Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, July 4, 2015, 6:32pm
The FA Trophy final has been moved until the week after the play-off finals. However the semi finals are in March, so potentially a team could reach the final of the FAT and then qualfy again for Wembley via the play-offs before they had even played there in the Trophy. Not sure what that could do for ticket sales!

Yet another reason no to bother with it IMHO.
Posted by: acko338, July 4, 2015, 6:35pm; Reply: 1
Play theReserve team !!!!!
Posted by: Youngy, July 4, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 2
Play the reserves but when we win the title we'll have one hell of a party in the capital.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 4, 2015, 11:03pm; Reply: 3
We have strength  in depth this season,

So play the 3 young lads with the ones who have not played many league games,

We could still win it. 8)
Posted by: Youngy, July 4, 2015, 11:09pm; Reply: 4
Hopefully with the return of the reserve team as well the young lads will be more prepared for senior action when the Trophy comes around.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 4, 2015, 11:13pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Youngy
Hopefully with the return of the reserve team as well the young lads will be more prepared for senior action when the Trophy comes around.

PH showed no inclination to play our "reserves" in the FAT last season. The reality is we don't have enough registered players for a proper reserve team - we are not Arsenal. I know we'll play reserve fixtures but in those we can pad our team with trialists and unregistered youth players to make up an XI. You need 18 players for an FAT game.
Posted by: RichMariner, July 4, 2015, 11:43pm; Reply: 6
I've always had mixed feelings about the FA Trophy.

Teams like Cambridge and York have proved that you can take it seriously, win it, and still get promoted.

Other teams have sacked it off and won the league.

I want us to go out and win every match, no matter what the competition (especially if I've paid to go and watch it). I wouldn't ever accept less.

But I do wonder if it's a distraction. The difficulty is that it's hard to prove one way or the other.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 4, 2015, 11:51pm; Reply: 7
Get Tranmere away first round. Lose.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, July 5, 2015, 8:39am; Reply: 8
Quoted from RichMariner
I've always had mixed feelings about the FA Trophy.

Teams like Cambridge and York have proved that you can take it seriously, win it, and still get promoted.

Other teams have sacked it off and won the league.

I want us to go out and win every match, no matter what the competition (especially if I've paid to go and watch it). I wouldn't ever accept less.

But I do wonder if it's a distraction. The difficulty is that it's hard to prove one way or the other.

Other teams have sacked it off and not won the league.
Posted by: BrickTop, July 5, 2015, 9:28am; Reply: 9
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

Other teams have sacked it off and not won the league.

True. Although most of the other teams you're talking about never were in with a real shout of winning the league in the first place.
Too many postponed games in this league as it is without worrying about squeezing extra F.A trophy games in.
Posted by: grimps, July 5, 2015, 11:35am; Reply: 10
Last seasons exit marked an uplift in form for us , all the other times we've still been in it have made our form dip.
Even if we got to the final I doubt anyone would be bothered about going.We only took 13000 for a play off final I doubt we'd take more than 8000 for this
Posted by: DocTower, July 5, 2015, 11:43am; Reply: 11
Unfortunately , although Wembley still holds a bit of magic , them more times we go the less magic it has become .
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 5, 2015, 12:04pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from DocTower
Unfortunately , although Wembley still holds a bit of magic , them more times we go the less magic it has become .

The problem could be with the disappointments we've had at new Wembley

If we'd had any kind of success then maybe the thought of going back might be more attractive

My thoughts of the place though are spoilt by the recent outcomes and even more so by being ripped off to go there

I couldn't for the life of me begin to consider going to a Trophy final a week after say the Bristol Rovers game....just hope it wouldn't come to that next season but you never know

Didn't I read somewhere too that the Trophy & the Vase finals were going to take place as one event? Another reason for me to say hope we don't get anything going in this tournament
Posted by: Rick12, July 5, 2015, 12:27pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from acko338
Play theReserve team !!!!!
Would tend to agree.Priority has to be the league in my opinion

Posted by: grimsby pete, July 5, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Didn't I read somewhere too that the Trophy & the Vase finals were going to take place as one event? Another reason for me to say hope we don't get anything going in this tournament

22 aside ? ;D

Posted by: GrimRob, July 5, 2015, 7:17pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimps
Last seasons exit marked an uplift in form for us , all the other times we've still been in it have made our form dip.
Even if we got to the final I doubt anyone would be bothered about going.We only took 13000 for a play off final I doubt we'd take more than 8000 for this

But if we go to both next season everyone who has booked to go to the FAT final will then have to face shelling out for another ticket in the play-off final before they have even been to watch the FAT game! I can see a lot of people deciding not to bother with the play-offs especially as they are a lot more expensive than the FAT.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 5, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 16
Let's just go up as champions (yes)(yes)(yes)(yes)
Posted by: mariner2000, July 5, 2015, 8:12pm; Reply: 17
definately hope PH sees the light this year and plays a team made up of "fringe" players.  Couldn't believe it when we had two goalies that the 2nd choice didn't get a game.  All that says to me if I was the goalie is what is the point in being here!?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 6, 2015, 1:11pm; Reply: 18
This is an improvement but it should still be a;
a) Midweek competition
b)Starting Pre-season
c) with no replays
d) tightly regionalised
e)No two legged semi-finals - neutral ground

Until these things happen it will continue to get in the way of our league programme an therefore I would advise playing the kids until we get knocked out.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 6, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

22 aside ? ;D

Very funny Pete  ;)

I knew I had seen it somewhere....on the website of that organisation, who when it comes to keeping fans happy, know sweet FA

http://www.thefa.com/news/competitions/fa-vase/2015/may/wembley-host-vase-trophy-finals-2016
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 6, 2015, 3:27pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete

22 aside ? ;D

It would give Eric Joyce or whatever his name is more excuse not to send off a goalkeeper who handled outside the box. There's bound to be at least one more defender near the goal.
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 12:46am