to be council owned. What about the Golf Club? I'm sure it probably runs at a loss, whack a supermarket on there, bobs your uncle.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 1, 2015, 3:54pm; Reply: 35
If the cheapest option available costs £22 million then I would argue that money would be better spent renovating BP. We could even build one of these AMAZING conference centres which generate millions of pounds a year apparently.

Seriously this idea of moving stadium looks absolutely crackers to me when you see the figures written down.

There is still no explanation as to how any of this money would be raised and unless I have missed it the ownership of the ground has not been clarified either.

I won’t rant on about the out of town site at PP again but suffice to say my initial enthusiasm for moving has all but gone.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2015, 4:10pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from psgmariner
If the cheapest option available costs £22 million then I would argue that money would be better spent renovating BP. We could even build one of these AMAZING conference centres which generate millions of pounds a year apparently.

Seriously this idea of moving stadium looks absolutely crackers to me when you see the figures written down.

There is still no explanation as to how any of this money would be raised and unless I have missed it the ownership of the ground has not been clarified either.

I won’t rant on about the out of town site at PP again but suffice to say my initial enthusiasm for moving has all but gone.

But we haven't got 22 million to play with, so renovating BP is a no-no. Even if we had the money, it would be unsuitable. It's past it's sell by date and in the wrong part of Town. The majority of the 22 million would come from enabling developments, otherwise we won't be getting a new ground, full stop.
Posted by: grimps, July 1, 2015, 4:34pm; Reply: 37
People are in dream land if they think lots of privately owned buildings and houses are going to be knocked down on the Freeman street area to make a football ground . The council are mischief making by suggesting other useless sites
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 1, 2015, 5:15pm; Reply: 38
More smoke and mirrors I'm afraid. It seems to me that other clubs make things happen while we have to wait around for others to make things happen for us. On the Sunday we played Eastleigh, Radio Hull interviewed Peter Swann (scunny chairman) and it was so matter of fact, land deal is done, plans will go to tender, best bid wins, financial penalties if they're late whilst we talk about Great Coates, Peaks Parkway, the docks, Freemo, Waltham or wherever else
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 1, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from grimps
People are in dream land if they think lots of privately owned buildings and houses are going to be knocked down on the Freeman street area to make a football ground . The council are mischief making by suggesting other useless sites
The Council could issue 'Compulsory Purchase Orders', demanding they move to make way for the new stadium.

This is what happend with Tottenhams new 56,000 seater stadium, which were issued in favor of the football stadium project.

I quite like the idea of Freeman Street looking like this, but with a 14,000 seater stadium.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kpggmqx.jpg[/img]
Posted by: rancido, July 1, 2015, 7:54pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I mentioned this scenario to a friend when he said the club didn't need such a big stadium when they only attract 4 - 5,000 fans max. I asked him why he bought a three bedroomed house when he got married as there was only him and his wife. He replied that they planned to have two children and would need the extra rooms in the future. I replied that the club were ambitious and could need the extra space to accommodate fans if we played in the higher divisions. He said " what if you don't get back in the league " to which I replied " what if you can't have children ". He never mentioned it again !
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 1, 2015, 8:19pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
The land would have to be council owned. What about the Golf Club? I'm sure it probably runs at a loss, [/b]whack a supermarket on there, bobs your uncle[b].

Have not seen the news recently, all the major supermarkets profits are going down.
Look at Bristol Rovers and Sainsbury's situation, no supermarket in going to invest in a new development in this area.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 1, 2015, 8:22pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from psgmariner
If the cheapest option available costs £22 million then I would argue that money would be better spent [/b]renovating BP.[b] We could even build one of these AMAZING conference centres which generate millions of pounds a year apparently.

The council want GTFC to move from BP
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 1, 2015, 11:49pm; Reply: 43
The longer this drags on the more I see similarities between ours and wimbledons local council Merton who kept on saying they wanted Wimbledon to have a new ground but kept on putting blocks in place until they were shafted basically .
Posted by: Trawler, July 2, 2015, 12:17am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Ice house/factory site is grade 2 listed. That's never coming down. IF ABP even agreed to lease/sell land to GTFC Fenty is on public record saying that it would cost vastly more than it is worth to fill in the docks and build a sub structure than start from scratch at PP. Docks is a non starter for too many reasons.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 2, 2015, 12:23pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The longer this drags on the more I see similarities between ours and wimbledons local council Merton who kept on saying they wanted Wimbledon to have a new ground but kept on putting blocks in place until they were shafted basically .

I think they're finally trying to coax them back now after years in the wilderness. God knows where we'd end up if we couldn't find a home in NEL. At least Wimbledon and Barnet had neighbouring urban boroughs to pitch up in.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 2, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from grimps

Once those flats come down there's very little there at the top end of Freemo at all.   What remains are largely derelict and could be bought cheaply (I would imagine anyway).

Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 2, 2015, 1:16pm; Reply: 47
[/b]
Quoted from diehardmariner

Once those flats come down there's very little there at the top end of Freemo at all.   What remains are largely derelict and could be bought cheaply (I would imagine anyway).[b]

How much do think the land and construction would be?  were do town get that sort of money.
You need enough land to develop to attract other investment to help with the cost of building the stadium (housing, food and leisure outlets etc) Freemo is not big enough.
Posted by: BIGChris, July 2, 2015, 1:22pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from The Yard Dog
[b][/b]

How much do think the land and construction would be?  were do town get that sort of money.
You need enough land to develop to attract other investment to help with the cost of building the stadium (housing, food and leisure outlets etc) Freemo is not big enough.

I know very little about this but surely there are huge grants available for regeneration of depressed areas from national and European funds which would apply to something like Freemo that certainly wouldnt to Peaks Parkway????

This could be totally wrong of course but maybe the same level of 'anchor' tennant wouldnt be required at Freemo??
Posted by: Dan, July 2, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 49
Even with the towers coming down, the site at Freeman street isn't big enough. Plus, we 're meant to be moving out of a shithole not into one.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 2, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Dan
Even with the towers coming down, the site at Freeman street isn't big enough. Plus, we 're meant to be moving out of a shithole not into one.

It would not be a shithole when the new stadium and other buildings go up.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 2, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Dan

Typical short sighted view and the reason nothing ever gets done in this town is because of this sort of attitude.

Posted by: diehardmariner, July 2, 2015, 2:39pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from BIGChris

I know very little about this but surely there are huge grants available for regeneration of depressed areas from national and European funds which would apply to something like Freemo that certainly wouldnt to Peaks Parkway????

This could be totally wrong of course but maybe the same level of 'anchor' tennant wouldnt be required at Freemo??

That's how I see it.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 2, 2015, 2:42pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Dan

Not sure Humberstone Avenue would be a suitable site...

Site at top end of Freeman Street is absolutely huge!  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 2, 2015, 3:14pm; Reply: 54
Out of interest, does anyone have a map to show where a proposed stadium could sit in the area? Would there be enough land available around where the high rise fflats are or would buildings down cleerthorpe road need to be included in the plan?
Posted by: Dan, July 2, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 55
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1Q0MnlF.png[/IMG]

This is BP overlayed on to the site of the flats. It clearly doesn't fit without knocking down loads more buildings. Not to mentioned the fact that a new stadium would be bigger, need car parking, and an enabling development.

It's nonsense to believe it can go here without razing half the street and surrounding houses (which to be fair probably needs doing, but would be politically difficult)
Posted by: Grim74, July 2, 2015, 3:47pm; Reply: 56
That's only showing the location of one block of flats, sure there was 5 more the last time I drove past.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 2, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Dan

This is BP overlayed on to the site of the flats. It clearly doesn't fit without knocking down loads more buildings. Not to mentioned the fact that a new stadium would be bigger, need car parking, and an enabling development.

It's nonsense to believe it can go here without razing half the street and surrounding houses (which to be fair probably needs doing, but would be politically difficult)

I don't think anyone is suggesting it would go just on the site of the flats.  The idea is from Freeman Street Market upwards to Riby Square and across to Albion Street.  

As far as I'm aware the houses surrounding the flats, Comber Place etc, are also due to be demolished.    That's an awful lot of land.  

There has been moves for god knows how many years to regenerate Freeman Street, especially the top end.  I can't imagine anyway near the level of opposition for a stadium on PP.  

Posted by: Grim74, July 2, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 58
Peakes parkway all day long for me, Freemo would be a massive job but if it would mean a new stadium then that would do for me, although having a stadium in that part off town would cause the club and the police a hell of lot more grief then they would get on the parkway.
Posted by: LH, July 2, 2015, 4:50pm; Reply: 59
I fail to see how Freeman Street would solve any traffic issues?
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 2, 2015, 4:54pm; Reply: 60
All this talk about knocking the tower blocks down is making me feel old,

I was an apprentice working on those flats when I left school,

We left school at 15 in my day not 18 or 19.

BUT

If they are to come down can I press the button please.?
Posted by: rancido, July 2, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 61
I cannot believe that people are still on about Freeman Street or the docks as suitable sites for the new stadium!!! JF went into great lengths to explain the unsuitability of both these sites yet some fans still think they could be used. FFS ! Too many parts of the Freeman Street area are privately owned and trying to co-ordinate the purchase of these sites would be a nightmare. Access is very limited with very little scope for road expansion. The docks are owned by ABP who would never sell/lease any land for a football stadium especially now wind energy is the new boy in town and probably far more lucrative for them to consider that as opposed to a stadium. Obviously it would appear the Council have identified one or two alternative sites to the PP but we will have to wait to see what is revealed.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 2, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from rancido
I cannot believe that people are still on about Freeman Street or the docks as suitable sites for the new stadium!!! JF went into great lengths to explain the unsuitability of both these sites yet some fans still think they could be used. FFS ! Too many parts of the Freeman Street area are privately owned and trying to co-ordinate the purchase of these sites would be a nightmare. Access is very limited with very little scope for road expansion. The docks are owned by ABP who would never sell/lease any land for a football stadium especially now wind energy is the new boy in town and probably far more lucrative for them to consider that as opposed to a stadium. Obviously it would appear the Council have identified one or two alternative sites to the PP but we will have to wait to see what is revealed.

We just seem to be going round in circles whilst other clubs find a site, buy it and build on it.
Posted by: Pint of Mild Please Batchy, July 2, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 63
The old Tioxide site for me would be the perfect location. Good motorway links, cheap land away from residential areas and therefore moaning Nimbys! Surely a better site than Peaks Parkway imo
Posted by: ackomariner, July 2, 2015, 6:25pm; Reply: 64
The old Tioxide site for me would be the perfect location. Good motorway links, cheap land away from residential areas and therefore moaning Nimbys! Surely a better site than Peaks Parkway imo

And a nice waft of shite from the sewerage plant near by......great idea that  :P
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 2, 2015, 7:03pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Dan

I think you'll find that the mini flats/masionettes around market and the first three towers is enough room for a ground leaving the space were the other three towers are for car parking or other ventures. The houses around the other flats may belong to the Freemans, not sure.

I was told by someone to do with the flats that they were being considered by the council for a new ground but we know our councils ideas changes with tide.
Posted by: rancido, July 2, 2015, 7:05pm; Reply: 66

We would never in a million years get planning permission for a stadium on that strip of land north of the A180. The land along that strip by the Humber Bank is for Industrial use only and has been categorised as such for a long time.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 2, 2015, 7:32pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from ackomariner

And a nice waft of shite from the sewerage plant near by......great idea that  :P

I wanna go home, I wanna go ho-o-ome, Grimsby's a sh!ithole I wanna go home
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 2, 2015, 7:54pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from rancido

We would never in a million years get planning permission for a stadium on that strip of land north of the A180. The land along that strip by the Humber Bank is for Industrial use only and has been categorised as such for a long time.

Hook Line Sinker
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 2, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 69

NOT SUITABLE
Posted by: grimps, July 2, 2015, 8:30pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner

I don't think anyone is suggesting it would go just on the site of the flats.  The idea is from Freeman Street Market upwards to Riby Square and across to Albion Street.  

As far as I'm aware the houses surrounding the flats, Comber Place etc, are also due to be demolished.    That's an awful lot of land.  

There has been moves for god knows how many years to regenerate Freeman Street, especially the top end.  I can't imagine anyway near the level of opposition for a stadium on PP.  

So we're going from knocking a few allotments down to knocking 100s of people's homes and shops down ? I wish some people would get real
Posted by: WetFlannel, July 2, 2015, 9:05pm; Reply: 71
I feel that the real problem caused by this new positive feeling on here is the lack of people going on google maps and touting any any with a bit of grass between Barton and Louth as 'a potential site'.
Posted by: gaz57, July 2, 2015, 9:19pm; Reply: 72
I'm all for the new ground and live nowhere near freeman st but if your going to knock down my butcher's I'm going to become one of the nimby's
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 2, 2015, 9:23pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from gaz57
I'm all for the new ground and live nowhere near freeman st but if your going to knock down my butcher's I'm going to become one of the nimby's

The butchers is safe as far as I know, unless you get your meat from one of the towers  ;D
Posted by: gaz57, July 2, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from WetFlannel
I feel that the real problem caused by this new positive feeling on here is the lack of people going on google maps and touting any any with a bit of grass between Barton and Louth as 'a potential site'.

That would bring it under a different council so it might have a good chance of being built.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 2, 2015, 11:34pm; Reply: 75

You're not that UKIP bod are you that came up with something like this a few months back?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 2, 2015, 11:39pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from WetFlannel

There's plenty of room on the Fairfield estate in Louth .
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 1:21pm